╌>

The IRS Makes a Strange House Call on Matt Taibbi

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  last year  •  31 comments

By:   The Editorial Board (WSJ)

The IRS Makes a Strange House Call on Matt Taibbi
An agent shows up at the home of the Twitter files journalist who testified before Congress.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Democrats are denouncing the House GOP investigation into the weaponization of government, but maybe that's because Republicans are getting somewhere. That includes new evidence that the Internal Revenue Service may be targeting a journalist who testified before the weaponization committee.

House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan sent a letter Monday to IRS Commissioner Daniel Werfel and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen seeking an explanation for why journalist Matt Taibbi received an unannounced home visit from an IRS agent. We've seen the letter, and both the circumstances and timing of the IRS focus on this journalist raise serious questions.

Mr. Taibbi has provoked the ire of Democrats and other journalists for his role in researching Twitter records and then releasing internal communications from the social-media giant that expose its censorship and its contacts with government officials. This effort has already inspired government bullying, with Chair Lina Khan’s Federal Trade Commission targeting new Twitter owner  Elon Musk  and demanding the company “identify all journalists” granted access to the Twitter files.

Now Mr. Taibbi has told Mr. Jordan’s committee that an IRS agent showed up at his personal residence in New Jersey on March 9. That happens to be the same day Mr. Taibbi testified before the Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government about what he learned about Twitter. The taxman left a note instructing Mr. Taibbi to call the IRS four days later. Mr. Taibbi was told in a call with the agent that both his 2018 and 2021 tax returns had been rejected owing to concerns over identity theft.

Mr. Taibbi has provided the committee with documentation showing his 2018 return had been electronically accepted, and he says the IRS never notified him or his accountants of a problem after he filed that 2018 return more than four-and-a-half years ago.

He says the IRS initially rejected his 2021 return, which he later refiled, and it was rejected again—even though Mr. Taibbi says his accountants refiled it with an IRS-provided pin number. Mr. Taibbi notes that in neither case was the issue “monetary,” and that the IRS owes him a “considerable” sum.

The bigger question is when did the IRS start to dispatch agents for surprise house calls? Typically when the IRS challenges some part of a tax return, it sends a dunning letter. Or it might seek more information from the taxpayer or tax preparer. If the IRS wants to audit a return, it schedules a meeting at the agent’s office. It doesn’t drop by unannounced.

The curious timing of this visit, on the heels of the FTC demand that Twitter turn over names of journalists, raises questions about potential intimidation, and Mr. Jordan is right to want to see documents and communications relating to the Taibbi visit.

The fear of many Americans is that, flush with its new $80 billion in funding from Congress, the IRS will unleash its fearsome power against political opponents. Mr. Taibbi deserves to know why the agency decided to pursue him with a very strange house call.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    last year

And they are blatant about it too!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    last year
Now Mr. Taibbi has told Mr. Jordan’s committee that an IRS agent showed up at his personal residence in New Jersey on March 9. That happens to be the same day Mr. Taibbi testified before the Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government about what he learned about Twitter. The taxman left a note instructing Mr. Taibbi to call the IRS four days later. Mr. Taibbi was told in a call with the agent that both his 2018 and 2021 tax returns had been rejected owing to concerns over identity theft.

Since when does the IRS send an agent to an individuals home to personally tell them that the IRS has issues with their tax returns?  Isn't that something that is normally handled thru the mail?  Sure seems like they were trying to send a message and it wasn't about tax returns.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Snuffy @2    last year
Since when does the IRS send an agent to an individuals home to personally tell them that the IRS has issues with their tax returns?

My thought exactly.  However our conclusions are different.  I'd like to see evidence that this "tax agent" even exists, and that he actually showed up. 

Someone like that shows up at my house, and I would assume it was a con job, since the IRS doesn't work that way.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    last year

It would be a con job; except Taibbi provided Congress proof of his 2018 tax return being rejected; as well as his 2021 tax return being rejected twice- the second time with an IRS authorized pin #.

If it was a scam how would the individual(s) even know which years to reference on the notice? Unless they have a mole within the IRS. Either way this doesn't reflect well on the IRS; nor Democrats. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  evilone  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    last year
I would assume it was a con job, since the IRS doesn't work that way.

That was pretty much my thought when I first read the article. Either Tabbi's lying, Tabbi got conned or some overzealous IRS agent is going to be unemployed. I'm sure the populists in the House will continue to make campaign donation fodder off it for at least 2 more years though.  

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.3  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.1    last year
Taibbi provided Congress proof of his 2018 tax return being rejected; as well as his 2021 tax return being rejected twice- the second time with an IRS authorized pin #.

Really? Twice now? Has the agent with that pin number OR his superior been subpoenaed to testify in the committee? None of Jordan's other sources has panned out, he should jump on this one...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ronin2  replied to  evilone @2.1.3    last year

If you didn't read the article- it isn't just Taibbi- it is his tax preparers as well. But I am sure they are all lying.

As for Jordan- no leftists will ever believe a source that proves Democrats ever did anything wrong.

"Big Brother Rules- bow down and obey!" The DNCP.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.5  evilone  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.4    last year
it is his tax preparers as well.

That would makes sense IF the accusations are legitimate. Who at the IRS has been subpoenaed to testify? Other than "suspicions" what do we have? I want facts. IF the IRS is targeting Taibbi and others then heads should roll, but so far all I hear are suspicions or coincidental timelines. So lets get someone in there to confirm or deny the accusations. I mean if this is MORE than just an overzealous agent then it wouldn't be difficult for Jordan to parade them in front of cameras. So far all he's done is send a letter to Janet Yellen... where are the subpoenas?

EDIT: If the charge for denial was suspicion of identify theft AND the tax preparers tried to e-file the same return twice would you NOT expect the IRS to ask the preparers questions?

George
Sophomore Expert
2.1.6  George  replied to  evilone @2.1.5    last year
where are the subpeoneas?

Gee, Maybe just maybe Jordan isn't a grandstanding bitch like the Jan 6 committee or like that piece of crap Swalwell or Schiff, and has given them the courtesy of responding via written response so it doesn't turn into another DNC circus before resorting to subpoenas. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.7  evilone  replied to  George @2.1.6    last year
Maybe just maybe Jordan isn't a grandstanding bitch

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I needed a laugh this morning, thanks!

George
Sophomore Expert
2.1.8  George  replied to  evilone @2.1.7    last year

It appears that is accurate based on his behavior, but laugh away. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.9  evilone  replied to  George @2.1.8    last year
It appears that is accurate based on his behavior, but laugh away. 

Your fake ignorance of Jordan's behavior is pretty funny. It's almost as funny as Jordan's effectiveness in finding the Dems weaponized government against conservatives. The only debate going is if this committee is more 3 Stooges or more Keystone Cops? What is not debatable is how much Jordan, McCarthy and company are making in donor cash off outraging their voters.

Raising cash worked so well for Dem Jan 6th Committee why not for Republicans on a dems are screwing conservatives committee? The resulted outcome of both of these committees looks to be the same...

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Ozzwald  replied to  evilone @2.1.9    last year
The only debate going is if this committee is more 3 Stooges or more Keystone Cops?

The committee lost what little credibility it may have had when it decided to interfere in Trump's alleged arrest with NY DA Bragg.  The committee tried to force itself into a situation where it had no legal standing, all at the behest of Trump's lawyers.

This may be the first time a House committee is forced to investigate itself, in how it was turned into a governmental weapon to protect republicans and prosecute democrats..

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.11  evilone  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.10    last year
The committee lost what little credibility it may have had when it decided to interfere in Trump's alleged arrest with NY DA Bragg.

They didn't have any credibility to begin with. Zero, nada, none... It was only formed because McCarthy's ego to be Speaker was bigger than his honor and he had to capitulate to the morons in the party to get there. 

This may be the first time a House committee is forced to investigate itself, in how it was turned into a governmental weapon to protect republicans and prosecute democrats..

Well we all know that won't happen, but will happen is the Dems will use it to generate outrage on the left to drum up votes and donor cash, like they did the overturning of Roe in the mid-terms. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.10    last year
The committee lost what little credibility it may have had when it decided to interfere in Trump's alleged arrest with NY DA Bragg. 

What was the result of this alleged interference? Did it prevent Bragg from doing his job in any way?

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.13  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.12    last year
What was the result of this alleged interference?

Bragg told Jordan and Comer to take their letters and shove up their turd pipes. Pretty much the same as I'm expecting Yellen to do with the letter she just got from Jordan.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @2.1.13    last year

So despite your histrionics and false claims, there was no interference. Glad we settled THAT!

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.15  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.14    last year
So despite your histrionics and false claims...

What false claims?

... there was no interference. Glad we settled THAT!

I'm happy to help! jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @2.1.15    last year
What false claims?

About interference! 

Don't you ever remember what Ozzwald wrote?

Here you go to refresh your memory:

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.17  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.16    last year
About interference! 

Here you go to refresh your memory:

I know you have issues with the English language, but could you please point out where I said that they'd succeeded in interfering?  Just because they "decided" to interfere does not mean they were successful.

Remember, "trying" to rob a bank is as illegal as successfully robbing a bank it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.17    last year
I know you have issues with the English language, but could you please point out where I said that they'd succeeded in interfering?

Only when people try to play word games.

I never said you stated they SUCCESSFULLY interfered, but even you can't deny you wrote they were interfered with.

They were not.

Not one thing hampered or diminished the DA's ability to prosecute his case.

Please learn to be more creative in your insults to me, I would love to read something--anything--new from you on that front. I feel you can do better.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.19  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.16    last year
About interference! 

I never made a claim the interference. 

I'm not Ozzwald. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @2.1.19    last year

You liked his comment and chimed in.

No one said you are Ozzwald.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.21  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.20    last year
You liked his comment and chimed in.

You chimed in also, which means (by your logic) that you liked my comment as well.  Gosh thanks Texan.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.21    last year
You chimed in also, which means (by your logic) that you liked my comment as well.

Do I seriously have to explain to a grown-ass adult the difference between 'liking' a comment and 'chiming in'?

Here is a real hint for you so you can reduce your confusion in the future:

IF the day comes I 'like' a comment from you, simply click on the little green thumbs up icon and see if I like it. If my name doesn't appear, you can rest assured I didn't like it.

Try using a little of THAT logic before your next reply.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    last year

Democrats/leftists wonder why those on the right don't trust the federal government; or their attempts at increasing the power of it 

Democrats need to stop taking lessons from the CCP. 

Hallux
Masters Principal
4  Hallux    last year

Something about this story stinks, and no don't ask what it is ... conjecture leads to a cliff.

JumpDrive
Freshman Silent
4.1  JumpDrive  replied to  Hallux @4    last year

Yet another case of the right hyperventilating about nothing; like Taibbi’s twitter files dud. In the past few years, identity theft with tax return filing has increased by 45%. Scammers have discovered another way to steal, and the IRS is trying to stop them. You know, so you get your refund! I got one of these letters. I emailed my accountant and he said a few people got them and to simply call the IRS. I called and, a few minutes later, the possible identity theft issue was resolved. Matt Taibbi refuses to talk about this at all, probably because the ‘agent’ who delivered this letter was the postman. While the IRS is required to make first contact in person for serious problems, this isn’t one of those. Let’s see how the IRS responds.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5  Texan1211    last year

What an absolutely amazing "coincidence" that the first contact the IRS made with him was right at the time he was set to testify.

I mean, what are the odds of that happening?

Hallux
Masters Principal
5.1  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @5    last year
I mean, what are the odds of that happening?

The same as a 2022 red wave?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @5.1    last year
The same as a 2022 red wave?

Well, the GOP did take the House, so there's that, of course.

Nothing like comparing apples to orangutans!