╌>

Conservative House Republicans knock debt ceiling deal | The Hill

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  11 months ago  •  32 comments

By:   Lauren Sforza (The Hill)

Conservative House Republicans knock debt ceiling deal  | The Hill
Conservative House Republicans are already voicing criticism about the agreement in principle to cap spending and raise the debt ceiling announced late Saturday as the White House and GOP leadership work to avoid a default on the nation's debt. Rep. Dan Bishop (R) tweeted a vomiting emoji to express his thoughts on the proposed…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

by Lauren Sforza - 05/28/23 8:51 AM ET

Conservative House Republicans are already voicing criticism about the agreement in principle to cap spending and raise the debt ceiling announced late Saturday as the White House and GOP leadership work to avoid a default on the nation's debt.

"Actually, it's so bad they won't give a figure for the debt ceiling hike … only that it's suspended til Q1 2025. Our bill was a year less," Bishop added.

Additionally, Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas) tweeted: "I do not like the 'deal' as I understand it from the cheerleading so far… I will have more to follow once I see more details."

Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.), meanwhile, said that he is "appalled by the debt ceiling surrender" McCarthy outlined Saturday evening.

"The bottom line is that the U.S. will have $35 trillion of debt in January, 2025. That is completely unacceptable," Buck tweeted.

President Biden and McCarthy announced that the two sides came to an agreement in principle late Saturday, and the release of the legislative text could come as early as Sunday. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen warned last week that without congressional action, the country could default on June 5, a deadline that McCarthy says Congress will meet.

McCarthy said he expects the House to hold a vote as soon as Wednesday, when the bill likely will face challenges from conservative GOP members.

The conservative House Freedom Caucus laid out its spending cap demands earlier this year, with the members saying they wanted to cap overall discretionary spending at fiscal 2022 levels for 10 years while allowing for 1 percent growth per year.

"We've got a serious proposal. We urge our colleagues on the Republican side and the Democrat side to come along. If you don't like what we've offered - bless you, that's fine. What have you got to offer?" Freedom Caucus Chairman Scott Perry (R-Pa.) said at the time.

Former President Trump at a CNN town hall earlier this month urged Republicans to allow the nation to default on its debt unless Biden agreed to "massive" cuts. Senate Republicans disavowed his comments, with many saying that they could not allow the U.S. to default.

Tags Chip Roy Chip Roy Dan Bishop Dan Bishop debt ceiling Donald Trump Janet Yellen Joe Biden Ken Buck Ken Buck Kevin McCarthy President Joe Biden Scott Perry

Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    11 months ago

Intransigent MAGAs are being "Econo-Terrorists"!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    11 months ago

meh, I was kind of looking forward to seeing the maga elderly and veterans eating dog food while waiting by their mailboxes for those entitlement checks, not to mention the potential for violent backlash against republicans in general worldwide, oh well. mccarthy is still going to lose his chair when the maga domestic terrorists step further into 2024 psycho mode.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.1  bugsy  replied to  devangelical @1.1    11 months ago

It has always been known that the far left hates this country, the military, and by extension...veterans, wishing they eat dog food.

Pretty much clears up why some leftists spell American with a small "a".

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  bugsy @1.1.1    11 months ago

I think it's pretty funny and typical how right wing fascists advocate unconstitutional policies while hypocritically hiding behind that same constitution. I don't hate this country, the military, and especially those who have served. I don't hate people that are too ignorant and gullible to vote for their own interests and support those that don't care one bit about them, but I do think that when their personal voting decisions come back to affect all of americans, they specifically should be the first to suffer. especially those that took a nonpartisan oath to defend the constitution against what the politicians they so happily vote for advocate. that oath continues to apply to them while they're still breathing, and just because they wore that uniform in the past, it doesn't provide cover for any willfully chosen unconstitutional political ideologies in the present.

I do hate populist conservative fascism that's heavily seasoned with religious cult dogma and is based upon ideals that are contrary to the constitution. if those morons want a 21st century xtian sparta, fine, they can pack their bags and go start one somewhere else. they can go practice their warped versions of peace, charity and love to their hearts content, and they can leave their passports at the gate on the way out. good riddance. the rules here are set and a minority of morons aren't going to dictate policy for the majority and expect there won't be a backlash. it's in our history and our DNA.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    11 months ago
I think it's pretty funny and typical how right wing fascists advocate unconstitutional policies while hypocritically hiding behind that same constitution.

Is this stuff coming from MSNBC or something?

George
Junior Expert
1.1.4  George  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    11 months ago
I don't hate people that are too ignorant and gullible to vote for their own interests

This sums up my problem with so many of the left, I vote what I feel will be best for the country, not for who I think will do the most for me.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1.2    11 months ago
I don't hate people that are too ignorant and gullible to vote for their own interests

You don't hate them but feel qualified to tell them how they should vote.

Interesting.

How'd you get to know all these people so well?

George
Junior Expert
1.1.6  George  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    11 months ago

If you don’t know what’s good for you, ask me.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  George @1.1.6    11 months ago

Sorry, it appears the job has been taken already!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2  SteevieGee    11 months ago

Sounds to me like Biden "owned" the cons again and, if you believe them, he did it in his sleep.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1  devangelical  replied to  SteevieGee @2    11 months ago

George
Junior Expert
3  George    11 months ago

Biden got rolled and the left is trying to somehow spin it into a win?

Work requirement raised 

no new spending.

cut funds to the IRS.

repayment started for student loans.

please articulate what Biden got other than embarrassed.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4  SteevieGee    11 months ago

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    11 months ago

From the start, I've been saying that Biden should refuse any negotiation. He has been smarter than that, setting up an intra-gop bloodbath.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    11 months ago

Exactly, brilliant strategy to negotiate without negotiating on the debt limit.  The Consumer Confidence Index is an unimportant indicator anyhow, so it was worth sacrificing.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.2  devangelical  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    11 months ago

we shouldn't negotiate with terrorists, foreign or domestic...

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  devangelical @5.2    11 months ago
we shouldn't negotiate with terrorists, foreign or domestic...

I’m glad that Biden got Brittney Griner out of the Russian Gulag. 

George
Junior Expert
6  George    11 months ago

Just saw on CBS that the progressive caucus told Jeffries they won’t support him, democrats are trying to hold the economy hostage, good thing they don’t matter.

McCarthy only needs 1 vote over half the republicans and Jeffries only needs one vote over half and it passes in spite of what all the chicken littles try to gin up with their fear mongering. Jeffries says he has the votes and McCarthy has 150. 
Biden got rolled and only partisans are still hopeful for conflict.

Hallux
PhD Principal
6.1  Hallux  replied to  George @6    11 months ago
Biden got rolled

No one got 'rolled' other than those on the far left and the far right.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7  Jack_TX    11 months ago

So... we have an "agreement in principle" with no details or text. 

So naturally, all the partisans are doing a victory dance.

That's not moronic or anything.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
7.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Jack_TX @7    11 months ago

A good negotiator can get most of what he wants and still allow his rivals to claim victory.

George
Junior Expert
7.1.1  George  replied to  SteevieGee @7.1    11 months ago

List everything Biden got that wasn’t already in the house Bill, 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  SteevieGee @7.1    11 months ago

The Dems should have raised the limit in Nov 22.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  SteevieGee @7.1    11 months ago
A good negotiator can get most of what he wants and still allow his rivals to claim victory.

Do we actually know yet?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
7.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  George @7.1.1    11 months ago

He got the debt limit raised.  That's everything he wanted.  That is unless McCarthy promised something he can't deliver.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @7.1.4    11 months ago

The House-passed bill already raised it.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
7.1.6  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.5    11 months ago

The house passed bill is doa in the Senate.

George
Junior Expert
7.1.7  George  replied to  SteevieGee @7.1.6    11 months ago

So Schumer is a worthless obstructionist. How about the lazy piece of crap do his job.

George
Junior Expert
7.1.8  George  replied to  SteevieGee @7.1.4    11 months ago

So he wanted the work requirement raised for welfare?

He wanted student loan payments restarted?

He wanted part of the IRS budget slashed that he worked so hard to get passed?

McCarthy rolled Biden. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @7.1.6    11 months ago
The house passed bill is doa in the Senate

Well, then, just like it was a McCarthy problem UNTIL he passed a bill, it is now little Chucky's problem in the Senate.

When is Chuck going to herd his cats?

devangelical
Professor Principal
8  devangelical    11 months ago

the freedom caucus will probably reject the compromise before the house vote.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @8    11 months ago

or maybe The Squad will torpedo the deal.