╌>

You Don’t Have to Cremate Your Cat

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  hallux  •  11 months ago  •  7 comments

By:   Eleanor Cummins - The Atlantic

You Don’t Have to Cremate Your Cat
“Aquamation” is becoming more common for animals as a greener alternative to cremation.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When a pet is dying, many people reach out to their veterinarian one last time. By default, many vets double as undertakers, passing on a pet’s body to a regional crematorium that accepts animal remains. The owner pays the vet a fee for the arrangements, and the crematorium may return the remains in a small urn, an unassuming memorial to a lost companion.

Pet cremation has been common in the United States for decades now: Some of the first dedicated facilities popped up in the 1970s and ’80s as the practice slowly   gained purchase   among humans. Since then, cremation has become so much the default for pets and humans alike that many owners aren’t aware they have other options, Donna Shugart-Bethune, the executive director of the   International Association of Pet Cemeteries and Crematories , told me. But animals remain on the leading edge of deathcare. Techniques first used to handle the remains of livestock and lab animals have become more common for well-loved pets: One such tactic, called alkaline hydrolysis, involves rapidly decomposing a body in a stream of water.

So-called “aquamation” has the advantage of offering pet owners a futuristic, planet-friendly alternative to cremation and burial. Although sustainability is hardly the first thing anyone thinks of when a beloved dog or cat dies, these decisions quickly add up. No one burial or cremation extracts such a terrible toll on the environment, but in the aggregate, the remains of pets and humans have a significant impact.

One major cost of cremation is the carbon dioxide these flaming chambers release. Burial may look better: If pets are interred in a pine box or some other natural container, the animal’s body will decompose rapidly, says Ed Martin, the vice president of   Hartsdale Pet Cemetery . But metal or plastic containers will sit in the soil for decades. Among the more taxing impacts of burial is when land is permanently set aside for graves (rather than, say, for forests or prairies), and those graves are artfully maintained using significant amounts of water, pesticides, and more. Of course, burying a fish in a backyard doesn’t have a global land-use impact, but many Americans don’t have their own land for a burial or live someplace where backyard burials are impossible.

Aquamation, by contrast, is compact and efficient, and generates no direct emissions of its own (unlike, say, a fire), making it one of the greenest means of final disposition.

The process is fairly simple. Over a 20-hour cycle, alkalized water decomposes all of the body’s proteins and fats. The water drains into the local wastewater system. When the timer dings, all that is left of the pet are the bones, which an operator removes and pulverizes as one would in a typical flame cremation. Staff may also return those remains to the owner. By some estimates, aquamation has about  one-tenth  of the environmental impact of flame cremation or, if operators purchase their electricity from renewable sources, even less.

At   Resting Waters , a boutique pet funeral home in West Seattle, sisters Joslin Roth and Darci Bernard aquamate a few thousand animals each year. They own and operate two machines, both manufactured by   Bio-Response Solutions , that have capacities of 100 pounds and 400 pounds, respectively. That allows the company to aquamate anywhere from one to 28 small animals—arranged in their own individual   Tetris -like pod—at a time. Services range from $90 for the smallest critters to $550 for bigger animals, and end up costing more than   typical flame cremation . Today, there are about 400 animal-aquamation machines in the world, says Samantha Sieber, the vice president of Bio-Response Solutions, including about 20 super-size systems for horses. Many regions in the U.S. have dedicated, easily located pet-aquamation companies with competitive prices. In the future, vets might offer the service directly. “It’s a great model for veterinarians to be able to offer and cut out the middleman,” Roth told me.

No matter what path pet owners choose, memorialization is possible. At Hartsdale Pet Cemetery, owners typically choose large stone headstones, similar in design to those in human cemeteries but more expressive: Engraved silhouettes, enameled photos of pets in life, engraved nicknames, and religious symbols abound. “When you walk around here, there’s a lot of whimsy,” Martin, the vice president of the cemetery, told me. The same is true of   pet urns , which can be customized in innumerable ways, including with paw prints or nose prints.

But there are more sustainable and less expensive ways of honoring a beloved pet too: Resting Waters will clean and prepare pets for viewing before they are placed in the aquamation chamber. People also ask for fur or whisker clippings, and sometimes for whole bones (instead of crushed remains). In-person or Zoom funerals, attended by close friends and family, can help owners grieve. And funeral offerings are always changing as the industry responds to the needs of consumers. Whereas human deathcare can feel locked in by tradition, Roth observed that “there’s something about our pets that gives us agency.”

Today, alkaline hydrolysis is an option for animals nationwide and is legal for humans in  28 states  (although it’s not always available). It’s only the most recent evidence that the death of our animals helps us experiment with new ways to channel our grief and imagine our own death.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    11 months ago

My daughter is thrilled to have multiple options when the time comes to dispense my future remains. I'm fine with being tossed into a dumpster.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1    11 months ago

I'm trying to talk my kids into giving me a cinder block belt buckle and then dropping me into some deep water when I croak. after splitting my social security until I'm in my 90's, they can have me declared missing...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @1.1    11 months ago

I'm dropping Mr G off at his favorite fishing hole with only enough food to live for a few days and his favorite fly rod. This is when his mind goes that is

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Hallux  replied to  devangelical @1.1    11 months ago

Make sure they cast your votes.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Hallux @1.1.2    11 months ago

sorry, none of my kids are republicans, they were raised correctly...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    11 months ago
The process is fairly simple. Over a 20-hour cycle, alkalized water decomposes all of the body’s proteins and fats. The water drains into the local wastewater system.

I assume that someone has carefully studied this so there is no impact on the waste water treatment plant. They really hate when people put fats down their drains

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    11 months ago

It was almost 40 years ago that our cat was cremated, well before global warming became such an issue, and we buried the ashes in our back yard in the middle of 3 young pine trees.  Thinking back, since we buried the ashes it probably would have been more nourishing for the trees had we buried the whole body, but when a loved pet dies one may not think perfectly rationally and back then did accept the advice of the vet whom I now realize must have gained some financial benefit from the cost of the cremation.