╌>

Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh speaks out at pro-life event

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sparty-on  •  3 months ago  •  26 comments

By:   Kirkland Crawford (USA TODAY)

Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh speaks out at pro-life event
Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh lent his celebrity and his voice to a pro-life event on Sunday, sharing his reasoning why he's against abortion.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Kirkland CrawfordDetroit Free Press

Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh lent his celebrity and voice to a pro-life event on Sunday in Plymouth, Michigan, sharing his reasoning why he's against abortion.

According to the Detroit Catholic publication, Harbaugh and his wife, Sarah, were speakers at the Plymouth Right to Life event at the Inn at St. John's, designed to raise money for several pro-life charities and programs in southeast Michigan.

"In God's plan, each unborn human truly has a future filled with potential, talent, dreams and love," Harbaugh said. "I have living proof in my family, my children, and the many thousands that I've coached that the unborn are amazing gifts from God to make this world a better place. To me, the right choice is to have the courage to let the unborn be born."

STAY UP-TO-DATE:Subscribe to our Sports newsletter now!

The abortion debate has been reignited across the country after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned the Roe v. Wade decision, sending the decision back to individual states.

Abortions are currently legal in Michigan because a state judge in May issued an injunction against a 1931 law allowing the procedure only when "necessary to preserve the life of such woman."

Sharing the stage with the Rev. John Riccardo, founder of Acts XXIX, a Catholic organization designed to support other clergy, Harbaugh spoke of courage necessary to stand up for one's beliefs.

"I believe in having the courage to let the unborn be born," Harbaugh said, according to the Detroit Catholic. "I love life. I believe in having a loving care and respect for life and death. My faith and my science are what drives these beliefs in me."

More:Gov. Whitmer announces more budget vetoes, mostly tied to curbs on abortion rights

More:'On The Line' podcast: An illegal warehouse abortion in 1966

The Michigan coach has not shied away from political stances during his tenure in Ann Arbor. During the beginning of the Colin Kaepernick controversy, Harbaugh first said in 2016 he didn't "respect the motivation or the action." He later called Kaepernick a hero and hosted his former Super Bowl quarterback to a throwing exhibition during Michigan's spring game in April.

In 2017, Harbaugh spoke in Washington about his involvement with the Legal Services Corporation, addressing the access to justice for low-income Americans.

In 2020, Harbaugh spoke out against the death of George Floyd, the Black man killed by a police officer kneeling on his neck in Minneapolis. He also attended an anti-police brutality march in Ann Arbor a few days later.

Sarah Harbaugh, who spoke after her husband and Riccardo, said there is some thought that their pro-life stance may impact the Wolverines on the recruiting trail, but the couple are not worried about it.

"During halftime of a game, talking with the players, I say they are here because they have chosen to be here," Jim Harbaugh said according to the publication. "If someone believes in what they stand for, they are choosing to stand for that position, and what kind of person are you if you don't fight tooth and nail for what you stand for? You get to change hearts by fighting for what you stand for."

Harbaugh, the father of seven including Jay, one of his assistant coaches at Michigan, said his views on abortion were shaped by his own parents

"Passions can make the process messy, but when combined with respect, it ultimately produces the best outcomes," Harbaugh said according to the Detroit Catholic. "This process has been passionate and messy, but I have faith in the American people to ultimately develop the right policies and laws for all lives involved. I recognize one's personal thinking regarding morality of a particular action may differ from their thinking on whether government should make that action illegal. There are many things one may hold to be immoral, but the government appropriately allows because of some greater good or personal or constitutional right."

Harbaugh then said while the rights of the mother and the rights of the unborn child may conflict, the choice should be in favor of the child.

Between the dinner, auction of Michigan football items and other prizes, and other donations, some $144,000 were raised at the sold-out event. One person reportedly pledged $2,300 to catch a pass in the ballroom from Harbaugh.

Follow Kirkland Crawford on Twitter @HiKirkHere.

Featured Weekly Ad

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sparty On    3 months ago

Good for him for putting himself out there.

I was saying he was staying at Michigan through all this talk of him going back to the pro’s but this makes one believe he is leaving.    UofM is going to flip over this.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @1    3 months ago

He's secure enough at this point in his career  that he can speak out.  He'd have a very hard time getting another job if he were a young coach without decades of success and a national championship under his belt. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1    3 months ago
He'd have a very hard time getting another job if he were a young coach without decades of success and a national championship under his belt.

That sounds like nonsense to me. Sports is generally a conservative space, certainly for the hirers and firers. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    3 months ago

Sports in general are.

Colleges aren't.

He and Michigan were already on the outs well before this. That is if you bothered to follow the Michigan season.

Harbaugh won his national championship- now it is a bidding war (and where he wants to go) for what NFL team will land his services.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1    3 months ago

Harbaugh has been outspoken from the start.    I don’t always agree with him but I respect him.    An ability totally missing from many partisans these days.    Being to respect someone you disagree with.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.2    3 months ago

You think liberals or progressives are hired as college football coaches ?  LOL. 

Coaching football lends itself to a conservative outlook. The same would apply to grammar school coaches. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 months ago

He can do whatever he likes, just like the rest of us. I doubt though that Jim Harbaugh's appearance at a pro life rally will change any opinions about abortion. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    3 months ago

How many of Coach Harbaugh's players caused a girl to want an abortion?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1  SteevieGee  replied to  charger 383 @3    3 months ago

I think that's what the stickers on the back of their helmets are for.

[This stands.  It is a direct response to a comment to which the seeder also responded, and is therefore fair play.]

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1    3 months ago

Yes, all college football players are knocking up girls and display them by putting little football (or whatever type) stickers on their helmets.

jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.2  devangelical  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1    3 months ago

nah, coach hands those stickers out with a towel as the players leave the locker room showers...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @3    3 months ago

How many “girls” got pregnant chasing a college football player?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.2.1  charger 383  replied to  Sparty On @3.2    3 months ago

and how many wanted to stay that way?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @3.2.1    3 months ago

Too many probably, that didn’t want to take responsibility for their chosen actions.

Where does personal responsibility come into play for you?    Ever?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.2.3  charger 383  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.2    3 months ago

Always,  Keep problems from happing, if possible.  If problems occur fix before it gets worse and try not to make my problems cost or bother others.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.2.4  charger 383  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.2    3 months ago

"didn’t want to take responsibility for their chosen actions."

abortion is taking responsibility and is cost effective. 

I have heard rumors that boosters have paid for abortions to keep star players out of trouble. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.5  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  charger 383 @3.2.4    3 months ago

Boosters pay for a lot of inappropriate things.    Likely always will.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.2.6  charger 383  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.5    3 months ago

Some boosters will do Anything to help their team win and always will

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    3 months ago

Jim Harbaugh should opt to not have an abortion and keep his pristine vagina intact.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    3 months ago

Pretty sure he feels the same way about your opinion.

But hey, that’s just my opinion.    I could be wrong.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    3 months ago

I wonder if he has an opinion on your vagina.  It seems a little irritated.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.1    3 months ago

Exactly, if you’re on the wrong side you should just shut the fuck up!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.1    3 months ago

lol …. Be angry less.  

You’ll live longer.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.2    3 months ago

Those on the right side all at least have a vagina.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.3    3 months ago

Exactly, think healthspan, not lifespan.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.6  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1.4    3 months ago
Those on the right side all at least have a vagina.

Good for them, it's the happiest place that I've been too.