╌>

Students at California school struggling after $250K in federal funds spent on ‘Woke Kindergarten’ program

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  s  •  3 months ago  •  43 comments

Students at California school struggling after $250K in federal funds spent on ‘Woke Kindergarten’ program

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Students at a   San Francisco Bay-area   elementary school — where officials hired a for-profit company called "Woke Kindergarten" to train teachers — are continuing to struggle with some of the lowest math and reading scores in the state, according to a report. 

The school spent $250,000 in federal funds provided by a program meant to help boost test scores for some of the country’s lowest-performing schools, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, but after two years with "Woke Kindergarten," students’ scores are reportedly worse. 

In a 4% drop in both areas in the last two years, less than 12% of the students at Glassbrook Elementary in   Hayward, California , can read at their grade level and under 4% are proficient in math, according to the Chronicle. 

Hayward Unified School District   Superintendent Jason Reimann told the Chronicle that hiring "Woke Kindergarten," which he said was supported by the parents and teachers after it was approved by the board, was more about boosting attendance than test scores. He said attendance has gone up almost 20%. 

He said, "helping students feel safe and whole is part and parcel of academic achievement. I get that it’s more money than we would have liked to have spent."

He added, "We are in favor 100% of abolishing systems of oppression where they hold our students back. What I do believe is we should pick providers based on their work and how effective they are."

"Woke Kindergarten" describes itself on its website as "supporting children, families, educators and organizations in their commitment to abolitionist early education and pro-black and queer and trans liberation."

The organization also has "Woke" words of the day like "ceasefire" "abolish" and "Woke Wonderings" about challenging the "legitimacy of the Supreme Court" and abolishing the police, money and the military. 

Another "wondering" asked, "If the United States defunded the Israeli military, how could this money be used to rebuild Palestine?"

"Our reading scores are low," a Glassbrook teacher, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Chronicle. The funds "could have gotten us a reading interventionist."

The teacher added of the "Woke Kindergarten" training, "It slowly became very apparent if you were a dissenting voice that it’s not what they wanted to hear." 

Tiger Craven-Neeley, another teacher at the school, told the Chronicle that "Woke Kindergarten" trainers told him he should focus on "disrupt[ing] Whiteness" in the classroom.

"What does that mean?" he said to the Chronicle. "I just want to know, what does that mean for a third-grade classroom?"

Craven-Neeley, who said he supports discussing racism in the classroom, said his requests for clarifications got him temporarily banned from training sessions.

He added that one of the trainers referred to the "so-called United States" in one of the sessions. 

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Sean Treacy    3 months ago

Come to California. We won't teach your kids to read, but we'll teach them to hate other students and hate the USA. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1    3 months ago

Great use of funds.

You get what you elect, folks

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1    3 months ago
ou get what you elect, folks

Really amazing that actual government officials looked at this program and said "yeah, let's focus on training our kids at one of the worst performing schools in the entire state to be racist, rather than worrying about their reading skills."   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.1    3 months ago
Really amazing

It's Cali.

Nothing is really surprising in that state currently.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Sean Treacy    3 months ago

Here's the person making bank indoctrinating kids into racism. 

“I believe Israel has no right to exist. I believe the United States has no right to exist. I believe every settler colony who has committed genocide against native peoples has no right to exist"

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1  charger 383  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    3 months ago

If you go far enough back in history, that statement would apply to everybody, including the speaker.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    3 months ago

Damn, why would you send your kids to a nuthouse like this?    Blame for this one has to go on parents who support it by sending their kids there.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @3    3 months ago

I wonder how many know? and those that go to the schoolboard and complain about it get treated like terrorists by the Biden DOJ. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @3    3 months ago
Damn, why would you send your kids to a nuthouse like this?

probably because many can't afford a good private school.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2    3 months ago

Yeah, my parents couldn’t have afforded it unless tax money would have followed us.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.1    3 months ago
ouldn’t have afforded it unless tax money would have followed us.

That's why they oppose school choice laws so strenuously. They have to ensure kids are exposed to this toxicity at an early age. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.1    3 months ago
Yeah, my parents couldn’t have afforded it unless tax money would have followed us.

It has to be worse in Cali with the cost of living there. Many can't afford rent, never mind private school tuition, and in many cases both  parents are working so that takes the home-school option away, too.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.2    3 months ago

Yep

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4  Drinker of the Wry    3 months ago

Some Glassbrook teachers have questioned the decision to bring in the program, saying Woke Kindergarten is wrongly rooted in progressive politics and activism with anti-police, anti-capitalism and anti-Israel messages mixed in with the goal of making schools safe, joyful and supportive for all children.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4    3 months ago

I guess making schools a place of learning is passe now.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
5  Drinker of the Wry    3 months ago

"But two years into the three-year contract with Woke Kindergarten, a for-profit company, student achievement at Glassbrook has fallen, prompting some teachers to question whether the money was well-spent given the needs of the students, who are predominantly low-income. Two-thirds of the students are English learners and more than 80% are Hispanic/Latino.

English and math scores hit new lows last spring, with less than 4% of students proficient in math and just under 12% at grade level in English — a decline of about 4 percentage points in each category."

Obviously, math and reading are of lower priorities.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @5    3 months ago
Obviously, math and reading are of lower priorities.

If the scores are low, isn't that all the proof ever needed that math and English are racist?

/s

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
6  Drinker of the Wry    3 months ago

Woke Kindergarten Website, it would be comical if it wasn't so damaging to already disadvantaged children.

Well the country needs lawn care workers and room painters and house cleaners.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6    3 months ago

Gotta love that "Lil Comrades Convos"!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @6    3 months ago
Well the country needs lawn care workers and room painters and house cleaners.

Well, it is possible we have enough immigrants now to pick crops, so they will need to branch out into other fields.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7  Drinker of the Wry    3 months ago

We seem to be missing our Woke NT this afternoon.

GregTx
PhD Guide
7.1  GregTx  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7    3 months ago

Day-drinking, I'm sure they'll be here shortly. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.1.1  afrayedknot  replied to  GregTx @7.1    3 months ago

“Day-drinking,…”

Going on 14 months sober. Part of the hard job is dealing with flippant comments such as this. You haven’t a clue, sir, or you would leave it at the door. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.1    3 months ago
Going on 14 months sober.

Congrats on that.

Part of the hard job is dealing with flippant comments such as this.

Not really all that hard at all, I have been doing it for 23 years in the 22 of February.

GregTx
PhD Guide
7.1.3  GregTx  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.1    3 months ago
Going on 14 months sober.

Good on you Afrayedknot.

Part of the hard job is dealing with flippant comments such as this. You haven’t a clue, sir, or you would leave it at the door. 

You're right, I don't have a clue as to why someone would take a comment on the internet that wasn't directed at them personally. Or is that you identify as "Woke NT"?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.2    3 months ago

Wow, the empathy and compassion are quite underwhelming.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7.1.5  Right Down the Center  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.1    3 months ago
Going on 14 months sober. Part of the hard job is dealing with flippant comments such as this. You haven’t a clue, sir, or you would leave it at the door. 

Of course that is great news.  I am not sure the internet (especially forums) is the best place to be if you are trying to avoid flippant comments about drinking.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7.1.6  Right Down the Center  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.4    3 months ago

How much empathy or compassion do you have for any Republican or heaven forbid a Trump supporter?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.1.7  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.4    3 months ago

It's a fair trade, as San Francisco loses retail, it gains Woke Kindergarten.

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.1.8  afrayedknot  replied to  Right Down the Center @7.1.5    3 months ago

“I am not sure the internet (especially forums) is the best place to be…”

Fair enough. We all seem addicted to one thing or another…peace. 

afrayedknot
Junior Quiet
7.1.9  afrayedknot  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.2    3 months ago

“Not really all that hard at all,…”

Promised myself a while back I wouldn’t waste my time with you, but this requires a response.

If you are indeed 23 years in, good on you.  

But for anyone who has dealt with it, gone through it or going through the program to dismiss it as ‘not really hard at all’ is beyond the scope of understanding, and actually beyond believable.

Suggest a meeting may be in order to discuss the realities and get back in touch. I’d be honored to hook you up. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.9    3 months ago

hard pass.

JBB
Professor Principal
7.1.11  JBB  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.9    3 months ago

Personally I'll take a genial alcoholic over a mean dry drunk.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.4    3 months ago

I doubt you have any experience with it, so I will leave your comment there.

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7.1.13  Right Down the Center  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.8    3 months ago
We all seem addicted to one thing or another…

Not that it compares but as an Italian diabetic my wife has to physically stop me from going into bakery's that have Sfogliatelle.  Peace 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  afrayedknot @7.1.9    3 months ago

In time, remarks meant for the general public won't feel so personal as you gain peace and the knowledge that not everyone is the same.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2  Texan1211  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7    3 months ago
We seem to be missing our Woke NT this afternoon.

It must be too hard to defend the indefensible.

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
7.2.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2    3 months ago

Hard and embarrassing.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @7.2    3 months ago

They say it's the sincerest form of flattery, I'm not impressed.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @7.2.2    3 months ago

who do you think is flattering anyone?

Right Down the Center
Senior Guide
7.3  Right Down the Center  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @7    3 months ago

Licking their wounds from getting trounced last week.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8  Texan1211    3 months ago

Here is who "Woke Kindergarten" proclaims to be:

Akiea “Ki” Gross (they/them) is an abolitionist early educator, cultural organizer and creator currently innovating ways to resist, heal, liberate and create with their pedagogy, Woke Kindergarten.

"They" is a bunch of idiots!

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
9  Drinker of the Wry    3 months ago

Meanwhile on our other coast, the founding member's of Woke Kindergarten refers to Israel as a “made-up place,” was hired by NUC’s Museum of Modern Art to develop and conduct MLK workshop about climate change.

Akiea ‘Kiki’ Gross is pro-black, queer and transgender early educator Akiea ‘Ki’ Gross, who uses they/them pronouns.

Them had suggesting children can use “tree” as a pronoun. This suggestion was in an audio book to avoid discriminating against the illiterate.