╌>

The Brawl in The Fall (PG Version Just the Facts)

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  3 months ago  •  24 comments

By:   Andrew Dorn

The Brawl in The Fall (PG Version Just the Facts)
"You Can't Handle the Truth", Col Jessup in A Few Good Men

Although I plan to vote for neither Trump nor Biden in the November, I thought it might spur and interesting debate and discussion if we looked at the two candidates likely to head the ballot in November.

I agree with a lot of pollsters, millions of Americans and some leading political experts in both parties that are totally disappointed that these two ****** are the best that the two major political parties can offer to the American people. 

**Original descriptor of Trump and Biden removed so as not to hurt anyone's feelings**

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

When it comes to the presidential election, 40% of Americans say the economy is the most important issue in determining who they vote for,  according to a NewsNation/Decision Desk HQ poll . Immigration (17%) and abortion (8%) were the second and third most common responses.

There were partisan differences, however, with Republican respondents more likely to say immigration (31%) and Democrats more likely to say abortion (14%).

Here’s what happened while the two were in office.

Economy, inflation, debt

Trump

• Inflation
  • 2017: 2.1%
  • 2018: 2.4%
  • 2019: 1.8%
  • 2020: 1.2%

Biden

• Inflation
  • 2021: 4.7%
  • 2022: 8.0%
  • 2023: 4.1%
  • S&P 500:  +29.7% from Biden’s inauguration through Jan. 29, 2024 (first three years in office)
  • Real GDP Growth:  +5.9% ( 2021 ), +1.9% ( 2022 ), +2.5% ( 2023 )
  • Jobs:  Employers have created an average of 409,000 positions per month during Biden’s first three years, which has been aided by a massive post-pandemic return to work.
  • Debt:  A preliminary analysis estimates Biden has added $4.8 trillion to the debt so far, according to the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget. That total doesn’t include the  Fiscal Responsibility Act  or the full impact of Biden’s various student debt relief plans.
  • Signed a $1 trillion  bipartisan infrastructure deal  aimed at repairing roads and bridges, expanding public transit systems and modernizing the electrical grid, among other changes.

Red Box Rules

Address the facts presented only (if you can focus)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    3 months ago

[Deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    3 months ago
Please let us discuss these facts and their bearing on the election omit any personal attacks

You may not think so, but I'm with ya.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    3 months ago

Vic

I enjoy your comments, points and counterpoints

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2  seeder  Robert in Ohio    3 months ago

From the seed author

Biden and Trump: Comparing presidential policy track records

Most Americans aren't excited about a Trump-Biden rematch in 2024

The two have taken different approaches to immigration, taxes and trade

Many voters say the economy is the biggest factor heading into November

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2    3 months ago
Most Americans aren't excited about a Trump-Biden rematch in 2024

Nothing exciting about it. Rehash of 2020, a couple of assclowns running against each other. America deserves better.

The two have taken different approaches to immigration, taxes and trade

And look where we ended up. Over run at the border. Higher taxes, more wasteful spending.

Many voters say the economy is the biggest factor heading into November

Hopefully they'll remember that when they get in the voting booth.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 months ago

They need to remember those points for sure, but there also positives to remember as well would you agree?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Robert in Ohio @2.1.1    3 months ago
They need to remember those points for sure, but there also positives to remember as well would you agree?

There are no positives for either man to ever get me to swallow my integrity and vote for one of them. 

There simply aren't enough positives to accomplish that.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2.1.3  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 months ago

I agree with you overall and will be voting for other than Biden or Trump come fall.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3  seeder  Robert in Ohio    3 months ago

I apologize in advance to the sensitive members

s-l1200.webp

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Robert in Ohio @3    3 months ago

I doubt it

George
Junior Expert
4  George    3 months ago
There were partisan differences, however, with Republican respondents more likely to say immigration (31%) and Democrats more likely to say abortion (14%).

That says a lot about the 2 mindsets, Republicans number one concern is about their country, and democrats number one concern is about the ability to kill off their offspring for convenience. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  George @4    3 months ago

Awful hard for me to respect any one-issue voter.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.1.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 months ago

T1211

There are multiple issues within those facts and figures which is what I am saying are the things that I and all other voters should consider in our voting choices rather than simply choosing red or blue.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4.1.1    3 months ago

Yes, multiple issues.

I have little respect for those who vote solely based on abortion or solely based on immigration or solely on any ONE issue, as it demonstrates such narrowmindedness, as if that one issue is everything.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.1.3  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.2    3 months ago

A single issue decision will not be a good one this year

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Robert in Ohio @4.1.3    3 months ago
A single issue decision will not be a good one this year

Sadly, for many, the single issue will boil down to this:

Who is worse?

Sad way to vote for someone to lead the country in my opinion.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  George @4    3 months ago

That is a ridiculously simplistic view of a very complex issue and a generalization that is hard to back up with facts and figures

I appreciate your input, but you point boils down to "those on the left are wrong and we on the right are correct" 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    3 months ago

Comparing the first three years of both Presidencies does omit the skewed economy from Trump's record but includes the skewed rebound in Biden's record.  A more accurate comparison would be the middle two years of both Presidential terms since the pandemic had an obvious outsized influence skewing the records of both Presidents.

You know, Trump oversaw the development, approval, and deployment of a vaccine using new technology in less that 12 months.  That really is a miraculous accomplishment overcoming the bureaucratic red tape.  Trump really did limit the worst effects of the pandemic to ten months.  After seeing Biden in action, are we to believe that Biden is capable of performing a similar miracle?  Trump's success in addressing the pandemic allowed for a rapid return to normal and Biden was the beneficiary during his first year in office.

So, I argue that the apt comparison would be the middle two years of both administrations.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @5    3 months ago

Both Trump and Biden benefited from then improving economic conditions when they took office. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 months ago
Both Trump and Biden benefited from then improving economic conditions when they took office. 

One of them oversaw the highest inflation in 40 years.

One of them saw the biggest non-pandemic-year deficit in history while touting the miraculous successes of Bidenomics.

One of them has allowed millions in without vetting many of them.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.2  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 months ago

Doesn't that mean each of their predecessors should get the credit for economic conditions during their first year in office?

Biden's record sucks if the rebound from the pandemic during his first year is removed from Biden's record.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5.1.3  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 months ago

John

Good point

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.4  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    3 months ago

Sounds "slightly" like "bothsidesism" is being mentioned......

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.4    3 months ago

jrSmiley_20_smiley_image.gif