╌>

The Greenwich Meridian's Forgotten Rival

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  outis  •  2 months ago  •  6 comments

By:   Timothy D. Byrne

The Greenwich Meridian's Forgotten Rival

If you've ever been to the Louvre, you may have stumbled across a small disc bearing the word "Arago" and the letters "N" and "S" - or in other words, the exact location of the old Paris Meridian.

But what's the story there?

How close did Paris ever get to becoming THE Meridian?

And why did we end up with Greenwich instead?

I decided to investigate...

_v=63f541706485645

Tim Byrne is "The Tim Traveler". His (more or less) weekly videos are gems of historical and geographical knick-knacks. Utterly without importance, and utterly charming.

I was aware that the International Date Line is a fairly recent thing, but Tim's storytelling makes it magic.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Outis
Freshman Principal
1  seeder  Outis    2 months ago

This video includes a cameo from Jay Foreman ( www.youtube.com/@JayForeman ), who also produces fun geography videos. Very UK, but still... 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Outis @1    2 months ago

No comment on a YouTube seed possible, but just to support your posting of an interesting non-political seed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    2 months ago

Oh, and if I recall correctly, France wanted French to be the international language used by pilots and air traffic controllers for international air flights, but lost out to English, which IS considered the "International Language", being used by more nations of the world than any other language.  

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    2 months ago

Sorry for the off topic but you just reminded me of I joke I heard while stationed in Europe with USAFE in the 80s.

Seems this lufhunsa flight was going into rhein-main and the pilot contacted the tower in German.

The tower responds to the pilot to please use English.

The irritated pilot responds," I am a German pilot flying a German registered commercial aircraft into a German airport, why should I use English?

Before the tower could respond , over the radio came a crisp , clearly British uppercrust voice stating, because you lost the bloody war old chap.

Radio silence followed.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3.1    2 months ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif   You just made me burst out laughing for the first time today - thanks. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1.1    2 months ago

Glad to be of service.