╌>

10 States Americans Are Leaving and 5 States They Are Moving To

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  robert-in-ohio  •  2 months ago  •  43 comments

By:   Steve Cummings

10 States Americans Are Leaving and 5 States They Are Moving To
"Buckle up as we hit the road to discover what’s pulling Americans in new directions!", Steve Cummings

The changing face and make up of the individual states, portends a potential changing of the social, political and economic faces of those states.

People are leaving certain states and heading to certain states for very specific reasons and those reasons are different for different states.

What does it mean and will it continue?  We shall see ....

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Do you know what’s becoming as American as apple pie? Internal migration! People are packing up and moving from sea to shining sea, but why? Let’s dive into this great American shuffle; check out the top 10 states folks are abandoning and the top five they’re flocking toward. What motivates the movers? Is it the quest for better jobs, sunnier skies, or just a change of scenery? Buckle up as we hit the road to discover what’s pulling Americans in new directions!

People are leaving these states in large numbers

1. California – The Golden State’s Great Goodbye
2. New York: Economic and Lifestyle Shifts
3. Illinois: Economic Challenges Leading To Demographic Changes
4. New Jersey: High Costs and Housing Market Dynamics
5. Michigan: Industrial Shifts and Migration Patterns
6. Massachusetts: The Cost of Prosperity
7. Connecticut: Navigating Economic Challenges
8. Ohio: Adapting to Industrial Changes
9. Maryland: Balancing Taxation and Living Costs
10. Pennsylvania: Demographic Shifts and Divides

As we turn the page from states losing residents, let’s explore the ones gaining popularity. Each offers unique attractions, from booming  job markets  to inviting climates.

People are moving to these states in large numbers 

Red Box Rules

Please discuss the points of the article

The article is not about Trump, it is not about Biden - it is about social, economic and political phenomena that are reshaping the people and where they live in the country.

Try to be civil, discuss the issue not other members - if cannot do these things, please do not comment on the article

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

There have been and continue to be significant shifts in population from some states and to other states.  These moves have fiscal and political consequences some immediate and some that we will see in the years to come.

Why is it happening?  When will it stop?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

Looks like some are moving for tax reasons, for cost of living reasons, for saner policies, some cases better weather.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
1.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Robert in Ohio @1    2 months ago

I doubt it will stop, people will always decide to move for their own reasoning and needs.

When I was younger, I was caught up in what my dad called the great New England exodus of the late 80s early 90s due to change of military base assignment. When I discharged I had no desire to move back and chose somewhere else to put down roots, 30 years later , I still think I made the correct choice for myself.

People had numerous reasons for leaving one area to go to another, and they still do.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
2  seeder  Robert in Ohio    2 months ago

Why Are They Moving?

According to data in the   2021 United Van Lines annual national movers study , the most common reason, by far, for moving during the years leading up to last was work-related. Although still at the top of the list, moving for work dropped nearly 19% from 2019 to 2021, while moving closer to family saw a significant increase in popularity and now ranks just .7% behind work-related moving. Moving to be closer to family had jumped nearly 13% since 2015 when it lagged behind work-related moving by over 41%.

Retirement and lifestyle moves saw only slight percentage increases last year, but both are up nearly 5% over 2015. Increases in retirement moving will likely continue to rise as the number of persons reaching age 65 increases yearly, according to a   May 2021 report from the Administration for Community Living . Cost of living moves increased by 3.7%, while health-related moving decreased somewhat.

States People Are Fleeing And States People Are Moving To – Forbes Home

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    2 months ago

most of your articles seem to be politically divisive, which seem antithetical to your claims of wanting national unity

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

nine out of the ten states on your list are "blue" states

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 months ago

(deleted)

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    2 months ago

You did it again Greg. You terrify them.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    2 months ago

Messed up!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 months ago

So? Is the seeded article wrong? Are there not a lot of people who are leaving those states and moving elsewhere? Didn't those states lose more population than they gained according to the last census? 

What might you think reasons are for these people moving to other states?

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.5  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 months ago

It would had been a much shorter article if the author had only told us that some Americans are moving across state lines.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 months ago

John

It is not "my list", I merely provided the facts that are being reported.  Check the source link

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Robert in Ohio @3.1.6    2 months ago

you are the one who chose to post a negative list where nine out of the ten names on the list are blue states

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.4    2 months ago

I dont care who moves where. It is minor. Conservatives have been telling us for years that Illinois is losing population. who cares?  It is still the 7th largest state in population.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.9  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.8    2 months ago

But you're the one who commented that 9 of the top 10 states people are moving from are blue states. Rather than bitch about the contents of the seed article, why don't you maybe comment on why people are leaving those states? What is going on that people are moving away from? And what does that mean for future political power? After all, based on the last census California lost a seat in the House and one electoral college vote due to the loss of citizens. 

What do you think New York will be like in 10 or 20 years if the trend continues?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.10  JohnRussell  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.9    2 months ago
why don't you maybe comment on why people are leaving those states?

because i dont care. these are small amounts of people that are leaving

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.11  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 months ago

What’s going wrong in Chicago, John?  Why is there still a lot of racism in your town?

Census 2020: “Black people aren’t leaving Chicago…they’re being forced out”

“Marginalized communities face obstacles  to quality housing, education, employment, and health, pressuring them to search elsewhere for basic needs. That type of neglect is what First District Cook County Commissioner Brandon Johnson says drives residents reluctantly out of Chicago. “Black people aren’t leaving Chicago. Failed policies are forcing them out,” he argues.”

George
Junior Expert
3.1.12  George  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.11    2 months ago
Why is there still a lot of racism in your town?

Chicago is still completely democrat controlled.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.13  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.11    2 months ago

You seem to have an obsession about this racism in the north. I've never said there is no racism in Chicago, to the contrary, I know a lot of racists in Chicago.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.14  Snuffy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.10    2 months ago
these are small amounts of people that are leaving

In 2023, New York saw a population decline of 102,000 while California's population declined by 75,423. That's overall loss, not just people who moved out.

Here’s how many people moved out of California in 2023 (foxla.com)

If the trends continue, how much political capital will those two states lose over the next ten or twenty years? New York and California account for 78 seats in the House, Texas and Florida have 66 seats. New York and California are, as you say, blue states while Texas and Florida are red states. What happens if those four states swap positions and red states outnumber blue states for seats in Congress? What happens then?

You can say you don't care but I think everybody should care. 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.15  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.13    2 months ago
I know a lot of racists in Chicago.

Isn’t the problem more about structural racism than individual racists?  How can such a blue city have so much structural racism in 2024?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.8    2 months ago

Conservatives have been telling us for years that Illinois is losing population. who cares?  It is still the 7th largest state in population.

Maybe because the population loss costs representation, federal funding and means fewer people have to cover the debts incurred by those who leave, Not to mention paying pensions to those who spend it in other states.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.17  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.1.16    2 months ago

the conservatives who rag on this subject dont care about illinois, it is a "political" talking point for them. 

outside a political context, no one gives a shit about who moves where. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.17    2 months ago

True

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.19  JohnRussell  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.1.15    2 months ago

there is structural racism throughout the country

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.1.20  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.19    2 months ago

So it’s not the structural racism that’s causing a significant number of Black people to leave your fine city?  Did you read the Chicago Reporter article 3.1.11 ?

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.21  JBB  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.17    2 months ago

Also, many who moved due to Covid are now moving back. The migration of the US population in the last few years was unusual and caused by multiple factors.

Waco didn't become preferable to NYC...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.7    2 months ago

And you are the one complaining about facts.

If you can dispute the facts do so.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @3.1.14    2 months ago

I wonder what some really think it means when a state loses reps in Congress.

Does the convoluted math means those states had an increase in population?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @3.1.21    2 months ago
Also, many who moved due to Covid are now moving back.

if what you claim is true, supply a link showing those state populations increased during Covid because people were moving to those states--if you can. I don't think you can find any data to support your claim.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    2 months ago
nine out of the ten states on your list are "blue" states

Would you have preferred he posted non-facts?

Do you think he manipulated the list created by others somehow?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.1.26  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.7    2 months ago
you are the one who chose to post a negative list where nine out of the ten names on the list are blue states

It is not a negative list, it is a list that presents facts about population movement in the U.S.

It is only negative if YOU interpret it that way

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

Very divisive if you're a radical leftist.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

TRUE

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
3.4  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

What did you find “politically divisive” in it?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.4.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Drinker of the Wry @3.4    2 months ago

It's only politically divisive if one chooses to make it so.

I'm more interested in the reasons the people moving are doing so acknowledging some of the reasons could be politically motivated.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago
most of your articles seem to be politically divisive, which seem antithetical to your claims of wanting national unity

Why are FACTS so politically divisive to you?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
3.6  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JohnRussell @3    2 months ago

Presenting facts is not politically divisive, you and others turn all topics in political brawls (right vs left) not me

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    2 months ago

Let us be know when you change your name to Robert in North Dakota.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    2 months ago

jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Actually I retired to Ohio from Wisconsin a number of years ago, and this is where I remain for the rest of my days.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.2  JBB  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    2 months ago

The difference between Hooterville and Pixley...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  JBB @4.2    2 months ago

lol

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
4.2.2  seeder  Robert in Ohio  replied to  JBB @4.2    2 months ago

the difference between Hooterville and Pixley...

Tessy is right that is hilarious and yet insightful at the same time