╌>

Why a record number of wealthy Americans are looking overseas for another residence or citizenship

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 weeks ago  •  24 comments

By:   Alicia Adamczyk

Why a record number of wealthy Americans are looking overseas for another residence or citizenship
Increasingly more high-net worth and ultra-high-net worth Americans are "hedging their bets" against political turmoil and social unrest by pursuing backup visas and citizenships abroad.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Increasingly more   high-net worth and ultra-high-net worth Americans   are "hedging their bets" against political turmoil and social unrest by pursuing backup visas and citizenships abroad.

There are now more Americans applying for residence and citizenship-by-investment programs than citizens of any other country. Over the past five years, inquiries from the U.S. about these programs have increased by 500%.

These programs involve making an investment of, typically, a few hundred thousand dollars and spending a few years in a country in exchange for a visa or citizenship.

Since the COVID-19 pandemic, what used to be the purview of Russia's elite and those seeking to escape oppressive regimes is now increasingly popular among U.S. citizens, who are seeking so-called golden visas and passports.

American clients are increasingly worried about the political climate in the U.S.

They plan to move because they're worried about their kids facing the singularly American problem of mass shootings, or—in the case of his Silicon Valley clients, in particular—they'd like a place to ride out  the apocalypse .

And some plan to expatriate to a nation with a friendlier tax code. Lesperance points to the possibility of a  "billionaire tax" —promoted by Democrats—as a particular catalyst.

"With political divisions and societal tensions at an all-time high, American investors, entrepreneurs, and wealthy families are increasingly hedging their bets and pursuing backup citizenship or residence abroad, signaling declining faith in the domestic outlook,"

That's no doubt because the U.S., for all its faults, is still "the undisputed leader in private wealth creation and accumulation," the report notes: America holds 32% of global liquid investable wealth and home to 37% of the world's millionaires.

What's more, some 5.5 million Americans hold at least $1 million in liquid investable assets, a number that's climbed by 62% over the past 10 years.

The U.S. also remains home to the most centi-millionaires and billionaires at least partly because, despite whatever turmoil exists in the U.S., it still remains a relative "safe haven" globally,

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

Increasingly more      high-net worth and ultra-high-net worth Americans      are "hedging their bets" against political turmoil and social unrest by pursuing backup visas and citizenships abroad.

American clients are increasingly worried about the political climate in the U.S.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    4 weeks ago

IMO the divisiveness and its consequences are getting worse all the time.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

They plan to move because they're worried about their kids facing the singularly American problem of mass shootings, or—in the case of his Silicon Valley clients, in particular—they'd like a place to ride out    the apocalypse   .

And some plan to expatriate to a nation with a friendlier tax code. Lesperance points to the possibility of a    "billionaire tax"   —promoted by Democrats—as a particular catalyst.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    4 weeks ago

You can be relatively POOR and live in a lot more comfort in China than I could possibly live even in Canada, and you would have absolutely ZERO concern about you or your loved ones being shot. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1.1  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    4 weeks ago

Morning...asked my cousin's son fiancee who is Chinese why she left China five years ago to come here..

Quote... it's to crowded, to polluted, to much of a dictating and interfering government and who wants to live their life in a high rise building..she is from Beijing..

Here she has bought her own block of land and unit, owns a very nice car and has an excellent paying job.. but the best part she said was owning a large Alsatian dog..she always wanted one but couldn't living in a tiny apartment 20 floors up...

I asked her if she would ever go back to China...no never and she has now become an Aussie citizen...she is now currently holidaying in Japan for three weeks with her fiancee..

She is also in the process of bringing her mum out to live for a better quality of life...stuck in an apartment 20 floors up heading into her 70s and no family support result of the one child policy is now making life for her very difficult with her health and mobility problems..

So what you may gain in one area you may lose in another...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

I can understand her concern about pollution - Beijing is famous for that,, but it's pretty clean where I am, and I really don't mind living on the 15th floor, no need for screens and I'm in a nice part of a big city, surrounded by beautifully landscaped university campuses, and everything I need or want is close so I don't need a car.  The government is no problem for me or anyone I know, and I've always been treated with respect by police and government officials.  

So - different strokes for different folks, or as the French say, Chacun a son gout.

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.1.3  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.2    4 weeks ago

Evening...rather interesting what just rolled up in Northern Western Australia yesterday..

A boat load of Chinese seeking asylum...rather odd not heard any coming from China before..bad luck for them though..they already been deported straight away to Nauru detention centre never to settle here..could be held there for years..

Will be interesting to see how the Chinese government responds..or even acknowledges that these  citizens are seeking asylum...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @2.1.3    3 weeks ago

Although in my more than 17 years here I've not been witness to it, I guess there are going to be unhappy people pretty well anywhere, even if where they are is utopia.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    4 weeks ago

That's no doubt because the U.S., for all its faults, is still "the undisputed leader in private wealth creation and accumulation," the report notes: America holds 32% of global liquid investable wealth and home to 37% of the world's millionaires.

What's more, some 5.5 million Americans hold at least $1 million in liquid investable assets, a number that's climbed by 62% over the past 10 years.

The U.S. also remains home to the most centi-millionaires and billionaires at least partly because, despite whatever turmoil exists in the U.S., it still remains a relative "safe haven" globally,

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3    4 weeks ago

Wonderful, if you happen to be at least a multi-millionaire.

fineline
Freshman Silent
4  fineline    4 weeks ago

GOOD! Move away and stay away! The trash in this country is at the upper-end of the scale. False Churches, Bigotry and Greed ! Take your money and run, unpatriotic bags of shit ! 

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  fineline @4    4 weeks ago
The trash in this country is at the upper-end of the scale.

What metrics are you using?  Show us your math.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.1  shona1  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1    4 weeks ago

Morning...they can always move Down Under...

Our snappies, bities and stingies love fresh meat..

Drinker of the Wry
Junior Expert
4.1.2  Drinker of the Wry  replied to  shona1 @4.1.1    4 weeks ago

We’ve got to take care of the great circle of life.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @4.1.1    4 weeks ago

Well I'm a half way (or a half assed Aussie) We plan on spending around 4 to 6 months there in 2025 most likely Jan thru April and Samoa for May and June. Our friend offered his house to us since he'll be in the US for those months. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.4  shona1  replied to  Kavika @4.1.3    4 weeks ago

Morning.. excellent and will be a good time of year to come..sun, sand and surf..

That will be "half arsed" we will have to re educate you in spelling..🐨

Where abouts will you be staying?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  shona1 @4.1.1    4 weeks ago

As you have just indicated, you know that people call Australia "Down Under".  I was just wondering if Australians call others "Up Over"?

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.6  shona1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.5    4 weeks ago

Arvo..nahh..we just say the drop kicks up in the Northern Hemisphere..that covers it..😁😁

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @4.1.4    4 weeks ago
That will be "half arsed" we will have to re educate you in spelling..

That was my half assed American half. LOL

We are going to spend a week in Sydney, visiting old friends then off to Orange for who knows how long then down to Broken Hill, I have a grandson living there and he is refurbishing a home built in the 1880s. From there to Adalide and perhaps we can get most of the family together for a week or so on Kangaroo Island. After that over to Perth to see more family and then from there up to Samoa or back to Sydney.

shona1
PhD Quiet
4.1.8  shona1  replied to  Kavika @4.1.7    4 weeks ago

Evening..sounds great..and you will have a ripper time..🦘🦘

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Drinker of the Wry @4.1.2    3 weeks ago
We’ve got to take care of the great circle of life.

As long as it remains unbroken:

Johnny Cash & Family - Will the Circle Be Unbroken

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.9    3 weeks ago
Johnny Cash & Family - Will the Circle Be Unbroken

What is this-- some sort of a joke??? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  fineline @4    3 weeks ago
GOOD! Move away and stay away! The trash in this country is at the upper-end of the scale. False Churches, Bigotry and Greed ! Take your money and run, unpatriotic bags of shit ! 

How will this effect our taxes? (The amount we pay?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.2    3 weeks ago
Take your money and run, unpatriotic bags of shit ! 
How will this effect our taxes? (The amount we pay?)

When taxes on the very rich are high-- they often just up and leave (move to another state). If they're very rich, and enough of them leave-- taxes on the middle class and lower have to go up.