╌>

Melting ice is slowing Earth's spin and shifting its axis, research shows

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  2 months ago  •  64 comments

By:   Evan Bush

Melting ice is slowing Earth's spin and shifting its axis, research shows
Melting ice is slowing Earth's spin and causing changes to its axis, new studies find. The shifts are causing feedback beneath the surface, impacting the planet's molten core.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Climate change is altering the Earth to its literal core, new research suggests.

As polar and glacial ice melts because of global warming, water that was once concentrated at the top and the bottom of the globe is getting redistributed toward the equator. The extra mass around Earth's middle slows its rotation, which in turn has a lengthening effect on our days.

A new study offers more evidence of that dynamic and further suggests that changes to the planet's ice have been profound enough to affect the Earth's axis — the invisible line at its center around which it rotates. Together, those shifts are causing feedback beneath the surface, affecting the fluids that move around in Earth's molten core.

The findings were published in two journals, Nature Geoscience and Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, over the last week.

The studies, along with similar research published in March, suggest that humans have tinkered with foundational elements of the planet's physical properties — a process that will continue until some time after global temperatures stabilize and the melting of ice sheets reaches an equilibrium.

"You can add Earth's rotation to this list of things humans have completely affected," said an author of the two new studies, Benedikt Soja, an assistant professor of space geodesy at ETH Zurich in Switzerland.

The alteration to Earth's spin is significant enough that it could one day rival the influence of tidal forces caused by the moon, Soja said — if carbon emissions continue at extreme levels.

In general, the speed of Earth's spin depends on the shape of the planet and where its mass is distributed — factors governed by several counteracting forces.

Scientists often offer a comparison to a figure skater twirling on ice: When skaters spin with their arms outstretched, their rotation will be slower. But if skaters' arms are kept in tight, they spin faster.

Somewhat similarly, the friction of ocean tides from the moon's gravitational pull slows the Earth's rotation. Historically, that has had the largest influence on the planet's rate of spin, Soja said.

Meanwhile, the slow rebound of the Earth's crust in some high-latitude regions after the removal of Ice Age glaciers works in the opposite direction, speeding up the planet's spin.

Both of those processes have long been predictable influences on the Earth's angular velocity.

But now, rapid ice melt due to global warming is becoming a powerful new force. If humans continue to pollute the planet with carbon emissions, Soja said, the influence of ice loss could overtake the moon's effect.

"In the worst scenarios, then yeah, climate change would become the most dominant factor," he said.

An iceberg in Antarctica on Feb. 8.ebnem Cokun / Anadolu via Getty Images file

An important fourth factor influencing Earth's spin is the motion of fluid within its core. Scientists have long understood that that can accelerate or slow the planet's rotation — a trend that can shift over 10- to 20-year intervals. Right now, the core is temporarily causing the Earth's spin to speed up slightly, counteracting the slowing due to climate change.

Climate change appears to be affecting Earth's core, as well, as a result of melting ice and shifts in the planet's rotational axis.

The researchers behind the new study built a 120-year model of polar motion, or how the axis shifts over time. They found that changes in the distribution of mass on the planet due to melting ice likely contributed to small fluctuations in polar motion.

Soja estimated that climate change was most likely responsible for 1 meter of change over 10 years.

The research further suggests that the movement of molten rock inside the Earth adjusts to the changes in its axis and rate of spin — a feedback process in which Earth's surface influences its interior.

"The rotation changes slightly, and that, we believe, can indirectly have an effect on the core," Soja said. "This is something which is not very easy or not possible to measure directly because we cannot go down there."

The findings have implications for how humans keep time and for how we position satellites in space.

"If you want to fly a new mission to Mars, for example, we really need to know how the state of the Earth is exactly in space, and if that changes we might actually make a navigation error or a mistake," Soja said.

A 1-meter change to Earth's axis, for example, could mean a spacecraft misses its target by 100 or 1,000 meters when it reaches Mars.

As for timekeeping, research published in March suggested that climate change has delayed the need to add a "negative leap second" to Coordinated Universal Time to keep the world's clocks in line with Earth's rotation.

Duncan Agnew, a geophysicist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego, who led that earlier study, said the new research "meshes very well" with his work.

"It extends the result further into the future and looks at more than one climate scenario," Agnew said, adding that although Soja and his co-authors took a different approach, they reached a result similar to his.

"Multiple discoveries are almost the rule in science — this is yet another case," Agnew said.

Thomas Herring, a professor of geophysics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who was not involved in either study, said the new research may indeed offer insight into how changes on Earth's surface can influence what's going on inside.

"For the feedback between surface processes and the core, I find that plausible," Herring said in an email, explaining that "large scale" processes at the surface can "penetrate to the fluid core."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1  Trout Giggles    2 months ago

Here's a toast to a global disaster in the next 12 months!

bccrane
Freshman Silent
2  bccrane    2 months ago

But now, rapid ice melt due to global warming is becoming a powerful new force. If humans continue to pollute the planet with carbon emissions, Soja said, the influence of ice loss could overtake the moon's effect.

I would really like to hear them explain the difference of the effect of ice loss prior to the last 7 ice ages and to why this time around it'll be different?

Duncan Agnew, a geophysicist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego, who led that earlier study, said the new research "meshes very well" with his work.

"It extends the result further into the future and looks at more than one climate scenario," Agnew said, adding that although Soja and his co-authors took a different approach, they reached a result similar to his.

Well duh, it meshes very well because they are just confirming what happens with the long term water cycle of the earth, which happens even without us.

"Multiple discoveries are almost the rule in science — this is yet another case," Agnew said.

This just confirms what I have been saying, we are due for another ice age, the sea level rise prior to each ice age which happens because of what?  Oh, yeah on land ice melt and because of less ice and more warm water a global temperature rise, it really is not that difficult to understand.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bccrane @2    2 months ago
I would really like to hear them explain the difference of the effect of ice loss prior to the last 7 ice ages and to why this time around it'll be different?

Because we are currently in an ice age, and this shouldn't be happening.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
2.1.1  bccrane  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    2 months ago

Before every ice age the sea levels were higher than today, if it were not from on land melting ice, where else could the rise come from?

Because we are currently in an ice age, and this shouldn't be happening.

I certainly hope you aren't using the Milankovitch Cycles as your reasoning that we should be in an ice age right now, you do realize that he based his entire theory on the term "Ice Age" and assumed that meant the climate had to be colder for there to be an ice age, when everything we have learned about the past ice ages shows it to be opposite of that, with the rise of the sea levels, the rise of CO2 levels because of the warming, and the warming itself.  The reason the earth goes through ice ages is that the seas have too much warmer water in them and with the higher sea levels it's easier to transport that heat to the colder latitudes.  Milankovitch dictates that whatever cools the northern hemisphere at the same time will heat the southern hemisphere, but if you look it up both hemispheres experiences an ice age at the same time which would be impossible with Milankovitch.  The only thing that is the same in both hemispheres are the sea levels, hence the ice age in both hemispheres at the same time.

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    2 months ago

I keep saying, overpopulation is a problem.  No politician wants to address that  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @3    2 months ago

No they don't and now the Project 2025 wants to ban birth control

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.1  CB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    2 months ago

Good "catch'/point! ;)

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1.2  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    2 months ago

They are unrealistic

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.3  devangelical  replied to  charger 383 @3.1.2    2 months ago

but their god told them to go hump like rabbits...

no birth control, no abortions, and turning rape and incest into a population positive activity with forced birth...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  charger 383 @3    2 months ago

You are correct. At the beginning of the last century, the earth population was 1 billion. We are now at 8 and that has an effect on everything.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4  Drakkonis    2 months ago
The extra mass around Earth's middle slows its rotation, which in turn has a lengthening effect on our days.

I don't know how to feel about this. Technically, that means my weekends will be longer, but it will take longer to get to the weekend. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
4.1  Gazoo  replied to  Drakkonis @4    2 months ago

As long as a work day stays at 8 hours i’m fine with it.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Drakkonis  replied to  Gazoo @4.1    2 months ago
As long as a work day stays at 8 hours i’m fine with it.

Still... the first five days after the weekend are the hardest. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Gazoo @4.1    2 months ago

thank a union.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
4.1.3  Gazoo  replied to  devangelical @4.1.2    2 months ago

I’m in a union. Are/were you? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Gazoo @4.1.3    2 months ago

that's hilarious...

ibew didn't recognize low voltage as electrical 4 decades ago

Gazoo
Junior Silent
4.1.5  Gazoo  replied to  devangelical @4.1.4    2 months ago

What’s hilarious?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
4.1.6  Gazoo  replied to  Gazoo @4.1.5    2 months ago

Yeah, i didn’t see anything hilarious either jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    2 months ago

I noticed the author is just a science reporter with NBC News, not a scientist himself. The Earth has been through all kinds of cycles and seas have risen and fallen innumerable times, particularly during the Ice Ages. There have been many Ice Ages in Earth's history, and we are not that far removed from the last one. One of these episodes was known as Snowball Earth. Any such rotation change effects would negligible to life on Earth.

Timeline of glaciation - Wikipedia

Snowball Earth - Wikipedia

Hallux
Professor Principal
5.1  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @5    2 months ago
I noticed the author is just a science reporter with NBC News, not a scientist himself.

The author has linked to or named several scientists and scholarly articles used in this seed, sounds like Mr Bush is doing his job correctly.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @5    2 months ago

While that is true, 1. we are in an ice age presently and 2. The world population has grown 8X in the last 124 years. Everything we do creates a stress on the earth.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6  Just Jim NC TttH    2 months ago

One has to wonder just how much all of the asphalt and concrete and dark roof shingles plays a part in the temperature increase. Perhaps THAT is the only way man is contributing or at least one of the ways.........just sayin'

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6    2 months ago

How could that possibly play a part in temperatures increasing?

What nonsense.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    2 months ago

Go stand in the middle of a black asphalt parking lot barefoot at 95 degrees and while your feet blister, feel the heat rising from said asphalt. And after you do that, lay your bare arms on top of your black car.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.1    2 months ago

Nonsense

The black asphalt draws the heat - it doesn't raise temperatures

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.2    2 months ago

Ever heard of radiant heat? That being the heat rising due to the asphalt "drawing" the heat?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.2    2 months ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.4    2 months ago

Yeah, as usual, you are my go to climate experts

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.3    2 months ago

Radiant heat has nothing to do with roofs and asphalt.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.6    2 months ago

or add to climate change

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.6    2 months ago

Bullshit. Read a book FFS. Ever drive down road with little traffic and look in the distance. That wavy appearance is heat radiating off of the road.

jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

On hot days, air just above the road can become hotter and thus less dense than air higher up . The optical properties of this “inversion layer” can then lead to light rays from the sky that would otherwise hit the road curving upwards – creating the illusion they have bounced off a reflecting pool of water on the road.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6.1.9  Snuffy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.8    2 months ago

Or even easier. Stand in the middle of a field with grass and the like, and then stand in the middle of a parking lot. Which one will feel hotter? 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.10  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.6    2 months ago

You acknowledge 6.1.4 then make that idiotic comment and 6.1.7?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @6.1.10    2 months ago

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
6.1.12  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.11    2 months ago

And not even realize their own hypocrisy in it all.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Snuffy @6.1.9    2 months ago

I know that flight liine workers require extra breaks because the tarmac can get at least 20 degrees hotter than on a sidewalk

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6.1.8    2 months ago

'just above the road' 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Snuffy @6.1.9    2 months ago

I'm not a goddamned idiot.

I know the difference between how hot asphalt will be in the heat and a sidewalk or the grass.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.15    2 months ago

and the like

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6.1.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.14    2 months ago

Do you honestly think it just stays there?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif      jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.20  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.13    2 months ago

When I was stationed at the Naval Branch Medical Clinic at MCAS Yuma, AZ in the mid and late 70's average summer temperatures were around 115 to 120 degrees F. Out on the concrete aprons and asphalt runways, the ambient temperature was around 140 F with outdoor work being kept to a minimum with multiple heat emergencies all summer long. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.1.20    2 months ago

When I was stationed at Reese AFB, TX we did a WBGT every day in the summer. Fortunately, we didn't have much humidity but it still got hot. We would call it in to the Fire Department and HQ who would put it out over the Giant Voice

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7  Tessylo    2 months ago

I made a fool of myself.  Not for the first time I imagine, but I will admit - I shouldn't have dug in my heels when I was wrong.  I looked into this and it is a contributor.  Making/painting/coating roads/pavements, etc., etc. a lighter color has been brought up in the past and I don't know why this practice is not being put into place.  I haven't looked into it much further at this point in time but will do so.  I imagine there are places where this is in practice and should be developed on a much, much wider scale.  

I should have looked into it further before making a fool of myself.

This is to my friends here at NT.

Mea culpa

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @7    2 months ago

I personally think they ought to put solar panels in parking lots. It would make our cars a lot cooler in the afternoon and they could generate lectricity

George
Junior Expert
7.1.1  George  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1    2 months ago

I was out in California not too long ago, Walmart had covered parking, and the roof was all solar tiles,  Your car wasn't in the sun, and it generated electricity to run the store.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  George @7.1.1    2 months ago

I remember a couple years back when California covered some canals with solar panels due to the droughts. It kept the precious water from evaporating while producing electricity

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1    2 months ago

We should go into the green energy business and develop such things

George
Junior Expert
7.1.4  George  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1.2    2 months ago

They probably used the energy to run the pumps and sold the rest back to the grid, making it profitable X 2

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1.2    2 months ago

That's an excellent idea

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.3    2 months ago

I had an idea for a mosquito trap based on my limited knowledge of biology but somebody beat me to it

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.6    2 months ago

50+ years ago, while out cruising shit faced and loaded one weekend, we found some house out in the sticks that had an early primitive version of a bug zapper. after watching it the first time, it became a regular stop during the summer months. we'd park on the road at his driveway and watch that thing reach out and fry the moths sci-fi like from more than a foot away it seemed. with every zap and snap we'd roar with laughter. when the interior house lights would come on we'd make a hasty retreat.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.6    2 months ago

Damn it!  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @7.1.7    2 months ago

Sounds like you and your buddies know how to make a good time

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.9    2 months ago

make/have a good time

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.11  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.10    2 months ago

we did. only 2 of us left now...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8  Ed-NavDoc    2 months ago

Back in the late 80's when I was at McMurdo Station, Antarctica there was a glaciologist that I used to drink with in the Petty Officer's Club. He held pretty much the same ideas stated in the seeded article, but at the time he had been ostracized by the scientific community and his colleagues for his views so he had to back down or lose tenure at his university along with the grants he received from the National Science Foundation that funded his research. I am pretty sure he is laughing his head off now.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
8.1  bccrane  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8    2 months ago

All of this ice melt stands to reason that it would alter things concerning rotation and tilt of the earth.  Every ice age changes the position as to where the mass of water is residing and since we are approaching the next ice age we should expect the same.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bccrane @8.1    2 months ago

Yep, there will probably be another huge inland sea in the middle of North America.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8.1.1    2 months ago

I don;t think we'll get to enjoy it tho because we'll all be dead

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.2    2 months ago

Yep, long dead because it would probably be many thousands if not more years before it happened unless we get a scenario like the movie 2012.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
8.1.4  bccrane  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8.1.3    2 months ago

It may not be as far away as one might think, yeah we will be long gone, but the earth is entering the cascading phase of the ice melt before the next ice age begins.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bccrane @8.1.4    2 months ago

It's the end of the world as we know it

It's the end of the world as we know it

And I feel fine

REM

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  bccrane @8.1    2 months ago

Another thing that confuses people is the existence of the geographic North and South Poles as compared to the magnetic poles. The magnetic South Pole is 2,858 km away from the Geographic South Pole which is located at the Ammundsen-Scott South Pole Station marked by a red and white barber Pole style marker. The magnetic North Pole is located in the middle of the Arctic Ocean. Distances are on account of magnetic drift of  the Earth's magnetic field or so I've been told.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9  Nerm_L    2 months ago

Well, it was fun while it lasted.  But wasn't the Earth ice-free when dinosaurs roamed the planet?  Seems like the paleo-climate models should provide some insights.  Maybe all we need is a little more artificial intelligence to figure this out.

The influence of humans on climate has been to either speed or slow natural processes.  Taking that into account we should be able to conclude that climate change will correct itself.  So, the real issue is whether or not humans, as a species, wish to survive the natural correction to the climate.  It's our choice.