╌>

12 Reasons why you should own a gun (and 10 why you shouldn't)

Category:  News & Politics

By:  96ws6  •  11 years ago  •  35 comments

12 Reasons why you should own a gun  (and 10 why you shouldn't)

12 Reasons Why You Should Own a Gun

1. Because You Own a Fire Extinguisher. Bad things happen. You can still call 911, but when seconds count, you need to act quickly to save your life and the life of those you love.
  2. Because Shooting Is An Olympic Sport. Shooting is an Olympic sport and the United States holds more gold medals than any other nation.
  3. Because Many Americans Own Guns. Youll be in good company as a gun owner; nearly fifty percent of households in the U.S. own a firearm.
  4. Because You Respect The U.S. Constitution. Sometimes you wont like it when people exercise fundamental freedoms protected by the Constitution, such as freedom of speech. But that simply doesnt matter: The Supreme Court ruled that every person has a constitutional right to own guns. So respecting the Constitution means respecting the right of others to exercise those constitutional rights.
  5. Because You Are More Likely to Die By Falling. There were 613 fatal firearms accidents in 2007, one-half of one percent of all fatal accidents. Youre more likely to die by driving, poisoning, drowning or falling than by a gun accident.
  6. Because Guns Stop Burglars. Last year, the CDC estimated that Americans used guns about 498,000 times to frighten away intruders attempting to break into homes.
  7. Because Gun Bans Increase Murder Rates. After D.C. banned handguns in 1984, the average murder rate jumped 73 percent while the U.S. murder rate fell 11 percent.
  8. Because Guns Dont Cause Murder. A New York Times study of 1,662 murders in the city found that 90 percent of the killers had criminal records. Murderers are not ordinary, law abiding adults. Instead, virtually all murderers are extremely aberrant individuals with life histories of violence, psychopathology, and substance abuse.
  9. Because Gun Owners Win Political Battles. Gun rights groups have donated $22 million in political campaigns over the last decade, while gun control groups gave $1.8 million.
  10. Because Ignorance is Dangerous. At current homicide rates, Aprx 5 in 100,000 Americans will be murdered this year. You need to know how to operate a tool that will immediately stop a threat and save your life and the life of those in your household.
  11. Because Guns Dont Make Countries More Dangerous. Switzerland has one of the worlds highest gun ownership rates and also one of the lowest homicide rates. In contrast, the countries with the worlds worst homicide ratesSouth Africa, Columbia, Brazil, Mexico, Philippines, Taiwanalso prohibit law-abiding citizens from owning guns. Compare the 20 per 100,000 homicide rate in Russia, which bans guns, with the 2 per 100,000 rate in neighboring Poland. Compare gun-free Luxembourgs 9 per 100,000 murder rate with Germany and France with rates of 0.93 and 1.65.
  12. Because Gun Control Laws Dont Increase Safety. The U.S. National Academy of Sciences failed to identify even one gun control measure that had a statistically significant reduction in violent crime, suicide, or gun accidents. The Center for Disease Control reached the same conclusion in 2003.

The bottom line is there are many good reasons to own a gun to be fair there are also 10 good reasons NOT to.

1. When there is domestic violence in the family or the possibility of domestic violence such as during a contentious divorce. This is a bad situation that needs to be fixed immediately, generally by putting a lot of distance between the parties. If the violent people are all in the same house and there is a firearm, there is an increased possibility that one will use it on the other.
  2. When there is a suicidal person in the home. Firearms are often used to commit suicide. Ideally the depressed/suicidal person receives treatment and all is well, but until treatment is successfully completed, having a firearm on the premises generally exacerbates the problem. Some people say yes, but if there is no gun they will just hang themselves or use pills. Possibly, hopefully not, but on a macabre note, if there is no stopping the suicide, walking in on someone who has hanged themselves is a whole lot better than finding someone who has blown their head off.
  3. When alcohol use is out of control. Excessive alcohol use and anything else (driving, using a firearm, carrying around a knife, etc) usually winds up with stupid if not deadly results. An alcoholic with a gun is bad all the way around.
  4. When there are troubled teens in the home. Gang banger kids, show off kids, kids who are bullied or out of control make for a very volatile situation. Also, kids are pretty clever so if they really want to get to your firearms they probably will and the results can be deadly (or at least lead to incarceration).
  5. If there is a convicted felon in the home. The law is pretty clear that unless an ex con has had their rights restored, being in possession of a firearm--which usually happens when there is an ex con and a firearm in the same vicinity--can send them back to the big house. Why take the risk?
  6. When the gun was purchased years ago "for protection", has never been used or practiced with, and has been stashed in the back of the closet under the sweaters to use in the event of an emergency. This is a sign of an irresponsible gun owner who probably shouldn't even own a gun.
  7. If you are a pacifist or are diametrically opposed to gun ownership. Just because a person can own a gun doesn't mean they should.
  8. If it is illegal in your jurisdiction. Deciding whether or not to break the law is a personal decision; in this situation some people feel their right to own a gun as outlined in the constitution overrides the whim of the city council. For others they will follow the law and thus avoid a nasty legal situation.
  9. It's against your religion. Some religions are like that and people need to do what they feel is right.
  10. If you think you will only use it to scare away a burglar but would never actually use it. Hopefully the sound of chambering your 12 gauge will send a smart burglar right out of your home but this may be wishful thinking. The only time you should point a firearm at a person is if you fully intend to use it on them.

Obviously owning a gun is a big responsibility. Part of this responsibility is knowing when not to have one. If any of the above situations apply to you, consider temporarily storing your firearm at a friend's home or at your local gun club. In the place of a firearm, in order to protect yourself and your family, consider other non-lethal options such as pepper spray or a taser.

I think if you fall into any of the 10 reasons NOT to own a gun then, you should not, in fact, own one. If you don't you SHOULD own one. the bottom line is...that as with ANY activity that could cause death like operating a gun or a car....common sense is key and if you don't know how to use it (a gun or car for that matter) you should have someone capable teach you....in other words get educated!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

96WS6
Junior Quiet
1  author  96WS6    6 years ago

Something I posted roughly 5 years ago.  It is possible some of the statistics have changed.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1  cjcold  replied to  96WS6 @1    5 years ago

I live alone way out on the prairie where my nearest neighbor is over a mile away and I can shoot out to 1000 yards from my back porch.

I own a gun for every occasion from .22 plinkers to shotguns to handguns to ARs and AKs to large caliber 1000 yard sniper rifles to flare guns and grenade launchers.

And no; I am not some nut job survivalist (even though I do keep a months worth of MREs and bottled water in the basement next to the chemical toilet, com. units and air filtration system).

It's not actually my fault. I blame it all on the Boy Scouts and that "BE PREPARED" motto.   

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2  Dulay  replied to  96WS6 @1    5 years ago
It is possible some of the statistics have changed.

Boy Howdy, some weren't ever accurate 5 years ago. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

The reason I don't own a gun, because I have toddlers. You can be the most responsible owner in the neighborhood, but all it takes is 5 seconds when you aren't looking, and one of those little ninjas will blow their or someone else's head off. I owned a firearm before I had kids, got rid of it as soon as my first was born, and won't own another until I put my foot in their asses and they are out the door. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2  cjcold  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    5 years ago

I keep most of my armory in gun safes. There are child-proof trigger locks for securing one out of a safe.

I am no longer a fan or member of the NRA, but back in the day, when I was, they focused on safety and training.  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @2.2    5 years ago

I carry a C2 Taser and a knife rather than a gun for EDC.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4  FLYNAVY1    5 years ago

If for some reason, you decide to purchase a handgun, (and really do your best to resist that temptation), for god sakes become proficient in firing it! 

Go to the local range at least once every two months, and really work at your stance, your grip and every part of your technique until you can at least hit the broad side of the barn.  Get some lessons from an instructor.

BTW...my proffered weapon of choice for home protection hockey stick moving on to a shotgun. (Yes I hunt.)

Lastly put these weapons of last resort somewhere nobody, and I mean NOBODY but those you want to have access to them can get to any part of them.  And make sure they are proficient with them as well.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1  katrix  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4    5 years ago

A shotgun is really the best option for home defense.  You don't have to be that great of an aim, you don't have to be that close, and there's a good chance that when you pump it, the burglar will leave and you won't even have to use it (but as the article states, you'd better be prepared to shoot it if the noise doesn't scare him off).

And yes, go to the range, shoot skeet or whatever ... but get skilled and keep practicing.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  katrix @4.1    5 years ago

I own a Mossberg M702 Tactical Plinkster .22 cal rifle for home defense. Every other round in the 25 round magazine is a snake shot round. At close quarters this is almost as effective as a regular shotgun. They will slow somebody down enough to allow you to get the upper hand.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.1    5 years ago

Stevens model 520-30 trench gun. Very effective as home defense or other applications. 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1.3  katrix  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.1    5 years ago

What is a snake shot round?

I have a compound bow in addition to my shotgun, but I don't think that would be too practical for self defense.  I suppose in a pinch ... haha.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Kavika   replied to  katrix @4.1.3    5 years ago
What is a snake shot round?

Bird shot in a bullet designed for a handgun or rifle. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  cjcold  replied to  katrix @4.1    2 years ago

AR15, Glock17, auto shotgun and a few other things that go bang.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @4.1.5    2 years ago

??? What prompted you to post that?  Katrix most likely is not even around any more.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2  Freefaller  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4    5 years ago
for god sakes become proficient in firing it!

Fully agree, but would also like to become proficient at safe handling procedures.  Never think your weapon is safe or unloaded, know that it is because you've followed the correct procedures and for gods sake don't put your finger on the trigger unless you are about to fire otherwise it should rest against the trigger guard.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.2.1  katrix  replied to  Freefaller @4.2    5 years ago

I have some friends (I'm in a rural area) who have been shooting their entire lives - and yet clearly never learned the safe handling procedures.  I almost punched one guy who pointed a gun at me and, when I started yelling at him, told me "it isn't loaded."  He genuinely didn't get why I was so angry - and then he told me he's been shooting his entire life, implying that he knows more than I do about guns.  Which in some ways he does - but not in the most important way.  And he still doesn't understand why I will not shoot with him ever again.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  katrix @4.2.1    5 years ago

Lol seen that before and don't blame you.  I learned gun safety in the military and honestly believe people should have to do safety crses taught in the same way, there's nothing like a grizzled old Sergeant repeatedly drilling into you the proper way to do things at the top of his lungs to make you learn.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.2.3  katrix  replied to  Freefaller @4.2.2    5 years ago

Luckily for me, I had to friends teach me to shoot - one is an NRA instructor and the other a former Marine.  They wouldn't let me touch a gun until I had memorized the rules.  And boy, did they have some fun guns for us to shoot!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  cjcold  replied to  katrix @4.2.3    5 years ago

The Boy Scouts in coordination with the NRA taught me safe handling skills way back in the 60s.

I tend to shoot alone these days because there are very few that I trust not to "sweep" me.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.2.5  katrix  replied to  cjcold @4.2.4    5 years ago
I tend to shoot alone these days because there are very few that I trust not to "sweep" me.

It surprised me when I first learned to shoot just how much I had to concentrate on not doing that. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.2.6  cjcold  replied to  Freefaller @4.2    2 years ago

Interesting how most TV and movie stars now keep their fingers off of the trigger.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4    5 years ago

During my 20 years in the Navy I was routinely qualified expert on the Baretta 9mm and Marksman wih the M-14 and M-16/M-4 carbines. I have maintained that proficiency in the 24 years since retiring. I currently own 3 fireams that are kept locked up in my gun safe. My preferred carry weapon is a KelTec PS9 9 mm.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.3.1  cjcold  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.3    2 years ago

Carry a KelTec P3AT as an EDC. The Crimson Trace laser makes it lethal. Can fill a tight ten-round group in a matter of seconds with this thing.

Don't even get me started about what I can do with a highly modified AR15.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.3.2  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @4.3.1    2 years ago

Don't get me started about thousand yard groups with my 30:06.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

I've seen arguments posted here that it's too late for the US to have universal single payer healthcare, and I will put the same argument for gun controls - it's just too late to change the situation. In fact, at this point it would probably be better if virtually everyone, except for those legally disqualified (or situations referred to in the article as reasons NOT to have a gun) had a gun. Along with abortion rights the present healthcare system, and reduced births per family or even more non parenting couples, America really doesn't have to worry much about overpopulation - it could even drop.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5    2 years ago

Having just read what I posted 3 years ago, I still think I was right then and I believe it is just as applicable now. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    5 years ago

Guns are a good investment

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1  cjcold  replied to  charger 383 @6    5 years ago

I have chosen all of mine wisely. There is a disease called tradeitis among gun owners. Buy, sell, trade and hopefully come out ahead. I rarely come out ahead but it is fun trying.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
8  Revillug    2 years ago

I can think of an 11th reason one should not own a gun:

They live in New York City.

Unless you have visited this place, I don't think it is possible to appreciate how crowded it is. Manhattan has 1,694,251 people crammed into 22.83 square miles of land. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1  cjcold  replied to  Revillug @8    2 years ago

Just more reason to cull the heard.

Many Skinner type tests have been done that prove it.

Revillug
Freshman Participates
8.1.1  Revillug  replied to  cjcold @8.1    2 years ago

I'll leave you to your Skinner box in the woods.