╌>

Please welcome my son to the site!

Category:  Other

Via:  community  •  8 years ago  •  99 comments

Please welcome my son to the site!

Rock Hound.jpg

My son, who is 18, has wanted to join the site for several months.  I don't necessarily want him on the front page, but I think he would enjoy the various special interest groups that are here-- and I KNOW he would enjoy conversing with many of you-- and has met several of you.

His screen name is Rock Hound , and he will be requesting membership in several groups.  Please be nice to him.

He is a good person, with a good heart.  Please don't do your best to break his heart, he is still a senior in high school, and some of you can be quite cruel if you disagree...  There is no need to be cruel to him, he is not the kind of person that means to be rude to anyone.  

Yes, he has to grow up sometime, and learn to endure criticism, and this is a start for him...  However, I don't want him to be 'picked upon' by others just because he is my son, or because he is what he is.  

I love him, of course.  I'm letting him try his wings on here, but am asking him to stay off the front page-- he can look, but please don't comment.  

Much love to all here!

Thanks for welcoming Rock Hound!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    8 years ago

That's my son, in disguise...  He will be looking for special friends, and looking to follow several of you.  If he requests membership in a group, please consider him!  He can add a lot!

Thanks for being nice to him!

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Welcome to the monkey house. (Vonnegut)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

Thanks, dear Randy!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Dear Dowser and Rock Hound: Welcome to Rock Hound. 

Rock you are most welcome to read and warmly encouraged to participate in my discussion threads, if you wish. 

Your Mom can attest to the fact that my articles are original. I seek top promote peace, fellowship, sharing and caring in this on line community.

Your Mom also has my private email.

Feel free and encouraged to use it for personal matters if I can ever be of service.

"Baruchim Habahim".

You are most welcomed with blessings,

Enoch.  

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    8 years ago

That's a clever avatar name . Welcome to the site ... Hope to see you participate in some of the venues .

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Petey Coober   8 years ago

Thanks, Petey--  He's a good person!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     8 years ago

Welcome Rock Hound, good to have you aboard. BTW, the purple rock is glowing beautifully in the sun today.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Kavika   8 years ago

Thanks, Kavika!  Big hugs

Rockhound
Freshman Silent
link   Rockhound    8 years ago

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Rockhound   8 years ago

I have already had the benefit of an enjoyable conversation with you, Rock Hound, and look forward to continuing with it. You are most welcome to join the two groups I administer, Classic Cinema, and Canada, if you're interested.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Thanks, Buzz-- I think he is trying to join your groups!  He would have a lot to contribute, if he has the time!  He really enjoyed talking with you!!!  (You have a fan...)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Happy to have a fan besides these three. I actually have similar ones to these internet images.  LOL

fan 2.jpg

fan 3.jpg

fan 1.jpg

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

He will LOVE the first two!  I have a wonderful collection of Chinese fans, thanks to him!

Moonchild63
Freshman Silent
link   Moonchild63  replied to  Rockhound   8 years ago

Love the Huskey! Welcome🎉

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Moonchild63   8 years ago

Thanks, Moonchild!

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    8 years ago

Welcome aboard. I hope he enjoys the site as much as the rest of us do. I'd recommend starting with the safe space group and gradually work his way out from there. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Dean Moriarty   8 years ago

Thanks, Dean.  He's still in high school, and so far, I have recommended that he do some groups...

He's a nice kid, and I don't want to teach him how to be snarky!  Thank you for your welcome!  Big hugs

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

If he's a teenager in HS, I doubt we have anything to teach him with respect to snark...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Cerenkov   8 years ago

Don't be so sure of that!  He's a good person...  

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming     8 years ago

welcome to the combination Thunder dome / fight club , rules are avoid taking anything personally , if you get tired of the circular arguments with no resolution , just walk away , and don't eat the big pink mints in the mens room .

personally I never take my own advice , so be fairly warned.....

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Mark in Wyoming   8 years ago

LOL, Mark.  He is going to be in groups for a while, first.  Among congenial company, I hope...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

LOL I remember being a teen ager , and the parent of teen agers...... nuff said  except best laid plans of mice and men .

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Yeah, but being his mom, I can always boot him off the site...  winking

Really, he's never been one to sneak around behind my back.  Maybe this time he will.  Right now, he can read the front page, just not comment.  But, I think he has some valuable insights to offer in the groups...

While trying to offer him a positive experience, there are a lot of places I can't follow him...  Having had the opposite of parenting from my own parents, I am trying to parent him based on trust.  My mother was sure I was doing something wrong all the time.  I don't want him to feel that I think that about him!!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
link   Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

I doubt you would boot him ,  the hardest thing for any parent is to realize , that the one they cared for is growing up  and individuals in their own rights,and at a point , it is no longer possible for us as parents to shield them , because if we do , we risk them growing up in a bubble continuously protected from the realities of everything . And when the time comes that they , not us decide to take the steps , all we can do is be watchful . I watched 3 leave home , the hardest for me was the oldest , I trusted and hoped that the lessons I taught through childhood , some how sunk in , but  I realized , it wasn't my life to dictate , to protect , that all of them had to make their own choices , even if I disagreed with them. Now the hardest and understandably so for the mom was the youngest , but she saw the other 2 making adult choices , and finally figured , well maybe we did something right and have to trust.

the best way I can put it , is how did we teach them to walk , we had to let them fall down at first , but as hard as it was not to rush and pick them up when they fell , we had to let them get back up and try again , until they took those first few steps , and before we knew it they were running , it all starts with those baby steps to get where they are today.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Absolutely!  My mother never, ever, accepted that I was my own person, not an extension of her, like an arm or a leg.  I will NOT do that to him!  Besides, I trust him-- with my life.  

He is going to learn to try his wings, here...  Soon, he will fly on his own!  

I can't make his choices for him.  I can only be here and love him.  But, for a while, I will keep a watchful eye out for him.  He lost a good friend last week, to suicide, and was shaken.  I don't want him to be shaken up again, by people being mean to him.  If he sticks to the groups at first, he will have a more positive experience.  I told him that he could read the front page, but not comment as yet.  IF he maintains an interest, and IF he can handle it, he may participate on the FP more...  But, later...

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

He is going to be in groups for a while, first.  Among congenial company, I hope...

Assuming that the congenial company starts coming back now that the political nonsense is over, I know just the place.  All we need is a nomination article and I know just the person to write it (not you or me; it should be someone who has met him but is not related).

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

That sounds great, TTGA!  Bitey has met him, as has Gunny, Kavika, Mrs. D.  I will leave it up to them!  thumbs up

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    8 years ago

Welcome Rockhound; it's a pleasure to have you here!

:~)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Larry Hampton   8 years ago

Thank you, dear Larry!  He asked me if you were a nice guy and I said, "One of the best!"

I think you will like him-- he's a good person!

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Ahhh gee Dowsey, you make me blush blushing ...

...looking forward to getting to know young Mr. Rockhound.

:~)

deepwaterdon
Freshman Silent
link   deepwaterdon    8 years ago

If he feels he needs some outdoor experience, Dowser, I can get him a greenhorn job crab or salmon fishing. Only requirement: strong back and a weak mind!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  deepwaterdon   8 years ago

Only requirement: strong back and a weak mind

Plus the ability to keep your lunch down when the ship starts standing on end.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

UGH, TTGA!

I used to get sea-sick on our ski boat...  And for hours, afterward, I felt like I was going UP, going DOWN, going UP, going Down...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  deepwaterdon   8 years ago

He really wants to talk to you dd, about your experiences!  He knows you, because of those wonderful Elk pictures you sent us!  I had them up for a long time...

Thanks for the welcome!

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen    8 years ago

Welcome, RockHound!   Awesome name!   I don't participate in any groups,  but I'll be your NT friend.   (Dowser has to approve first!  HA!)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  KatPen   8 years ago

KatPen, thanks so much for your warm friendship and lovely welcome!  LOVE you!

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Love you too, Dowser!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Big hugs

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  KatPen   8 years ago

@ KatPen:  Just curious, but why DON'T you participate in any groups? They certainly cover a broad range of topics. I'm sure there are a lot of members who don't want to participate in the the Home Page these days, but they might participate in the groups.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

Thanks for the question, Buzz.   I tried a couple groups a while ago but it seemed that there wasn't much activity in them.  I did participate for a while, until the activity/participation slowed way down.  I read the comments on the front page almost daily, and "like" comments I agree with or that I think have a "good point" whether I agree with it or not.  Maybe I should check out those groups again!  Thank you.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  KatPen   8 years ago

I recently saw that Jerry Verlinger made this comment:

"As far as our Groups are concerned, a recent conversation with Perrie has informed me that participation in our groups is going to become very important in the near future."

I have just asked Perrie what she has in mind, but I assume that whatever it is should be to increase participation in the groups, a situation that both Jerry and I have long been concerned with.  Both the Canada group and the Classic Cinema ones are administered by me. I know that the Canada group has limited interest because there are not many members who are Canadians or interested in news relevant to Canada, but more have contributed comments if not articles to the Classic Cinema group. Everyone loves the movies.  I also contribute a lot to A.Mac's Creative Arts (mostly photography) group and I also frequent Kavika's group Anishinaabe, and once in a while contribute to Discovery group, Books, and KK. It does keep me away from the animosity that has been damaging the Home Page.

What topics interest you?  Check out the current list of groups and I would be interested in knowing what piques your interest. 

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

One of the groups I was in was the Tree Sanctuary.   I just looked and now it's the Big Tent Sanctuary.  It was more of a social group, rather than a Topic-related group.  But you're right, Buzz.  I should check out some of the other groups.  (The open ones.  HA!)   Thanks for reminder.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Going to the groups is a fantastic idea!  They are a place for congenial conversations!

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Kat,

Especially don't forget to check out Peter Faden's Food and Beverage group.  Last year, a number of us set up cookbooks using our favorite recipes.  Some really good stuff there with practical (as opposed to theoretical) instructions in how to cook all of the dishes.

KatPen
Freshman Silent
link   KatPen  replied to  TTGA   8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, TTGA!   

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    8 years ago

Welcome RockHound! I was also a rockhound when I was your age. I still have my collection. I will make sure you have only a good experience here.  

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   8 years ago

Thanks so much Perrie!  He loves to hunt rocks, like his mother, but he isn't as wacky as I am-- give me a pile of gravel and I can be amused for days...  Together, we probably have 25+ boxes of rocks...

He's going to have fun here-- talking with so many people who have so much to share with him!  thumbs up

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

"Thanks so much Perrie!  He loves to hunt rocks, like his mother, but he isn't as wacky as I am....."

I think you guys are talking about a different kinds of "Rock". 

My rock collection started at the beginning, with Bill Haley and the Comets and Chuck Berry.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

"Rock Around the Clock" was a Bill Haley and the Comets movie that opened at an outdoor Drive-in theatre where I grew up and had just started to drive a car - and when leaving, the car behind me crashed into mine and pushed it into and damaged car in front of me - it was my first accident, one of those memories that remain with you for the rest of your life.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

""Rock Around the Clock" was a Bill Haley and the Comets movie....."

The song Rock Around the Clock was maybe the first rock song ever published. It was something most of us had never heard before, I know the first time I heard it in the movie, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. 

Bill Haley helped launch the Rock and Roll era, but Chuck Berry fine tuned it into a new art. His song, his "You Never Can Tell" was written in the fifties and is still played today. See the incredible job Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Horns did with the song at a concert in 2013 (also look at the size of the crowd)

I know Rockhound, "the fifties" is ancient history to you, but I was your age when Berry wrote that song.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick    8 years ago

Great to see you here Rock Hound!  I've heard a lot about you and I'm looking forward to seeing more of you!

Image result for welcome to the family funny

Image result for animated hugging emoticon

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Uptownchick   8 years ago

Uppy - are you invisible right now?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
link   JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

Close

Previous
Next

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
link   Uptownchick  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

It's my new super power!!  What's yours?  winking

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Uptownchick   8 years ago

Thanks, dear friend Uppy!!!  

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    8 years ago

Welcome, Rock Hound.  Pardon my language and salty comments to others.  I love your mom to pieces, so to that end, I'll try to clean up my act when you are around. 

Have fun, and try to remember, we're harmless...For the most part...On Sundays...In the afternoon...From 4:25 to 4:30.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom   8 years ago

Dear sweet sister, you are fine as you are!  Thinking about you!

Love you!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    8 years ago

There is no need to be cruel to him, he is not the kind of person that means to be rude to anyone. 

Assuming he has been brought up to behave in the same manner as you, and I know from first hand experience, it is a bad idea to underestimate your level of dignified and respected membership in The NewsTalkers. 

(I came down a little hard on Dowser one time, and did I get a whole lot of criticism about my negative attitude. If you don't already know it, Dowser is one of NewsTalkers most respected members. and I suspect Rock Hound will become the same)

So I respectfully say, Welcome to NewsTalkers Rock Hound!

As far as our Groups are concerned, a recent conversation with Perrie has informed me that participation in our groups is going to become very important in the near future. So, I advise Rock Hound, and everyone else, to get involved with whatever groups that represent the issues that interest you the most.

I will be sending RH some invitations shortly.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

Thank you, dear Jerry!  You are still my friend forever!  thumbs up

Thanks for welcoming Rockhound!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

I will be sending RH some invitations shortly. 

NOTE: Invitations can only be sent to members that have accepted our "Follow" indications by clicking on the "Follow" but on the sites of anyone he wishes it Follow. 

Rock Hound is off-line at the time of this posting, so I will just have to wait.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Jerry, his computer is glitching out, he'll be on in a minute...

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    8 years ago

You are still my friend forever!   thumbs up

You're welcome Dowser, and the feeling is the same from here. 

Jerry, his computer is glitching out, he'll be on in a minute. ..

My 'puter was freaking out just a minute ago, this comment wouldn't post (the "Post Your Comment" button disappeared, I had to click the Reset button to fix it

( Btw, I thought from your article that Rock Hound is spelled with two words, am I wrong? ). 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

You are absolutely right-- we're sitting across the room from each other and I misspell his name...  Typical "mom" garbage, right?

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Dowser   8 years ago

Typical "mom" garbage, right?

Moms are universal.

I thought my name was "Jesus Christ" until I was 6 years old. She would always say things like,  "Jesus Christ, did did you do this??!!"

She passed in August of this year, one month short of her 92 birthday.

Rockhound
Freshman Silent
link   Rockhound  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss Jerry. Losing a mom is unimaginable.

On a lighter note, Mom's taking a break for the night so we wanted to say that was hilarious!laughing dude  I started thinking about this Robin Williams skit. I hope you don't find it offensive but it's hilarious!!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Rockhound   8 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss Jerry. Losing a mom is unimaginable.

Thank you. Unimaginable, but expected. She was 92, I was beginning to think she was going to outlive me.

Thanks also for the hilarious Robin Williams video. The guy is incredible. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

I'm coming up on one year of losing my mom this New Years Eve. She died at 80 of bone cancer. Today (the 21st) is 18 years since my father died of lung cancer at 63. Even though my mom died less then a year ago and I am still going through all of the "firsts" (her first birthday without her, first Mother's day, first Thanksgiving, etc) I still miss them both equally. They say that you are eventually supposed to deal with and accept their deaths. I never reached that point with my father. It is still as raw and painful as if he died yesterday and I believe it'll be the same with my mother.

My condolences on the loss of your mother. It is a terrible thing. I hope you find your peace.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  Randy   8 years ago

Randy, I'm so sorry for your loss!  Your mother must have been a very special lady-- to have you!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jerry Verlinger   8 years ago

Using correct English it would be "Rock Hound" but as a nom de plume  (French for pseudonym or pen name - but I'm sure you know that) it could also be "RockHound" or "Rockhound" - whatever you wish.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

I'm not suggesting you change your avatar, but I thought this would have been a good avatar for your NT user name, or for your mother for her profession.

rockhound.jpg

To me it's a symbol of digging for the truth.

Just don't get into the trouble that Andy Dufresne did - he was a rock hound too. (sorry - I like to speak in terms of classic movies)

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I've moved mine and can't find it...  I can't find anything these days...  My house is like an archaeological dig, my stuff, then Mama's stuff on top.  Someday, I'll find it again!

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger  replied to  Buzz of the Orient   8 years ago

rockhound.jpg

Good quality Stanley leather handled masons hammer.  Looks like it hasn't been used very much.

Send it to Dowser, she can't find hers.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I can always go buy another one-- it may still be in the car...  Mine is not in such great shape, but it's handle is padded and that is important!  I once broke my finger when I was banging on a granite rock, and the hammer bounced back, trapping the finger between the rock and the handle.  OUCH!!

We may expect our parent's deaths, but we're never 'ready' for it!  I'm so sorry for your loss-- I still grieve for my Daddy, 31 years later...  And, of course, I'm still grieving for my mother, who has been gone almost 2 years.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
link   1ofmany    8 years ago

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree so I'm sure your son will be as valuable an addition to the site as is his mother. Welcome rockound. 

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser  replied to  1ofmany   8 years ago

Thank you, very much!!!