╌>

Knowing and Using Words/Learning Can Be Fun! ~ A New NewsTalkers Feature

Category:  Other

Via:  a-macarthur  •  9 years ago  •  80 comments

Knowing and Using Words/Learning Can Be Fun! ~ A New NewsTalkers Feature

WELCOME!

Starting this Friday and every Friday going forward, I will present an article under the heading of

Knowing and Using Words/Learning Can Be Fun!

No dickin' around -- I mean it. LEARNING can be fun, and, what better way to learn and have fun than AND LEARN by yep! you guessed it

Knowing and Using Words

I'm off to the gym really, to the GYMNASIUM (fun, huh!) but I'll be back later with today's WORDS (which, when LEARNED, can be FUN!).

There will be 4 WORDS later on. (4 -- that's not a WORD, it's YES! GOOD! it's a NUMBER (which can also be FUN), but today we're doing WORDS.

Can you you guess today's words ahead of time? Here are some clues.

WORD 1 (ha! another number) begins with the LETTER "D"

WORD 2 begins with the LETTER "V"

WORD 3 also begins with the LETTER "V"

Bye for now.

Oh! Good! Who just said "LETTERS" are fun too." Smartiepants! Yes they are! Thanks for that.

WORD 1 - DOCUMENTATION

noundocumentation\-mn-t-shn, -men-\

the documents, records, etc., that are used to prove something or make something official.

Used in a sentence

I use documentation do you?

WORD 2 - VALIDATION

noun
substantiation;confirmation.

Used in a sentence

Doubling down on a false assertion is not validation.

WORD 3 - VERIFICATION

noun

the process of establishing the truth, accuracy, or validity of something

Used in a sentence

Without attempting to provide verification, one will not likely convince others of the veracity regarding the given position in question.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   seeder  A. Macarthur    9 years ago

Hey! No "f" word while I'm at the GYM

NASIUM.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Mike,

No "B" this week and good try on the D and V's.

First word momentarily in the article body.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Come and get some learnin' -- WORD 1 is up.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P    9 years ago

First off, I don't know what you did in the gym, but you spent less than 2 hours there. I don't know what you can accomplish in the gym in less than 2 hours. Maybe just cardio and stretching. Whatever.

Secondly, if you don't know what the word means, the sentence that you provided will not help me.

Finally, documentation can be used by opponentson a single issue, merely by interpreting it differently.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

D........V......V

Let's see........How about Derisive......Vitriolic........Vilify

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

First off, I don't know what you did in the gym, but you spent less than 2 hours there. I don't know what you can accomplish in the gym in less than 2 hours. Maybe just cardio and stretching. Whatever.

Off topic.

I can only do the treadmill at a 15 degree incline at 4.0 MPH for an hour and a half then walk the block or so back home.

And here I thought using the gym's WIFI was a time saver.

Who knew?

Secondly, if you don't know what the word means, the sentence that you provided will not help me.

Wow! You caught that bit of wise-assery on my part; good call.

Finally, documentation can be used by opponentson a single issue, merely by interpreting it differently.

At times correct; BUT WHEN SOMEONE POSTS AN INTENTIONAL MISREPRESENTATION -- A DISHONESTLY EDITED VERSION OF A STATEMENT AND CITING THE SOURCE OF THE STATEMENT, A BOOK FOR EXAMPLE

AND I PROVIDE THE FRAUDULENT QUOTE, ITS AUTHOR (THE LIAR), ANDTHEN PROVIDE THE REAL QUOTE AND THE BOOK AND PAGE NUMBER OF THE REAL QUOTE

THAT IS NOT SUBJECT TO INTERPRETATION!

When a liar or one of his shills are caught with the irrefutable goods, when they respond by insulting the one who brings the truth SCREW THEM! I like to do the screwing creatively.

DOCUMENTATION IS PROOF/EVIDENCE that which is DOCUMENTED is done so by its provider to hopefully avoid the continued dissemination of misinformation, and/or libelous/slanderous/defamatory (mis) information.

FYI: My weight lifting is done a home.

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
link   Jonathan P    9 years ago

It was not off topic.

It was in the body of your article.

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy    9 years ago

Disabled Veterans of Vilnius.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Documentation is flawed, because we all have sources, and neither accepts the other side's. Moreover, numbers, reports, findings.... are all open to some degree of interpretation, which we disagree on.

I repeat

At times correct; BUT WHEN SOMEONE POSTS AN INTENTIONAL MISREPRESENTATION -- A DISHONESTLY EDITED VERSION OF A STATEMENT AND CITING THE SOURCE OF THE STATEMENT, A BOOK FOR EXAMPLE

AND I PROVIDE THE FRAUDULENT QUOTE, ITS AUTHOR (THE LIAR), ANDTHEN PROVIDE THE REAL QUOTE AND THE BOOK AND PAGE NUMBER OF THE REAL QUOTE

When a liar or one of his shills are caught with the irrefutable goods, when they respond by insulting the one who brings the truth SCREW THEM! I like to do the screwing creatively.

You can't dismiss all information/documentation as being speculative. When I attack a source, I tell exactly who/what and why caused me to do so.

In a world where documentation matters, it's used extensively as a way to measure truth. Some people will off-handedly dismiss the documentation that doesn't fit their agenda they're the ones usually who provide no counter arguments, double down on the lies and shoot the messenger.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Oh, now I'm thinking

Veracity

Verify.

You nailed a form of one of the "V" words and certainly the spirit of the meaning of both!

Well done.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Derisive, Viriolic, Villify they do fit in but not the words.

Kudos for the insight and creativity.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

It was not off topic.

It was in the body of your article.

Fair enough; I apologize.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Would that be four (with or without the mustard)?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

And let us not pretend there's never any documentation that can't show "V" and "V".

Unfortunately, some want to make a pissing contest of everything with which they disagree. In reality, many things are speculative and many others TRUE OR FALSE.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

WORD 2 is posted, defined and used in a sentence (a smart ass sentence like the previous sentence).

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Verification.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Verification.

Yes WORD 3 coming soon!

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I still think Disabled Veterans of Vilnius was a good guess too....

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Jonathan's concern is appreciated I was rude when first reading his comment

I did apologize to him for calling his comment "off topic"; it was not. Sorry again Jonathan. And to allay your trepidations regarding the length and effectiveness of my gym regimen I do the "Whatever" workout you cited.

I do tend to look angry after a workout and, I guess I actually get grumpy.

1360_discussions.jpg But do not concern yourself for an old guy I'm clankin' along.

Thanks again.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Shouldn't this be between you and your therapist?

No worries there, Robert G he says not to take paranoid/character disorder types seriously.

So, I posted this fun article.

Having any?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Dermatozoenwahn verstimmung vorbeigehen

Damn it, BF those were next Friday's words.

Now I have to come up with new ones.

OK what am I thinking now?

(Don't tell him, OK?)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Am i ok to post a picture of my fabulous physique here?

By all means, yes!

Put this old guy to shame.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

I would like to invite all you NT MEN to please keep on posting. I'm inviting the girls and we have a bottle of Merlot ready to go.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

No not mental age and you can't quantify fun it's a subjective thing.

But thanks for playing and do we have a gift for Robert G, Johnny Olson?

No?

Oh. Sorry.

How embarrassing.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Impressive, BF! Truly.

About 50 years ago, I could relate to that.

Time friggin' flies.

Dan Sauers
Freshman Silent
link   Dan Sauers    9 years ago

In a world where documentation matters, it's used extensively as a way to measure truth. Some people will off-handedly dismiss the documentation that doesn't fit their agenda they're the ones usually who provide no counter arguments, double down on the lies and shoot the messenger.

Or in a much more common occurrence documentation for a specific subject can be found from both sides. That leads to cherry picking the documentation that supports one side and ignoring the other. It happens in most circumstances. Just because one does not go through the process of searching for, and copy/pasting information doesn't mean that it's not available. It usually means that the person doesn't care enough to put in that much work.

Some people have way to much time on their hands and spend way too much time arguing on the internet.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Just got back from the gym myself, i look a little angry when i get out of the gym too.

I'm an old guy too!

I wish I was as old as you.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Or in a much more common occurrence documentation for a specific subject can be found from both sides.

Across a given subject, no argument, but on specifically stipulated points, there is usually only one truth (as redundant as that may sound).

Again

BUT WHEN (for example) SOMEONE POSTS AN INTENTIONAL MISREPRESENTATION -- A DISHONESTLY EDITED VERSION OF A STATEMENT AND CITING THE SOURCE OF THE STATEMENT, A BOOK FOR EXAMPLE

And this is where all of this began.

Just because one does not go through the process of searching for, and copy/pasting information doesn't mean that it's not available. It usually means that the person doesn't care enough to put in that much work.

No argument. But when one who gives the time, effort and respect to others in a discussion, that to "care enough" to be specific and thorough in making his case and is disparaged for doing so and with the disparagement comes no viable rebuttal that's a whole 'nother ball game, Dan.

Some people have way to much time on their hands and spend way too much time arguing on the internet.

Agree again; but Perrie puts a lot of time and expense into NT and it's traffic and discussion that drive the site. I'm retired and I can hang out here pretty much when I feel like it. But, time or not a lot of time, honest debate is the standard.

Dan Sauers
Freshman Silent
link   Dan Sauers    9 years ago

A. Mac we agree. I may not post much but I am a regular reader. I appreciate the work Perrie puts in and of those who spend their time having intelligent conversations. That's why I'm here.

The comment about too much time wasn't meant to be an insult towards you for the effort you put into this site. You are one of the best posters here. Far too often you get caught up with the same people repeating the same routine that you describe above. You have the time and energy to do it and that's fine. It's mostly an exercise in futility and you could probably spend your time in a much more rewarding and constructive manner. That's all I really meant.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Dan,

Thank you; when I'm not on NT, I am doing photography and digital art for publishers, or fly fishing or hanging out with my grandkids.

For thirty-plus years, I argued for a living and considered the literal and connotative meanings of words as part of writing, negotiating and enforcing contract language.

Some of my most serious adversaries during negotiations and arbitrations were otherwise friends, or, at the very least civil and respectful; not all, but most.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I wish I was as old as you.

Don't we all!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

WORD 3 is up you can validate and verify that because it's a documented certainty.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Mike,

I thank you for that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Jon,

Come on luv, let's see your hunky bod. :)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Dermatozoenwahn verstimmung vorbeigehen

Pass parasitosis upset?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

As in trust but verify?

(I am being serious now, but was desperate to have an old fashion naughty moment)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I think you might be missing the real purpose of this article, Feronia.

It's part of the "dammit, someone else got the last word, and I'm still pissed" series.

Almost;It's part of the "dammit, someone CLOSED HIS ARTICLE TO COMMENTS WITHOUT GIVING PRIOR NOTICE OR STATED REASON, THAT, LIKELY BECAUSE THE TRUTH BEGAN TAKING OVER HIS ARTICLE SO HE ALLOWED THE LAST WORD TO GO TO HIS SELECTED AGITATORS AND SHILLS, and I'm still pissed" series.

This one was first presented at the last convention of the Copy/Paster Society.

Actually, it was first presented at the "IGNORANCE IS BLISS SOCIETY" ANNUAL SEMINAR AND BOOK BURNING" --

I love their motto

"WHERE COMPLICATED THOUGHTS GO TO DIE."

As for

It drew national attention when someone tried to say something original, and was forcibly removed from the premises.

Hence, evidence of their love of book burning

All those written, copied, pasted into layout applications, printed and distributed words and thoughts and ideas how dare the educated pull that shit by quoting.

Quoting the words of others, no matter how intelligent, truthful and relevant those words if it ain't an "original thought" like ScribblescrabbleSpindingyCaps, blow it off!

Don't dare quote the First Amendment, Robert G, 'cause if you do I will kick your unoriginal, plagiarizing ass all over the board; FIGURATIVELY OF COURSE.

Sorry, still no FR.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Uh, I was talking about me

Wow! I thought you were talking about me

Thequote is properly attributed and you should attribute the photo as well; you did not post it in a questionable context so no misunderstanding is likely. But since you raised the issue, I thought I'd cite chapter and verse.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

There are no parasites herein although there is one among us who hasn't returned his brother-in-law's lawn mower.

Borrowed the sucker back in the 70's.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Check out my article in HD. You had the last word on that before your Mod Pod moved it there.

I don't go to HD so you're going to have to clarify that.

I ignored your FR. You still pissed about that?

I'm f'n devastated. All my friends are reasonable and kind I was hoping for a bit of cultural diversity

Poor one-dimensionally-friended me.

BTW, I don't remember making you a FR.

But WTF! How 'bout it RG?

FR?

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    9 years ago

Last word....

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

RG crayoned

There are no copy/paste delusional self-worshipers who demand loyalty on my friends list.

YOU have a friends list?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Last word....

You win. LR! You got the last word! Way to g

Oh wait! I guess I'm getting the last word by congratulating you

Shit!

Sorry.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

thank you for the congradulation,...last word again.....

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

thank you for the congradulation,...last word again...

All right; on persistence alone you deserve to have the last wor ooops

Damn!

Sorry!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

I'm going to start a spelling class here on Fridays.

I'm looking forward to that. There is a need on NT to know the meaning of these homonyms:

its, it's

to, too, two

there, their, they're

lose, loose (when properly pronounced these are not homonyms, but just used incorrectly)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

By the way, is the mystery "number" word starting with "d" - double?

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

wow JR that sounds so in tents. I might sign up fer sum of them lessens.....Even eye sea thwe need for gooder spellin.....

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Buzz,

At the top of the page, in the body of the original article is the "D" word "DOCUMENTATION".

I copied and pasted it there.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent

for for the record I have the last word, .....Zyxt

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

for for the record I have the last word, .....Zyxt

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh, sorry. Must have dozed off.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

Last word...ZZYZX actual word.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
ultima palabra  -- seor bien hecho!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

"documentation" is a number?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Oh my old brain missed the word "number".

But, I don't understand your question.

I'm sure it's me.

Help.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

No, not you. I misinterpreted your statement (bolding is mine):

WORD 1 (ha! another number) begins with the LETTER "D"

So I thought you wanted a "d" word that was a number.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

No, I was being a smart ass. I was referencing this which was in the article

it's a NUMBER (which can also be FUN), but today we're doing WORDS.

Serves me right.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

what a cutie you are!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert

My interpretation was a result of the reason my ex-wife used to call me "Hamlet" (bolding is mine):

Hamlet:
Now whether it be
Bestial oblivion, or some craven scruple
Of thinking too precisely on th' event...

Hamlet Act 4, scene 4

Randy
Sophomore Participates

So return it and borrow his new one. That one you got is 40 years old!

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I'm going to start a spelling class here on Fridays.

Most of the time my spell checker works, but sometimes not at all. I'm afraid that, just like my hand writing has become so bad because of computers, I'm also becoming spell checker dependent.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Word up.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

That one you got is 40 years old!

But it still mows well.

What's the rush?

Randy
Sophomore Participates

If it ain't broke.....

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    9 years ago

... the Hoople

Randy
Sophomore Participates

All the Young Dudes

Randy
Sophomore Participates

And how mine used to be in the late 70's.Smile.gif

And I was still addicted to dark aviator sunglasses like I am today.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Not among actual Air Force veterans, such as myself. Even ground troops in the Air Force wore them and many still do. We earned the right to. It's like why I have never worked a Veteran's Day since I was discharged. I earned the right not too.

Besides that asshole Cruise played a Navy pilot (now that'll drive recruitment down) so you'd have to ask FLYNAVY1 about if they're still cool in the Navy or among Navy Vets.

Also the movie sucked (not surprising). If you want to see a GREAT more modern Navy flight film, watch "Flight of the Intruder" with Willem Defoe.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
link   FLYNAVY1    9 years ago

Black Ray Bans off duty and away from the aircraft. Things like sunglasses or other loose items that would FOD out a jet engine were forbidden on the flight deck, and flight line.

Top Gun was good for recruiting, but ......

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   Bob Nelson    9 years ago

I saw what you did, there!

Smile.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

(Sorry to be so late to the party...)

I am going off-topic:

I did apologize to him for calling his comment "off topic"; it was not.

Jonathan's Reply was in fact off-topic.

The topic of your article was "words in general, these three in particular, with 'quality of dialogue' in the background". That was the topic.

Incidentally, you mentioned that you were going to the gym. That was not the topic.

The word "the" is "in the body" of almost every seed. The word "the" is never the topic.

The notion that "if the word appears in the article then it is the topic of the article" is either poor reading-comprehension or willful derailing.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide

your, you're

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    9 years ago

The funniest word ever is "kabuki".