╌>

South Korea considers a nuclear arsenal to counter the North

Category:  World News

Via:  harryh  •  7 years ago  •  7 comments

South Korea considers a nuclear arsenal to counter the North

The full article from McClatchy .

Commentary: Frankly, this should have taken place long ago. If South Korea does move in this direction and that is most likely, can Japan be far behind? Considering the historical love and admiration the countries in this region have towards each other... Japan might already have a secret stash.

Now China is faced with the possibility of North Korea, South Korea AND Japan having nuclear weapons down the road. 

What say China? The ball is in your court.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    7 years ago

I doubt Japan has any secret nuclear weapons given the difficulty in developing and maintaing them in secret and the Japanese attitude towards them.

Delete This Acct. A Person that tells a lie, is a liar.
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Delete This Acct. A Person that tells a lie, is a liar.    7 years ago

That attitude may be changing, going back as far as 2009 . Not saying that currently have a nuclear program, however they had a failed one during WW2. Given the attitude of both North and South Korea, the prospect of Japan adjusting their thinking is a very real possibility.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov  replied to  Delete This Acct. A Person that tells a lie, is a liar.   7 years ago

I agree that they are changing just not that they have any secret cache.

Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Delete This Acct. A Person that tells a lie, is a liar.  replied to  Cerenkov   7 years ago

Not a secret cache, but certainly the means to quickly evolve.

From 2014 . And from 2016 .

All that is really required, is a public willingness, imo.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    7 years ago

I think that South Korea 🇰🇷 , Japan 🇯🇵 , and The Republic of China on Taiwan 🇹🇼 Should've all gone nuclear over this along time ago.  

Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Delete This Acct. A Person that tells a lie, is a liar.    7 years ago

I think it is inevitable those parties will have nuclear weapons. Not sure how fast S. Korea could develop one, but Japan has a delivery system and all the materials required. The possibility of Japan having all the parts required for assembly is highly likely. 

That is a part of the world that looks suspiciously on each other. Aiming a few missiles at each other, is not hard to imaging. South Korea and Japan are each looking at the U.S. nuclear umbrella. What does the U.S. do when "allies" point weapons at each other.

I think they should have the weapons and the U.S. should exit the region. 

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   Randy  replied to  Delete This Acct. A Person that tells a lie, is a liar.   7 years ago

I think they should have the weapons and the U.S. should exit the region. 

I think that it's far too late for that. The latest ICBM launch by NK, if it were not basically shot nearly straight up, had the capacity to have reached the Continental United States as far East as Ohio. Of course NK still hasn't managed to make their Nukes small enough to fit on top of one of these ICBMs and they seem to have trouble with the problem of the warhead not disintegrating from low space, yet those are relatively small problems. Just having SK and Japan have their own Nukes and the U.S. pulling out of the region won't work.

Then there is the fact that it is in our strategic and economic interests to stay in the region militarily, especially with China on the rise. We simply can not pull out of the region in any manner.