╌>

This Could Be Trump’s Most Popular Wave Of Judicial Picks Yet

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  singled-out-3  •  7 years ago  •  25 comments

This Could Be Trump’s Most Popular Wave Of Judicial Picks Yet

The White House released President Donald Trump’s eighth slate of judicial nominees Thursday, announcing the nominations of a popular Texas Supreme Court justice and a seasoned religious liberty litigator for the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

The president’s picks for the 5th Circuit include Texas Supreme Court Justice Don Willett, U.S. District Judge James Ho, U.S. District Judge Kurt Engelhardt, and Kyle Duncan, former general counsel of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty.

Willett in particular is popular with law students and practitioners active in social media. The justice maintains a Twitter account that traffics in law puns, pictures of his family, and relentlessly pro-America imagery, prompting the Texas State Legislature to style Willett the state’s Tweeter Laureate in 2015. Legal ethicists cite his use of the medium as the standard par excellence for social media use by judges.

A devotee of Chick-fil-A, the justice keeps a “satellite office” at a location near his Austin home, to achieve “what Oliver Wendell Holmes called ‘the secret joy of isolated thought.’”

Twitter aside, Willett first attracted widespread attention in 2015 for a concurrence that he wrote in the case Patel v. Texas Department of Licensing, in which he urged courts to apply great scrutiny to government regulation of economic activity. The opinion was a significant contribution to the ongoing debate in conservative legal circles about the proper role of a court in a free society.

Duncan, one of the nation’s top religious liberty litigators, will likely attract significant criticism from Democrats. Before entering private practice, he led one of the nation’s top public interest law firms, representing a variety of high profile clients before the U.S. Supreme Court. He was lead counsel in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, in which a 5-4 Court concluded that the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate does not apply against closely-held private corporate entities.

In private practice he represented the Gloucester County School Board in litigation concerning its refusal to allow a biological female student who identified as male to use the male bathroom. The Supreme Court initially agreed to hear the case, but dismissed it after the Trump administration withdrew Obama-era guidance advising that public schools should provide such accommodations to trans students.

Other nominees announced Thursday include Gregory Maggs for the U.S. Court Of Appeals for the Armed Forces, Ryan Holte for the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, Barry Ashe for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, Daniel Domenico for the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, and Howard Nielson for the U.S. District Court for the District of Utah.

Conservative court-watchers praised the president’s picks.

“Top to bottom, this is an extraordinary list of judicial nominees,” said Carrie Severino, chief counsel of the Judicial Crisis Network, a conservative advocacy group. “President Trump continues to hit grand slams in an area that unites and excites Republicans.”

Leonard Leo, the president’s judicial selection guru, singled out Willett and Duncan for praise in a statement supporting the nominees.

“President Trump’s latest group of judicial nominees is strong. Texas Justice Don Willett and Louisiana attorney and professor Kyle Duncan, in particular, embody President Trump’s commitment to picking judges who have a record of excellence and a commitment to a judicial role that is impartial rather than committed to a particular personal or legal agenda.”

“They are held in very high regard by scholars and practicing lawyers across the country, and I am confident they will serve with distinction,” he added.   https://stream.org/trumps-popular-wave-judicial-picks-yet/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

AP17270621317532__1506687769_198.49.27.74.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    7 years ago

Where's the vomiting emoticon when you need one?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    7 years ago

Willett in particular is an outstanding choice.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
2.1  ausmth  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    7 years ago

Willett in particular is an outstanding choice.

Yes indeed!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    7 years ago

"Duncan, one of the nation’s top religious liberty litigators, will likely attract significant criticism from Democrats. Before entering private practice, he led one of the nation’s top public interest law firms, representing a variety of high profile clients before the U.S. Supreme Court. He was lead counsel in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, in which a 5-4 Court concluded that the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate does not apply against closely-held private corporate entities."

Wow, a fundamentalist freak whackjob.  Wonderful!  NOT!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3    7 years ago

We Christians really offend you that much?  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4  seeder  XXJefferson51    7 years ago

Trump nominated a group of awesome 😎 people to serve on our courts.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
5  ausmth    7 years ago

Great job Mr President!  That is why I voted for you!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  ausmth @5    7 years ago

I know of a number of voters who voted for Trump primarily or solely because of the federal judiciary.  

ausmth
Freshman Silent
5.1.1  ausmth  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    7 years ago

I am one of them.   He was my last choice among reps.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  ausmth @5.1.1    7 years ago

Mine too.  

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.1.3  1ofmany  replied to  ausmth @5.1.1    7 years ago

Trump is a walking middle finger directed at Democrats and the republican establisment. As middle fingers go, he's about to be eclipsed by judge Roy Moore, the man Democrats call the ayatolla of Alabama. Democrats will slander Moore as is their way, say that everyone who supports him is deplorable/stupid/crazy, drive his poll numbers up rather than down, and help elect him. Other Moores will follow in his footsteps. 

ausmth
Freshman Silent
5.1.4  ausmth  replied to  1ofmany @5.1.3    7 years ago
Other Moores will follow in his footsteps.

Well said!  It works for me.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  1ofmany @5.1.3    7 years ago

Alabama is good at that.  The liberal jerks on the senate judiciary committee denied judge Sessions a seat on a federal court calling him a racist.  They elected him to the US Senate and the GOP promptly put him on the judiciary committee where he was then a peer of the very democrats who libeled him.  Now they are doing it again with Moore.  He will now be a part of the same federal government that stripped him of his state court position.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6  Vic Eldred    7 years ago

And they say "he hasn't accomplished anything"

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6.1  Cerenkov  replied to  Vic Eldred @6    7 years ago

He has already validated my vote.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
7  1ofmany    7 years ago

With any luck, Ginsburg's Faustian deal to outlive Methuselah will be nullified and Trump can pick another Supreme Court Justice.

ausmth
Freshman Silent
7.1  ausmth  replied to  1ofmany @7    7 years ago
Ginsburg's Faustian deal to outlive Methuselah

Talk about longevity!  At least there isn't a painting in the closet.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
7.1.1  1ofmany  replied to  ausmth @7.1    7 years ago

Ginsburg's Faustian deal to outlive Methuselah

Talk about longevity! At least there isn't a painting in the closet.

If there were a painting and you add its wrinkles to her own, then she would just be a prune with eyes.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  1ofmany @7.1.1    7 years ago

The Dems will throw a fit if Trump got to replace her on the court.  

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
7.1.3  1ofmany  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.2    7 years ago
The Dems will throw a fit if Trump got to replace her on the court.

That would be entertaining. I'd prefer William Pryor but they'd put on a much better show if Trump nominated Roy Moore. All bodies of water would be clogged with Democrats who jumped in out of hysteria. 

ausmth
Freshman Silent
7.1.4  ausmth  replied to  1ofmany @7.1.1    7 years ago

Youth and beauty are gone one day. It ends in dust and disarray. Seeger

Here is her quite stunning beginning:

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
7.1.5  1ofmany  replied to  ausmth @7.1.4    7 years ago
. . . It ends in dust and disarray.

Wow, it sure did. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
7.1.6  Cerenkov  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.2    7 years ago

That will be fun times! Except for the folks impacted by the inevitable rioting and progressive terrorism. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  1ofmany @7.1.3    7 years ago

As much as I like Moore in the senate, I'm not sure I'd like him on the federal court.