╌>

Remember ? When ?

Category:  meta

By:  it-is-me  •  7 years ago  •  54 comments

Remember ?  When ?

Remember when ............. we used to be able to do things on our Own ?

WE LIVED AND LEARNED on our own !

We gained, failed and then gained on our own again ?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1  author  It Is ME    7 years ago

Now it's ALWAYS what others should do so some can have a REMEMBER WHEN too !

Very Sad !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  author  It Is ME    7 years ago

Family isn't Family anymore. That's the problem.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  author  It Is ME    7 years ago

Liberal types will make it seem like you CAN'T.....gain, fail and gain !

The Liberal premise is you Gain then Fail.......and that's all there IS !

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3    7 years ago

Isn't that a bit of an over-generalization?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7  Jasper2529    7 years ago

Remember when .... ?

1. we roller-skated, ice-skated, or rode bicycles without helmets and protective body gear and it was rare that someone was seriously injured?
  2. parents didn't race into school to complain to the principal every time their "baby" got less than a B on a homework assignment?
  3. pediatricians told parents to lay their infants on their backs, changed it to stomachs,  then back to sleeping on backs? SIDS has existed for centuries -- Make up your minds!
  4. US citizens and legal immigrants respected our flag and national anthem?
  5. Immigrants strove to assimilate to the customs and language of their adopted country?
  6. everyone respected the OFFICE of the POTUS even when they didn't vote for him?
  7. the losing POTUS candidate gracefully made a timely concession speech and stepped out of the limelight? 
  8. everyone was allowed to express their 1st Amendment constitutional rights without fear of being assaulted on college campuses?
  9. our public schools didn't unconstitutionally censor music, literature, and art due to a minority's "feelings"?
  10. schools didn't prohibit ghost, witch, cowboy, princess, and law enforcement Hallowe'en costumes because "some people's feelings might be hurt"?
  11. the MSM reported factual news and not fake news?
  12. people actually CALLED you on the phone to tell you that a family member died or you've been invited to a party?

I remember all of the above. Life was simpler, happier, and less judgmental and fearful.

PS -- I do love Alan Jackson's song. Thank you for sharing it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    7 years ago

Let me add a few:

13. People left their doors unlocked
14. there was no drug epidemic
15. people knew & greeted their neighbors
16. Teachers were allowed to discipline students & schools even expelled thugs
17. We all loved our parents
18. Politics hadn't invaded every aspect of society
19. Men were accountable to women
20. People helped one another, before government assistance

Good article

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1    7 years ago

Excellent additions, Vic. FR sent.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  Sunshine  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1    7 years ago

21. you could put a political sign in your yard without fear of your house burning down.

22. no one freaked out because someone said "Merry Christmas"

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.4  Studiusbagus  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1    7 years ago
16. Teachers were allowed to discipline students & schools even expelled thugs

I Copied them all but....anyway, you'd love my little town.

Door is always unlocked, neighborhood kids and their parents know that Poppa Joe's is always a safe haven. That's actually my neighborhood name.

The discipline? Remember when you got home and got it all over again because someone outside had to discipline you? And my neighbors again have all told me, "If they get out of line, it's a good as your kid, red butt and all"

You and I were actually raised to not even allow accountability to enter in to the equation...it was a forgone conclusion of normal.

Politics ...eh...in passing and usually local.

My debt will never be able to be repaid to my community.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Studiusbagus @7.1.4    7 years ago

yup, that sounds like the country we grew up in

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1.5    7 years ago

Not just YOUR country, but north of your border as well. Having been born in 1937 I can identify with most of those things listed above and add a few:

Making my own scooter with an orange crate, a couple of boards and a roller skate taken apart

Playing with matches in a dry field and lighting a fire that brought the fire trucks

Putting pennies on railroad tracks to flatten them.

Collecting empty pop (soda to you Yanks) bottles on the beach and turning them in to the variety store for 2 cents each and then using the proceeds to buy a 10 cent mellowroll ice cream cone.

Flooding the sunken back yard to make a private skating rink.

Sitting on my father's lap to steer the car.

Making an igloo out of snow and spending a night sleeping in it (remember, I'm talking about Canada before global warming).

Listening to Foster Hewitt announce Hockey Night in Canada while in bed (back in the days when the Leafs were winners).

Putting my initials into the neighbour's not yet solidified new front concrete walk (not realizing that the evidence was bound to point to me).

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Vic Eldred @7.1    7 years ago

24.) Bicycles had one speed.   If you wanted to go faster, you pedaled harder.

25.) Party lines and dial telephones

26.) Pay phones

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7.1.8  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.7    7 years ago

I was traveling to Florida after the hurricane and did a pit stop in SC. There were still pay phones at the rest stop. Couldn't believe it had to take a picture.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @7.1.8    7 years ago

Yeah you can still find then but they are extremely rare.

Back before cell phone we used them quite a bit.   Younger folks have no idea what that was like.

I've got another oldie but goodie:

27.) Punch cards for programming, card punch machines, card readers, batch stations to pick up your completed programs, debugging  ...... crazy stuff in comparison to today!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7.1.10  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.9    7 years ago

I went to a technical school many moons ago for computer programming and I remember the punch cards very well and the IBM Cobol program sheets. It wasn't long before it was all obsolete.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.1.11  Sunshine  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.9    7 years ago

28.) board games

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.1.12  Sunshine  replied to  JaneDoe @7.1.10    7 years ago

I must be ancient...I remember pencils and paper ledgers.  People smoking at their desk.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7.1.13  JaneDoe  replied to  Sunshine @7.1.12    7 years ago

Ancient? Heck no. we are just well seasoned. lol

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  JaneDoe @7.1.10    7 years ago

Yeah me too.    We thought we were all that and bag of chips with that stuff.  

CAD started to come into it's own while i was in school.   Lockheed donated a very early generation CAD/CAM program to my school.   Just drawing a simple A to B straight line was like a six step process.   It was crazy by today's standards but we didn't know any better.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Sunshine @7.1.11    7 years ago

29.)  Push button car gear shifters.

30.) Three on the tree

31.) Vent windows

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
7.2  Studiusbagus  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    7 years ago
rode bicycles without helmets and protective body gear and it was rare that someone was seriously injured?

Or when they did wreck...did you guys name the place? We had "Bloody Hill" among others when a kid took his sled down and whacked his nose in a tree....blood all over in the snow so......

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Studiusbagus @7.2    7 years ago
Or when they did wreck...did you guys name the place? We had "Bloody Hill" among others when a kid took his sled down and whacked his nose in a tree....blood all over in the snow so......

Yep, we did dangerous things like you apparently did. Thanks for mentioning sledding - I forgot to put that on my list. Same with us playing Mumblety-peg. Kids got hurt sledding and playing with knives, and there was blood, but our parents didn't freak out over blood the way today's helicopter snowflake mommies and daddies do.  Even with our own kids, my wife and I didn't freak out, because we knew how to stop bleeding, check for other injuries, and if we couldn't handle them ... call 911..

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Studiusbagus @7.2    7 years ago

I used to ride a skateboard bare footed made from a piece of wood and the stolen wheels from my sister's skates.  I had my share of bloody big toes.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7.3  JaneDoe  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    7 years ago

drinking out of the garden hose.

staying outside until the street lights came on.

building bike ramps and using them with no helmets.

walking to the penny candy store.  2 Swedish fish for a penny.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.4  Krishna  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    7 years ago

Remember when ... parents didn't race into school to complain to the principal every time their "baby" got less than a B on a homework assignment?

Things have definitely changed in that regard!

Image result for teacher parent then and now cartoon

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    7 years ago

Remember when air was clean and sex was dirty?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1  author  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    7 years ago
Remember when air was clean

Mines fine !

Bluestride
Freshman Silent
9  Bluestride    7 years ago
I remember the list of emergency numebers (police, fire, etc.) on the refrigerator door because there was no 911. No street number address either just a rural route number (how the Post Office made sure it got mail to the right house that doubled for an "address"). Walking miles down the local highway to the nearest convienence store with some quarters to play a video game or pinball. As someone mentioned before, getting paddled in school, often the teacher would simply take you outside the class room and paddle you right there in the hallway. Speaking of school. Having a parking lot at the local high school with 100+ shotguns and rifles in the cars on school grounds because students went hunting after school. Also wore our buck knives on our belts in class. No one was ever shot or purposely cut.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
9.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Bluestride @9    7 years ago

The refrigerator list made me remember the Mr. Yuck stickers

zuksam
Junior Silent
9.2  zuksam  replied to  Bluestride @9    7 years ago

Beer tab chains ! My friends and I built one over 100 feet long one summer.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     7 years ago

I remember black and white TV with 3 channels, radio programs,  cars that got 10 miles to the gallon and half of them spewed black smoke, high crime and people dying of now curable diseases, I remember needing to find an expert on any subject to find any answer now its available at your fingertips. I remember black people being discriminated against in many ways and women being told their place was in the kitchen and bedroom not the board room. I remember the pollution spewing from every smokestack in sight and the people affected with lung damage having problems because of it. I remember seeing dead fish in the Illinois river form the topic crap they allowed to be dumped into it. I remember the pop holes and horrible road that tore up my cars, I remember the old school medicine that one doctor thought he knew everything about the human body and watched many of them die. Best of all I remember when we were all supposed to be carbon copies of each other and our parents.

Thank God for 2017 !!!