╌>

The De-evolution of a site

Category:  Other

Via:  neale-osborn  •  9 years ago  •  22 comments

The De-evolution of a site

First things first- this is NOT a criticism of Perrie. She's ONE person, and cannot be everywhere. We're all supposed to be at least friendly here, if not actually friends. That's not happening anymore.

I picked up a group of friends, and moved our private group here, because an older member of NT told us how great Y'all were. NewsVine had changed to the point it was not worth remaining, they had removed the private group function, and we just wanted privacy. When we first came, we got not only privacy, but a warm welcome. It wasn't long before a few NT members were asked to join us. But, as more and more people joined NT, a bad thing happened. NT started a slow, but steady, decline. THIS SUCKS.

Poor Perrie has worked her ass off trying to keep us civil. For my part, I stopped putting my weekly gun article here, because assholes were using it as a stomping ground. So I decided not to let them have that forum. I didn't make a big deal about it, I just stopped. It's available several places on line, but not here. I do not go to the front page, because, again, the assholes are becoming more numerous, and I want nothing to do with them.

It seems that unless I want to start my own site (something I am seriously considering) there's nowhere to go that will be run as I want it to be run. And of course, since it isn't mine, that's to be expected. But if we do not make the effort to be just a bit more friendly, a bit less nasty, a bit less willing to just leave an asshole alone (or not BE the asshole) NT will go down the tubes.

I've got friends who are leaving NT. I've got people who firmly believe that NT's decline and growing toxicity have contributed to health woes of some of our older members. I haven't been around much the last few weeks dealing with my father's declining health, and I haven't been aware of any current drama, but if it's there, could we PLEASE tone it down? Does every argument HAVE to end in a fight, rather than agreeing to disagree?

Let's give Perrie a break, let's be a little nicer to each other, and let's KEEP NT in one piece.

Let's not wreck this place, friends.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Neale Osborn    9 years ago

Do it or not, it's up to each of YOU!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
link   XXJefferson51    9 years ago

Civility in interacting with others here and anywhere is always important. We should always be civil and polite no matter how much we disagree with what another seeds, believes, or says here.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

"there are other "assholes" Yep you don't have amonopoly.

jennilee
Freshman Silent
link   jennilee    9 years ago
No names were mentioned, only an observation that Perrie works her butt off to try to keep this civil, and some go out of their way to keep her busy.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

I don't have a problem, but that bit about "All my comments would be on fingers and toes" is BS. YOU are one of the biggest problems, but it isn't with ME. I've come to just ignore you. And after this comment, I will continue to do so.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Exactly. I had no intention of saying names. Of course, one of the names decided to get pissy off the start, and I couldn't help myself- I had to point it out. Grin.gif Of course, I've never said I was perfect!

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Will do.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

IF I thought you were worth the time (you're not) I'd go to just a few of them and prove you the liar you are. But I have better things to do- like playing with my kids, or fishing in my pond, or feeding the chickens, or hell, shoveling horseshit. So carry on with your delusions. I'll be having fun here.

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet
link   MalamuteMan    9 years ago

Poor Perrie has worked her ass off trying to keep us civil.

Mal seconds that!!!

BRAVO to Perrie... and to you too, Neale... For your efforts to keep this place the good thing Perrie always intended it to be!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I can only echo Mal-- Bravo!

Perrie is my friend, and I love her. Can't we all just get along?

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

M M

You are absolutely correct.

We owe Perrie a lot for her efforts on our site!

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

You're correct. my apologies to all of you, and even to JR. I'll follow my own advice, and not keep it going.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I haven't been on his column in quite a while, John, so I'm not sure what everyone is talking about...

But, the hatefest on the front page has gotten out of hand. Even normal, non-threatening, informative articles attract snarky remarks.

It's like everyone is mad at everyone else, and that carries over into all articles. It's a shame!

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

No, John, I didn't. I said that my gun articles were attracting people( like you), who were negative, and I decided to drop them from NT out of respect for her site. I wasn't uncomfortable, I felt that it just was better suited to a deliberately adversarial site (like NV) and to sights where people enjoy talking about the 2nd Amendment with an open mind.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Link. 8 comments. ONE rant. Found in 3 minutes. that'll do for ME

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet

Seems to me that is denigrating a member of NT. that is exactly what Neale is talking about.

Mal agrees!!! Anyone who knows me knows I am not a fan of guns... But I don't see how denigrating people who are gun fans does anything good... No matter how you feel about guns.

Neale's point is quite simply there is too much hate happening here, and for that matter nearly every other forum... That accomplishes nothing except to destroy the places we have to voice our thoughts.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

Hi Neale,

First of all, I couldn't have been more shocked by an article as I have been about this one. If you were having issues anywhere on the site, I would have thought you would have talked to me or Mac first. I also wished that this issue was talked about in private. It prevents more bad feelings on the site. If people were trolling your gun articles, I would have taken care of that, too.

Second, I know where this comes from. Mass emails rarely get past me. I will NOT discuss it here, as I will give that individual the courtesy that they didn't give me. I have to say though, that it is very hurtful to have a mass email go out (using a system that I provided) about ME, to try an illicit a reaction from their friends. I see it was very effective, since this article is a result of that email.

Third, despite what some think, NT has always had people with opposing views, and sometimes folks get snarky with each other. That being said, if anyone reports to me or the other mods and issue, we handle it. We try our best to keep things civil.

Forth, KK is a private group, safe from the front page. The members there have never had an issue with NT at large. I don't see how this affects either you or any other member unless they want to be on the front page. Most are quite content to stay in KK.

Most of the membership knows that I am moving the site to another platform. I am going to have to separate forums for News & Politics, one civil with very strict rules and the other no holds bar, with the exception of personal slam articles. I am doing away with Heated Discussions. I figured I would give this a try and see if this works.

Since this is my 5th year of running NT, I can tell you that most of you think you know how you would do it better. I know that I did when I left NV. Then comes the actual administration of the site, and suddenly, you realize that no matter how hard you work on a site, you just can't please everyone. It is just impossible. I try my best to please as many people as I can, and I am very accessable, by chat and by email. I always respond back. No one goes unanswered. That being said, sometimes the answer isn't what the person wants. That is life. I have to abide by the rules that the group voted on. But bottom line, I really don't see how this impacts KK. It only is an issue on the front page, if you chose to participate there. And even there, as I said earlier, if there is an issue, I am willing to deal with it.

Finally, this couldn't have come at a worse time. I know you didn't do this on purpose, but my kids go to school in Baltimore. I am so stressed out about their safety. Having to deal with an issue like this now, well lets just say, more stress when I least needed it.

MalamuteMan
Professor Quiet

Since this is my 5th year of running NT, I can tell you that most of youthinkyou know how you would do it better. I know that I did when I left NV. Then comes the actual administration of the site, and suddenly, you realize that no matter how hard you work on a site, you just can't please everyone. It is just impossible. I try my best to please as many people as I can, and I am very accessable, by chat and by email. I always respond back. No one goes unanswered. That being said, sometimes the answer isn't what the person wants. That is life. I have to abide by the rules that the group voted on. But bottom line, I really don't see how this impacts KK. It only is an issue on the front page, if youchoseto participate there. And even there, as I said earlier, if there is an issue, I am willing to deal with it.

You are truly amazing, Perrie! A gift to us all! Thank You!!!

Finally, this couldn't have come at a worse time. I know you didn't do this on purpose, but my kids go to school in Baltimore. I am so stressed out about their safety. Having to deal with an issue like this now, well lets just say, more stress when I least needed it.

Mal sends his best wishes for the safety of Perrie's girls...

Much Love,
Mal

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

Thank you all for understanding how hard I try and for your support. I love you guys.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     9 years ago

This is a social site, everyone one has a opinion. You may not like some of them, but they will always be there.

Snark is used on a regular basis, and is not unusual in a social network.

I don't read gun articles Neale, butnot thatI'm opposed to guns, I own 3. It's just that it's not a priority for me.

Perrie has tried very hard to satisfy all members, but as you know, that is impossible.

I guess the bottom line for some members is, ''If you can't take the heat, stay the hell out of the kitchen.''

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

Perrie- It wasn't ME who has the problem, it was ME trying to spark a change and save YOU the headaches. But, since your kids are making Mom crazy-worried, I'd be happy to shut this down-

NOTE- instant chat tells me Perrie doesn't want that. however, out of respect for Perrie and her probs with the kids, the arguments are DONE. Read the article. Think about it. Do not contribute to the problem, and I'll try not to either.

Neale Osborn
Freshman Silent

I closed comments. NOT Perrie. She just told me how.

This was NOT by her request. I was unaware of her kids proximity to the fray, or I'd NEVER have put this in her view at this time. After Baltimore settles down, I might re-open this