╌>

This burger chain wants to replace cashiers with machines that analyze your face and know your order

Category:  Wine & Food

Via:  bob-nelson  •  7 years ago  •  64 comments

This burger chain wants to replace cashiers with machines that analyze your face and know your order

A burger chain that uses robots to flip burgers is replacing cashiers with machines that know your order by analyzing your face.

CaliBurger, a burger chain with more than 40 locations globally, is now allowing customers to order using a kiosk that automatically recognizes the faces of certain loyal customers. The burger chain and the NEC Corporation of America, which made the machines' artificial intelligence technology, unveiled the self-ordering kiosks on Tuesday.

screen%20shot%202017-12-20%20at%20100409 CaliBurger

Customers use the new kiosk by creating an loyalty account with CaliBurger, linking their faces to past orders. Then, when they return to the burger chain, they simply need to look into the machine's camera — and their orders will automatically pop up.

screen%20shot%202017-12-20%20at%20100916 CaliBurger's burger flipping machine
Business Insider

Currently, CaliBurger is testing the kiosk at a single location in Pasadena, California. If all goes well, the chain plans to roll out the self-ordering, face-recognizing kiosk at all locations in 2018.

"Our goal for 2018 is to replace credit card swipes with face-based payments," Cali Group CEP John Miller said in a statement. "Facial recognition is part of our broader strategy to enable the restaurant and retail industries to provide the same kinds of benefits and conveniences in the built world that customers experience with retailers like Amazon in the digital world."

CaliBurger has made waves with its focus on using robots for jobs typically reserved for humans. The chain uses an robot to flip burgers in the kitchen and is developing infrastructure to replace food deliverers with autonomous vehicles.

https://vimeo.com/247885237

=============================

Original article

by Kate Taylor

Business Insider UK

There may be links in the Original Article that have not been reproduced here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

The robots are coming for your jobs!

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
1.1  Willjay9  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    7 years ago

But...but.......Trump promised me if I trusted him and gave him more money, then this wasn't supposed to happen!..../s

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  Willjay9  replied to    7 years ago

So....Trump didn't promise with tax cuts that there would be more jobs? Seems like this one particular corporation is basically calling Trump a liar! It seems like with this new automation they will be getting rid of at least 3 cashiers and only adding one technician......that's not a job increase! So tell me again how it's a flat out lie?

Oh! Also

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Willjay9 @1.1.2    7 years ago
So....Trump didn't promise with tax cuts that there would be more jobs?

Trump promised tax cuts. But to be fair,  robots do work hard. So when they arrive they should be well paid-- and thier income taxed. 

But I wonder-- will the new tax bill have a provision for tax cuts for robots?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    7 years ago

There will be robot doctors by the end of the century. Just about every job can be replaced by a robot eventually.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  JohnRussell @3    7 years ago
There will be robot doctors by the end of the century. Just about every job can be replaced by a robot eventually.

Yes. And no one is addressing the elephant in the room:

Who will receive the added value created by the robots?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson @3.1    7 years ago

Everyone that uses them. 

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
3.1.2  Willjay9  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1.1    7 years ago

What about the person who's job that robot replaced?!....(oops!)

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
3.1.4  Willjay9  replied to    7 years ago

Yeah, the person who is currently making 8.00/hr but thanks to this robot will be making 0.00/hr!

How is the robot benefiting that person again?

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
3.1.6  Willjay9  replied to    7 years ago

And how is that going to stop their job from being automated?! How is that robot benefiting the person that job will be deleted because of this robot?......waiting

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.7  Krishna  replied to  Willjay9 @3.1.4    7 years ago
How is the robot benefiting that person again?

Depends. Is that robot a Democrat or a Republican?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     7 years ago

Not surprising at all...The move to automation is in full swing and there is little that will stop it. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Kavika @4    7 years ago

I hope not who wants to live like a caveman? I'm stoked about the technological advancements and the opportunities they create. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @4    7 years ago
... there is little that will stop it

Do we want to stop it?

I don't think burger-flipping is something that we want to preserve.

The real subject is "How do we get accredit the added value from the robot to the employee who was displaced?"

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2    7 years ago

I would suspect that people that are being replaced by robots are concerned, since the corporations are there to serve their shareholders they will keep moving forward with AI. 

What about the people being replaced? I doubt if corporations are concerned about that at all, since every human being replaced adds to their bottom line. 

The ''people'' in the end game are simply replaceable. I don't have an answer to the added value, except to say that I believe we are going to see more and more people replaced by robots. At some point it will become a crisis that has to be addressed. Are we ready for it, I don't think so.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
4.2.2  Rex Block  replied to  Kavika @4.2.1    7 years ago
What about the people being replaced? I doubt if corporations are concerned about that at all, since every human being replaced adds to their bottom line.

Who care about those people. They can go work elsewhere if they have bothered to gain some skills. A well run and successful company, large or small, strives to keep their costs as low as possible, including labor. Sounds uncaring and mean, but that's life in the real world.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Rex Block @4.2.2    7 years ago

I wasn't speaking just about low skilled workers, many industries are, and will be experiencing skilled positions being replaced by robots and AI...

That is the wave of the future, the question is as the positions, both skilled and non skilled are replaced with robots and AI what will be the fall out and how will it be handled. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @4.2.3    7 years ago
what will be the fall out and how will it be handled.

It won't be handled there will be higher unemployment, more poverty and homelessness and of course Soylent Green.

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.2.5  Willjay9  replied to  Rex Block @4.2.2    7 years ago
Who care about those people.

Spoken like a true conservative!........smdh

They can go work elsewhere if they have bothered to gain some skills.

Funny.....you didn't think that way when it was coal jobs on the line!

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.2.7  Willjay9  replied to    7 years ago

Really?! Weren't you just the one ranting about a burger flipper with no education and skill set....but you acting like going down a coal mine and swinging a pick ax or shovel takes and undergraduate degree or 5 years of OJT to master!

Are you claiming it takes as much or more workplace experience to put a Big Mac together than it does to mine coal? 

And I guess you need extensive training to dig coal!....GTFOH!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.8  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Freefaller @4.2.4    7 years ago

Make Room! Make Room!

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.2.10  Willjay9  replied to    7 years ago
Actually you don't, the money lies in the danger not the education.

"Then maybe the person potentially putting themselves in an early grave should shut the fuck up, stop complaining and be happy to be making anything at all while they try to advance themselves!"

laughing dude laughing dude laughing dude

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
4.2.11  Willjay9  replied to    7 years ago
How many burger flippers do you know which would go deep down into a mine, day in and day out and subject themselves to the dangers of mining coal? Would you?

Fuck no.....maybe because I have triple digit IQ and can read above a 4th grade level! Oh! And I'm allergic to coal dust asphyxiation, bone shattering cave ins, and black lung disease!

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.2.12  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to    7 years ago
Would you?

I climbed  (at the time and maybe still are) the tallest manmade structures in the southern hemisphere for years.

the only American in history to do so.  my being there even caused a flap and court case with the unions...

was told I would never climb those towers again...

went on leave, came back and found the judge ruled in our/my favor.. 

and back up the towers I went.. good fun.  tower zero was almost 1300ft and barely 12ft wide.

not many fry cooks would do that either...

doing that took no brains.. just balls the size of bowling balls.

some people live for a little danger :)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.13  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @4.2.1    7 years ago
The ''people'' in the end game are simply replaceable. I don't have an answer to the added value, except to say that I believe we are going to see more and more people replaced by robots. At some point it will become a crisis that has to be addressed. Are we ready for it, I don't think so.

I've though about that for a long time. It seems obvious that more and more robots will be used-- and more and more people will therefore lose their jobs. And so far-- I really can't think of any solution to this problem.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.14  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Krishna @4.2.13    7 years ago
And so far-- I really can't think of any solution to this problem.

That's why it isn't in the public spotlight. Politicians don't like problems with only bad solutions.

I see two paths:

- Dystopia, with a small caste of ultra-rich, and a great mass of proles,

- A sea-change in attitudes toward "property", with the arrival of collective ownership of means of production and distribution.

I'm not optimistic...

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.3  Spikegary  replied to  Kavika @4    7 years ago

Has been since man invented/discovered the first tool.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.3.1  Krishna  replied to  Spikegary @4.3    7 years ago
Has been since man invented/discovered the first tool.

I've though of that as well. The phenomenon of advances in technology replacing many workers has been going on for a long time. ...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5  Hal A. Lujah    7 years ago

Wow, what an exciting concept.  Your face determines the one meal you are allowed to order.  Ingenious.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1  Spikegary  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    7 years ago

So, when you walk up and it delivers the 'Garbage Plate' to you.........

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Spikegary @5.1    7 years ago

I generally don't eat fast food.  Don't be surprised in the interconnected world we live in, when your life insurance company quadruples your premium based on the footage of your face ordering 1,500 bacon double cheeseburgers from a machine brewing with ecoli.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.1    7 years ago

Good the obese should pay more than the fit for health insurance. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.2    7 years ago

Won't affect me either.  But it is sad how our capitalist economy fosters the kind of deregulation that allows food manufacturers to market unhealthy food as being healthy.  It's no better than the history of the tobacco industry.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1.3    7 years ago
But it is sad how our capitalist economy fosters the kind of deregulation that allows food manufacturers to market unhealthy food as being healthy.  It's no better than the history of the tobacco industry.

Well, at least there's one thing we can be thankful for-- and that's that nothing like that happens in a Communist economy. For example Communism under Stalin-- the government always had the best interests of the workers at heart. (Which is why the Soviet Union was such a veritable paradise on earth).

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Krishna @5.1.4    7 years ago

There are capitalist economies with sensible regulatory policies in this respect.  Ours is not.  Communism has nothing to do with anything about my comment.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2  Freefaller  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    7 years ago

Lol that was my initial thought as well.  However although not stated in the article I'm certain there's some sort of interrupt command you can use to change your normal order.

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
5.3  Rex Block  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5    7 years ago

No, you can change your order, because it has "the automatic reject feature"

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
6  Willjay9    7 years ago

Hey! They got their tax cuts!.....this aint suppose to happen!..../s

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

I guess one advantage is that the robot won't spit on your hamburger.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    7 years ago

Buzz, I don't know about that, have you ever watched "Futurama"?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1    7 years ago

No. Is it a TV program or movie shown in the past decade?  I did see a movie about a rogue robot recently but can't remember the name.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.1    7 years ago

It's a cartoon series on SyFy now that is about some guy that gets transported to the future were robots serve men and, have bad attitudes, the one that is featured most is named "Bender" and, he's about as rude as any human and, he can spit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1.2    7 years ago

I guess it's not shown where I am.  I was just thinking as well that they wouldn't piss into your Pepsi.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1.3    7 years ago

LOL

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
8.1.5  Old Hermit  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @8.1.4    7 years ago

2431e763c21ee5518847dedd169ab5181f7fdc98b551a114adbb5b893ac0fa5b_large.jpeg

tenor.gif

200w1.gif

2002.gif

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    7 years ago

it might leak oil on your french fries :)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @8.2    7 years ago

Well, they're fried in oil anyway, aren't they? LOL

Krishna
Professor Expert
9  Krishna    7 years ago

A burger chain that uses robots to flip burgers is replacing cashiers with machines that know your order by analyzing your face.

They weren't the first to use facial recognition:

Face ID on the iPhone X: Everything you need to know about Apple’s facial recognition

Apple introduced Face ID with the iPhone X, a new way to secure the phone.  

he  iPhone X  uses Face ID, technology that unlocks the phone by using infrared and visible light scans to uniquely identify your face. It works in a variety of conditions and is extremely secure.

This brings up a lot of questions about Face ID, which is why we have this Face ID FAQ.

(Link)