╌>

How far back can you remember something that affected you personally?

Category:  Other

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  7 years ago  •  71 comments

memorylane.jpg
You can click this link to help you think back to your childhood:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av5733807/?from=search&seid=14959413753943980635

I recall that in a psychology class at university we were told that we remember pleasant things more than traumatic ones because our minds work hard to try to cover up the unhappy things we experience. I don't believe it. The things I remember most from my childhood are things that upset or hurt me or things I did that were really bad. In fact I can remember as far back as when I was 2 or 3 years old, and that's damn near 4 score years ago.

When I was one year old my parents bought their first home. We lived in it for about 17 years before moving elsewhere. Here is a photo of that first home. It had a big maple tree in front of it.

Glen Road.jpg

What I remember was something my parents did with me when I was somewhere between the ages of 2 and 3 that some may think was cruel but as I think about it now I realize that they were concerned about my being safe, as well as being outside in the fresh air (remember that this was before people were concerned about pollution) at the same time as not wanting me to get bored. They put a harness on me, and tied me with a leash to the Maple tree in front of the house, only long enough so that I could go no farther than the limits of the lawn and driveway. Had they put me in the fenced back yard I might have been bored, but in front of the house I could watch people and cars going by - a little action to keep me occupied, in other words. I still remember that experience, and although I don't remember exactly how I felt about it at the time I'm going to assume that being tied to a leash like a dog was not something that a young child might appreciate.

I suppose that the younger you are, the more likely it is that you will remember something from when you were very young, but although we old farts may not remember where we put down our glasses ten minutes ago, we can still remember a lot from when we were kids. I can remember lots of things from when I was 4 or 5 years old and I'm sure everyone can. But now let's try to go back further. What was your age when something in which you were involved in some way is still an experience you can remember? And what was that experience?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    7 years ago

So what's YOUR memory, and how old were you when that event occurred?  Approximately (you don't have to be precise with that) how many years ago was that?

Dulay
Professor Guide
2  Dulay    7 years ago

I remember sitting in the dining room of our baby sitter's house trying to get my baby sister to pee in her tinny potty. I used every bribe I could think of. I must have been about 4. 

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
3  Raven Wing    7 years ago

I remember running across the wood floor to say good-bye to my Father who was leaving for work. I fell flat on my stomach with nothing but a pair of panties on, and my stomach and palms were bright red. It hurt really bad and I tried not to cry, as I didn't want my Father to be worried before he went to work. After he left I cried. I had just had my 3rd Birthday the day before.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4  Dean Moriarty    7 years ago

I remember the 1967 riots in Detroit. I was only three at the time. I remember playing in the sandbox and my mother making me come in the house because the violence was spreading. I remember her listening to the news reports of the violence on the radio and talking to my grandmother on the telephone about the situation. I can’t recall anything prior to that. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Well, looks like there are probably a lot of NT members who don't want to tell anyone what their earliest memories are. Are they ashamed?  Or perhaps just too single-minded about politics and religion (or is that being "double"-minded).  So what was it?  Did you shit your pants/panties?  Did you do something horrible?  Come on, confess.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    6 years ago

My earliest memory is waiting at the edge of the table for my mother to finish making the chocolate pudding. I was probably 4 or 5 years old.   I don't believe many people can remember anything prior to the age of 4 or 5. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @6    6 years ago

I have one earlier than that and, my brother has a picture of it in his collection. He had gotten a new camera, by the way I have to say he is 16 years older than me, that's what happens when a war breaks out and, the father goes over seas to fight in it, anyway, the camera had an extra flash for it and, I wanted to get a picture of him since he was going over seas, he had just completed basic at Lakeland AFB and, was home on leave, I took the flash out of the case it was in and, held it up to try to get the picture, he snapped a picture of me at the same time. I remember it because I got made that mine didn't work the way his did and, I had a mad cry over it, I think I was two then.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.2    6 years ago

Would you have looked at that photo when you were older?  That would have triggered the memory which otherwise might well have been forgotten.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @6.2    6 years ago

Would you have looked at that photo when you were older?  That would have triggered the memory which otherwise might well have been forgotten.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7  magnoliaave    6 years ago

My earliest memory is at age 3.  Standing at the window with the breeze blowing.  Also, running across the floor and tripping causing a cut to my nose.  Going to the hospital and a clamp put on it.

My most traumatic experience was at age 7. We had to move to the city so Daddy could find work.  It meant leaving our home in Bogalusa and living with my uncle and his family.  4 rooms. 4 adults, 7 children.  It was a double shotgun house and the owner lived next door.  One day my precious sister and I are playing out front when the owner's children started taunting us.  At one point, we were told we were poor white trash.  I have never been so hurt in all my life.  I promised myself that it would never happen, again.  And, it never has.

My sister and i learned all the niceties of life and conducted ourselves, accordingly. We didn't have a pot to pee in, but no one knew that but us.

So, thank you, urchins.  I have travelled the world, lived in two countries, two degrees, married a great man and have two wonderful sons.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @7    6 years ago

Wow, Scarlett O'Hara much?

As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again! Scarlett O'Hara

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1    6 years ago

I know.  Sounds like that doesn't it?

It isn't a lie.  That is what happened.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.3  pat wilson  replied to    6 years ago

It's actually "nattering nabobs of negativity".

(not to be a nattering nabob of negativity)

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.4  magnoliaave  replied to    6 years ago

That person is always on my behind, so, doesn't matter.

I could say it was 12 noon and they would say 12 midnight even If we lived in the same town.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  magnoliaave @7.1.4    6 years ago

woosh !

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @7.1.1    6 years ago

I think it shows strength of character, I'm glad you made it.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @7.1.4    6 years ago

Only on certain things Mags, what I said was actually meant as a sideways compliment.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.8  magnoliaave  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.5    6 years ago

what is your darn whoooooooooooosh?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.9  magnoliaave  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.6    6 years ago

sure, you did.

But, that is what happened.  You didn't live it.  I did.  And, it wasn't easy.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.10  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @7.1.1    6 years ago

Scarlett might have been a "handful" but, she had a sense of strength that makes her an icon for women today, IMO, she didn't let anything stand in her way and, she had the guts to pull herself up by her bootstraps even in that period of time, she wasn't going to depend on anyone else but, herself to get what she wanted and, nothing or, anyone was going to stop her.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  magnoliaave @7.1.9    6 years ago

I always told my kids, don't expect life to hand you a darn thing, you will have to fight for everything you want. I tried to instill in them the spirit to fight for what they wanted and, I think I did a good job, they have good lives and, like you, they don't settle for anything, they fight to make things better everyday, they're good people.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.12  pat wilson  replied to  magnoliaave @7.1.8    6 years ago

I was making a joke about "nattering nabobs" I think that term is funny. I wasn't trying to offend Muva.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.13  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.3    6 years ago

LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.14  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.10    6 years ago

Don't forget that she lived a privileged life, growing up in an antebellum mansion on her father's plantation that used slaves. She didn't drag herself up from being poor, but she was at least steadfast notwithstanding disappointment that she herself had caused.

Scarlett's last words in the movie were: "Tara! Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all... tomorrow is another day."

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.15  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.14    6 years ago
Scarlett's last words in the movie were: "Tara! Home. I'll go home. And I'll think of some way to get him back. After all... tomorrow is another day."

Yep, today she would have been called a stalker, poor Rhett.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1.16  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @7.1.15    6 years ago

Lucky Ashley.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.17  cjcold  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.3    6 years ago

The only thing Spiro Agnew will ever be remembered for.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
7.1.18  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.1.16    6 years ago

She only messed with him to upset a rival, after that she didn't want anything to do with him.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  magnoliaave @7    6 years ago

It's a really satisfying feeling to be able to have reversed the bad descriptions and predictions that people may have made about you.  Although this experience was from when I was in high school, it makes that point.  In grade 11 (3rd year of high school) I flunked Latin. Mr. Cooper, my Latin teacher, told me that I might as well quit school because I'll never succeed at anything.  Later in my life I revisited the high school and he was still there, so I reminded him of what he had said and told him that I now had two university degrees and was a practising lawyer. So with the ultimate put-down he told me that had he not said that back then I probably would not have had the ambition and incentive to accomplish that.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
9  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Freind Buzz: The earliest memory I have is when I went to Services for the first time.

I wore a suit with a tie that made the starchy white collar rub against my neck.

The pants were from hot itchy wool.

The Congregation was an old building.

No air conditioning.

It was a hot steamy early August day.

I could not have been more physically uncomfortable.

Out of respect to other attendees, I sat in the last row.

An elderly gentleman looked at me.

He said, thank you for sitting next to me.

I am glad you are my new friend.

His kindness made all the discomfort disappear in the blink of an eye.

I never forgot how much he made me feel welcomed and at home there.

To this day, I always make it a point where ever I go to insure any and all feel welcomed, valued, and appreciated.

I never knew him, his name or saw him again.

The memory of what he did fort a small child he never met is a lesson that endure all my days.

There is no statute of limitations of application of an act of compassion and kindness.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always to Each and All of Us.

Enoch.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Enoch @9    6 years ago

Thank you, Enoch, for not only telling the story of your first memory, but also how the experience guided you throughout your life.  It was a lesson for all of us to follow.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     6 years ago

My first memory is swimming, it was warm, than all of a sudden I was in cold air and some one slapping me...It was horrible, but I slapped him back....All's fair in birth situation. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @10    6 years ago

LOL. Now THAT'S almost the earliest memory anyone can have. However, I have read that music can affect the fetus in a pregnant woman, and if anyone can remember that happening, you will lose "First Place" in this discussion.

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1    6 years ago

I forgot to mention that I was playing the drums at the time, mom can verify that....winking

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @10.1.1    6 years ago

You should know when you embellish the truth to that extent you lose credibility.  Remembering born is one thing, but playing the drums at the time?  Come on!!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1.2    6 years ago

It was a midewiwin water drum, Buzz....So that actually confirms the truth of my drum playing....

I do not speak with forked tongue, usually.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
11  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

My earliest memory is laying in my crib, crying because I had a pain in my mouth and ear. I remember hitting a toy that was on the side of my crib. I remember my mom coming in and trying to sooth me and putting something on my gums. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11    6 years ago

Approximately how old were you then?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1    6 years ago

My mom said about a year old. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.1.1    6 years ago

You're the winner so far - earlier than anyone.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
11.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1.2    6 years ago

Not sure how old I was but I was an infant and remember mom laying me down on the glass of a glass bottom boat at Catalina. Was scared at first but then became fascinated and made happy baby noises. This episode was likely the birth of my life-long fascination with aquariums and diving. No other solid memories until I was 3 or so on a camping trip with my folks in Colorado. The whole forest smelled like Christmas trees. Probably the beginning of my life-long enjoyment of camping.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @11.1.3    6 years ago

I love the smell of walking through a grove of cedars, especially in winter when the only other thing you can smell occasionally is a bit of wood smoke from a distant farmhouse.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
12  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

BTW Buzz,

My sister bought her first house from a lady who was a rocket scientist for NASA, whose name was.....

Memory Lane. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12    6 years ago

Parents are cruel when they do that.  What just went through my head was an example - if the family name was "Dazzle" they would call their kid "Razzle".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
12.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12.1    6 years ago

Well.. sometimes it can happen by accident. 

Take when my girls were born. I liked way more names than Matt did. We also had a list of dead family members to name after (ugh). So, we finally came down with Abigail and Gabriel, which we both agreed with.... then a few weeks later when talking about nicknames.. we realized they would be Abby and Gabby. How horrible? So we went with Madeline and Catherine instead. Their friends would call them the "in" girls. Well, can't think of everything and not the worst. 

Matt's best friend had a similar situation naming his daughter. They were going to name her Allison, after the song by Elvis Costello. Seems fine and suddenly, they realized the nickname would be Allie, which is fine, if your last name wasn't Khazzam. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1.1    6 years ago

LOL. My name was originally going to be Selig, after a deceased Russian relative of my father. I'm glad they didn't stick with it (especially after seeing the Woody Allen movie). You know what they actually named me, which is not too far off it.

I once had a girl friend whose name was Madeline, but everyone called her Maddie.  In fact, now that I think back about it, my first girl friend when we were 13 years old, was Abigail, who was known as Abbie. She had a older male cousin named Aubrey (with the family name) and he too was called Abbie, but pronounced Awe-by.  But then, what's in a name? (Where have I heard that before?)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
12.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12.1.2    6 years ago

Yep, I could have used a different name when I was in the second grade, about that time they came out with a toy dog that walked when you pulled his leash, they called him Gaylord. Imagine being a kid named Galen and, this commercial hits the TV.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
12.1.4  Dowser  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @12.1.3    6 years ago

I always thought that Galen was a doctor in Rome, and left his legacy in books written about the treatment of diseases...  I mean, I always had positive connotations about the name...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
12.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dowser @12.1.4    6 years ago

Actually, he was Greek but, I get the same thing, I was named for an uncle but, he was named for the doctor. I was happy with the name until they made Gaylord, then i wanted to be named Michael.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
12.1.6  Dowser  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @12.1.5    6 years ago

I was happy with the name Marsha, until the local weather girl got famous.  She was Marcia Yockey, so I became Marsha Yuckie....  How nice!  Kids can be mean, that's for sure!  winking

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
12.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dowser @12.1.6    6 years ago

Yep they can, I'm glad the toy only lasted one year.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
12.1.8  Dowser  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @12.1.7    6 years ago

Lucky you!  Marcia Yockey retired and died about 10 years ago, I believe...  Seems like I heard that most of my life...  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
12.1.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dowser @12.1.8    6 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that, kids can be cruel but, when adults act like kids it only shows their intelligence or, lack there of. Just remember, your better than that.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
12.1.10  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @12.1.5    6 years ago

But then The Godfather was named "Michael" (Corleone).

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
12.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @12.1.10    6 years ago

Yes and, when I wanted to change my name, the book wasn't even a thought. Second grade for me was before Kennedy was elected.

Another Fine Mess
Freshman Silent
13  Another Fine Mess    6 years ago

I have a few, I'm not sure what order they fall in, and as I'm the oldest living member of my direct family there is no one to ask, so in no special order

1) A nightmare about being lost in the desert, and someone had taken my water. I remember waking up in the landing of my parents house, I can still remember the thirst from my dream. Later it emerged in conversation that I'd watched Ice Cold in Alice.

2) A nightmare about Red Indians climbing over the back wall of my parents garden. Again there is a rational reason, a social club opened on the other side of the wall, many of it members were Indian. I must have heard my parents complaining about the noise.

3) A nightmare about an indistinct figure with a large knife emerging from the cupboard in my bedroom. When I ran out onto the landing, it stepped out from the side room at the bottom of the stairs. When I ran back into my bedroom, it emerged from the cupboard again. 

Given the location I would have been between 2.5 and 3.5 years old.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
14  Dowser    6 years ago

One of my earliest memories is of the ears of our dog, a cocker spaniel named Pepper, who was killed when I was about 9 months old...  I loved Pepper, as much as any 9 month old could love something...

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
15  Explorerdog    6 years ago

I had a brother that remembered things accurately from infancy, I hardly remember high school!

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
15.1  arkpdx  replied to  Explorerdog @15    6 years ago

I dont remember what I had for breakfast this morning!😋😜😁

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  arkpdx @15.1    6 years ago

I don't remember where I put my glasses 10 minutes ago.