╌>

Dog/Cat What do you prefer and why.

Category:  Other

By:  kathleen  •  6 years ago  •  261 comments

Dog/Cat What do you prefer and why.

Lets see what we all prefer as a pet, a dog or a cat.

Both make wonderful pets, some have one or the other and some have both. If you had to make only one choice, what would it be and why?

I like both, but I would pick a cat. 

The reasons are, I think they are funny, cute, easy to take care of, it's easy to travel and they take care of themselves.

Now, I did not pick a dog, but what I miss is when you come home, they are waiting for you wagging their tail.

So what is your pick? 

Please, no politics, religion or race and be polite. I do not want to babysit.  Thank you.  : )

I think I will take a vote on it later to see which one gets the most likes..

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I have a real cool dog. He is a corgi mix (part Australian cattle dog) .  I couldn't count the number of times people have come up to me on the street and and told me how cool my dog is.  That wouldn't happen with a cat. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @2    6 years ago

Tell that to Grumpy Cat.  Grumpy Cat is way richer than your dog.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    6 years ago

Although I like both, cats are cooler...

Here's my Wally... totally cool.... 

Wally plays fetch, loves us to death, waits for us at the front door and even talks to us. He loves everyone! Comes over to say hi. And he is a total mush and lover. 

btw.. Grumpy cat is the same breed as Wally, but he has dwarfism. The breed is called a snowshoe. 

Screen Shot 20180126 at 12.56.21 PM.png

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1.2  GaJenn78  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    6 years ago

He's beautiful!!! He is a biiiiiiig kitteh!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    6 years ago

He's so pretty!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1.2    6 years ago

Yes! He is a big Kittah. He is a pretty boy, but better than that, he is so devoted to us. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.3    6 years ago

Thanks Trout!! (he doesn't know it.. )

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.1    6 years ago

Why is his head so tiny?  I fixed that for him:

2D139E99C9134FDC8B745AA51439F72E.png

DB90EEB9A2DF4955B5EF72384ACF8F1B.jpeg

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.6    6 years ago

LMAO... because he likes his kibble too much and he knows how to get it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
2.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.6    6 years ago

Hal, 

His head actually looks like pic number 2. Good eye for anatomy. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
2.2  TTGA  replied to  JohnRussell @2    6 years ago
He is a corgi mix (part Australian cattle dog) .

And they even kill mice.  My neighbor had a Corgi and she used to kill all the ground squirrels she could find and line them up on his porch.  He told me that it made coming home at night into an adventure.  A couple of years ago Kavika posted an article in his dog group with a video showing Corgis working a herd of cattle.  Very cool watching a couple of total experts doing their jobs.  He may know where to find the video again.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @2    6 years ago

Dugan, 13 years old

dugan2.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Dogs for sure. 

I have two now, a mini Doxie and a mutt that was a rescue...Love them both. 

Great fishing partners, guard dogs, (Wiki just makes a lot of noise, it's Annie that you have to watch out for)...great companions and loyal.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

Did you ever have a cat, Kavika?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1    6 years ago

Nope, only the one that Wiki found in the driveway, he was around a week old and we nursed him until be was old enough to be adopted.. He's now living in a great home in Texas.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    6 years ago

I have two of both !

Had 3 of each, But..... crying

Cats are neat when they decide it's time for you to give them lovin' patience ....

...BUT...

...dogs are just too cool. They want the luvya moments.... ALL the time...no decision required.  thumbs up

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Cats, for all the same reasons you mentioned.  I like having a dog, but it can be a bit of a pain, figuring out what to do with him when I travel.  He doesn't travel well, and I don't always go places where I can have him along with me, anyway.  With my cat, leave him with plenty of food and water (he's an indoor/outdoor kitty), and he's fine.

My cat is really affectionate, too, but doesn't need the constant attention my dog demands.

And he doesn't run around the yard barking his head off when he's outside in the middle of the night, and is actually supposed to be peeing instead of barking.

Of course, the dog doesn't do "happy paws" on my face when I'm trying to sleep.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5    6 years ago
but doesn't need the constant attention my dog demands.

unless you're trying to read or type on the computer

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
7  GaJenn78    6 years ago

I have both. 2 cats, one is really blah and the other one is goofy as hell and weird. He cracks us all up. We also have a big hairy beast of a Golden Retriever, he's a sweet boy and getting up there in age. I don't think I could choose between them but I love my goofy kitty snuggling up with me at night. Toby the hairy beast is a little too big for that even though he thinks he's a lap dog LOL. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8  Sunshine    6 years ago

I have had both dogs and cats.  I loved them all like family.  Dogs need more attention and care...like baths and vet visits, walking, cleaning up their yard messes...lol.  But they act like two year olds so you can't help but love em.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

I've had both and while I'm currently dog free I would always take a beagle puppy.

This morning I would have cheerfully strangled my male cat because he woke me up at 2 AM and wouldn't let me go back to sleep. Pay back is a bitch, Stubby my boy!

My female cat, Tasha, is very sweet tho a little dim

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
11  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

I have both, and the dog is a better companion, but at least I can leave the cats at home for a couple days without having to deal with finding a cat sitter.  The dog has been so spoiled by table scraps that he just sits there and stares at each bite that goes into my mouth, drooling on my pant leg.  That's starting to piss me off, but I can't even eat around one of my cats because he will bat the food right off my fork before I can get it into my mouth.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @11    6 years ago

One thing I'll say for my dog - he doesn't drool.

I used to have a cat that would drool when he purred.  He was a happy cat, so he drooled a lot.  Often on my pillows.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.2    6 years ago

I have a drooler. TAsha drools when you pet her and she starts purring

devangelical
Professor Principal
11.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.2.1    6 years ago

Rita, the feral bitch-kitty I have semi-domesticated, swats at me unless I have one of her brushes in my hand.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
11.2.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  devangelical @11.2.2    6 years ago

LMAO... bitchy, drooly cats.. too funny. 

Image result for cat drooling

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
12  Capt. Cave Man    6 years ago

Cats certainly are a lot easier.

But dogs are much more personal.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
12.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Capt. Cave Man @12    6 years ago

Depends on the cat... some are very social. I find that neutered males are the best. 

Dogs are pack animals so by nature they are social. 

Capt. Cave Man
Freshman Silent
12.1.1  Capt. Cave Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @12.1    6 years ago

My current brood... Both rescues of course.

Image may contain: people sitting, plant, dog, tree and outdoor

lady in black
Professor Quiet
13  lady in black    6 years ago

Dog, just like them better than cats, not that I have anything against cats..that is my dog in my profile picture.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
13.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lady in black @13    6 years ago

Awww... he's a cutie. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

My masters:

Tasha.jpg

Stubby.jpg

devangelical
Professor Principal
16.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @16    6 years ago

I can tell by looking at his face that the gray cat thinks you are subordinate to him in your family pack and has successfully completed your training regimen. In, out, dinner, clean litter box, 24/7/365. Lucky that he stills finds you somewhat useful.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @16.1    6 years ago

She. Tasha is a she. She would be very offended that you think she is a male. LOL!

She thinks male cats are jerks and Stubby does everything he can to prove that every day

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
16.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Trout Giggles @16    6 years ago

TG - you’ve got nice taste in bedroom furniture.  Here’s a pic from my bedroom:  (I bet I know where you hide your valuables ;) )

EFB00EA90B474E94BE8B3E544B8740BB.jpeg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @16.2    6 years ago

LOL! That's Mr Giggle hidey hole. I never have anything to hide.

I like this bed but it's a toe buster

lady in black
Professor Quiet
17  lady in black    6 years ago

IMG_1112 2.JPG

This is Shadow and he had just been groomed.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
17.1  Sunshine  replied to  lady in black @17    6 years ago

awe...he is adorable.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
17.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @17    6 years ago

He's cute. I like fluffy little dogs best, but I'll take a free beagle puppe

lady in black
Professor Quiet
17.2.1  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @17.2    6 years ago

He is a Coton De Tulear and I had to travel 4.5 hours one way to get him.  The closet breeder to me was in State College Pennsylvania.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
17.2.3  lady in black  replied to    6 years ago

They part of the Bijon family.  They are a popular breed but there are not many breeders as they do not want them over bred.  

The first time I learned of this breed was 7 years ago when my late husband and I were watching Animal Planet's Too Cute and they featured the breed.  

TTGA
Professor Silent
17.2.4  TTGA  replied to  lady in black @17.2.3    6 years ago
They part of the Bijon family.

Ah Ha!!!  I thought so.  When I saw the picture, I told myself that he was a Bijon; he looks just like Stuart.

2017610 Stuart2.JPG

Unfortunately, Stuart (named after the mouse) is now 18 years old and doesn't get around as well as he used to.  He can't handle the porch steps any more and has to be carried up and down.  He still dances around, though, when it's time for his daily ice cream.

Last summer, we got him a canine companion named Bryzzo (my daughter is a big Chicago Cubs fan and named him after Bryant and Rizzo, the two guys who made the winning play in the World Series in 2016).

201772   Bryzzo 3.JPG

I keep telling them that, if they give me any trouble, they could easily be turned into rugs.  Unfortunately, Stuart only speaks French and Bryzzo only speaks German (as a Schnauzer should).

The cat speaks English but simply refuses to pay attention.

2015Purry the Cat1.JPG

All she cares about is a regular supply of kitty treats and my grandson makes sure she gets them.

I like them all but Stuart has seniority.

charger 383
Professor Silent
18  charger 383    6 years ago

I like Dogs better.  I have had Dobermans for over 30 years, Athena and Boreguards IV are the current loyal and happy protectors of the house

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
19  Freefaller    6 years ago

I love dogs but if I have to make a choice it would be cats.  I don't have any at the moment as Tinker, short for Tinkerbell (my daughter named her) just passed at the age of 23.  She would meet me at the door everyday, climb up me to her normal greeting place on my shoulder (yes that's as painful as it sounds), play fetch (she was terrible at the return portion of the game), and every now and then leave me the head of a dead mouse on my pillow just to let me know I was appreciated.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @19    6 years ago

I also had a Tinkerbell who brought me "gifts".  Sometimes, they weren't quite finished wriggling yet, and I'd have to finish them off.  It was odd that she was such a good huntress, because she had to have her tail amputated, and it apparently threw off her balance terribly.  My dad almost fell over the first time he saw her run.  But she could catch anything - even brought home a flying squirrel once.  If she hadn't been spayed, she'd have had the fattest kittens ever.

She was a licker, too.  She'd lick my hand until it was raw, then start licking the sofa curtains.

She'd have had very fat, very clean kittens.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
19.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @19.1    6 years ago
She'd lick my hand until it was raw

Lol Tinker was an attacker, god forbid you would leave a finger hanging over the edge of anything as it was something to be killed to her. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @19.1.1    6 years ago

My Tink was really gentle, unless you happened to be a mouse, baby bird (why always babies?), or flying squirrel.  It was like she was born to be a mama cat, and she vented her frustrated maternal instincts on her humans by bathing and trying to feed them.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
20  Spikegary    6 years ago

Personally, I like Dogs, though my lifestyle (I travel a lot) cats would make more sense.  My dog, Rain is an American Bully and one of the most loving animals I've ever known.....when she's awake.

I've had cats and they are pretty cool, but not always.......companions.......my lady friend has 2 cats (and her daughter, away at college has 4 cats).  The run the gambit from friendly to skittish, though all of them seem to like me........

Rain.jpg

Rain in her natural state.

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
21  Raven Wing    6 years ago

I have had a variety of animals in my life, and both cats and dogs were always part of our family. At this point in my life I now only have a cat, She is an Egyptian Mau (Mau is Egyptian for cat). She is my comfort and companion, and is kind enough to allow me to share her home. (grin)

Her name is Yoda Girl, as when she was a small kitten her ears were always out to the side like Yoda in Star Wars. She has both stripes and spots, a large white bib and a ringed tail. 

Here is a picture of her when she was a kitten;

Yoda napping on slider.png

And now: She loves sitting on my desk and helping me work (ahem)

Yoda Now.JPG

AmericaRepublic
Freshman Quiet
22  AmericaRepublic    6 years ago

Honestly I grew up around cats when I was younger, although I don’t mind them, kind of tired of them.  I’d prefer a dog but I like mine to be kennel trained etc... not a big one I had my share of Alaskan huskies, gorgeous animals but rowdy as hell lol

AR

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
22.2  Spikegary  replied to  AmericaRepublic @22    6 years ago

I had this little beauty in my life for a bit over 7 years until she was claimed by cancer.........for her size, she was the gentlest of dogs and I miss her everyday.....her name is Ryelee.

002.JPG

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
22.2.2  Spikegary  replied to  Kathleen @22.2.1    6 years ago

Irish Wolfhound.....she was around 150 pounds and her head was up around my rib cage.......a gentle giant.  I miss her every day.  She was my dog.  I was her human.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
23  Transyferous Rex    6 years ago

If I had to pick one and one only, I'd take a cat. I like the independent nature. My wife hates cats, so we are not cat owners. Fortunately for me, my neighbors' cat thinks that we are his. So, I still get my feline fill. 

OldUSAFGuy
Freshman Silent
25  OldUSAFGuy    6 years ago

A Cat inside and 500 lbs + Pig outside,

Kavika
Professor Principal
26  Kavika     6 years ago

Hi, I'm Wiki Warrior Wonder Wiener...I'm really nice but don't push you luck, I've been know to be a real bad ass. 

IMG_0799.JPG

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
26.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @26    6 years ago

What a face! I could nuzzle that face all day long

MrFrost
Professor Guide
26.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @26.1    6 years ago
What a face! I could nuzzle that face all day long

I look just like that dog....just sayin...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
26.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @26.1.1    6 years ago

You must be very handsome.

Kavika
Professor Principal
29  Kavika     6 years ago

Hi, Wiki here again. This is me and my guard dog, Annie. I'm a solid 13 lbs but Annie is a solid 35 and a real tough dog...

I tried to train her to stay off the furniture but she insists that she can guard me better by being right next to me...Some dogs, ya know. IMG_0447.JPG

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
29.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @29    6 years ago

Every Wiki needs an Annie

Rex Block
Freshman Silent
30  Rex Block    6 years ago

Lots of fun pet stuff on YouTube. Dogs can be so entertaining and fun to watch.

zuksam
Junior Silent
31  zuksam    6 years ago

I like both and I've had cats and dogs but right now i only have a cat. I prefer dogs but I live alone and I can't always make it home to let a dog out so I got a cat. My cat is almost like a dog he hears me pull up and meets me at the door and he likes to be with me and he likes to fight (I have to trim his front claws). I've thought of getting another cat to keep him company but I'm afraid if he had one of his own kind he'd ignore me so I haven't. I like my cat but now I couldn't get a Dog because my cat hates dogs.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
31.2  Freefaller  replied to  zuksam @31    6 years ago
he likes to fight (I have to trim his front claws).

Lol I learned to get a leather before fighting mine

MrFrost
Professor Guide
32  MrFrost    6 years ago

I used to have dogs. Had a pug and a basset hound.... The basset hound was.....well, she was cute as hell, but dumber than a box of rocks. Now I have cats. Squeaker, Kit-Kat and Amy Kitten, (even though she is 11 years old, it's what we called her when she was still a kitten and it stuck). 

Kit-Kat is a very svelte 22 pounds and the youngest at 4 years old. Good cat, kills everything he sees. I half expect one day I will see a deer running across the lawn with Kit-Kat hanging from it's neck. Squeaker is 13, slowing down a little but a good mouser. I have a tat on my leg of the first cat I owned. Samantha. Really good cat, I miss her every day. I know people don't usually like hearing stories about other people's pets, (it's like looking at pictures of your friends kids...), so I will share a short one in the interests of brevity. 

I got Samantha at the fair. She was in the animal shelter and they had a booth. She was completely black, green eyes. Beautiful cat, even if she had a few extra pounds. Anyway. I had a cat tower that she would sit on and look out the window. Next to it is the wood stove. I had a blazing hot fire going in the wood stove and Samantha jumped on it. She didn't know any better. Well, she got off the stove pretty quickly and went to hide. I picked her up and the pads of her feet were blistered.....as were her....nipples. Like I said, she was a big gal.. I took her to the vet, they said she would be fine and to just make sure her feet didn't get infected. About a month later, she was fine. Like I said, she was a really good cat, and I miss her. 

MrFrost
Professor Guide
33  MrFrost    6 years ago

I had a Shar-Pei many years ago, pure bred. Had a purple tongue which was odd. Lots of wrinkles, brown, about 50 pounds. He was fiercely loyal and protective. Not the sharpest of dogs but he loved kids. I could never figure out why he would attack adults coming into the yard, but never kids then it dawned on me. With his wrinkles, he couldn't see faces over about 3 feet off the ground. He loved kids because he could see their faces...adults, not so much. 

epistte
Junior Guide
34  epistte    6 years ago

I have a large tuxedo male named Holstein. He had 2 brothers, a ginger and white cat with the same tuxedo pattern was Peabody and an all ginger male named Reese. Reese died of mouth cancer in 2013 and Peabody died a few months ago of renal failure. 

There are 5-6 fixed strays that come to my house for food and water on a daily basis and I am slowly finding them permanent homes.  I am the neighborhood cat whisperer.

I've always liked cats because they are more independent than dogs. We had a seal point Siamese as kids and she had a full blooded German Shepard terrified of her.   That dog would peek around the corner before she walked in any room because of that purring ninja. Most people were terrified of the dog but the dog ran howling away at the sight of the cat.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
35  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago

Dog without a doubt.  

When you've had a long hard day at work, a dog will be waiting at the door waiting for you happy to see you.  Suddenly, that long hard day is forgotten.  

Even after a 9 - 15 month deployment a cat won't greet you like this:

Kavika
Professor Principal
35.2  Kavika   replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @35    6 years ago

Outstanding

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
35.2.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Kavika @35.2    6 years ago

To me there is nothing better than the unabashed excited way a dog reacts when they see their family.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
36  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

faa_havanese1.jpg

Gracie … Our Rescued Girl

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
37  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

An almost impossible choice.  First of all, I had a domestic shorthair tuxedo cat who was my buddy for 17 years, given to me as a just-weaned kitten by Gale Garnett, who wrote the song "We'll Sing In The Sunshine, and then I had a Soft-Coated Wheaton Terrier for 17 years that was the runt of a litter. Both were amazing pets, but I have to admit that if I could only get one of them back, it would be the cat. Even though I was in my early 40s, I cried like a baby when he died.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
38  sandy-2021492    6 years ago
(deleted)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
38.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @38    6 years ago

Well, don't know what happened there.  Pic quality wasn't that bad before I posted it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
39  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Image may contain: cat, dog and indoor

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
39.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @39    6 years ago

And today, Casey and I made friends with a little whitetail buck on our walk.  He sniffed noses with Casey (once I got Casey to stop barking), let me pet him, and even followed us part of the way home.

Image may contain: outdoor

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
40  lennylynx    6 years ago

Cat person, definitely.  Cats are cool.  They're independent, predatory, and proud.  They are clean, easy to care for, and don't hang off you, groveling, like a smelly, slobbering mutt does.  People who lean dog want their pet to bow down to them and instantly obey their every command.  Cat people appreciate their pet's independence, because they are independent themselves, and have no need to be groveled to!

Kavika
Professor Principal
47  Kavika     6 years ago

The original ET...

IMG_0746.JPG

Ender
Professor Principal
49  Ender    6 years ago

Aww, I missed all the fun. Oh well, thought I would post anyway.

I have always liked cats. My last ones were a big male named Bosco. He lived to 18. Also had a completely black cat. Was always very small. Poor thing ended up with a bad urinary tract infection and had a blockage. Took her to the vet yet she never recovered. Was only 13.

Right now I have dogs. One was a rescue from a meth house that was (poorly) breeding dogs. Sort of looks like a cross between a Jack Russell and who knows what. Very skittish. And a large mutt my nephew found on the side of the road.

Miss my cats though.