╌>

How Did The Recently Concluded Black History Month Hurt You ?

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  70 comments

How Did The Recently Concluded Black History Month Hurt You ?

Unburden yourself. 

Stopblaming300x275.jpg

The sign is an expression of "white grievance", as it bitches about the existence of black history month. 

What do white people have to bitch about? 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Stopblaming300x275.jpg

The sign is an expression of "white grievance", as it bitches about the existence of black history month. 

What do white people have to bitch about? 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Oh, this white guy loves to bitch about liberals of any and all races. I rarely give a thought to blacks.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    6 years ago
I rarely give a thought to blacks.

That doesn't surprise me one bit

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.1    6 years ago

Why should I. They don't have legitimate complaints.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.2    6 years ago

stunned

PJ
Masters Quiet
2  PJ    6 years ago

It didn't.  Whew ....I feel better.  winking

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ @2    6 years ago

Well, I don't know. It seems to bother a lot of people. I'm glad to hear you are not one of them. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3  Spikegary    6 years ago

I have a name for it.  February.  I don't need a month of recognition for me and don't care much for the idea.  There are lots of colors of the spectrum, sooner or later you run out of months.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Spikegary @3    6 years ago

For generations , blacks and other minorities were kept out of American history books.  Through events like Black History Month this has been somewhat corrected in the past couple decades. 

If people are not interested in Black History Month, don't pay any attention to it. But why the negative attention from some? 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago

The Irish for decades, even genrations were also in the 'indentured servitude' game, barred form service at stores and restaraunts, etc. and were treated wrong.  We're happy with one day per year.  I think as we continue to play identity politics, we continue to drive wedges between us.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Spikegary @3.1.1    6 years ago

I am Irish too. We don't have the same history and issues that blacks have had through American history. 

But if someone enacted "Irish-American" history month I wouldn't complain about it. It would be important to those who thought it was important. Big deal. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.1.3    6 years ago

off topic only warning

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago
For generations , blacks and other minorities were kept out of American history books

As a group, they haven't accomplished much or tried to improve their situation. Of course, the blame is put on whites.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.5    6 years ago
For generations , blacks and other minorities were kept out of American history books

As a group, they haven't accomplished much or tried to improve their situation. Of course, the blame is put on whites.

I am awestruck at that comment.. on so many levels.. but let's just focus on blacks. 

Blacks first were not "allow" to read, much less go to public school. In fact, up until the end of the Civil War, there were laws on state books forbidding blacks from learning to read. That kind of set them back a bit maybe? The Jim Crow laws gave them sub standard education and that continued till the civil rights period. Oh and for good measure, this also happened to Indians, too. 

As for accomplishments despite this discrimination, let me list some of them for you:

Garrett Morgan, In 1877 inventor of one of the first traffic lights and gas masks
Dr. Daniel Hale Williams: In 1893 performed the first successful open heart surgery.
Lewis Latimer:  Inventor and engineer collaborated with science greats Hiram Maxim and Thomas Edison. invented the carbon filament, improved railroad car bathroom and an early air conditioning unit. 
Thomas L. Jennings: First black to get a patent for dry cleaning
Mark E. Dean: The computer scientist/engineer worked for IBM, where he led the team that designed the ISA bus—the hardware interface that allows multiple devices like printers, modems, and keyboards to be plugged into a computer.
Charles Richard Drew the physician responsible for America’s first major blood banks. Drew attended McGill University College of Medicine in Montreal, where he specialized in surgery. During a post-graduate internship and residency, the young doctor studied transfusion medicine—and later, while studying at Columbia University on fellowship, he refined key methods of collecting, processing, and storing plasma.
Dr. Shirley Jackson is a theoretical physicist who currently serves as president of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York. While working at the former AT&T Bell Laboratories, she helped develop technologies that led to the invention of the portable fax, touch-tone telephone, solar cells, fiber optic cables, and the technology enabling caller ID and call waiting. Jackson was also the first black woman to graduate with a Ph.D. from M.I.T., and the first to be named chair of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
Charles Richard Drew  the physician responsible for America’s first major blood banks. Drew attended McGill University College of Medicine in Montreal, where he specialized in surgery. During a post-graduate internship and residency, the young doctor studied transfusion medicine—and later, while studying at Columbia University on fellowship, he refined key methods of collecting, processing, and storing plasma. Drew is also responsible for introducing the use of “bloodmobiles”—refrigerated trucks that transport blood.Drew is the first African American doctor to be chosen as a member of the American Board of Surgery.
George Carruthers  is an astrophysicist working with the Space Science Division of the Naval Research Laboratory  He’s most famous for creating the ultraviolet camera/spectograph, which NASA used when it launched Apollo 16 in 1972. 
Dr. Patricia Bath revolutionized the field of ophthalmology when she invented a device that refined laser cataract surgery, called the Laserphaco Probe.
Otis Boykin Improved electrical resistor, and a control unit for pacemakers
Katherine G. Johnson: NASA mathematician who figured out how the re-entry path for the Apollo mission
That is the short list of blacks that have contributed to our way of life. This is exactly why we have "Black History Month". It's to combat comments like the one you just made. 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.1.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.6    6 years ago
I am awestruck at that comment.

I'm disgusted by the racism of it. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.5    6 years ago

That is the most bigoted comment I've seen on NT, ever.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.5    6 years ago
'As a group, they haven't accomplished much or tried to improve their situation. Of course, the blame is put on whites.'

vomit

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.10  Greg Jones  replied to  Kavika @3.1.8    6 years ago

I stand by my comment. Look at the difference between the "accomplishment" culture of Asians as compared to the "victimization" culture that blacks have been exploiting to the present day, in spite of all the changes brought about by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. White guilt liberals have kept the myth of racial oppression alive in order to garner the black vote.  There is NO widespread racism today, institutional or otherwise. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.10    6 years ago
Look at the difference between the "accomplishment" culture of Asians as compared to the white "victimization" culture that Trump exploited to win the 2016 election. 

Fixed it. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.1.13  CB  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.10    6 years ago

You keep Asians, and any other marginalized group, out of your mouth! You wish to be informed about "victimization" then first be gravely deprived yourself! Otherwise, deal with the consequences of spitefully using and hatred of others—which is still present today! How dare you try to compare one 'worse' treated group against other! Astounding!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    6 years ago

February was black history month? Lol I never even knew that.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @5    6 years ago

Either did I, but I don't get out much these days.  I don't recall seeing it covered on NT either.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1    6 years ago
I don't recall seeing it covered on NT either.

Me neither, we must have been busy solving other important matters :p

Junior Participates
5.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Freefaller @5    6 years ago
Lol I never even knew that.

That is a surprise to no one.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2    6 years ago

Thank you, I do try to be consistent.

Junior Participates
5.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Freefaller @5.2.1    6 years ago

"foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2.3  Freefaller  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2.2    6 years ago

Cute quote, not relevant but cute

Although I find this exchange humorous I'm wondering how much longer you're gonna play these passive aggressive games before spitting out what your problem with my post actually is?

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7  Rmando    6 years ago

Apparently a lot of white people had a lot to bitch about in 2016. But you just keep on rattling that cage. If you try hard enough I'm sure you can make the Dems even more of a regional party.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Rmando @7    6 years ago

So you are acknowledging that white racial grievance elected Donald Trump. Interesting. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    6 years ago

Poor thing.

Which one was that?

#39 on the "Reasons Hillary Lost List"?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    6 years ago
So you are acknowledging that white racial grievance elected Donald Trump.

Nope...Trump received a sizable percentage of the minority vote. The pitiful hag the Democrats put up is the primary reason Trump was elected. That national percentage has pretty much stayed the same.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7.1.3  Rmando  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    6 years ago

I'm acknowledging that liberals have felt free to say the most racist things about whites (including self loathing ones)  for years and people finally had enough.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Rmando @7.1.3    6 years ago

So white grievance elected Donald Trump, as I said.  At least you are willing to spit it out, unlike these other two. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.2    6 years ago
Trump received a sizable percentage of the minority vote.

Just curious-- what % of the Black vote did Trump actually get?

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.6  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.4    6 years ago
So white grievance elected Donald Trump, as I said

I agree.

But while some of the "grievance vote" was based on feelings about racial issues-- some of it wasn't.

(Especially in previously Democratic "Rust-Belt" states that went for Trump this time around.

(Why?)

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @7.1.2    6 years ago
Nope...Trump received a sizable percentage of the minority vote.

The only 'sizable percentage of a minority' Trump won was white men. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
7.1.8  Rmando  replied to  Dulay @7.1.7    6 years ago

You'd like to believe that Trump won less minority voters than Romney, wouldn't you? Oh, and when you divide people into race AND gender everybody is a minority.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.1.9  Dulay  replied to  Rmando @7.1.8    6 years ago
You'd like to believe that Trump won less minority voters than Romney, wouldn't you?

Why would you think that I want to believe that? 

Oh, and when you divide people into race AND gender everybody is a minority.

Not shit Sherlock...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @7.1.6    6 years ago
previously Democratic "Rust-Belt" states that went for Trump this time around.

I grew up in the Rust Belt (rural Western PA) and I have a pretty good idea why PA went red in November 2016. People there are racist and misogynistic. And dumb enough to believe that trump was going to bring back coal and steel jobs

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.1.11  Dulay  replied to  Krishna @7.1.5    6 years ago

8%. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
8  Krishna    6 years ago

Months don't hurt people-- people hurt people.

(To coin a phrase).

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @8    6 years ago

off-topic, I know, but....Rasputin?