╌>

VIDEO: Protesters say ban assault weapons…whatever they are

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  6 years ago  •  128 comments

VIDEO: Protesters say ban assault weapons…whatever they are

On Saturday, hundreds of thousands of students, parents, and teachers took part in demonstrations calling for legislation to prevent school shootings. 

Deemed the March For Our Lives, attendees in cities around the country voiced their displeasure with politicians, the NRA, and among other things, firearms themselves. 

Much of the legislative talk at the event was centered around the call to ban the sale of “assault weapons” in the United States. The March’s organizers even listed the demand, along with others, on its  website .

Wanting to know what young people at the march thought of the proposed ban, and whether they knew what an “assault weapon” was,  Campus Reform   hit the streets of D.C. to find out. 

Watch the full video  to see what else they had to say about the legislation they were advocating for, and what they think of the 2nd Amendment in general.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Every single march attendee that we spoke with made it clear: they want to ban assault weapons. 

When asked if they knew what an assault weapon was, they were a little less clear. 

“Um, I mean no. But ‘assault weapon,’ does that sound safe to you?” said one attendee. 

“It’s an arm...like a gun for instance that you can buy at a shop pretty easily, that can like cause more deaths than one I guess,” added another. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    6 years ago

change.jpg

Yup - our future leaders - has no idea what country she's in.

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
1.3.1  Willjay9  replied to  1stwarrior @1.3    6 years ago

How is that any different than some claiming patriotism and waving a Confederate flag?!

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.2  Krishna  replied to  Willjay9 @1.3.1    6 years ago
How is that any different than some claiming patriotism and waving a Confederate flag?!

There is a difference.  Cuba is not the U.S.-- its a foreign country.

However the Confederacy was a group of Americans who had committed treason against the U.S. 

confedmonumentcvill.jpg

The Confederacy attacked us-- trying to overthrow the U.S. gov't by force! Which is the very definition of treason. Does anyone else here find it strange that the U.S. is perhaps the only country in the world that erects monuments honoring those who have committed treason against it? 

Willjay9
Freshman Silent
1.3.3  Willjay9  replied to  Krishna @1.3.2    6 years ago

So you agree the hypocrisy is deafening!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.3.4  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @1.3.2    6 years ago

The "French Revolution".....No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened..

The "Russian Revolution".....No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened.

The "Cuban Revolution"......No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened.

The "Iranian Revolution".....No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened.

The "Americas Revolution against Britain".....No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened.

Revolution after Revolution over the History of the Planet, and only in THIS COUNTRY, can a revolution in OUR country be called "Treason".  patience

Most times these days, "Stupid" and Dumb" doesn't cover it !  stunned

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.5  Krishna  replied to  Willjay9 @1.3.3    6 years ago
So you agree the hypocrisy is deafening!

Of course it is.

The Confederacy was basically a movement dedicated to the violent overthrow of the U.S. government. And beyond that-- they axcted on it. That's treason.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.6  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @1.3.4    6 years ago

The "French Revolution".....No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened..

The "Russian Revolution".....No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened.

The "Cuban Revolution"......No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened.

The "Iranian Revolution".....No "Treason" word Brought up in this country. Just History in the books as a "thing" that happened.

Are you really that ignorant of the facts-- are are you trying to con us with your version of fake news? (I'm willing to give you the benefot of the doubt and assume that your bizarre comments were not due malfeasance of any sort-- not do to an attempt tp misleadus-- but rather due merely to ignorance of the facts>

Treason against the U.S., simply stated, is the act of betraying the United States. 

Regardless of what your opinion of the French Revolution may be, the fact is-- it was not an act of treason against the U.S. Ditto your other examples! (OTOH the acts of the Treason by the Confederacy was directed against the U.S.....not some foreign entity)

Are you really that ignorant of the facts? 

DUH!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.3.7  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @1.3.6    6 years ago
Are you really that ignorant of the facts-

When you use the word "Ignorant", you just became irrelevant.

Not one Fucking thing I noted in my post was untrue.

As to the "Civil War", it's another "History" moment, just like the rest of the worlds......"Moments".

"One bright morning...
in the middle of the night....
two dead boys came out to fight.
They stood back to back and faced each other...... 
Drew their swords....and shot each other.
The deaf policeman heard the noise and came to kill those two dead boys.

If u dont believe my story.... its true.

Ask the blind man...... he saw it too! "

- Nicole*

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.8  Krishna  replied to  1stwarrior @1.3    6 years ago
Yup - our future leaders - has no idea what country she's in.

Do you actually bleievieve she has no idea what country she's in?
Or have you "mispoke"-- and was what you were actually meaning to say was that you thouhgt she was a Communist supporter?

Actually I was curious as to why she did it-- is she actaully a Communist?

So I googled it-- herer are the true facts, not the "alternative facts":

FACT CHECK: image of the Parkland school shooting attack survivor attempts to cast her as a "communist" for paying respect to her father's heritage

In another seeming attempt to discredit mass school shooting survivor Emma González, the outspoken teenaged gun control advocate, a widely shared meme fixated on a patch that was sewn on the shoulder of the jacket she wore during her speech at the March for Our Lives really in Washington, D.C., on 24 March 2018.

González was not born in Cuba, but her father is a native-born Cuban who  immigrated  from that island country to New York City in 1968 and now works in the U.S. as an attorney for a cybersecurity company.

González had rejected the notion that she wants to “disarm” every American , stating that “At the end of the day, we don’t want people to have their guns taken away. We just want the people to be more responsible.

We want civilians to have to go through more rolls of red tape to get what they want, because if any of that tape can stop those who shouldn’t own a gun from owning a gun, then our government will have done something right.”

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
1.3.9  livefreeordie  replied to  Krishna @1.3.2    6 years ago

You evidently failed US history. The Confederacy never made any attempt to overthrow the US. The withdrew from the Republic upon which the US attacked them. The Confederacy fought a defensive war.

and less you misinterpret my remarks.   My family all fought for the Union and I have never lived in the South.

im just correcting your falsehood about US history

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.10  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Krishna @1.3.8    6 years ago
FACT CHECK:  Image Of The Parkland School Shooting Attack Survivor Attempts To Cast Her As A "Communist" For Paying Respect To Her Father's Heritage

Interesting that, according to your (left wing) Snopes "fact check", Emma refers to herself as Cuban, not USA American:

I’m 18 years old, Cuban and bisexual.

Perhaps Emma needs more education so she can learn the differences between "heritage" and "nationality".

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.10    6 years ago

I might on occasion refer to myself as Irish even though I am born in the US and am as American as anyone. 

The girl is saying she is Cuban American.   Find another horse to ride into the ground. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.3.12  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @1.3.8    6 years ago
Do you actually bleievieve she has no idea what country she's in?

She is a "PROUD CUBAN" after all. chuckle

Me....." I'm a Proud American", no matter where my "LEGAL" ancestors came from. Big hugs

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.13  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  It Is ME @1.3.12    6 years ago
Me....."I'm a Proud American", no matter where my "LEGAL" ancestors came from.

Ditto. Far too many people think that one's nationality and heritage/ethnicity are the same, and they are not.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.14  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.11    6 years ago
The girl is saying she is Cuban American. 

No. She said she is Cuban. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.3.15  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.13    6 years ago
Far too many people think that one's nationality and heritage/ethnicity are the same, and they are not.

I wonder when the MSM is going to report on those "Blacks", that say they are "American", and Not "African American".

I guess it just doesn't fit the "Liberal" agenda ? 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.16  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  It Is ME @1.3.15    6 years ago
the "Liberal" agenda

Among the best speeches I've ever read is one of Teddy Roosevelt's.

The entire speech can be found here in pdf form , but this post focuses specifically on what he called, “Hyphenated Americans”.

There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.3.17  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.16    6 years ago
There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American.

EXACTLY ! Big hugs

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.3.18  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.16    6 years ago

So being an African-American isn't being American.  And you people wonder why blacks don't much vote for your beloved republiscum.

Junior Participates
1.3.19  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3.10    6 years ago
Perhaps Emma needs more education so she can learn the differences between "heritage" and "nationality".

So, what should we think when your sort keep blathering on about  your "superior European" heritage and how it needs to be preserved as the dominant political force, regardless of its numbers in this country?  

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.3.21  bugsy  replied to  XDm9mm @1.3.20    6 years ago
Are you really that racist at your core or do you practice it?

Yes to both.

Junior Participates
1.3.22  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XDm9mm @1.3.20    6 years ago
Are you really that racist at your core or do you practice it?

So, it appears you're completely unaware of Columbus Day, St. Patrick's Day and Oktoberfest as well as a myriad of other celebrations of the ethnic origins of tens of millions of Americans.  Or is it that all of those hyphenated observations are okay, it's only the ones that involve racial and ethnic groups you hate that are to be singled out for being "Un-American."  You make me want to vomit. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2  Snuffy    6 years ago

well at least they got the talking points down...   it's sad that they don't know what they want to ban however,  beyond a name.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Snuffy @2    6 years ago
well at least they got the talking points down...   it's sad that they don't know what they want to ban however,  beyond a name.

It's also sad that their funding sponsors (Hollywood, Bloomberg, Cuomo, Paul McCartney, NAN, NAACP, etc) had these young folks only focus on pro-gun control, anti-NRA, anti-Marco Rubio, anti-Trump, anti-GOP when the primary reasons that 17 innocent people were gunned down in Parkland lay at the feet of Broward County's Sheriff Dept, the Parkland school district, and the FBI because they ALL ignored all of the reported warnings that they had a madman with guns in their midst for years.

Junior Participates
2.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1    6 years ago
It's also sad that their funding sponsors

People who have the Mercers, Kochs, Adelsons and pretty much every Wall Street billionaire pumping money into their causes should really think twice before calling out liberals for their sources of money.  But, thinking twice would mean thinking once which of course is far too much to expect from this sort. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.1.1    6 years ago

Indeed!

Junior Participates
2.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1    6 years ago
Parkland lay at the feet of Broward County's Sheriff Dept,

Fuck that BS.  Then so was Columbine, Orlando, Ft. Hood and every other mass killing where a LEO gun was at or directly on site.  Not one of these attacks has ever been prevented or curtailed because LEOs were there. 

Junior Participates
2.1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  gooseisgone @2.1.4    6 years ago
You try and place blame on something that had no bearing on the situation and "Totally" look the other way from the guilty party. 

That comment makes no sense whatsoever.  Either you've addressed it to the wrong person or you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Snuffy @2    6 years ago
it's sad that they don't know what they want to ban however,

Try a hanky

its sad that kids want to not be gunned down at SCHOOL....

well

I think your comment is sad

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3  Cerenkov    6 years ago

It's simple. Each candidate weapon is displayed to a panel of liberals. If a majority of the panel loses control of their bladders, it's an "assault weapon".

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Cerenkov @3    6 years ago
It's simple. Each candidate weapon is displayed to a panel of liberals. If a majority of the panel loses control of their bladders, it's an "assault weapon".

Looks like those of us who are educated will have to start creating centers to give out free bladder control products! .

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Jasper2529 @3.1    6 years ago
Looks like those of us who are educated will have to start creating centers to give out free bladder control products!.

who decides who is educated ? Depends ?

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.2  TTGA  replied to  Cerenkov @3    6 years ago

Cerenkov,

Good one, but remember that sarcasm has no effect on those who don't have the ability to understand it.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.2.1  Cerenkov  replied to  TTGA @3.2    6 years ago

Good point. Some folks can't be educated.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Gun-lovers want to play word games when it comes to what many individuals deem to be "assault weapons."

That's a bullshit ploy to deflect from the use of …

ANY TYPE OF WEAPON AND/OR CONFIGURATION OF WEAPONS AND WEAPON-RELATED DEVICES CAPABLE OF MURDERING AND/OR MAIMING A COUPLE DOZEN CHILDREN OR MORE, AND/OR, OTHER HUMAN BEINGS … IN ONE CONTINUOUS BLAST … THIS IN A MATTER OF SECONDS.

People are murdered by cowards/lunatics/angry shits-for-brains … 

… and we have to endure "people" who repudiate angry, grieving survivors because they can't properly classify the type of weapon that murdered their children, friends, teachers and other innocent victims!

After some attack my font choices … they are invited to respond specifically to the words and meaning they represent.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  A. Macarthur @4    6 years ago
After some attack my font choices

I, for one, have never attacked your font choices. I actually like them, because when ... or IF ... I choose to read your over-sized font comments posted to deliberately draw attention, I can remove my glasses and clean them with my microfiber cloth while reading those inaccurate and inane comments. Whatever font size you want to use is fine with me. I'm far more interested in a comment's content.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.2.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2    6 years ago
Fair enough!
As a (retired) newspaper editor and published writer, I use font variations for various effects and emphasis.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2.3  Krishna  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2    6 years ago
I'm far more interested in a comment's content.

Well, if rather than the superficiality you'rer actually interested in, I recommend you read my comment, above (#4.1.23)

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Krishna @4.2.3    6 years ago

Cute poem. Thanks.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.2.5  A. Macarthur  replied to    6 years ago

What bothers me are ad hominem responses to well-written, well-reasoned comments …

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.3  Greg Jones  replied to  A. Macarthur @4    6 years ago

BANNING SO CALLED "ASSAULT" WEAPONS AND CREATING MORE NONSENSICAL AND RESTRICTIVE GUN LAWS WILL NOT STOP SCHOOL SHOOTINGS...IT ONLY LETS LIBERALS FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE DONE SOMETHING NOBEL AND GOOD. THIS WHOLE EXERCISE MEANT TO DEMONIZE TRUMP AND GOP.

The rest of us can SHOUT too! But it's kinda childish

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.3.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Greg Jones @4.3    6 years ago

Mock the Font and play the "SINCE WE CAN'T PREVENT ALL GUN MURDERS, LET'S NOT DO ANYTHING TO PREVENT ANY GUN MURDERS" card.

If rational gun reforms stop, let's say, ONLY two lunatics a year from shooting up a school, would you declare the possible 20-30 or more innocent lives spared as being "insignificant"?

Because, that in fact, is what your comment implies.

TTGA
Professor Silent
4.3.2  TTGA  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.3.1    6 years ago
If rational gun reforms stop, let's say, ONLY two lunatics a year from shooting up a school, would you declare the possible 20-30 or more innocent lives spared as being "insignificant"?

The problem is that gun laws, whether they are what you call "rational" or "common sense" or not, will not stop ANY school shootings.  Gun control, in any form, is not the solution; SCHOOL SECURITY is the proper solution.  Gun control is a red herring, used to achieve a completely different agenda.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.3.4  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @4.3    6 years ago
BANNING SO CALLED "ASSAULT" WEAPONS AND CREATING MORE NONSENSICAL AND RESTRICTIVE GUN LAWS WILL NOT STOP SCHOOL SHOOTINGS...IT ONLY LETS LIBERALS FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE DONE SOMETHING NOBEL AND GOOD. THIS WHOLE EXERCISE MEANT TO DEMONIZE TRUMP AND GOP.

I think perhaps we should criticize your use of font size and colour!

(just because... LOL!)

Junior Participates
4.3.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  XDm9mm @4.3.3    6 years ago
Show me ONE law, one will suffice that has EVER STOPPED a criminal act before the fact.

The AWB in effect 1994-2004 led to a dramatic decrease in mass shootings (that would be prevention, see) while it was in effect and since it's expiration the number and severity of mass killings have skyrocketed.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.3.6  livefreeordie  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.3.5    6 years ago

Not true. It had no effect.  Gun deaths began reducing before it passed. They have continued to decline after the ban expired.

you are just as likely to be hit by lightening as you are to be struck by a bullet fired from an AR-15

TTGA
Professor Silent
4.3.7  TTGA  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.3.5    6 years ago
The AWB in effect 1994-2004 led to a dramatic decrease in mass shootings (that would be prevention, see) while it was in effect and since it's expiration the number and severity of mass killings have skyrocketed.

No, it did not.  Per the CDC, it had no effect on shootings at all. 

In addition, the AR-15 has not only been available since 1994.  It has been available to civilians since 1962.  How many mass shootings took place between 1962 and 1994?