╌>

FOR (GUN) LOVERS ONLY

Category:  Now Trending

By:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  145 comments

FOR (GUN) LOVERS ONLY

FOR (GUN) LOVERS ONLY

When I and my girlfriend were teenagers, we used to neck and pet in her basement rec room while listening to Jackie Gleeson's album "For Lovers Only".  My girlfriend's favourite was the saxaphone player Freddy Gardner's versions of the same music.  You see, we were deprived teenagers, we could only love each other because neither of us (nor any of our friends) owned a nice warm gun to kiss, pet and stroke, and hold next to our hearts.  

Here is a collection of pictures (great pinups for your bedroom), and music titles for gun lovers - I'm sure they'll be appreciated by the many gun enthusiasts on NT.

ANTIQUE and VINTAGE GUNS

article-2690874-1F9F9F9100000578-278_634

th?id=OIP.ejMiEApUHycRmjSufJGlMQHaFj&pid

th?id=OIP.07bnlD9owl4JP1tkOtSEqQHaFj&pid

th?id=OIP.O7hc2kg509-cyQFNazvZcgHaFj&pid

th?id=OIP.pMtF_vc-v-hZt1OTPPAwdAHaE8&pid

gun.jpg

CELEBRITY GUN ENTHUSIASTS

Charlton Heston

ap_nra_president_charlton_heston_ll_1310

Charlton Heston's Private Gun Collection - 2 photos (Doesn't it make you jealous?)

charlton-heston-guns.jpg

163251.jpg

Robert De Niro

robert-de-niro.jpeg

Clint Eastwood

th?id=OIP.TzjGvH0I-bXeiH0LyajnDgHaFj&pid

MUSIC FOR (GUN) LOVERS

Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av629126?from=search&seid=1630798431436223988

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av72627?from=search&seid=14984024344924044182

John Lennon - Happiness is a Warm Gun 

http://new-play.tudou.com/v/203990445.html?spm=a2h0k.8191414.0.0&from=s1.8-1-1.2

LOL. Almost forgot this one:

Eric Clapton - I Shot the Sheriff  (Incredible guitar riffs from a master)

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av10385072?from=search&seid=3385777313447488532

ENJOY!!!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Well, you know what they say: "If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em."

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
2  magnoliaave    6 years ago

Nice.  Not everyone mistreats the usage of guns.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1  Sparty On  replied to  magnoliaave @2    6 years ago

Yep, in fact ...... most don't.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2  cjcold  replied to  magnoliaave @2    6 years ago

This liberal has quite a collection but nowhere near as extensive as Heston's. (of course I don't have his money).

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3  Spikegary    6 years ago

Yeah, Buzz, I'm not sure what your aversion to guns is based on.  Canada was settled by people with guns.  I've been around guns all my life and was raised in a hunting family.  I've never shot anyone, nor has anyone else in my family.  Do you have a similar aversion to swords?  Knives? Billy clubs?  Would you be satisfied if all nations became 'Spork' nations?

You can injure people with chopsticks too, you know.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @3    6 years ago

You know that I was born and grew up and lived most of my life in Canada, but for some reason, even being so close to the USA, Canada was never a "gun culture" country. Other than a cap gun when I was a kid, I never owned a gun and for some reason, I never felt deprived. Nobody I knew owned a gun. Notwithstanding that, I was my school's marksman champion, but even then, outside of the marksman contests at the school, I never had any desire whatsoever to buy or even possess any kind of gun or ever felt a need to shoot at anything.  However, ever since I was 16 years old, I have always owned a car until I moved to China almost 12 years ago. Notwithstanding that, I never felt the need or desire to hit anyone with it. 

Other civilized countries don't have a massive record of shooting sprees in schools or at crowds or in clubs. What is it that makes the USA so "Special" when it comes to that? Any explanation?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    6 years ago

Well, in Britain they have a massive problem with knives, even the idiot mayor of London has put up drop boxes so people can drop their knives, like some kind of gun turn in.  The instrument is not evil, it's the operator.  Until we address that, people will find ways to visit evil on others.  Look at prisons.  Probably the most secure, regimented place in the world, and yet, the prisoners find ways to build shanks.......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    6 years ago

I lied. I think I had a water pistol at one time as well.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.1    6 years ago

The second amendment?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @3.1.3    6 years ago

"The second amendment?"

???

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @3    6 years ago

"You can injure people with chopsticks too, you know."

LOL.  Murder by chopstick.  I have to admit I've never heard about one, but it could make a good story for a movie. It could go over pretty good here - "The Chopstick Terror"  If that actually happened, maybe the government might require people to qualify for and be able to obtain a licence to own chopsticks. LOL Good luck with being able to do that here.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.2.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.2.1    6 years ago

LOL. So they actually did it. Guess it's time to outlaw chopsticks. With the way Chinese food is prepared and served here, it's easier to eat with chopsticks than with a fork and knife, so it will require a cultural sea change to require everyone to use western utensils.  A lot of Chinese people don't know how to hold and use a fork and knife. I've seen people trying to eat a steak (that wasn't already cut into small pieces) holding their fork and knife in such convoluted ways I have no idea how they could make them work right. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.2.1    6 years ago

By the way, YouTube is banned here so I can't see the scene you posted.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.2.4  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

BTW, in New York I had to go through training and a background check to get my pistol license and a federal background check to pick up a shot gun I won.

I feel like you have accepted the propaganda as reality.......remember how the press manipulates the Israeli conflict?  Propaganda, with Hamas smiling as it gets published....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.5  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @3.2.4    6 years ago

Are you talking about left wing anti-gun propaganda?  If so, I consider most left wing propaganda as featured in the mostly left wing media to be too biased to consider it credible anyway. I consider actual statistics and actual facts that there are weekly school shootings recorded more reliable, and unfortunately, they exist.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.6  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.3    6 years ago

So why do you choose to live there?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.7  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

You don't actually have to be named Lee.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.8  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @3.2.6    6 years ago

"So why do you choose to live there?"

I assume you mean why do I chose to live in China. I think it was a case of one thing leading to another that brought me here and keeps me here. I started to write a response to your question, and it was getting really long, and I thought you might not be the only person who wonders about that as well, so I have decided to write a more complete article of what brought me here, and what keeps me here.  I will post it later or in the next day or two, so look for it then. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.9  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @3.2.7    6 years ago
"You don't actually have to be named Lee."

Do you mean I, or anyone else, don't have to be Chinese to be able to use chopsticks? That is correct. If you mean something else or are insinuating something I'd appreciate your explanation of that remark.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.2.10  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.8    6 years ago

Looking forward to reading it myself, Buzz, as I, too, have often wondered why you chose to live in China, outside of your beloved wife. Which is a very good reason in itself. (smile)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.11  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @3.2.10    6 years ago

It wasn't my beloved Chinese wife who had anything to do with my COMING here, as I did not even meet her until I had been here for about a year or two.  However, she has a lot to do with my STAYING here. Stay tuned. LOL

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.12  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2    6 years ago

Pretty sure I saw Jet Lee do it in a movie once.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    6 years ago

It's like they say.....With the amount of guns and ammo out in this country, if there was an actual gun problem , YOU WOULD KNOW IT !

These incidences, show nothing more than we have Actual "NUTZ" in this country ! Like "NO ONE KNEW THAT" before ! Makes No Sense

I "Collect" ! Love the old stuff. Expensive....but loveable !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @4    6 years ago

I loved collecting old stuff, and even made money doing it. I would go to garage and yard sales and pick up old china and silver that most people had no idea of their value. I had hallmark catalogues so I knew what those things were worth.  Often the silver was blackened with tarnish, and all I had to do was polish it up, and I sold the china and silver over eBay and made lots of money.  I also collected old musical instruments and vintage cameras, but those I kept.  However, when I moved to China I got rid of pretty well everything.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    6 years ago

They don't make things like they used to. Could be a good thing, but I don't think so. Nothing like actual hand made items sitting on your shelf. Big hugs

I love when you see items made by machines only, and then are told it was meticulously made. laughing dude

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    6 years ago

Just wait until the AI robots make all the hand-made stuff.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.2    6 years ago

thumbs down

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.4  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.3    6 years ago

LOL, it's coming, like it or not.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.4    6 years ago
it's coming, like it or not.

Yep !

No Jobs, No Jobs, No Jobs. chuckle

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.6  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.5    6 years ago

But lots of fishing.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.6    6 years ago

Gun Lovers Luvs Fishing too !

I could do that. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.8  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    6 years ago

Mom collected spoons. I have them all now and they polish up all bright and shiny.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.9  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @4.1.8    6 years ago

You need to be careful buying souvenirs. Last time I was in Niagara Falls I went into a souvenir store, looked at the bottom of all the "native hand made" and other "souvenirs" of Niagara Falls and saw they were all made in China. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.10  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.9    6 years ago

Mom travelled the world. Since I wear a Rolex, she bought me everything that had a Rolex logo. Some were not official.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.11  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @4.1.10    6 years ago

You can buy a Rolex from a street vendor in China for ten bucks, and its not stolen. Of course it might only work for a day or two. 

Reminds me of a joke about a lawyer who just picked up his brand new Jaguar, parked it, opened the door and a car whipping by him too close tore the door right off the car. Almost immediately a cop pulls up and says to the lawyer: "Mister, you gotta get to a hospital immediately, your arm's been torn off." To which the lawyer replies: "My God! My Rolex is gone!"

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    6 years ago

I bought a ticket to a gun party fund raiser. Food, drinks, win a gun and within walking distance

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  charger 383 @5    6 years ago

Sounds like a real blast, literally.  

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.1.1  charger 383  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    6 years ago

you have to pick guns up at gun shop later

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2  cjcold  replied to  charger 383 @5    6 years ago

Used to be a NRA member. Went to a few of those parties. Still shoot but am no longer NRA.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    6 years ago

I am another who has been around guns my entire life, having grown up in a family of hunters and marksmen.

I have asked this on another discussion before without a response:

What has happened to our society since I was a student in high school and could sling a rifle over my shoulder, then walk through the school halls on my way to target practice?

Yes, we had rifle team and target range in the basement of one of the buildings.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1  Spikegary  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

And the Biathalon at the Olympics still involves rifle Marksmanship.  The vast majority of these shootings are done by people who should not, for one reason another, posess a weapon.  I'm fine with vetting people before gun purchases.

At some point, we need to figure out how to fix the operator.  There will always be a lethal instrument, regardless of whether it has gunpowder mixed in or not.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Spikegary @6.1    6 years ago
At some point, we need to figure out how to fix the operator.

Some aspect of our society has changed to allow these operators to opt for the behavior of these murderers.

Typical responses tend to fall along the lines of we're no longer in the 1950s, society has changed. Well, yes. But answers like that do not pinpoint this specific issue.

I am not expecting this forum to do that analysis, but one would think someone, somewhere, would. I don't think such a question has ever been put on the plate for discussion at levels where an action plan could be put into place. Instead focus is put on something much further down the line.

There is something that has led to fundamental behaviors changing for many, and this "something" may be a category.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1.2  Spikegary  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.1    6 years ago

I have to wonder if it is the fasct that both parents have to work to make a living, leaving the 'town' to raise their children?  I always thought my folks were strict, but I see now that they were teaching me how to be a productive member of society, that they saw their roles as being parents, not 'Besties' with their children.  We learned right from wrong.  Our society has gone from complete strangers telling you that you were messing up, to those people ignoring others actions for fear of offending them or worse.  We were taught respect at a young age which also seems to have gone by the wayside.  The advent of the Internet has not really helped becuase peopel can do or say pretty much anything and there is no one to rein you in.  That kind of thought process has to bleed over into real life.

Just some thoughts, though I agree, Dave, we aren't going to solve it here.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Spikegary @6.1.2    6 years ago

Gary, you are hitting on areas I consider as well. Also, TVs, computers, smart phones as baby sitters. Mix that with a topic no one ever really does anything about. Bullying. A child commits suicide, the "whole world" gets up in arms and in the end, for one reason or another nothing is ever done.

No, it's not a situation of kids will be kids. That is flat out BS.

Other kids express their anxiety externally and we get school shootings. Again, no one will really address bullying.

Is bullying worse than before? I know I was in constant battles. Yet when home I didn't have to deal with them. Same as when with friends.

It's different today.

But, one can't help but think there is more to it than that. Watching a scary movie or listening to a scary radio serial was in fact scary. Today 1st person shooter games are "fun". Must be, they sell.

Also, just some of my thoughts.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2  charger 383  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

When I was in high school, during hunting season, there were lots of guns in the cars in parking lot

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  charger 383 @6.2    6 years ago

This was common in a lot of areas. I think if we are unable to identify and address the current behavioral cause behind these news making events, we will be in much worse trouble down the road.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
6.2.2  Explorerdog  replied to  charger 383 @6.2    6 years ago

Remember when gun racks in pick ups were as common as tail lights?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Explorerdog @6.2.2    6 years ago

They were here in Michigan.  

Especially around Saint Venisons day, November 15th.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6.2.4  charger 383  replied to  Explorerdog @6.2.2    6 years ago

a 4 wheel drive truck was not complete without a gun rack

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.3  Raven Wing  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago
I am another who has been around guns my entire life, having grown up in a family of hunters and marksmen.

And another here. My Father was a police office since I was about 2 y/o, and always had his service revolver at home. He kept it on a high shelf in the closet where I could not get to it. He taught me the dangers of weapon when I was old enough to understand. Later, he also taught me how to shoot it, along with a side by side shotgun. He had been a sharpshooter in the Army, and was a fast cross-draw expert. When he was picked to join the Texas Rangers he wore double, cross-draw guns, a matched pair of Colt 45 Thumb Busters, with successive serial numbers, and special holsters for quick release. There were also assorted rifles and other pistols in our house, and my Mother also had a High Standard Model D-101 Derringer that she carried with her at all times. 

My Father made sure I learned to shoot all the guns we had in order to not one be able to know how to defend myself with various weapons, but, also to answer any questions I had to satisfy my curiosity so that would not have need to seek the answers elsewhere and maybe be misinformed. I don't currently own any guns, as I don't feel the need of them. But, if I ever had to use one, I have no fear of doing so. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.3.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Raven Wing @6.3    6 years ago
Later, he also taught me how to shoot it, along with a side by side shotgun. He had been a sharpshooter in the Army, and was a fast cross-draw expert . When he was picked to join the Texas Rangers he wore double, cross-draw guns, a matched pair of Colt 45 Thumb Busters

Those are collectors items, like the Wembly and Walker Buzz posted and that 1909 .45 1stwarrior posted.

My Father also taught me to shoot, but at a very young age; early 4. The way this happened so soon was because of my misuse of a set of holstered
"nickel plated" six shooter cap guns a family friend had given me

Of course I had to learn to fast draw. So there I am one day fast drawing on people as they walked past the house. My Mother stepped outside and I never saw those guns and holster set again.

Then a few days later my Father takes me to the gun store and picks out a single shot .22 cal CO2 pellet pistol, CO2 cartridges, pellets, a trap and targets. At home he sets up a target range in the basement and shows me how he loads an shoots it.

After some shots, 10, he retrieved the target and taught me how to score it. Early math lesson. He did that several times then told me it was my turn to shoot. Except he still loaded it and walked me through the holding, aiming and how to squeeze the trigger. I surprised him and hit the target.

Eventually he bought a .22 cal single action revolver, western style. I am going to say it took a week or more of daily instructions before I shot it. By this time I could do more than hit the target, I could consistently score and we could begin competing against each other. Needless to say, it took many years before I was declared the family marksman.

Today, my Brother gets more use from my remaining long range rifle and all I keep here are hunting grade, Though I have tested my model 39 M and A Marlin .22LRs vs Remmington 513Ts and the Marlins with their heavy barrels don't give up anything. Great 150 - 180yd quail guns.

Actually, they are my only guns I have pictures of, from a time I considered selling them.

P.S. I can't figure out how the brick red garage door turned pink in the picture?

39M and 39A.jpg

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.3.4  dave-2693993  replied to  XDm9mm @6.3.3    6 years ago

Probably right. The flash could have done it. Similar thing where I spilled solvent on the door while trying to open the door with both hands full. Not visible in plain lighting.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
6.3.6  lennylynx  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.3.4    6 years ago

Tell the truth, Dave, you painted your garage pink didnya! Happy

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.3.7  dave-2693993  replied to  XDm9mm @6.3.5    6 years ago

Yep, I've got that 20/20 hindsight too.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.3.8  dave-2693993  replied to  lennylynx @6.3.6    6 years ago

Well, if you must know Lenny, a custom color like that is pretty expensive.

P.S. Never use a dark tint with a translucent base over a light color. Seven coats of paint later, lesson learned.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.3.9  Raven Wing  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.3.2    6 years ago

"Those are collectors items,"

Indeed. When my Father retired from the Texas Rangers, he was offered a very handsome amount for the Colt Thumb Busters. The sequential serial numbers made them even more valuable as they were even more rare. The deal included the custom made holster for them. It was indeed a deal he could not refuse.  My Father was also invited to participate in the fast cross draw competitions nationwide, but, since it would involve a good deal of traveling, he turned it down, as he didn't want to be away from the family for long periods of time. 

During the time my Father was with the Texas Rangers he and other Rangers often met with then Texas Governor Lyndon B. Johnson. During his stay in Oklahoma while helping the Oklahoma state law enforcement, my Father also made friends with several large cattle ranch owners, including Bill Mullendore or the Mullendore Ranch, one of the largest in OK, and movie star and rancher Ben Johnson, both were among the largest cattle ranchers in OK at the time. I remember going to a BBQ at the Mullendore Ranch with my Parents. Mrs. Mullendore's was full-blood Osage, and a truly beautiful lady. Mr. Mullendore had a huge gun collection, many of the guns were antiques and relics from all over the world. It was totally fascinating. I remembered wanting to shoot some of them. (grin)

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.3.10  dave-2693993  replied to  lennylynx @6.3.6    6 years ago

P.S. The Garage itself is a slight shade of blue off of white. Easier to see things.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.3.11  cjcold  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.3.8    6 years ago

Eggshell. Nuf said.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.3.12  dave-2693993  replied to  cjcold @6.3.11    6 years ago

Actually it is eggshell, but my understanding eggshell refers to the finish, not the tint.

Satin, eggshell, semigloss, gloss, and other various and custom finishes and effects.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.4  cjcold  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

These days one stands a 50/50 chance of being shot while walking around armed.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.4.1  dave-2693993  replied to  cjcold @6.4    6 years ago
These days one stands a 50/50 chance of being shot while walking around armed.

Okay, for the sake of discussion, let's go with that thought.

What has changed since the days I referred to, that make this a possibility in this day and time?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8  1stwarrior    6 years ago

Model 1909 45 AD - Dad found this while in Germany during WWII.  Awesome pistol.

colt.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  1stwarrior @8    6 years ago

That's pretty nice

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.2  cjcold  replied to  1stwarrior @8    6 years ago

Sweet! my brother has one. High dollar.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11  Kavika     6 years ago

Savage Model 1905. .32 semi automatic.

I inherited this from my uncle, this pistol once belonged to Kid Cann..(Isadore Blumenfeld) a very long story goes with this weapon.

11016384_2.jpg?v=8CE2D78DA9DF8D0

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
11.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @11    6 years ago

Wow! Great looking gun. I bet it really fires smoothly. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
11.2  cjcold  replied to  Kavika @11    6 years ago

How the hell does one become notorious in Minnesota (except for that movie)?

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.2.1  Kavika   replied to  cjcold @11.2    6 years ago

Kid Cann was the original ''Teflon Don''.....

A little history of the Kid...

GregTx
PhD Guide
12  GregTx    6 years ago

GregTx
PhD Guide
13  GregTx    6 years ago

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  GregTx @13    6 years ago

Please give me some text as to what you posted, because I can't open YouTube, and this is my article so I have to be able to moderate it.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
13.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1    6 years ago

One is a Lynrd Skynrd Song and one is a country song, Buzz.  Nothing more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.2  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @13.1.1    6 years ago

Okay. I added Eric Clapton doing I Shot the Sheriff to my list in the article.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1.2    6 years ago

Well, then how about Jail Break by AC/DC and sung by Bon Scott?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
13.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  dave-2693993 @13.1.3    6 years ago

That was Thin Lizzy.  Good song.

Stupid though to glorify gun violence - I don't think John Lennon would be too pleased being shot and killed and all. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13.1.5  dave-2693993  replied to  Tessylo @13.1.4    6 years ago

Thin Lizzy was a different song and out a couple years later.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
13.1.6  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1.2    6 years ago

Partied with Bob Marley once. He bogarted his joints. Also smoked with Lowell George who didn't.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
13.1.7  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @13.1.6    6 years ago

(don't bogart that joint my friend)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.8  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @13.1.6    6 years ago
"Partied with Bob Marley once."

One of my son's heroes during his teenage years.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
13.1.9  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1.8    6 years ago

Sat on the sofa next to him in the green room. He ignored everybody and didn't pass his personal joint.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14  Sparty On    6 years ago

Hey Buzz, you're missing some of the best ones.   A few of my favorites:

Warren Zevon: Lawyers Guns and Money

ACDC: Big Gun

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Saturday Night Special

Plenty more where those came from

Tough to find much that isn't Youtube so did the best i could without going to like page 25 on Google.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @14    6 years ago

When I posted this article I saw that there was a HUGE list of gun songs, but I only chose a few rather than fill a whole page of them.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
15  magnoliaave    6 years ago

When we bought our weekend farm my husband showed me how to shoot,  When I fished our lake, I would always carry it with me.  Good thing, too.  I was on the shore, looked down and there were three water mocassins.  I backed up slowly to get the gun and got all three.  I was using rat shot!  Guns are used for other things than killing people!!!!!!!!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.1  Sparty On  replied to  magnoliaave @15    6 years ago

They know that Mags but that doesn't help their left wing narrative on firearms.

So you will rarely hear that here from them.   If ever.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
15.1.1  Explorerdog  replied to  Sparty On @15.1    6 years ago

Some guns do have a singular design purpose and it is those that the wacked out gun grabbing left sets their sights on, but I understand that hysteria gets the attention.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Explorerdog @15.1.1    6 years ago
Some guns do have a singular design purpose

All functional  firearms do have one common design purpose.   That is ..... to shoot.  

I don't buy into the narrative that the AR platform for example, is designed only to kill. because it isn't rational to do so.   It's no more rational than saying some knives are designed only to kill because they sometimes are used in that manner.   Like most knives, most AR's will never kill anything but paper, metal, tin or maybe an in season predator.

Nope, don't buy that leftist narrative if that's what you're trying to push.   Not in the least.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @15.1.2    6 years ago

I think that guns were invented with the original purpose in mind of being to shoot to kill.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
15.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15.1.3    6 years ago

That is exactly why they were invented.

Since then they have taken on other roles.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
15.2  Explorerdog  replied to  magnoliaave @15    6 years ago

Of course they are, that is stating the obvious. The problem rears its head when the discussion turns to the question about should there be a limit on what TYPES of guns should be readily available. Military ordinance is far different than a 30 aught 6 and yes an AR is close enough to  the M 16 that it qualifies. Can or should a civilian be able to own fully automatic? I say yes if you have a demonstrated need or are a qualified registered collector, if you just like cutting down trees that would fail as a need. Personal protection, bingo, hunting, bingo other justified uses sure, but I do believe there is a need for limits. Want that RPG not likely

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
15.2.1  livefreeordie  replied to  Explorerdog @15.2    6 years ago

First of all, no member of the military would choose an AR over a military grade weapon. Giving nearly 20 times the firing capacity in battle would be idiotic.

secondly, the primary purpose of the right to keep firearms is to be a check against government tyranny, not hunting or going to the gun range.  50 million well armed citizens is a real check to keep the government in fear of the citizenry.

James Madison

"T]he advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of.   Notwithstanding the military establishments in the several kingdoms of Europe, which are carried as far as the public resources will bear, the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." -- James Madison, Federalist No. 46"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of the republic; since it offers a strong moral check against usurpation and arbitrary power of the rulers." -- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive."
--Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution (Philadelphia 1787)

"Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms ... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard, against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible." -- Hubert H. Humphrey Liberal Democratic Senator, 22 October 1959

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  magnoliaave @15    6 years ago

My husband didn't have to teach me how to shoot. My dad didn't have to teach my mom how to shoot.

We are real country girls....grown in the North

devangelical
Professor Principal
15.3.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.3    6 years ago

My great aunt from WV was hired by a gov't agency as a secretary after graduating high school. They had an inter-agency marksmanship competition every year open to all employees. After my great aunt won it several years in a row, the agency excluded from the competition all but those that were required to be armed for the job. Fragile male egos were involved.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @15.3.1    6 years ago

figures

Ender
Professor Principal
15.3.3  Ender  replied to  devangelical @15.3.1    6 years ago

My Niece is a better shot than her father and brother.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
15.3.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @15.3.3    6 years ago

Every time I went to M-16 training, a woman always got the highest score.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
15.3.5  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @15.3    6 years ago

Out here on the open prairie, I've known a few ladies who are almost as good as I am with firearms, bows, knives, sticks, etc. Used to teach rape prevention classes out of my martial art school (Model Mugging) and was beat up on a regular basis.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
15.4  cjcold  replied to  magnoliaave @15    6 years ago

Out in the woods I tend to carry a .44 Ruger magnum loaded with CCI birdshot. Good snake load.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
16  magnoliaave    6 years ago

Growing up there were always hunting rifles in the house, but we Southern girls much preferred sitting on the veranda sipping lemonade and, later, mint juleps.  Oh, the life of a Southern girl!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  magnoliaave @16    6 years ago

So you never went fishing, played baseball, swam in a pond, caught frogs, lightning bugs, and crayfish?????

Drank from a hose, sucked the nectar out of honeysuckle? Scratched your shins collecting raspberries? Got your knees dirty from crawling around in a dirt pile playing with toy trucks and tractors?

Never rode a bike????????????

What a boring life!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1.1  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.1    6 years ago

Great list - did most of those, but I'll add bringing home a garter snake tucked under my shirt, got poison ivy ONCE, collected salamanders and kept them in an aquarium, learned to ice skate on a rink made by flooding our back yard, building an igloo and sleeping in it one night, accidentally lighting fire to a dry field when playing with matches, ran away from home once, got bitten by a mouse when I tried to trap it with my hands, etc etc.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
16.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.1.1    6 years ago
did most of those, but I'll add bringing home a garter snake tucked under my shirt, got poison ivy ONCE, collected salamanders and kept them in an aquarium, learned to ice skate on a rink made by flooding our back yard, building an igloo and sleeping in it one night, accidentally lighting fire to a dry field when playing with matches, ran away from home once, got bitten by a mouse when I tried to trap it with my hands, etc etc.
Drank from a hose, sucked the nectar out of honeysuckle? Scratched your shins collecting raspberries? Got your knees dirty from crawling around in a dirt pile playing with toy trucks and tractors?
Never rode a bike????????????

Did all this, except made a skating rink out of the back yard or, built an igloo, it doesn't get cold enough in Florida, I did do one other thing it set my mom off like nothing else ever did, I brought home a baby alligator, she made me return it to where I found it for some reason. I never understood why! Makes No Sense

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1.3  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @16.1.2    6 years ago

LOL. Well, I couldn't match you on the Alligator thing, not in Ontario, Canada.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
16.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.1.3    6 years ago

There were no alligators in Western PA, either, but we did build snow forts for that never ending snow ball fight.

Snow forts were way more fun to build than snow men

cjcold
Professor Quiet
16.1.5  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.1.1    6 years ago

I knew you were old... just didn't know you were that old (So am I. Did all those same things).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1.6  author  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cjcold @16.1.5    6 years ago

I did all those things before I was a teenager. If I start telling what I did when I was older than that, I could get into a lot of trouble. LOL

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
16.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @16.1.4    6 years ago

We had to wait until after Christmas, then we could build forts out of old Christmas trees.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
17  magnoliaave    6 years ago

lol

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18  tomwcraig    6 years ago

It may seem to people that I love guns, because of my stance stating that the only real and legal gun control is to require all able-bodied males between ages 17 and 45 and women in the National Guard to carry a gun at all times.  HOWEVER, I actually do not like guns.  I just believe so much in common sense and have experience being around people with guns.  Heck, in my high school graduating class of 310 people, nearly everyone had guns in their cars once they were able to drive.  I was one of the few who did not have a gun.  My family had guns, my friends had guns, I did not have a gun.  Did I feel threatened?  No, I felt safe.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  tomwcraig @18    6 years ago

Why only men between 17 and 45 and not women? That's a little sexist, don't you think?

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18.1.1  tomwcraig  replied to  Trout Giggles @18.1    6 years ago

Ask Congress.  They are the ones who wrote Title 10 of the US Code and defined who are members of the militia, not me.

The first link is to the House site containing the US Code and is supposed to show the relevant Subtitle, Part, Chapter, and Section defining the composition of the militia.  The second link is to Cornell Law School's site for the same thing, just in case.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  tomwcraig @18.1.1    6 years ago
my stance

Those are your words. Don't back track now. And aren't you pretty much anti 2A if you insist that everyone be armed?

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18.1.3  tomwcraig  replied to  Trout Giggles @18.1.2    6 years ago

No.  I would prefer for everyone to have a choice about carrying a gun or not.  However, with the anti-gun movement, I feel the need to push the opposite end of the spectrum.  They keep saying they are not out to take away our guns, but they keep taking away guns so they are lying about their goals.  As I said, I don't like guns; but I believe so much for the entire Constitution that my parents, grandfathers, uncle, and father-in-law fought to protect that I feel this is a natural evolution.  Remember the Second Amendment states that "A Well-regulated Militia" is necessary, and Title 10 defines the Militia.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  tomwcraig @18.1.3    6 years ago

Nobody has taken anybody's guns away. I still have my .380 and I bet if I want that Benelli shot gun I've been eyeing, I can buy it with no problems

So you really don't want people to have a choice. Your words

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18.1.5  tomwcraig  replied to  Trout Giggles @18.1.4    6 years ago

Remember the so-called assault weapons ban?  It did not stop people from buying guns, but it did stop people from buying certain models of gun.  They are proposing a ban on the AR-15, which is not an assault rifle, unlike a M-16 or M2 Browning.  The fact that someone can say we are not out to take your guns, but then propose a ban on a type of gun in the same breath should put fear in your heart as they are contradicting themselves.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  tomwcraig @18.1.5    6 years ago

But that ban was lifted wasn't it?

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18.1.7  tomwcraig  replied to  Trout Giggles @18.1.6    6 years ago

It was sun-setted due to the rules of Congress.  And, I haven't mentioned the bans on guns in various cities that have actually had gun violence increase after these bans, ala Chicago.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  tomwcraig @18.1.7    6 years ago

Then don't move to Chicago.

Aren't you one of them thar states-righters?

The Federal Government has taken NO STEPS to relieve you of your guns

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
18.1.9  Explorerdog  replied to  tomwcraig @18.1.5    6 years ago

The ban was a poorly thought out measure that failed to take into account the nuances of what actually would classify assault weapons. The better terminology would have been applied as defining military ordinance. A 45 cal is a military grade weapon but not military ordinance, a M 16 is military ordinance and its cousin the At 15 is not military but has the same round and velocity and is simply a semi auto version so should be classified the same. Actual experts would need to be drawn into the design of the bill and not the NRA or Greenpeace but rather knowledgeable rational unbiased authorities.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18.1.10  tomwcraig  replied to  Trout Giggles @18.1.8    6 years ago

And, the 2nd Amendment overrides any state gun laws not made in the spirit of the 2nd Amendment as stated in Article VI in the Supremacy Clause.  And, since the 2nd Amendment overrides all gun laws, the 10th Amendment has no bearing.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
18.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  tomwcraig @18.1.10    6 years ago

Yep just like any other part of the constitution that state laws try to supersede but the extremists on the left and right like to cherry pick which rights are appropriate based on their biases.    Firearms rights are front and center is this regard for many on the left.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18.1.12  tomwcraig  replied to  Explorerdog @18.1.9    6 years ago

Actually, any ban would be a violation of the 2nd Amendment and violate Title 10 of the US Code.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
18.1.13  cjcold  replied to  tomwcraig @18.1.3    6 years ago
I would prefer for everyone to have a choice about carrying a gun or not.

But what if you piss me off?

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18.1.14  tomwcraig  replied to  cjcold @18.1.13    6 years ago

If you are pissed off, then it is up to you how you react.  Hopefully, you would be mature and talk it out.  Otherwise, I am well within my rights to defend myself with lethal force should it be necessary.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
18.1.15  cjcold  replied to  tomwcraig @18.1.14    6 years ago

I come here to practice how to remain calm.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
18.1.16  lennylynx  replied to  cjcold @18.1.15    6 years ago

Dummy that bee yet?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
18.1.17  cjcold  replied to  lennylynx @18.1.16    6 years ago

Bought a new hat with a face net. Starting to wonder if the honey is worth the pain and trouble.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
18.1.18  tomwcraig  replied to  cjcold @18.1.17    6 years ago

Are you using a smoke pot?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
19  Larry Hampton    6 years ago

Great article Buzz.

I have a gun  (actually two). One was given to me by my father and is treasured and kept for memories and occasional target practice. The other, a rifle, is for hunting. I live in a tiny town (<2,000) in northern Minnesota, and I honestly don't think that any of my neighbors are without a gun or a few guns. The culture is such that yungins are brought up understanding how serious a thing a gun is, taught respect and instructed in it's usage.

There is still no reason for guns that are basically military weapons, to be in the hands of ordinary citizens, let alone psychos. We have a real problem, and are literally sacrificing our own children in denying it; too, too sad.

Any way, here is a picture of my gun I got from my dad. A 1960 high standard double nine, 22cal. shoots straight as a whistle and is a blast for target shootin'! He picked it up when he was stationed in Cuba while he was in the Navy.

IMG_1045.jpg

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
19.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Larry Hampton @19    6 years ago
Any way, here is a picture of my gun I got from my dad. A 1960 high standard double nine, 22cal. shoots straight as a whistle and is a blast for target shootin'!

I remember those. A friend of my Fathers had one. The one I learned with was of similar appearance, but single action and six shot. Can't remember the maker. Maybe Umberti. ?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
20  author  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I'm impressed, and want to thank all the commenters on this article.  The issue of guns has been extremely divisive between political and left/right ideologies, yet all of you have shown the civility and good manners not to post one comment that would earn purple ink or flagging.  This is what the front page of The Newstalkers should be like all the time.  Thanks, all of you.

Because of this, I apologize to you for my snarky comment in the original article of not holding a warm gun to our hearts.