╌>

What’s so important about the Le Mans 24 Hours race? - 17 Jun 2016

Category:  Sports

Via:  dave-2693993  •  6 years ago  •  107 comments

What’s so important about the Le Mans 24 Hours race? - 17 Jun 2016

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

On the face of it, the Le Mans 24 Hours seems like a pretty niche race. It’s hosted in a small city in the French countryside and pits strange-looking cars driven by largely unknown drivers against each other in a 24-hour, 3,000-mile endurance race.

It doesn’t attract the sort of glitz, glamour and celebrity attendance as Formula One, it’s not seen as being as cool as rallycross or stage rally and it’s not broadcast on any mainstream television channels.

Yet in spite of all this, the 24 Hours of Le Mans is one of the most storied, the most prestigious and the most important races anywhere in the world. Just as Monaco is widely regarded as the greatest venue for Formula One cars, Le Mans is the race for supercars.

Gruelling full-throttle battle

The race began in 1923 as an alternative to Grand Prix racing, which had become the dominant form of motorsport throughout much of Europe. Instead of focusing on the ability of a manufacturer to build the fastest car, the 24 Hours of Le Mans would instead concentrate on speed, reliability and consistency.

Le Mans is a race where the drivers spend up to 85 per cent of their time on full throttle, which puts immense stress on the cars’ engines and components while the layout of the track necessitated the development of better aerodynamics to keep the cars stable at immense speeds.

Although Formula One is responsible for the development of technologies which have trickled down directly into road cars , it’s arguably Le Mans that’s historically been the more important crucible for innovation in performance car fuel efficiency, aerodynamics and reliability.

For manufacturers, if you win at Le Mans you are the best. Given that the race takes place over a full day with no stops, there are so many things that have to go right for the winners to prevail with all-round ability cherished more than straight-line speed.

Spectacular grudge matches

Of course, this year’s Le Mans race is important for another reason. It’s been 50 years since arguably the most famous motorsports rivalry of all time, when Ford’s GT40 beat arch-rival Ferrari in a stunning 1-2-3 photo finish in the 1966 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Ferrari, which had previously won so consistently at Le Mans that it practically considered the track as its home turf, was spectacularly ousted by Ford  in an all-out grudge match fuelled by personal tensions between Henry Ford II, Carroll Shelby and Enzo Ferrari himself.

Back in those days, racing success went hand-in-hand with national pride, and Ford’s win didn’t just prove that it could best Ferrari but than Americans could beat European sports car makers at their own game. Five decades on and Ford is hoping that it can repeat history once again.

Despite a slightly shaky start and persistent transmission problems, the all-new Ford GT – the direct successor to the GT40 – will start on pole in its class at this year’s race, with Ferrari’s 488 GTE right behind it.

Real-time research

Rivalries aside, Le Mans is also vitally important to carmakers looking to further hone and refine their technology. Testing new kit in controlled conditions is one thing, but there’s no better way to truly test the limits than the punishing 24-hour race.

All of the manufacturers who enter cars into the race will be using it to gather data from the blistering heat the engines and brakes are submitted to, to the cars’ ability to consistently cope with huge G forces through corners and the impact of adverse weather conditions.

Particularly for those running hybrid vehicles, the race will serve as a real-time research lab to assess the viability of hybrid drivetrains  for use first in racing cars, then in supercars and finally in everyday road vehicles too.

The Le Mans race works by number of laps, with the car in each category that completes the highest amount of laps from start to finish declared the winner. As a result, the fewer pit stops it makes and the more seconds it can shave off lap times the better, which provides the perfect opportunity to test efficiency, reliability and new lightweight materials.

Turbochargers and superchargers, along with disc brakes, air brakes and aerodynamic wings are just some of the innovations which were introduced, tested or refined during Le Mans races. The hybrid powertrain Porsche introduced several years ago now powers the 918 Spyder hypercar, while diesel technology available in Audi cars was once tested on that course.

Win on Sunday, sell on Monday

Of course, there’s more to Le Mans than just R&D with one of the biggest reasons manufacturers like Audi, Aston Martin and Chevrolet want to perform well being that the brand therefore earns real racing credentials.

For example, owning a sports car like a Chevrolet Corvette or an Aston Martin Vantage  is all well and good, but being able to say that a version of that car scored victory at Le Mans adds that little extra something than can work wonders for attracting buyers.

Chevrolet in particular, which has won several races in the past few years with its Corvette, has been able to prove that the ‘Vette is a sports car that’s able to win a race populated by supercars. It’s not just a bargain muscle car, it’s a genuine competition winner.

Company branding like this can boost the profile of the car and end up translating into sales for the manufacturer, though on the opposite side of the coin poor performance in races like Le Mans can actively hurt a car’s success.

Worth the risks?

It’s worth the risk and it’s worth the billions of dollars thrown at the development of Le Mans cars and racing teams all the same, with the old “win on Sunday, sell on Monday” adage still holding true for many cars.

How many sales manufacturers generate off the back of motorsport is hard to say and none of them will be forthcoming with the specifics of how much they spend on their racing programmes either, but if it wasn’t worth the expense basic economics dictates that it wouldn’t continue.

Yet it does continue, with Le Mans hosting new cars packed with new technologies from some of the world’s most prestigious manufacturers each year, every one of them hoping for that much-coveted victory.

All in all, not bad for a pretty niche race hosted in a small city in the French countryside, which pits strange-looking cars driven by largely unknown drivers against each other, eh?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

This years qualifying grid. Notice in the column headed by Class, there are 4 classes running. The prototypes LMP1 and LMP2, then the GT cars GTE Pro and GTE Am. I will follow up later with more detail about the classes.

Starting grid

Pos Class Driver Team Car Time Gap
1 LMP1 S.Buemi, K.Nakajima, F.Alonso Toyota Gazoo Racing Toyota 3m15.377s -
2 LMP1 M.Conway, K.Kobayashi, J.M.Lopez Toyota Gazoo Racing Toyota 3m17.377s 2.000s
3 LMP1 A.Lotterer, N.Jani, B.Senna Rebellion Racing Rebellion/Gibson 3m19.449s 4.072s
4 LMP1 S.Sarrazin, E.Orudzhev, M.Isaakyan SMP Racing BR Engineering/AER 3m19.483s 4.106s
5 LMP1 T.Laurent, M.Beche, G.Menezes Rebellion Racing Rebellion/Gibson 3m19.945s 4.568s
6 LMP1 H.Hedman, B.Hanley, R.van der Zande DragonSpeed BR Engineering/Gibson 3m21.110s 5.733s
7 LMP1 V.Petrov, M.Aleshin, J.Button SMP Racing BR Engineering/AER 3m21.408s 6.031s
8 LMP1 O.Webb, D.Kraihamer, T.Dillmann ByKOLLES Racing Team ENSO CLM/NISMO 3m22.505s 7.128s
9 LMP1 O.Rowland, A.Brundle, O.Turvey CEFC TRSM Racing Ginetta/Mecachrome 3m23.757s 8.380s
10 LMP2 P.Lafargue, P-L.Chatin, M.Rojas Idec Sport Racing ORECA/Gibson 3m24.842s 9.465s
11 LMP2 R.Gonzalez, P.Maldonado, N.Berthon DragonSpeed ORECA/Gibson 3m24.883s 9.506s
12 LMP2 R.Rusinov, A.Pizzitola, J-E.Vergne G-Drive Racing ORECA/Gibson 3m25.160s 9.783s
13 LMP2 F.Perrodo, M.Vaxiviere, L.Duval TDS Racing ORECA/Gibson 3m25.240s 9.863s
14 LMP1 C.Robertson, M.Simpson, L.Roussel CEFC TRSM Racing Ginetta/Mecachrome 3m25.268s 9.891s
15 LMP2 T.Buret, J.Canal, W.Stevens Panis Barthez Competition Ligier/Gibson 3m25.376s 9.999s
16 LMP2 N.Lapierre, A.Negrao, P.Thiriet Signatech Alpine Matmut Alpine/Gibson 3m26.681s 11.304s
17 LMP2 V.Capillaire, J.Hirschi, T.Gommendy Graff-SO24 ORECA/Gibson 3m26.701s 11.324s
18 LMP2 P.Hanson, F.Albuquerque, P.Di Resta United Autosports Ligier/Gibson 3m26.772s 11.395s
19 LMP2 H-Pin Tung, S.Richelmi, G.Aubry Jackie Chan DC Racing ORECA/Gibson 3m27.120s 11.743s
20 LMP2 J.Jaafar, N.Jeffri, W.Tan Jackie Chan DC Racing ORECA/Gibson 3m27.226s 11.849s
21 LMP2 J.Allen, J.Gutierrez, E.Guibbert G-Drive Racing ORECA/Gibson 3m27.280s 11.903s
22 LMP2 R.Lacorte, G.Sernagiotto, F.Nasr Cetilar Villorba Corse Dallara/Gibson 3m27.993s 12.616s
23 LMP2 F.van Eerd, G.van der Garde, J.Lammers Racing Team Nederland Dallara/Gibson 3m28.111s 12.734s
24 LMP2 H.de Sadeleer, W.Owen, J.P.Montoya United Autosports Ligier/Gibson 3m28.159s 12.782s
25 LMP2 V.Shaytar, H.Newey, N.Nato SMP Racing Dallara/Gibson 3m28.629s 13.252s
26 LMP2 R.Taylor, C.Ledogar, D.H.Hansson Jackie Chan DC Racing Ligier/Gibson 3m29.474s 14.097s
27 LMP2 A.Bertolini, N.Jonsson, T.Krohn Eurasia Motorsport Ligier/Gibson 3m33.585s 18.208s
28 LMP2 D.Cheng, N.Boulle, P.Nicolet Jackie Chan DC Racing Ligier/Gibson 3m35.237s 19.860s
29 LMP2 E.Creed, R.Ricci, T.Dagoneau Larbre Competition Ligier/Gibson 3m38.206s 22.829s
30 LMP2 M.Patterson, A.D.De Jong, T.Kim Algarve Pro Racing Ligier/Gibson 3m39.518s 24.141s
31 GTE Pro R.Lietz, G.Bruni, F.Makowiecki Porsche GT Team Porsche 3m47.504s 32.127s
32 GTE Pro M.Christensen, K.Estre, L.Vanthoor Porsche GT Team Porsche 3m49.097s 33.720s
33 GTE Pro S.Mucke, O.Pla, B.Johnson Ford Chip Ganassi Team UK Ford 3m49.181s 33.804s
34 GTE Pro A.P.Guidi, J.Calado, D.Serra AF Corse Ferrari 3m49.494s 34.117s
35 GTE Pro J.Hand, D.Muller, S.Bourdais Ford Chip Ganassi Team USA Ford 3m49.582s 34.205s
36 GTE Pro P.Pilet, N.Tandy, E.Bamber Porsche GT Team Porsche 3m49.589s 34.212s
37 GTE Pro R.Briscoe, R.Westbrook, S.Dixon Ford Chip Ganassi Team USA Ford 3m49.761s 34.384s
38 GTE Pro R.Dumas, T.Bernhard, S.Muller Porsche GT Team Porsche 3m50.089s 34.712s
39 GTE Pro J.Magnussen, A.Garcia, M.Rockenfeller Corvette Racing - GM Chevrolet 3m50.242s 34.865s
40 GTE Pro D.Rigon, S.Bird, M.Molina AF Corse Ferrari 3m50.246s 34.869s
41 GTE Pro A.Priaulx, H.Tincknell, T.Kanaan Ford Chip Ganassi Team UK Ford 3m50.429s 35.052s
42 GTE Pro A.Farfus, A.F.da Costa, A.Sims BMW Team MTEK BMW 3m50.579s 35.202s
43 GTE Pro M.Tomczyk, N.Catsburg, P.Eng BMW Team MTEK BMW 3m50.596s 35.219s
44 GTE Am M.Cairoli, K.Al Qubaisi, G.Roda Dempsey-Proton Racing Porsche 3m50.728s 35.351s
45 GTE Pro O.Gavin, T.Milner, M.Fassler Corvette Racing - GM Chevrolet 3m50.952s 35.575s
46 GTE Pro T.Vilander, A.Giovinazzi, P.Derani AF Corse Ferrari 3m50.957s 35.580s
47 GTE Am M.Wainwright, B.Barker, A.Davison Gulf Racing Porsche 3m51.391s 36.014s
48 GTE Am M.Campbell, C.Ried, J.Andlauer Dempsey-Proton Racing Porsche 3m51.930s 36.553s
49 GTE Am T.Flohr, F.Castellacci, G.Fisichella Spirit of Race Ferrari 3m51.956s 36.579s
50 GTE Pro A.Lynn, M.Martin, J.Adam Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin 3m52.486s 37.109s
51 GTE Am J.Bergmeister, P.Lindsey, E.Perfetti Team Project 1 Porsche 3m52.985s 37.608s
52 GTE Am S.Yoluc, E.Hankey, C.Eastwood TF Sport Aston Martin 3m53.070s 37.693s
53 GTE Am F.Babini, C.Nielsen, E.Maris Ebimotors Porsche 3m53.402s 38.025s
54 GTE Am Mok W.S., M.Griffin, K.Sawa Clearwater Racing Ferrari 3m53.409s 38.032s
55 GTE Am L.Griffin, C.MacNeil, J.Segal JMW Motorsport Ferrari 3m53.439s 38.062s
56 GTE Pro M.Sorensen, N.Thiim, D.Turner Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin 3m53.523s 38.146s
57 GTE Am P.D.Lana, P.Lamy, M.Lauda Aston Martin Racing Aston Martin 3m53.817s 38.440s
58 GTE Am B.Keating, J.Bleekemolen, L.Stolz Keating Motorsports Ferrari 3m54.000s 38.623s
59 GTE Am P.Long, T.Pappas, S.Pumpelly Proton Competition Porsche 3m54.720s 39.343s
60 GTE Am M.Ishikawa, O.Beretta, E.Cheever MR Racing Ferrari 3m54.951s 39.574s

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    6 years ago

I love this race. '66 was my fav. year. Of course, I am a Ford fan ! thumbs up

Gulf was always my Fav. sponsor to see. Really liked the colors.

I do miss the days when "Wings" and Fancy "spoilers" weren't the thing. Just seeing "CARS" race made it fun to watch.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  It Is ME @2    6 years ago

Me too. Or maybe 1969 when Jackie Ickx walking instead of running to his car at the last of the once famous Le Mans starts? Both were memorable and and historic races in their own right.

Not the first to leave leave:

But the first to finish:

This time in a 5.0 litre small block Ford with a set of Weslake Engineering cylinder heads as the 7.0 litre engines in that class of racing were banned following the 1966 season.

IIRC 1969 was the last year of the  GT40s wearing the John Wire - Gulf Racing liveries. The following season saw John Wyre take his Gulf sponsorship over to field a team of Porsche 917s.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1    6 years ago

IROC is another of my Favs..

Used to love Nascar back when it was all about THE CAR., but when a paint job was all that was needed to make a car look like a car, I was done for good. No fun watching Pit strategy Wars.

Ever noticed, if FORD gets to close too many times, or wins too many races, they restrict what can be done to them. patience

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    6 years ago

Other than the technology behind the scenes of NASCAR series, the interest has fallen for a lot of people. However, for now, the engineering and  applications of technology remains good for a lot of aftermarket product development. From this perspective, I hope it continues.

In the past there have been a lot of rules of "parity" put into play that pretty much anyone with any kind of mechanical background can tell were just wrong.

Unfortunately, as more became aware of these things, these ideas and some other rules of safety were implemented along with a greater emphasis on driver fan base, the common template "COT" came into being.

Le Mans is only 1 race within a series which still has significant focus on putting the engineering on display.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.3  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1    6 years ago
John Wire - Gulf Racing liveries.

Typo correction: John Wyre.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.4  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.2    6 years ago

LeMans to me is bigger than any one F1 event. F1 events are entertainment events in among themselves but winning LeMans is a team sport because no one driver can carry the car for 24 hours, plus the pit crew and the engineering staff can make or break the car if they aren't working together. There are many more pitfalls in LeMans because of the length of it, unlike a 2-hour F1 event. For automakers, LeMans is more technologically useful because it is far more relevant to their street cars, unlike f1, is more of a PR event with almost no direct technical relevance.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.5  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @2.1.4    6 years ago

Absolutely right and speaking of team work, these days there are 3 and 4 drivers per team. They used to go 2 or 3, with 3 often being an oddity.

I used to enjoy the prototypes almost as much as the GT cars, but these days I has lost touch with them. Really, there is some interesting technology going on there with some category updates coming soon. It wouldn't hurt to brush up on that class again.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.6  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.5    6 years ago

I love the engineering complexity of the LeMans prototypes and I would love to drive any of them.

Obviously there is a more than a bit of luck because of the weather and the ability to guess what both your competitors and what the track will do as it changes throughout the night. Computers allow you to have hundreds of models to take advantage of all of those situations, especially with the real-time linking back to the factory.  NASA would be proud of a winning effort. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.7  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @2.1.6    6 years ago
NASA would be proud of a winning effort.

I am sure they would. A fella who used the head up the on-site telemetry for Ligier worked for me after he left that job had some good experiences to tell about that. When what teams could do with telemetry he left as he saw that portion of technology in the sport cutting back and that was where his main focus was at the time.

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.1.8  charger 383  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    6 years ago

Still follow NASCAR but now it means No Actual Stock Cars Are Racing.   

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.9  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  charger 383 @2.1.8    6 years ago

Australian V8 Supercars have gone a similar route when then went to the Car of the Future (COF). They have maintained 5 litre displacement limit and a hp limit as well.

This next season coming up the Fords will use the Mustang body made to follow the COF template and for the first time move from the 8.200" deck Windsor block and Yates D3 heads to a Coyote power plant. I am interested in seeing that.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.10  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.9    6 years ago

I've noticed my typing and word smithing has gone to pieces today/tonight.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

As promised, some explanation of the 4 classifications of accepted race cars competing at Le Mans this weekend. Note the vagueness regarding the engine rules and maximum allowable power outputs. I think only the LMP2 cars 600hp limit is provided. Anyhow, beginning with the LMP1 cars with examples.

Le Mans Prototypes

Le Mans Prototypes are closed cockpit cars with no production minimum required. Generally produced for the FIA World Endurance Championship, which includes the 24 Hours of Le Mans / ELMS / IMSA races these cars are developed exclusively for on-track competitions, fulfilling the requirements of the Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s technical regulations. Because of their superior performances and level of technological development, they have a star status within endurance racing.

Prototypes are divided into two categories:

• LMP1 - for Manufacturers
  • LMP2 - for teams independent of manufacturers and/or engine suppliers

“LE MANS" PROTOTYPE 1 category includes:

• "LE MANS" PROTOTYPE 1 Hybrid: with Energy Recovery System (ERS).
  • "LE MANS" PROTOTYPE 1: with no Energy Recovery System (ERS) reserved only for private teams.

The LMP1 Private Teams category is reserved exclusively for independent private teams. A team that is independent of a manufacturer means a team that does not benefit from any support from a manufacturer other than for the single supply of engines, services relating to these engines or commercial support. Any support from a manufacturer relating to the chassis or to chassis systems is prohibited. It is understood that traction control is considered as a chassis system.

Characteristics

Engines

Engine is free except following restrictions:

• Only Petrol or Diesel 4 stroke engines with reciprocating pistons are permitted.
  • Engine cubic capacity is free for LMP1-Hybrid cars
  • Engine cubic capacity must not exceed 5500 cm3 for LMP1 cars.
  • Engine use is limited to 5 engines for the complete season (all race events) per car entered.

Number panels

Pantone red 485, with white numbers

Driver Categories

Bronze drivers are not permitted

Minimum weight

878 kg for LMP1-Hybrid

833 kg for LMP1

Dimensions:

• Wheelbase: Free but it must be identical to that registered in the Homologation Form
  • Overall length: 4650 mm maximum
  • The front overhang is limited to 1000 mm
  • The rear overhang is limited to 750 mm
  • Overall width: 1900 mm maximum and 1800mm minimum
  • Height: No part of the bodywork is permitted to be more than 1050 mm above the reference surface

Fuel Flow Metering:

A homologated "Fuel Flow Meters" sensor must be fitted which directly measures the fuel flow through the fuel feed line to the engine. By measuring the instantaneous flow the total fuel consumption can be calculated. The LMP1 will be constrained on both: fuel energy per lap and maximum instantaneous fuel flow.

Fuel Tank Capacity:

Petrol 62.3 litres with ERS, 75 litres with no ERS
Diesel 50.1 litres with ERS

Fuel Energy per Lap:

The fuel energy per lap is the total amount of fuel energy contained in the fuel mass allocated for one lap.

Technology Factor:

The Fuel Technology Factor is a function of the ratio of Diesel over Petrol engine efficiencies.
The K Technology Factor is a function of Diesel and Gasoline powertrain weight and ERS options.
Those factors are used to calculate the relation between diesel and gasoline allocated energy and maximum instantaneous flow.

Maximum instantaneous fuel flow:

The fuel flow is limited instantaneously and therefore limits the maximum engine power.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

LMP2 is next:

"LE MANS" PROTOTYPE 2 (LMP2) is a racing car with no production minimum required.
It is a closed cockpit car, destined only to teams independent of manufacturers and/or engine suppliers.

The selling price of the complete new car, without engine or homologated electronic equipment, must not exceed €483,000.

Characteristics

Engines

Engine Homologated (see Article 5.1)

Cylinder capacity: 4.2-litre V8 without direct-injection producing 600bhp.

Number panels

Pantone blue 653, with white numbers.

Driver Categories

A crew of 2 or 3 drivers must include at least one Silver or Bronze driver.

Minimum weight

930 kg

Fuel Tank Capacity

75 Litres

Dimensions:

• Wheelbase: Free but it must be identical to that registered in the Homologation Form.
  • Overall length: 4750 mm maximum (rear wing included)
  • Overall width: 1900 mm maximum
  • Height: No part of the bodywork is permitted to be more than 1050 mm above the reference surface (See Article 3.5.1)
  • The front overhang is limited to 1000 mm.
  • The rear overhang is limited to 750 mm (including the rear wing).

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Finally my favorites, the GT cars; GTE PRO and GTE AM:

Le Mans Grand Touring Endurance

The "Le Mans" Grand Touring Endurance car (LMGTE) is a car having an aptitude for sport with 2 doors, 2 or 2+2 seats, opened or closed, which can be used perfectly legally on the open road and available for sale thanks to the dealer network of a manufacturer recognised by the Endurance Committee.

This category includes two groups:

A group destined more especially to professional (LMGTE PRO).
A group destined more especially to amateur drivers (LMGTE AM)

Characteristics

Engines

Normally aspirated engines: 5500 cc maximum
Turbocharged / Supercharged engines: 4000 cc maximum.

Driver categories

LMGTE-Pro: The composition of the crews is free.
LMGTE-Am: A crew of 2 or 3 drivers must include at least 1 Bronze plus 1 Bronze or Silver.

Dimensions

Maximum dimensions:

• Overall length: 4800 mm
  • Front overhang: 1250 mm
  • Rear overhang: 1100 mm
  • Overall width: 2050 mm (excluding rear view mirrors)

Number panels

LMGTE-Pro: Pantone green 355, with white numbers.
LMGTE-Am: Pantone orange 021C, with white numbers.

Minimum weight

1245 kg (weight of the car without driver, fuel or fluids on board). The Endurance Committee reserves the right to adjust the minimum weight of any car in order to maintain the Balance of Performance between the cars.

Fuel Tank Capacity

90 litres (subject to Balance of Performance adjustments)

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     6 years ago

The first winner of the Le Mans.. 1923

1924-le-mans-duff-and-clement.jpeg

Previous Next
  1. https://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/styles/16x9_929w/public/images/gallery-migration/2014-06/2F1E3137-74D6-496B-87BD-012283F5BDF0.jpg?itok=GR922BrX 929w, 1240w, 1858w" sizes="(min-width: 0px) 100vw, (min-width: 1000px) calc(100wv-340px), (min-width: 1320px) 980px"> https://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/styles/16x9_929w/public/images/gallery-migration/2014-06/2F1E3137-74D6-496B-87BD-012283F5BDF0.jpg?itok=GR922BrX 929w" alt="" title="">

Chenard & Walcker 'Sport'

This, ladies and gents, is the first-ever winner of Le Mans: the Chenard & Walcker “Sport”.

Boasting a mighty 98 horsepower, it managed to pound round the French track at a top speed of 93mph in the hands of André Lagache and René Léonard. If that sounds a little pedestrian, remember this was in 1923, when safety was, at best, a mere wistful afterthought. Andre and Rene had stones.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @6    6 years ago

Oh man. Could you imagine going 93 mph in that? I wouldn't mind driving it, but not at 93.

Do you know if the car still exists?

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1    6 years ago

Yes, it still exists and here it is.

507be25de03e7e4ac1c1d44ad09a1276.jpg

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @6.1.1    6 years ago

Great, thanks.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.2    6 years ago

The original photo shows number 8. The photo in the museum shows number 9...In tracing back and looking at a number of photos it seems the the original photo showing number 8 is actually the 1924 winner. Number 9 in color is the 1923 winner. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.4  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @6.1.3    6 years ago

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

These folks were pioneers who laid the foundation that we have built upon to reach where we are today. Many were shade tree inventors, others applied known engineering practices of the time and most were a combination somewhere in between.

I love that toolbox sitting on the running board. Depending the passenger was the "pit crew" and or navigator.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.4    6 years ago
I love that toolbox sitting on the running board. Depending the passenger was the "pit crew" and or navigator.

Mechanic, navigator, back up driver all rolled into one.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.6  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @6.1.5    6 years ago

Yes indeed.

This helps to understand why folks like AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti and Parnelli Jones had some idiosyncrasies in their on track and garage personalities when the backup was gone. Kind of the last of the breed.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

As we near the start time of 9:0 AM ET we have a little time to catch up on some of pre race thoughts.

Le Mans 24 Hours 2018: the preview

by Jack Phillips on 13th June 2018

There's a lot more to the Le Mans 24 Hours than Toyota's quest for elusive victory. Jack Phillips unpacks the myriad of stories before this year's endurance race

Car passes the Le Mans finish line, 2015, long exposure. Photo courtesy of Rolex

This is Toyota’s Le Mans to lose. Scratch that, this is Alonso's Le Mans to lose. That’s the general consensus.

But Toyota knows as well as anyone that it’s never that simple. Hence the bizarre crisis management it was undertaking at Paul Ricard's prologue test, practising everything from switching the Christmas tree of internal lights off to exiting the pits with one wheel missing from its wagon.

Le Mans will throw everything and anything at the 60 cars, 180 drivers that will be racing around it, with no respect for reputation. Toyota knows that only too well.

It wasn’t that long ago that two cars of the LMP1-H field (a third of it) were skittled on the Mulsanne Straight as they entered a slow zone in the rain. It wasn’t too long ago that Kazuki Nakajima stopped eight miles from victory. It was even less ago that Kamui Kobayashi mistook an LMP2 driver for a marshal and burnt out his clutch and Toyota’s chances of victory. And less ago even that André Lotterer coasted to a dejected stop from a comfortable lead in his Porsche 919.

As many drivers will tell you: you don’t win Le Mans, Le Mans chooses its winner. While this is Toyota’s best chance yet, it’s still facing 24 hours of racing on track with cars and drivers of vastly differing speed and ability.

Over a stint Toyota will undoubtedly have the edge. It can run longer on the road and stop shorter in the pits. And lap at least half a second quicker.

Rebellion Racing, veterans of the race, will offer Toyota its closest competition. Its two cars will be racing to be within touching distance should strife hit the faster Toyotas. One-lap pace may be as close as half a second – or maybe not, because Toyota has pace in hand from the Le Mans Test. But Sébastien Buemi seemed genuinely concerned by the Rebellion's one-lap pace after Spa.

Toyota didn’t run any qualifying sims at the test, but its team manager Pascal Vasselon told Gary Watkins that it would have run in the 3min 17sec, a second faster than it did in 2017 at the same point.

But Rebellion too has pace to find and has arguably the best line-up in the prototype field in Lotterer, Neel Jani, Bruno Senna, Thomas Laurent, Gustavo Menezes and Mathias Beche.

Reliability may be a question mark, but it will take comfort in its car being based on the bulletproof LMP2 cars and powered by a Gibson. It should run and run. Rebellion’s two LMP2s did last year, providing they could get them to start – via the force of a hammer...

Whether SMP Racing's AER-powered Dallara-built BR1 can expect the same reliability is another matter. The engine proved delicate in the ByKolles, but the car its bolted into the back of seems fast. Slowed by the aero tweaks in the wake of the big accidents at Spa, it looks third best with still pace to find within it. It will have plenty of eyes on it, too, courtesy of Jenson Button's signing for the remainder of the ‘superseason’ alongside Mikhail Aleshin and Vitaly Petrov.

ByKolles has improved, although it looked adrift at Spa. It has unfinished business at Le Mans, having last year bolting out of the blocks into the thick of the hybrid LMP1s, only for contact to end its race before the opening lap was fully on the board.

The CEFC TRSM/Manor’s performance will be anyone’s guess, but its driver line-up is good with valuable Le Mans experience in Alex Brundle and Oliver Turvey in its youthful team.

Dragonspeed deserves plenty of plaudits for simply getting to the starting grid, following Pietro Fittipaldi's horror crash at Raidillon that broke his legs. Henrik Hedman, LMP1’s only bronze driver, partners with the ever-impressive Ben Hanley and Daytona 24 Hours pole-winner Renger van der Zande.

LMP1 might not have the marquee manufacturers of recent years, but that’s not to say this will be a forgettable Le Mans. It will be a Le Mans of yesteryear, a few valiant tortoises versus a very fast hare.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

A little delayed (by me), but here is our start:

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @8    6 years ago

A yellow flag in the first minute of the race...Damn.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @8.1    6 years ago

On these starts and full course restarts, often someone gets a little greedy of anxious. Ruins the day for a lot of folks.

The Le Mans starts had their faults, but I don't recall these kind of issues so much. Then again, that was a "couple" years ago...

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.2  epistte  replied to  Kavika @8.1    6 years ago
A yellow flag in the first minute of the race...Damn.

Everyone is feeling frisky and some drivers don't understand that you can't win the race in the first 5 laps, but you certainly can lose it. LeMans is a race of attrition so you must first surive for 23 hours before you can have a chance to win it. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Porsche out in force for the 24 Hours of Le Mans

There have been many editions of the 24 Hours of Le Mans with a strong Porsche contingent on the grid. But this 2018 vintage has a particularly interesting flavour. In the year of its 70th anniversary, Porsche is here with a ten-car delegation and is looking forward to celebrating the milestone with a taste of victory champagne in LMGTE Pro and LMGTE Am.

Porsche out in force for the 24 Hours of Le Mans

When Porsche announced its withdrawal from LMP1 last year, it promised to reinforce its GT involvement. The German manufacturer kept its word.  This year, four works cars will take on Aston Martin, BMW, Chevrolet, Ferrari and Ford in the LMGTE Pro class. This is the highest number of Porsche works entries in GT in the history of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In LMGTE Am, four privateers are fielding a total of six cars. A strong contingent with a common goal: winning!

The 911 RSRs hardly go unnoticed. Firstly, the characteristic sound of the flat-six naturally-aspirated engine is music to the ears of fans of the iconic German marque. And secondly, two of the four works cars in the LMGTE Pro class sport commemorative liveries. The #92 has a distinctive pink paintwork reminiscent of the famous “Pink Pig” – the Porsche 917 of 1971. It even has sections of the car labelled in butcher-style cuts! The #91 has inherited the colours of a cigarette manufacturer who sponsored Porsche in the eighties.

5b1e95513a8ec.jpg

5b1e952ae44e6.jpg

5b15110d2267f.jpg

Twelve works drivers will share the wheel of the four 911 RSRs on the LMGTE Pro grid. Porsche has seconded an array of talented youngsters and established stars to privateer teams. Weissach has high hopes for the up-and-coming Julien Andlauer and Matt Campbell who will appear for Dempsey-Proton Racing. Proton Competition will be boosted by the experience of Patrick Long, while recent recruit Christina Nielsen will take the wheel of the Ebimotors car.

Porsche is focused on just one aim: victory in both classes. Lots of engineers and technicians who were involved in the LMP1 programme came to help us ,”  says Patrick Pilet, lining up in the #93.  “We had the benefit of some new opinions from people with very different skills and that helped us optimise many details. The more opinions, views and ideas that are shared, the better it is for us.”

With four cars for this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, we’ll be able to take risks and adopt different strategies.

Kevin Estre

Kévin Estre, another of Porsche’s French drivers, has never previously finished the race but intends that to change this year. “Expectations are high both in-house and among our fans. Already in the 24 Hours of Nürburgring  [endurance race for GTs and touring cars] , we entered more cars than we usually do and it paid off as we won. With four cars for this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, we’ll be able to take risks and adopt different strategies. At Weissach, some of the people who worked on the LMP1 programme are there to develop future cars, analyse data and help us move forward.”  

5b20d0bcc9796.jpg

5b1e6b3c7df95.jpg

5b1174bdbb230.jpg

Wolfgang Porsche, the marque’s chairman, and Oliver Blume, the CEO, will both be in Le Mans this Saturday. Porsche obviously mean celebrating their 70th anniversary in style. We shall see on Sunday afternoon whether the champagne will continue to flow.

Photo: The #94 Porsche 911 RSR approaching the Porsche Curves.

Watch the 24 Hours of Le Mans live

Keep track of the action with our live text thread . Find the highlights and a few glimpses behind-the-scenes on Facebook , Twitter , Instagram and YouTube . Don't forget to add the #LEMANS24 hashtag to your posts!

The news - The program - The entry list  - TV Distribution

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
10  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

LMP2

classement-lm-p2-1st-heure.png

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
11  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

GTs

classement-lm-gte-pro-1st-heure.png

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

LMP1

classement-lm-p1-1st-heure.png

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
13  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Coping with traffic:

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
14  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Trouble for a couple GT cars:

ferrari tyre 2.png

Ferrari tyre.png

ferrari3.png

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
15  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Second hour standings:

LMP1

5b2526295fd9a.png

GT AM

5b25262c8a91c.png

GT PRO

5b25262b7b36d.png

Odd, no graphic on LMP2. Earlier they missed GT AM. I sense a race rookie is making some decisions on what to present.

Kavika
Professor Principal
16  Kavika     6 years ago
I sense a race rookie is making some decisions on what to present.

I'm still enjoying the videos...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @16    6 years ago

Thank you Kavika. I will keep them coming.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
17  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Live race coverage on board the Ford GTs. These are GTE cars. The speed disparity between the GT cars and the LMP cars is pretty evident.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
18  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Several historic wins possible at the 2018 24 Hours of Le Mans

The exceptional field in this 86th edition and the unpredictable nature of the 24 Hours of Le Mans make it impossible to forecast who will claim the top step on the podium. In each class, history may underscore a victory on Sunday 17 June at 15:00. Here are a few of them, among many.

Several historic wins possible at the 2018 24 Hours of Le Mans

LMP1: Toyota's first victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans?

Will  Toyota finally clinch its first win on Sunday at 15:00? The top step on the podium would reward the work the marque's drivers have done since 2012 as it would also be their first: Mike Conway, Kamui Kobayashi and José María López in the #7, and  Fernando Alonso , Sébastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima in the #8. Fernando Alonso would become the first Formula 1 world champion to ever win the 24 Hours for his first participation.

LMP2: G-Drive Racing, a first Russian win?

The first Russian team to cause the Russian national anthem to be played at the Le Mans circuit was SMP Racing for its win in the LMGTE Am class. A victory for G-Drive Racing would be the first for a Russian team in LMP2. After two podium finishes in 2015 and 2016 then pole position in 2017 (as well as back-to-back titles in the European Le Mans Series in 2016 and 2017), more than ever the outfit fielding the #26 is a serious contender for the top step on the LMP2 podium.

LMGTE Pro: what's the prediction?

With 17 cars fielded by six constructors, it's difficult to imagine with any certainty who will win this class. Each competitor is highly motivated to win: Porsche , in celebration of its 70th anniversary; Corvette , to atone for the victory that slipped through its fingers in the final minutes last year; Ferrari, to win for the first time since 2014; Ford, to reach the top step on the podium after a particularly challenging 2017 edition. Where will figure the new Aston Martin Vantage GTEs or the  BMW M8 GTE making its return to the class this year? 

LMGTE Am: Patrick Dempsey, owner and winner?

In 2015, driver/actor Patrick Dempsey reached the second step on the LMGTE Am podium. Though he has limited his role as a driver, he's still involved with the team, continuing to associate his name with Porsche experts Proton Competition. For this 86th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Dempsey-Proton Racing has demonstrated impressive performance level. Perhaps Porsche will celebrate its 70th anniversary with a one-two in the two LMGTE classes like in 2013?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
19  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

A little late, end of third hour:

LMP1

5b253470ed43b.png

LMP2

5b25347242ab4.png

GT PRO

(The #68 Ford GT has since taken the GTE lead)

5b2534739ed34.png

GT AM

Kavika
Professor Principal
19.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @19    6 years ago

Zoom zoom.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
19.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @19.1    6 years ago

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
19.1.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago

Yeah, for me it was Speed Buggy, Grape Ape, Scooby Doo, The Great Race and, so many others.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
19.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago

It was, they had Penelope Pitstop as well, the girl was always in trouble.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
19.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago

Here ya go.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
20  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Fernando Alonso retakes the overall lead in the #8 Toyota vs the #7 team car.

You can see them "split" the Porsche down the straight which opened the door for the #8 car.

For those following the live feed provided earlier a similar situation occurred when a couple prototype went around a Ford GT down the straight. In that situation a fairly dangerous situation was highlighted when the Ford instantly reeled the prototypes in on the next set of turns. This can be EXTREMELY dangerous, particularly at night, when a faster prototype sets up the overtake at a turns entry point. Closing rates in these situations can play havoc with the judgement of one or both drivers, especially if the GT car is equal to or maybe faster at that instant.

Two cars could instantly be driving into the same point.

Very important for all drivers to pay strict attention to what is in front AND what is behind.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
21  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

New pit stop rules for 2018:

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
22  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Tires/Tyres/Pneus

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
23  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Standings at hour five. (While under a prolonged caution...of course right after I said it was a good race so far...)

LMP1

5b2550626a0f8.png

GTE AM

5b255066ae2bb.png

No GTE PRO or LMP2 ?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
24  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Racing has resumed.

On board with lead car #7 Toyota - LMP1

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
25  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Seventh Hour:

LMP2

5b256c83458bd.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
25.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @25    6 years ago

Still a long way to go.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
25.1.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @25.1    6 years ago

Some teams have changed up their strategies a little. Some who have been following a predetermined pace have switched to hares while some others have switched to tortoises.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
26  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Half a lap sky cam:

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
27  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

On board with Jenson Button, making quick work of some GTEs after another trip for electrical repairs to his prototype.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
28  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Out of the darkness and into the light... night driving at the 24 Hours of Le Mans

At the 24 Hours of Le Mans, night driving is a challenge that the drivers really appreciate. All alone in their cockpit, their concentration is full-on as pitch-dark sections give way to floodlit areas. Three of them have shared these rather special moments with us.

Out of the darkness and into the light... night driving at the 24 Hours of Le Mans

At night, we are even more at one with the circuit

Stéphane Richelmi, #38 Oreca

These may be magic moments but driving at night at the 24 Hours of Le Mans calls for considerable skill and no small amount of bravery. “As it is not a permanent circuit, the track is quite narrow which increases the sensation of speed. At night, we are even more at one with the circuit and we need that feeling as there are fewer visual markers,” says Stéphane Richelmi who drives the #38 Oreca 07 – Gibson for Jackie Chan DC Racing.  “It requires a great deal of concentration. We have to focus on the state of the track to detect any traces of oil as it trickier to pick them out at night,” adds Nicolas Lapierre, driver of the #36 Alpine A470 – Gibson for Signatech Alpine Matmut. The slightest dip in concentration can lead to a very nasty surprise.

There is also the issue of prototypes sharing the circuit with grand tourers. The vast differences in performance between these two types of car (up to 40 kph in terms of peak speed) makes overtaking the backmarkers something of an art. The eyes of LMGTE drivers are as fixed on their mirrors as much as the road ahead.  “When the prototypes catch up with us, their lights are so bright that it isn’t easy to tell how far behind they are. Experience counts for a lot in this respect,”  Fässler says.

59431a27bdde1.jpg

594271314c6d6.jpg

5942a0a57bea4.jpg

A number of drivers resort to traditional remedies supposed to improve night-time vision. Blueberries, for example. Others use yellow visors which sharpen contrasts. Each driver has their own little quirks to get them through the early hours of Sunday. However, when the dark of night finally gives way to the first light of day, the battle will be far from won as there are still several hours of racing to go to the chequered flag.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
29  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

12 hours done, 12 to go.

Kavika
Professor Principal
30  Kavika     6 years ago

The half way point. Night driving at those speeds has to be quite the thrill. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
30.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @30    6 years ago

Yes, I am sure. But check my reply here - 28.1.2 . Different folks react differently !

Kavika
Professor Principal
30.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @30.1    6 years ago

Couldn't see that trees at night...Well OK...LOL

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
30.1.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @30.1.1    6 years ago

True story

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
31  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Running order at the mid point:

LMP1

5b25b2d24f1df.png

GTE PRO

5b25b2d52638a.png

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
32  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Heavy off track impact at the Porsche curves. A second tier G-Drive car.

Prolonged local caution expected.

Driver is out and walked to EMS team on site. Still concern for the driver considering the impact and required barrier repair.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
33  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

19th hour running order

GTE PRO

5b261544b02c3.png

GTE AM

5b26154601831.png

LMP1

5b261541d7c44.png

LMP2

5b2615433c558.png

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
34  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Good morning. Welcome to Le Mans.

Bonjour. Bienvenue au Mans.

01:20:00 to go

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
35  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

1/2 hour to go

At the 19th hour:

GTE PRO

5b264d84a06d4.png

LMP1

5b264d81d4a08.png

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
35.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @35    6 years ago
At the 19th hour:

How about 23rd hour instead?

Kavika
Professor Principal
35.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @35.1    6 years ago

On the home stretch

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
35.1.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @35.1.1    6 years ago

In fact the chequers just flew !!!

LMP1 and Overall winner: Always the bridesmaid, never the bride - Toyota !!!!

LMP2: G-Drive

GTE Pro: Porsche - special commendation; this 911 is "Not your Fathers 911". Heck, it is not even rear engined, regardless of outward appearance. It is mid-engined which, based on rules allows for a rear ground effects diffuser, of lengths matching the other mid-engined competitors. Congratulations,

GTE AM: ...still waiting

Kavika
Professor Principal
36  Kavika     6 years ago

Finally, Toyota 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
36.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @36    6 years ago

They have been runner-up more times than any others in the history of the race. Didn't give up and finally got the win and in convincing fashion.

Not a Toy fan, but can recognize what went into their efforts and reaching this goal.

Kavika
Professor Principal
36.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @36.1    6 years ago

Not giving up is the key....Well done Toyota.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
36.1.2  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @36.1.1    6 years ago

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
37  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
38  seeder  dave-2693993    6 years ago

That concludes the 86th 24 Hours of Le Mans. 

The next FIA WEC rendez-vous will be at Silverstone on 17 August 2018.

epistte
Junior Guide
38.1  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @38    6 years ago

Thanks for the work to keep it updated. I miss being able to watch LeMans coverage on Speedvision.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
38.1.1  seeder  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @38.1    6 years ago

You are welcome. I caught a few Z's along the way.

Except for work related hotel stays, I haven't watched tv since 2008, and gave my last tv to my daughter in 2011 when she moved out. I told her I bought it for her. Go ahead and take it.