╌>

San Francisco allows non-citizens to vote in school elections

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  6 years ago  •  65 comments

San Francisco allows non-citizens to vote in school elections

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

170306_CampusImmigrationedit.jpg

San Francisco has started registering undocumented immigrants and other non-citizens to vote in the city’s school board elections, according to reports.

The move has also been approved in Chicago and several other cities in Maryland and Massachusetts.

“We want to give immigrants the right to vote,” San Francisco supervisor   Norman Yee told KGO .

The decision was the result of a 2016 ballot measure handed down by local voters — which opened school elections to city residents over the age of 18 who aren’t US citizens, so long as they have children in school system.

“As a parent myself and a former member of the SF Board of Education it is critical that the voices of all parents are at the table particularly those that have historically been denied a voice in the process,” said Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer of District 1.

“This is no-brainer legislation,” supervisor Hillary Ronen   told the San Francisco Chronicle . “Why would we not want our parents invested in the education of their children?”

Republican leaders, however, blasted the idea.

“The reason I voted against it is that I think the right to vote is something that goes along with citizenship and should be,” said Harmeet Dhillon, who serves on the Republican National Committee.

The measure allowing non-citizen voting went into effect on Monday. It reportedly expires in 2022, but could be renewed by the board of supervisors. Some believe it will be used to target people coming into the country illegally

“Our immigrants, are they vulnerable? Absolutely,” Fewer  told the San Francisco Examiner . “But in San Francisco we stand strong together.”

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

The undoing of our democracy has begun. All of CA will eventually allow illegal alien voting and it will eventually, hopefully be up to the SCOTUS to act on this transgression.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    6 years ago
All of CA will eventually allow illegal alien voting and it will eventually, hopefully be up to the SCOTUS to act on this transgression.

Oooo, the old slippery slope argument...

302735_3858285211378_1744654457_n.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    6 years ago

Slippery slope is a valid argument.

Look at the PPACA.

It is what Democrats passed. But now many of them claim it is just a precursor to a Medicare-for-all plan. In other words, they passed it knowing and planning for something else all along.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
1.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    6 years ago
But now many of them claim it is just a precursor to a Medicare-for-all plan.

I hope you can provide at least an speck of evidence for that being the "plan" or that is what "now many of them claim" it was meant to be a "precursor."  During the health care debate in Congress liberals were pushing hard for the Medicare-for-All plan or at least the "option" for Medicare (I believe just for lowering the eligibility age to 55 rather than the current 65).  "Moderate" Dems in the Senate torpedoed all that--first in a misguided and predictably futile attempt to lure just one "moderate" R to vote for it (aimed primarily at the two ME senators, Collins and Snowe--who to no one's surprise played Max Baucus along and then backed off).  Dems could have passed the Medicare for All bill then but Obama settled and let Baucus run the show.  So, what I remember is that with time, the liberals whose wishes were ignored felt they needed to go along with half a loaf with the hope that the PPACA might eventually give way to Medicare for All.  There is really nothing about the PPACA that would make it a "precursor," i.e. something that could be modified somewhat into a complete Medicare for All plan.  It was a private insurance based "product" all the way so it would have had to have been scrapped completely and replaced.  In fact, I believe your Scumbag often promised something very much like that:  Health insurance for everyone that would be cheaper and better than anything we have now.  What happened to that promise? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.2    6 years ago

The next big thing for Democrats: Medicare for all - The ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2018/04/19/the...

When the Affordable Care Act was being created in 2009, many liberals who weren’t too excited about the form it was taking hoped that eventually it could evolve into something more to their liking.
Democrats Fought For 25 Years Over Single-Payer. Now Many ...
www.ibtimes.com › National

With Democrats rushing to support Bernie Sanders’ Medicare-For-All bill, the party’s health care policy fight may finally be resolved. Here’s a timeline of their long, internal struggle.
For Democrats, expanding Medicare is the new normal
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2017/9/14/1698358/-For-Democrats...

Campaign Action. The default healthcare reform position for Democrats is now expanding public health programs like Medicare or Medicaid until, eventually, we've transitioned to a full single payer health system in the United States.
4 reasons why Democrats should support Medicare for all ...
thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthcare/341522-4-reasons-why...

Medicare for all would be a lot easier to explain to the public than either Clinton's or Obama’s Affordable Care Act. The Clinton and Obama proposals were incredibly complex. The bill the Clintons sent to

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.1    6 years ago
Look at the PPACA.

Amazing!  What a deflection!!  They passed the PPACA, so by your logic we all now have Medicare for all???

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.3    6 years ago

The next big thing for Democrats: Medicare for all - The ...

The problem with your claim is that nowhere does it indicate that PPACA will transform into Medicare for all. 

Keep in mind that when Medicare for all was brought up during the Obamacare debates, 80%+ American citizens wanted it as an option instead of what they got, it was only the filibustering GOP that refused to even allow it to be offered.

Junior Participates
1.2.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.3    6 years ago
When the Affordable Care Act was being created in 2009, many liberals who weren’t too excited about the form it was taking hoped that eventually it could evolve into something more to their liking.

Oh, I see.  Going to the tried-and-true bait-and-switch now, are we?  First you just feed back to me exactly the point I made and pretend your telling me something I didn't just say.  That's not exactly dishonest but sure is lazy as shit.  But then you link to a 2018 article as if it somehow backs up your false narrative that this proves some imaginary thing you think happened in 2009.   Of course, the Medicare-for-All is still alive and well--even more so now that Scumbag is proving the lie to his promise to come up with "insurance for everyone and cheaper" by sabotaging the PPACA when he failed to abolish it.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2.4    6 years ago

I didn't say that we have Medicare for all. You aren't paying attention.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.6    6 years ago

You asked, I provided.

It isn't any concern of mine what you do with information you request when it is supplied to you.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.9  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ozzwald @1.2    6 years ago

It's beyond that - CA law dosen't allow non-citizens to vote at all!   I suspect they are voting out there already

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

All across the EU, non-citizens (but citizens of other EU countries) are allowed to vote in local/municipal elections.

It's what is done in civilized places....

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.2  96WS6  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago

That is EXACTLY one of the reasons the EU is so fucked up right now.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  96WS6 @2.2    6 years ago
That is EXACTLY one of the reasons the EU is so fucked up right now.

No.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.2.2  96WS6  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.1    6 years ago

Nice rebuttal.  How telling that's all you've got. LMFAO!

Junior Participates
2.2.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @2.2.2    6 years ago
Nice rebuttal.  How telling that's all you've got. LMFAO!

It was every bit as good as your completely unsupported claim.  Why don't you try again? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago

Nonsense, the USA accept more new immigrants than any other country in the world.    Every year and to this day.   All of whom can earn the same rights as any other legal citizen.   

As you know we have several cool little documents which guarantee such things.   Like the Constitution and Bill of Rights, that afford legal citizens and States certain rights that non citizens and non States don't have and as previously noted, affords all those legal immigrants a legal path to earn the same rights as any other legal US citizen.  

Yeah, how uncouth, how uncivilized .....

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @2.3    6 years ago
Like the Constitution and Bill of Rights, that afford legal citizens and States certain rights that non citizens and non States don't have...

No.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.3.1    6 years ago

Yes

Junior Participates
2.3.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sparty On @2.3    6 years ago
Nonsense, the USA accept more new immigrants than any other country in the world.

Not even close when relative to total population. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.4  Sparty On  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.3.3    6 years ago

So what?   That doesn't change my comment.    Besides, look how well that's working out for some other countries.   One related news item i heard just this morning is that Canada "misplaced" about 50,000 Syrian refugees.   No idea where they're at.

That's a fine example of a great immigration program which likely accepts more immigrant per capita than us ..... yah you betcha eh!   Bring on the back-bacon.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    6 years ago

Let's just throw out the word "Citizen". Eye Roll

I guess Trump was right all along. Thumbs Up 2

"The federal government is allowing illegal immigrants to flow into the U.S. so they can vote, Donald Trump alleged without evidence,"

The evidence is right here in this article:

"San Francisco has started registering undocumented immigrants and other non-citizens to vote in the city’s school board elections, according to reports.
The move has also been approved in Chicago and several other cities in Maryland and Massachusetts."

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

The way things are going there, I may get to vote in America yet.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago

In local elections in California

Meanwhile citizens are being deprived of the vote in Red states.

Do you see a pattern?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to    6 years ago

Not "hinting".

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.3  96WS6  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1    6 years ago
Meanwhile citizens are being deprived of the vote in Red states.

Total bullshit,  How abut some evidence?  Oh right.  You have none.

FYI preventing ILLEGALS from voting is EXPECTED in MOST states.  

Gee any wonder why Trump lost the "popular vote"?Eye Roll

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  96WS6 @4.1.3    6 years ago

If you want to deny reality, that's fine with me.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.5  96WS6  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1.4    6 years ago

Still waiting for your proof of your "reality".

Junior Participates
4.1.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  96WS6 @4.1.3    6 years ago
Total bullshit,

Oh?

[not a voter ID law but having the same vote suppression effect]

Shall I go on?

bugsy
Professor Participates
5  bugsy    6 years ago

I am about to propose a radical idea and I am curious as to how our liberal friends on here will respond s/

Liberals want undocumented aliens to be able to vote in our elections, essentially upsetting the balance this country has enjoyed for 200 years. If liberals are so concerned about illegal immigrant rights, why don't they travel to the countries where these people are from and promote there what they think are injustices here?

Liberals can go back to how they were decades ago and actually believed in equality, voter's rights, injustice in government and push that agenda in other countries.

Think about it. If liberals would use their resources to improve other countries, give the citizens there a reason to stay and fight for their own lifestyle, then the illegal population here will drop and out taxes can be used exclusively for American citizens and those that actually came here legally.

Now, I do understand that by doing this, democrats will lose potentially millions of new votes, but no one can argue, with a straight mind, that this country would not be better for it.

Who knows, maybe some of those that liberals help in their own countries will come here legally one day, and because they would remember how liberals and democrats helped them in their own countries, thy want to return the favor by voting democrat.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  bugsy @5    6 years ago
Liberals want undocumented aliens to be able to vote in our elections

No.

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.1  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    6 years ago

Allowing non citizens to vote in our elections, any election, is simply opening the door for future allowances of the undocumented to vote. Democrats and liberals are not (cough) stupid (cough) to let their true plans out of the bag right away. They know that going under the radar for a few cycles is the way to go.

I notice you did not respond to my proposal. Is it because you know I am right when I say that democrats would lose millions of votes, and that is what scares you the most?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  bugsy @5.1.1    6 years ago
Is it because...

No.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.1.3  1ofmany  replied to  bugsy @5.1.1    6 years ago
Allowing non citizens to vote in our elections, any election, is simply opening the door for future allowances of the undocumented to vote.

If the loons in California think that illegal aliens should be able to vote now, why should I believe that they would have prevented illegal aliens from voting before? 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
5.1.4  96WS6  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    6 years ago

Yes

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.1.5  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.2    6 years ago

deleted

Junior Participates
5.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @5    6 years ago
Liberals want undocumented aliens to be able to vote in our elections,

You say you want liberals to comment and then you immediately start the next paragraph with that blatant lie.  You can't even hide the corrupt nature of your purpose long enough to describe it.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.1  bugsy  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2    6 years ago

5.1.1 was an explanation of how liberals want to get to my comment in 5.

I understand reading more than one comment can confuse you. Sorry for doing so.

Junior Participates
5.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @5.2.1    6 years ago
5.1.1 was an explanation of how liberals want to get to my comment in 5.

So, still a lie then. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2.2    6 years ago

Calling it a lie does not make it so. How about showing where it is a lie, with facts, and not just your opinion.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
7  96WS6    6 years ago

Hey don't worry about the obvious negative effects this will have on the country.  It's all about building the constituent base!/s

We will fix it after we gain power back./sdevil

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
8  1ofmany    6 years ago

The Russians “meddled” in our election to expose Hillary rigging her primary and the DNC colluding with the media. Democrats ignored what Hillary did and focused on the hack insisted. Now they openly register illegal aliens to vote so that foreigners who sneak into the country illegally can directly meddle in our elections by actually voting. Not only are Democrats demonstrating that they’re completely batshit crazy, but they’re also providing Republicans and Trump with a powerful talking point in their re-election campaigns. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.1  bugsy  replied to  1ofmany @8    6 years ago

The ads that Republicans can run this year, and are already running this year that shows the lunacy of the left will certainly bring a red wave. Just like the 16 election, many democrats will run away from the liberal batshit crazy base and vote for someone a little closer to their beliefs.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
8.1.1  1ofmany  replied to  bugsy @8.1    6 years ago

Democrats couldn’t do a better job to get Trump re-elected if he paid them to do it. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
8.2  96WS6  replied to  1ofmany @8    6 years ago

All true but the batshit crazy folks don't look at it that way.  If you ask me Maxine has let the "genie" out of the box and they know they can't get it back in so they are embracing it to their own detriment.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
8.2.1  1ofmany  replied to  96WS6 @8.2    6 years ago

Maxine Waters is more like a fart than a genie. Reach for the air freshener. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
8.2.2  96WS6  replied to  1ofmany @8.2.1    6 years ago

A fart for sure , the sad part is the amount of stench following her around wafting after her.

Junior Participates
8.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  1ofmany @8    6 years ago
The Russians “meddled” in our election to expose Hillary rigging her primary and the DNC colluding with the media.

Thank you for so openly supporting a foreign government's success at rigging an election.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.3.1  bugsy  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.3    6 years ago

He did not say the Russians rigged the election, he said they exposed Hillary rigging the DNC primary and that the Russians MEDDLED with the election. Nobody is disputing the meddling.

Let me ask you this. If you guys say the Russians caused such a big hoopla as you believe, would you be OK with a Russian citizen living in the US legally voting in our election. If you say yes, you are a hypocrite. If you say no, then you have no basis for the argument you guys have been spewing for 2 years.

Choose your answer wisely.

Junior Participates
8.3.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @8.3.1    6 years ago
He did not say the Russians rigged the election, he said they exposed Hillary rigging the DNC primary and that the Russians MEDDLED with the election. Nobody is disputing the meddling.

Thank you for revealing that you support foreign meddling and criminal interference in our elections. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.3.3  bugsy  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.3.2    6 years ago

Good God, yet another projection. How about showing where I did what you accuse. Sorry to say, but if you can't contribute to any conversation, then maybe you need to move along.

Junior Participates
8.3.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @8.3.3    6 years ago
Good God, yet another projection. How about showing where I did what you accuse. Sorry to say, but if you can't contribute to any conversation, then maybe you need to move along.

It's understandable that you'd be upset at having your false narrative slapped down and would like nothing better than for me to go away but I'm afraid I just can't let you get off that easy.  Maybe you need to stop shilling for a Scumbag of a president in his effort to keep colluding with Russia to undermine the thug dictator of that country's effort to undermine our elections.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.3.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.3.4    6 years ago

Off topic again.