╌>

Building the Dream Home - The Last in a Long Line of Homes

Category:  Other

By:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  52 comments

Building the Dream Home - The Last in a Long Line of Homes

So, I've started thinking about my final home (well, at least while I'm still breathing in and out) and planning on having it built to spec.  Looking for approx. 3000 square feet, 3 beds, 2 bath, open floor plan, fireplace, porch (big enough to use for relaxation), garage (3+), single floor (my current house is 3 stories), as I'm eventually going to enjoy doing stairs less.

I prefer a stone exterior, though none of these things are set in stone (yeah, I just did that) - I will adjust if I see things that I like......

So, your job, if you are willing to accept it, are to post some floor plans that you like, which might be able to give me some ideas......I like open floor plans, and I want a large master suite that has closet space and a bathroom of it's own......got it?  Okay, Go!

This one is far too 'cramped', but just using it as an example.....

Interior Plan.gif

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  author  Spikegary    6 years ago

I like a roomy kitchen also....I like to cook and need counter space.......

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago

I have been looking at home plans from a company called Yellowstone Log Homes and I like what I see. Large selection of homes in all sizes with roomy interiors. prices are not bad either.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.1  author  Spikegary  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    6 years ago

Cool!

Links and pictures are welcome!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.1    6 years ago

www.Yellowstoneloghomes.com. Many of their floor plans are available on their web site and for $10.00, you can get a book containing all their models and floor plans as well as prices for all the materials.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.1.3  author  Spikegary  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1.2    6 years ago

Sweet!  Thanks, Ed!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Spikegary @1.1.3    6 years ago

My pleasure.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago

Having designed a home for my parents (I once considered architecture as a profession) I do have some ideas, and I hope you will accept a few comments about the floor plan you provided.

1. I would reverse the order and walk through a master bedroom closet to access the bathroom - it's a privacy issue.

2. I would provide access to the powder room from the front hall rather than through the dining room.

3. Although you have access into the garage, I think a secondary access to the outside would be desirable, perhaps through the utility room, or with a slightly different plan to a terrace off the the dining/kitchen area to access an outdoor barbecue.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

Our current house is our 3rd retirement home...LOL...Can't quite stop moving. 

It's right at 3,000 sf and is an open design. 3 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths, 2 story. 2 1/2 stall garage and a rustic look...Log exterior and a view of Table Rock Lake on a acre. 

You can buy it for $525,000....LOL...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

When you find that perfect floor plan, let me know. Coz when I win the lottery I'm tearing down the house I live in (everything but the deck) and starting over. My house is too confining because it's not an open floor plan and my kitchen sucks.

So we did we buy it? 3 acres of wooded land that's why

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1  author  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    6 years ago

I hear you.....I've got my eye on a 21 acre horse ranch.......for several reasons.....but it's also got space....and a pond, way back by the woodline........

There are lots of great floor plans my lady has been sending me from Pinterest......

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @3.1    6 years ago

Would you keep the horses? Do you ride?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.2  author  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    6 years ago

My lady's daughter is studying Equine Farm Management, graduating in the spring.  Might be a way to start er in business and let her build a name.   would be willing to work, I have ridden, but I'm not what one would call....'good' at it......

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @3.1.2    6 years ago

I remember you saying that about your gf's daughter.

I was raised on a farm but horses scare me. We never had horses just pigs, cows, and lambs.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.3    6 years ago

Horses and horse flies bite, lol.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.5  author  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.3    6 years ago

Harder to ride those......LOL

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.6  author  Spikegary  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.4    6 years ago

Yeah, but the rewards on the other hand.......

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3.1.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Split Personality @3.1.4    6 years ago

They make a concentrate , permectrin 2, mix with water to desired strength, takes care of all sorts of flying , biting creepy crawlies including spiders, that is what I use around my place , around the wood pile I mix it "hot" and don't have to worry about bringing bugs in with the wood. neighbor keeps livestock right next door , the associated bugs don't come over here , and it has a 2-3 week residule effect, oh and no skeeters either.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.8  author  Spikegary  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @3.1.7    6 years ago

No skeeters either?  Okay, that much better!

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
3.2  GaJenn78  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    6 years ago

I think a lot of people look at kitchens when they buy. We bought our house coming from an apartment, I saw the size of our kitchen and I was sold!!! UH..... except I have no counter space or cabinet space. I will know better when we buy again, but I was 26, WTH did I know? I just knew the kitchen was bigger than what I last time LOL

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  GaJenn78 @3.2    6 years ago

LOL...sounds like me! My next home will probably be a very small house or an apartment. We don't want a lot of upkeep in our retirement years.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
3.2.2  GaJenn78  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.1    6 years ago

My next kitchen will be HUGE with lots of counter and cabinet space!!! LOL 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  GaJenn78 @3.2.2    6 years ago

I plan on eating out a lot when I move into my next home. LOL!

My kids are all grown up and out of the house and I don't think I'll be gifted with grandchildren

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.2.4  author  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.3    6 years ago

My kitchen currently is pretty large, 10 foot ceilings, problem?  Top set of cabinets requires a ladder to get there.....or me climbing up on the counter (doesn't that sound like disaster is written all over that?)

kitchen 1.jpg

Kitchen 2.jpg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @3.2.4    6 years ago

That sound like the farm house I grew up in. My mother was short (5'2") and was constantly pulling a chair over to get stuff out of the top cabinets

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Spikegary @3.2.4    6 years ago

When we were house-hunting, my ex thought I was unreasonable to pass up a house that he liked, which had a small kitchen and only 3 cabinets that I could reach without a ladder.  Um, tough, babe.  I do the cooking, I pick the kitchen.  Too bad about your man cave.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    6 years ago

My wife and I are going the opposite route. DOWN SIZING time with bigger family outdoor gathering space. 

Home 1_07252018.jpg Home 2_07252018.jpg

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1  author  Spikegary  replied to  It Is ME @4    6 years ago

Nice-the property I'm looking at is a bit over 21 acres and has a pond, which will be a central 'viewing point' in my mind, with plenty of space for kids and grandbabies......building will likely be in the back of the property well away from the road.  Of course, the plan would be to pass it on to family someday......

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Spikegary @4.1    6 years ago

I've been VERY interested in the "Outdoor" aspects for our last home. Acreage, Acreage, Acreage. Outdoors is our theme now. Our Kids and their kids have spent waaaaaaay to much time "IN" our home now. My wife and I actually started THIS commercials message a few years back.

No Electronics allowed when you visit us for the day !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    6 years ago

PLUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grandkids are GREAT and LOVE the outside !!!

No need for their parents to mess that up when they come to OUR house. It's OUTSIDE and tumble time here ! thumbs up

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
4.1.3  GaJenn78  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    6 years ago

I love that! It's my rule when we go out as a family to eat. We don't always eat dinner at the same time, but when we do, I'm always telling them, no computer, no phones, no ipods..... we chill together damnit! LOL

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  GaJenn78 @4.1.3    6 years ago

Exactly ! thumbs up

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friend SpikeGary: When it happens, I know it will be a blessing to you and all who dwell and visit therein.

E.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1  author  Spikegary  replied to  Enoch @5    6 years ago

Thank you, my friend....giving up the 'mansion' will be a sad day, but it is just way too big, especially as my knees get older.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Spikegary @5.1    6 years ago

Dear Friend Spikegary: Let me know when I need to learn a new route for Mrs. E. and me to travel to you.

We will, of course get together long before then.

E.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1.2  author  Spikegary  replied to  Enoch @5.1.1    6 years ago

One certainly hopes!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1.3  Enoch  replied to  Spikegary @5.1.2    6 years ago

Dear Freind Spikegary: Am headed across the street now.

SK, my neighbor and I are making our annual pilgrimage to Dwyer Stadium for a Muckdogs - Staten Island Yankees game.

Please check on the internet. using key words, Batavia Muckdogs Home Game Schedule 2018 for one or more dates good for you.

Let me know by private email.

We really should grab dinner, and then catch a game this summer. 

The North Side Deli is close by the stadium.

They bake their own rolls daily. Fresh cut veggies. etc.

I will bring a seeing eye dog for the Umpire.

Winks.

Enoch.  

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1.4  Enoch  replied to  Enoch @5.1.3    6 years ago

Dear Friend SpikeGary: 07/26/2018.

Final score. Staten Island Yankees 6. Batavia Muckdogs 5.

This I blame on climate change!

Anyway, we finished in second place today.

Staten Island next to last. 

I call that a victory of sorts.

Smiles.

Enoch, Cleaning Mustard Stains Off My Team Shirt From the Seventh Inning Stretch Mandatory Tail of the Pup and Microbrew Feast. 

Dulay
Professor Guide
7  Dulay    6 years ago

One thing I recommend for a 'ranch/farm' house is a large mudroom with a ton of storage and a shower. We had one like that on my Great Grandfather's dairy farm and it kept us from 'barning' up the house. 

Secondly, I rented a home many years back that had radiant heat and I highly recommend it, especially if you like in a 4 season region. Our feet were never cold and there were no 'cold spots' in the house. 

A friend of mine built a 2 bedroom 'retirement' home and installed 2 'cabins' elsewhere on the property for family and friends to stay in when visiting. They were happy they did because it retained their 'private empty nest' while allowing for the 'kids and grandkids' to visit.  

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    6 years ago

Building new. Sounds like fun. Ha.

I am not sure where you are but here there are no basements. Being on the coast and by waterways the water table is to high. So none of our house plans would have that in mind.

My house before the one I am in now, I loved. It was built in I believe 1918. Huge rooms with 14ft high ceilings, beautiful old wood floors. An additional great room was added on to the back right off the kitchen that was all windows. Even though we were basically down town it was secluded off a one lane road. A small bamboo Forrest on the sides for privacy and the back was wooded with a stream running through it.

If you look at the Biloxi lighthouse, it was right north of there.

Sadly it was destroyed by Katrina. Only one wall remained standing, the wall in the front living room with the original fire place. Flood water and winds took it down. The land is now a park with a boardwalk type walking trail across it. Funny, the old victorian house that was right across the street from me (to the north) was left intact.

My sister built a house after Katrina. All the exterior walls were built with 2 x 6 lumber instead of typical 2 x 4 with hurricane straps at every joint on the roof line.

The house I am in now is a typical ranch home. Boring.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @8    6 years ago

The next time I'm in Biloxi I'm going to look for that. I know exactly where the light house is

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1    6 years ago

I was right there ha. 

If you see the house that is still standing in the middle of Bolton, my house was to the south of it it, directly across.

Dulay
Professor Guide
9  Dulay    6 years ago

th7P49QSC9.jpg

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
9.1  author  Spikegary  replied to  Dulay @9    6 years ago

Very nice also.  We are thinking more garage space (as I have toys and she will want some garage space also......)

PJ
Masters Quiet
10  PJ    6 years ago

house picture.png

1824NewTidelandHaven_REV_F1.jpg

Bedrooms:3 actual,3 possible
Baths:3 full,1 half
Floors:1
Garage:0
Foundations:Pole/Pier
Master Location:Main Floor
Laundry Location:Main Floor
Fireplaces:1

KITCHEN FEATURES
Open Layout, Snack, Island
MASTER SUITE FEATURES
Private Toilet, Dual Sink, Shower, Tub, Walk-in Closet, Porch
ADDITIONAL FEATURES
Fireplace, Porch
SQUARE FOOTAGE

Main Floor:2622
Total Heated Square Footage:2622
Rear Porch:131
DIMENSIONS
80'- 10" W x 57'- 2" D x 23"- 0" H
PLATE HEIGHTS
Main Floor:9.0'
Upper Floor:'
CONSTRUCTION
Ext. Wall Construction:2x6
Roof Framing:Stick

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
10.1  author  Spikegary  replied to  PJ @10    6 years ago

I like that.  We are talking about having open useable space as opposed to a sepearated dining room, as, unless you are planning on doing formal enbtertaining, it is basically wasted space.  Using an open floor plan, if we need to set up a 'dinner' we can always get tables to use.....currently my dining room is used as office space for one of the organizarions I'm the treasurer of-no one ever eats there.......

PJ
Masters Quiet
10.1.1  PJ  replied to  Spikegary @10.1    6 years ago

Yeah - formal dining rooms don't seem as necessary.  I'm more of an open space and outdoor living space person.  Wrap around deck and screened in porch are my ideal space.  To be nestled or backed up to woods with a running brook nearby and mountains....need I say more.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  PJ @10    6 years ago

I love that private porch off the master suite.

PJ
Masters Quiet
10.2.1  PJ  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.2    6 years ago

I know, me too.  I would camp out on that porch.  It would be my happy quiet place.