╌>

Nike Loses $3.75 Billion in Market Cap After Colin Kaepernick Named Face of ‘Just Do It’ Ads

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  96ws6  •  6 years ago  •  187 comments

Nike Loses $3.75 Billion in Market Cap After Colin Kaepernick Named Face of ‘Just Do It’ Ads
JUST BLEW IT!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Nike just lost about $3.75 billion in market cap after announcing free agent NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick as the new face of its “Just Do It” ad campaign. It’s the 30th anniversary of the iconic TV and print spots.

At the time of this writing, the sneaker company’s intra-day market capitalization was $127.82 billion. On Friday, that number had been $131.57 billion.

Market capitalization is the market value of a publicly traded company’s outstanding shares.

Shares of NKE stock dropped about 4 percent on Tuesday morning, as #NikeBoycott has been trending on Twitter. The company’s valuation has since recovered a bit.

We chose a 5-day snapshot of NKE stock so viewers can see the fall comparing Labor Day Weekend’s “before” and “after”:

NKE stock

Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.  #JustDoIt pic.twitter.com/SRWkMIDdaO

— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7)   September 3, 2018

Despite not playing a professional down of football since 2016, Kaepernick has remained a Nike athlete as the company continued to pay him, according to ESPN reporter  Darren Rovell .

The ad hits on the protests Kaepernick started in 2016, when he began kneeling during the National Anthem before NFL games as a means of raising awareness and protesting racial inequality in America, and the shooting deaths of unarmed black men, women and children by police officers.

The number of NFL players taking up the protest and kneeling during the anthem has dwindled as the league has attempted to curtail the issue.

The protests created a firestorm in the media and among football fans. President Donald Trump made the protests one of his main issues on Twitter, saying that players who kneel during the national anthem  should be fired .

Kaepernick, who led the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2013, brought a lawsuit against the NFL, accusing the league of colluding to keep him from being signed by any NFL team. Last week a court issued him a preliminary win in his case, essentially granting a full hearing on the dispute, according to  The New York Times , despite the NFL’s efforts to sweep the issue under the rug.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nike-loses-3-75-billion-150241411.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

96WS6
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  96WS6    6 years ago

"Just Blew it"  LMAO!   When will these morinic companies learn to keep their political opinions to themselves?

Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.

I think it would be great if this came to pass.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  96WS6 @1    6 years ago

Holy shit! Did Nike's PR department get it right over you? Who would have thought... (aside from me).

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.3  Old Hermit  replied to  96WS6 @1    6 years ago

"Just Blew it"  LMAO!   When will these morinic companies learn to keep their political opinions to themselves?

Well, looks like real Americans have spoken with their pocket books and have made it very clear what they truly fell about Kaepernick and his cause.

logo.png

How much has Nike’s Colin Kaepernick ad campaign affected its bottom dollar? The figure is stunning. 180919-nike-ad-sold-out-items-02.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1

Nike faced intense backlash in the days immediately following the announcement that NFL Colin Kapernick would be the face of its new “Just Do It” advertising campaign.

Now, just weeks after the announcement, Nike is counting dividends directly related to the ad campaign in the billions of dollars.
How much has Nike made?

Since the announcement on Labor Day, Nike stock has surged 5 percent, adding a whopping $6 billion to the company’s market value , according to CBS News. That’s after Nike’s stock initially fell 3 percent after the announcement.

Overall, Nike’s stock is up 36 percent on the year, making it the highest performing company on the Dow Jones Industrial index 30 blue-chip stocks .

The stock closed at $85.55 a share on Friday.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    6 years ago

How long before Rump intervenes?

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.1  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

I smell a tariff LOL!

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    6 years ago

I'm happy I bought a different brand of shoes last week

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    6 years ago

I'm a "Converse" kinda guy. Old School. Thumbs Up 2

Oh.....and "Crocks" are great for the feet. I even have "ORANGE". My wife thinks it's silly.good one

Back to "Nike" though.....what a bone head move on their part.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @4    6 years ago

I'm from even an older school......KEDS.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @4    6 years ago

I love my Chuck Taylors ..... grew up using them but now they are relegated to the "going for retro" look.   Plenty of other good choice that are better workout/running shows.

I like me some" New Balance" cross trainers.   Thats the last several pairs i've bought.   Thank god my Nike golf shoes are just about done ..... well they are for sure done now .... winking

That said most all of them are made in sweatshops.   Many of which provide the best living possible for many people, in many countries.   A lot of folks forget the economic realities in much of the world.   Our current minimum wage is a kings ransom in many places in the world.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Sunshine  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    6 years ago
I like me some" New Balance" cross trainers.  

Friend of mine introduced me to New Balance many years ago.  They fit very nice, comfy, and well made for my fat feet.  I am an avid walker and have had several pairs since.

Last week my grandson started his first practice for tag football and he was wearing a brand new pair of Nike cleats his father bought for him.  I have to admit they looked very cool.  Would look better in the trash can.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    6 years ago
That said most all of them are made in sweatshops.   Many of which provide the best living possible for many people, in many countries.   A lot of folks forget the economic realities in much of the world.   Our current minimum wage is a kings ransom in many places in the world.

Exactly.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
4.2.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    6 years ago
I love my Chuck Taylors

So did I.  When my first pair finally fell apart after 25 years, I immediately got a new pair which barely lasted 5.  I think I know why.  

Junior Participates
4.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    6 years ago
Our current minimum wage is a kings ransom in many places in the world.

Well, our standard of living is regal compared to those places as well.  Think their might be a connection?  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.3    6 years ago

You were more of a badass 25 years later?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.4    6 years ago

Nice job, you worked “regal” into a NT conversation.    

One kewpie doll for you

Junior Participates
4.2.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.5    6 years ago
You were more of a badass 25 years later?

Oh, yeah jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Junior Participates
4.2.8  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sparty On @4.2.6    6 years ago
Nice job, you worked “regal” into a NT conversation.

Only because you gave me the opportunity.  How 'bout my question, though? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.2.9  Sparty On  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.8    6 years ago

I have a theory about that based on my real world experience the last 40+ year in the workforce but you won’t agree with it so it’s really pointless to share with you I suppose.

That said, my theory is based on real empirical data, albeit small subset of my experience only but its empirical data just the same.    Of a dwindling desire to work to get ahead.

Eg: many today expect to make a living wage working a “first job” like flipping burgers.    No one expected that until just recently.

I can’t find enough capable people willing to work hard to get ahead.    That’s no ones fault but their own.    The jobs are there and I know it’s not just my business.  So ...... SOL goes down steadily out of a lack of desire and/or low motivation.     It’s really not that tough to understand viewing it In that manner.

PS ..... look at you Chuck Taylor badass.    Your arches must be trashed by now.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6  Sunshine    6 years ago

Puleeeeeze.....dickwad didn't sacrifice shit.

The face should be an American soldier.

GregTx
PhD Guide
7  GregTx    6 years ago

Rather mind blowing that a multibillion dollar corporation that pays children in Asia pennies on the dollar to make their overpriced crap would attempt to market some type of moral compass.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
7.1  seeder  96WS6  replied to  GregTx @7    6 years ago

EXACTLY!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  GregTx @7    6 years ago
pays children in Asia pennies on the dollar to make their overpriced crap

Ah yea, the deflect and distract brigade has arrived! Let's just ignore the fact that there are huge racial disparities in our criminal justice system, they're just to hard to fix, so lets focus on how I feel about someone kneeling during the anthem or how Nike uses overseas manufacturing! /s

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
7.3.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to    6 years ago
What are these big problems with the judicial system please be specific I don't want democrat talking points

See 1.1.2

GregTx
PhD Guide
7.3.3  GregTx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @7.3    6 years ago

I don't see where I suggested we ignore ANY disparities in our Justice system nor that they couldn't be fixed. Hell, I can't even find where I gave an opinion on someone kneeling during the anthem. I did however comment on the irony of Nike, whose morals in business seem nonexistent attempting to market some.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.3.5  Skrekk  replied to  GregTx @7.3.3    6 years ago
I don't see where I suggested we ignore ANY disparities in our Justice system nor that they couldn't be fixed.

And yet that's exactly what Trump and conservatives are trying to do when they condemn these protests.   Their faux patriotism and manufactured outrage are obvious to anyone who isn't a racist.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.3.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Kathleen @7.3.4    6 years ago
You seem to be ignoring the labor they are using paying and working these women so unfairly. 

Missed the beginning of this conversation, are we talking about Ivanka's clothing line being made by children in China???  Or are you complaining about something else?

GregTx
PhD Guide
7.3.7  GregTx  replied to  Skrekk @7.3.5    6 years ago

What about the consumers that condemn these protests, are they lumped in there as well?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.3.9  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @7.3.6    6 years ago

The beginning of the conversation is right there for you to read. No need at all to "miss" anything!

Junior Participates
7.3.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    6 years ago
What are these big problems with the judicial system please be specific I don't want democrat talking points.

Then how 'bout republican "talking points:"

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.4  Freefaller  replied to  GregTx @7    6 years ago
would attempt to market some type of moral compass.

Lol the moral aspect of this move is obviously a ruse and a PR move, companies do things for only one reason and that is for profit.  No one should be fooled by this campaign, I guarantee they did studies and came to the conclusion that in the long run this move would provide greater profits, if studies indicated otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8  1stwarrior    6 years ago

money.jpg

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1  Sunshine  replied to  1stwarrior @8    6 years ago

Like to see what happens if they take a knee against Nike.

Will dickwad share his millions with these oppressed women?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Sunshine @8.1    6 years ago
Like to see what happens if they take a knee against Nike.

Yet you totally ignore other abuses.  I don't believe anyone should be able to use what is basically slave labor, do you???

Here Are Some Photos Of The Chinese Factory Where Ivanka Trump Shoes Are Made

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  Sunshine  replied to  Ozzwald @8.1.1    6 years ago
Yet you totally ignore other abuses. 

I do?  Been having a few wine coolers?  Perhaps your eyes are a bit too blurry.  The seed is not about Ivanka.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Sunshine @8.1.2    6 years ago
The seed is not about Ivanka.

It's not about factory workers either, but that didn't stop you, did it???

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1.4  Sunshine  replied to  Ozzwald @8.1.3    6 years ago

If Ivanka's business concerns you so much, do a seed. I will be happy to comment on it.

Can you handle that?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
8.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Sunshine @8.1.4    6 years ago

If Ivanka's business concerns you so much, do a seed. I will be happy to comment on it.

Can you handle that?

If foreign factory worker's concern you so much, do a seed. I will be happy to comment on it.

Can you handle that?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1.6  Sunshine  replied to  Ozzwald @8.1.5    6 years ago

I see you can't

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.2  It Is ME  replied to  1stwarrior @8    6 years ago

But ....... Colin and company are oppressed too !

Junior Participates
8.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  1stwarrior @8    6 years ago

I hope your righteous (and appropriate) indignation for Nike's foreign workers means you're telling us you never buy any consumer products  made in foreign sweat shops.   Because if it (the indignation) is selective only to manufacturers who've offended your politics that would be the very definition of sanctimonious hypocrisy.   

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
9  Sunshine    6 years ago

ColinKaepernick0110800x416.jpg

Dulay
Professor Expert
11  Dulay    6 years ago

Nike Inc

NYSE: NKE · September 5, 3:17 PM EDT
▲ 0.33 (0.41%)

High 82.95 on Aug 21, 2018
Low 50.83 on Oct 12, 2017
Avg 66.42 for past 1 year

96WS6
Junior Quiet
11.1  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Dulay @11    6 years ago

What does any of that have to do with the fact that it contracted 3.75 billion immedialty after the announcement?

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
11.1.1  Cerenkov  replied to  96WS6 @11.1    6 years ago

Nothing.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12  Tacos!    6 years ago

Nike will be fine. They have a history of contracting with imbeciles - Michael Vick, Mike Tyson - and survived. They pat themselves on the back for being edgy. As is the case with most companies, customer satisfaction tends to override politics. So, if Nike shoes work for you, this probably won't change your mind, and if you find them narrow and uncomfortable like I do, this isn't going to make you start wearing them.

What I find absurd - maybe even offensive - is the notion that Colin Kaepernick has "sacrificed everything." He hasn't sacrificed a damned thing. He has a $126 MILLION contract just to play ball and gets paid God-knows-what by Nike. He will make more money than most people do in 50 or 100 lifetimes. He is the 1%. He hasn't sacrificed anything and should therefore be an inspiration to no one.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
13  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago

And Nike sacrificed everything with this choice.   Maybe they should have used Glenn Coffee, Pat Tillman or Alejandro Villanueva.  You know, somebody who actually knows what sacrifice is.

charger 383
Professor Silent
14  charger 383    6 years ago

It is easier to find a new customer than get the one you made mad back 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
15  Jack_TX    6 years ago

Nike will be fine.  

Their market is minorities and Millenials, who will love the "feel good" of something they consider "social justice" and never look too closely.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.1  Sparty On  replied to  Jack_TX @15    6 years ago

That's what Nike is betting on but i think they've consumed too much of the hives koolaide.

They lost market-share they will never get back and much of their target group can't afford the kicks they make.

Perhaps the Dems will push a "free Nike's for all" campaign.    Maybe then they'll be okay.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
15.1.1  Jack_TX  replied to  Sparty On @15.1    6 years ago
They lost market-share they will never get back

Never?  C'mon now.  Never is a very long time.

and much of their target group can't afford the kicks they make.

They can't afford much of what they buy.  65% of American families have $1k or less in savings and the average American has over $6k in credit card debt.  

Nike will just start leasing them or offering financing.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Jack_TX @15.1.1    6 years ago

I saw the commercial last night.    I didn't think it was that big of a deal.   However, i know people who do and they will NEVER again knowingly buy a NIKE product.  

So yeah, NEVER can and does happen.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
15.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  Sparty On @15.1.2    6 years ago

I don't appreciate the ad...potraying dickwad as giving up everything for something is a joke.  I don't own anything Nike anyways and haven't since they started selling hundred dollar tennis shoes and trying to make kids feel like losers if they don't have a pair.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Sunshine @15.1.3    6 years ago

To each their own.  

Like i said, as long as he isn't disrespecting flag and country i have no problem with him and nothing i saw in that add did that.   Not that i saw.

Nike is paying him to toot his horn and they are free to do that.   I support private business rights even when i don't agree with or like them

Its still a free country .... mostly.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
15.1.5  Jack_TX  replied to  Sparty On @15.1.2    6 years ago
So yeah, NEVER can and does happen.

I don't doubt that.  

I do doubt "never" when it comes to market cap on a worldwide industry leader in a product line we'll all be using for centuries to come.  They'll make up the market cap within a year, easy.  Probably before that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Jack_TX @15.1.5    6 years ago

Perhaps but they have likely forever lost the people i speak of, thus lowering their "Market Cap" potential by that amount.   They are betting the gains will offset the losses.   IMO they won't but only time will tell.

For my part i won't say i'll never buy a Nike product again but i sure won't seek them out.   Not that i really did before but for sure they got a net loss from me.   Plenty of other good choices to make that don't feel the need to use such "charged" tactics to advertise their products.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
15.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Sparty On @15.1.6    6 years ago
Perhaps but they have likely forever lost the people i speak of, thus lowering their "Market Cap" potential by that amount.   They are betting the gains will offset the losses.   IMO they won't but only time will tell. For my part i won't say i'll never buy a Nike product again but i sure won't seek them out.   Not that i really did before but for sure they got a net loss from me.   Plenty of other good choices to make that don't feel the need to use such "charged" tactics to advertise their products.

Guys like you and I buy shoes based on what fits best.  So Nike isn't competing for our business.  They either fit us better than Adidas or Reebok or whomever, or they won't.  We don't give a shit whether who endorses them, and we don't give a shit about commercials.  We have enough years on us to know better.

The market they're seeking is the group who thinks Nike makes dress shoes.  The ones who wore athletic shoes to their HS graduation, and for whom that's the last time they'll ever graduate.  They're selling to the people who have 18 pairs of $150 Nike/Adidas/whatever basketball shoes in the closet that they can't see very well because they didn't pay the electric bill and it's now dark in there.

Those guys are going to loooove this commercial.  

Let's face it, all these guys screaming "boycott" buy one pair of athletic shoes every three years.   Nike won't notice when they stop buying.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Jack_TX @15.1.5    6 years ago

How about ten days?

September 3rd   High of $ $83.25  which dropped to $79.00 on 09/04/2018.

September 13th  High of $83.55 bouncing around $83.35 right now.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
15.1.9  Jack_TX  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.8    6 years ago

I figured it wouldn't take 30 days, but I always like to be conservative in my estimations.

Winking 2

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.8    6 years ago

closed at $83.49

good for the stock holders.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
15.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @15.1.10    6 years ago

rose to $86.04, a new high...

but currently sits at $85.55

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
17  cjfrommn    6 years ago

well Nike i am sure had the office of loss analysis and nerds who do numbers and determined it was worth the risk. The loss of market money doesn't hurt them. And then bam last night they hit the world with the new Nike commercial and did a great job and will have some  sales based on this positive vibes commercial. 

It provided a reminder on how some of the best athletes come from nothing and childhoods that many cant relate too. And yet they succeeded in coming out on top. 

I also loved how they made sure the target group of young folks had a wide group of leaders of sports groups to view. from The USA soccer women to the wrestler to Serena to the avg skateboarder and it was a hit to me and a lot of my co-workers. 

I look forward to Nike's future promotions if they can keep up this style. It was for the young folks who sadly have been visited with violence way to often. And all know that information is power. And yes Kaepernick is a figure who is either wildly popular or hated. But for those who have been on the fence , he got positive reviews. 

And since last night a lot of my co-workers got a better well rounded view and vibe from him and some even admitted they "get it" now. So it was nice to see and much appreciated.  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
18  Sunshine    6 years ago

Anyone who supports the Nike ad should be fucking ashamed of themselves.  You make me sick.  These faces should be on the ads, not some fucking loser. 

These are the people who gave up everything for something:

10977546_G.jpg

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1  cjfrommn  replied to  Sunshine @18    6 years ago

boo hoo,  your comment is a about a totally different topic. cops dying in the line of work is different then cops killing citizens when the death of that citizens was not warranted based on the use of force was not reasonable. 

and that is disconnect. That is exactly the problem, and that lack of being able to be honest about the difference is easily disregarded. 

as far as the commercial that too is a matter of honesty.  This illustration showing you those of your fellow Americans who find success by working hard and not letting there environment dictate that will to succeed. Not sure how you cant appreciate that.

It is basically the exact illustration of the blue print on how to live the "american way". I mean is that not what america represents, is that not why people got on boats from all over the world to end up here?

the will to make something from nothing. SHEESH 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
18.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  cjfrommn @18.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
18.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  cjfrommn @18.1    6 years ago
cops dying in the line of work is different then cops killing citizens when the death of that citizens was not warranted based on the use of force was not reasonable. 

Gee....I seem to remember a few Police officers being convicted for Unwarranted Deaths.

Killing is killing.....unless it doesn't fit some Fucked up narrative that is.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.3  cjfrommn  replied to  Sunshine @18.1.1    6 years ago

And i can tell based on your comment that you cant separate the difference between good cops that do deserve the respect and admiration and honor for a job choice that is theirs to make. Versus a bad cop that may act in a racist manner to citizens with an overly aggressive use of deadly force when non deadly force may have been more reasonable based on the reason used for the contact. 

and what you comment also suggest is that you must not know the feeling of dealing with both types of cops. Sadly that lack of interaction allows for a disconnect in being able to form an opinion on if you would want to be treated differently as some of your fellow citizens have at the hands of bad cops. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
18.1.5  Sunshine  replied to  cjfrommn @18.1.3    6 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sunshine @18.1.5    6 years ago

When I tell some one to fuck off I get a ticket

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
18.1.7  Sunshine  replied to  Trout Giggles @18.1.6    6 years ago

good for you

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.8  cjfrommn  replied to  Kathleen @18.1.4    6 years ago
They may have died in the line of duty, but I give them more credit then that.

And i have i distigushed between good cops and bad ones. 

Anyone that is willing to risk their lives to try to protect others should be given more respect then this. 

And they are by citizens and co-workers that know how that officer maintains them sevles professional.

There are a few that were in the wrong, but as a whole, they need to be recognized for what they have to face each day.

And sadly there is the DOWN PLAY by those who choose to accept them as ok. Meaning most bad cops have a track record and yet they have a pattern of escalation until death by that bad cop happens and a civil lawsuit is only way some citizens can have that bad cops act acknowledged. Dont you think that it should not have to get to a civil lawsuit? 

Most are criminals that don't give a crap about anyone and the cops have to deal with those losers everyday.

and yet thats part of the job, its not easy and in most cases a majority of cops ACT CORRECTLY and according to the policy and procedures in place.  

Also, when a police officer tells you to do something, you need to do it. that is part of the problem.  All the cop haters seem to be lacking in that area. They just don't want to listen and do what they say...So it turns ugly.

And yet that is true, but funny how people seem to not want to talk about the citizens that DO act correct. And the citizen that knows something that is as simple as a tickets ends up being a beat down because the cop cant maintain self displine or stop him or herself from an over reaction. THOSE are the cops we are speaking about. the cops that clearly have made a decision to hurt a citizen in a use of force situation that was not necessary. 

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.12  cjfrommn  replied to  It Is ME @18.1.2    6 years ago
Gee....I seem to remember a few Police officers being convicted for Unwarranted Deaths.

And yet that suspect action or choice to do harm is based on free will.  and yet the hazard of  a police officers job is explained and the applicant is made very aware of it from day of being accepted into an academy. And yet the discussion is about the bad cops that convict citizens to death of using force that was not needed even when effecting an arrest and that is the focus. This focus seems to get mixed in as you and few others have which sadly then turns into a lack of honest talk about the difference between good cops actions and bad cop action.

Killing is killing.....unless it doesn't fit some Fucked up narrative that is.

And this is true but the issue is that the narrative is controlled by the actions of some bad cops. And to make it about anything else is where this disconnect on something simple and frankly unacceptable. Which is the assaults or death of citizens of color that was unnecessary. And that narrative is what is being disregarded by a lack of honest talk about it. Instead of the flag, the soldiers the good cops and so on. 

It is simply about bad cops that disregard self discipline and reasonable use of force that sometimes results in death of black citizens at a rate that is not relative to white population that interact with those same cops. 

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.13  cjfrommn  replied to  Kathleen @18.1.10    6 years ago
It is funny how some citizens do not want to talk about when a cop asks them to do something and they refuse... I have noticed that myself.

I did mention that there are some in the wrong, so I did acknowledge that. 

I also wrote this reply before your second one.

Never once did I accept a bad cop and play it down, I was talking about all the good ones that are not mentioned, and I see that a whole hell of a lot.

And i have suggested that this is NOT ABOUT the good ones.  it is about the bad or racist acting cops. the ones where other officers know this officer is an instigator or lack self control or has a temper problem.

It is about the power that exist in the value of life. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
18.1.15  It Is ME  replied to  cjfrommn @18.1.12    6 years ago

And yet folks that cause the police to show up in the first place, and/or shoot cops, are innocent until proven guilty. Face Palm

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.16  cjfrommn  replied to    6 years ago

you are correct but sadly we have some that us citizens have paid to make better choices, paid to follow the rules, regulations and policies and procedures and dont.

Those few bad actors are allowed and tolerated but until more people are willing to take them to task. then sadly it puts citizens at risk. And ultimately forces the public to write another check in a lost civil suit, that would not have been needed if that bad cop was dealt with prior to killing a citizen.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.17  cjfrommn  replied to  It Is ME @18.1.15    6 years ago
And yet folks that cause the police to show up in the first place, and/or shoot cops, are innocent until proven guilty. 

And again that is a separate issue that you want to mix into a topic which is the opposite.  

and based on your comments you seem to not understand that some citizens that call cops to show up regret it because they see a citizen die at the hands of that cop based on a use of deadly force that was not necessary. 

As i have pointed out, its not about the good cops that show up to CHAOTIC SCENES or calls for help. It is the bad / racist cops that make a mountain out of a mole hill, that take a petty misdemeanor event and instigate it so now its a felony response and the risk to that citizen multiples 10 fold for no other reason then a cop acting badly. 

Junior Participates
18.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sunshine @18    6 years ago
You make me sick.  These faces should be on the ads, not some fucking loser. 

Anyone who tries to pervert this discussion with a disgustingly dishonest attempt to link Nike to the deaths of police officers makes me want to vomit.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
18.3  Skrekk  replied to  Sunshine @18    6 years ago
Anyone who supports the Nike ad should be fucking ashamed of themselves.  You make me sick. 

I support the protests and the Nike ad.   Your faux patriotism and manufactured outrage are noted.

It's also charming that you use pics of murdered cops to justify police brutality and the murder of innocent black civilians.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
19  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Interesting comments …

There are a couple things I find interesting about the Colin Kaepernick saga .. 

Here is what was happening before Kaepernick sat on the bench, or took a knee...

Colin Kaepernick trade saga comes to a close with Broncos drafting Paxton Lynch

After numerous reports connected him to the Broncos, the 49ers quarterback will likely stick around and play under Chip Kelly.

By James Brady@JamesBradySBN Apr 29, 2016 , 8:00am EDT

Despite months of trade rumors, Colin Kaepernick will play for the San Francisco 49ers in 2016, team general manager Trent Baalke said during the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft on Thursday. This seems like the end of a long and drawn-out trade saga that linked the Cleveland Browns, New York Jets and Denver Broncos to the 28-year-old quarterback.

When the Denver Broncos drafted quarterback Paxton Lynch, it all but confirmed that Kaepernick would stay put. Baalke confirmed that the 49ers are moving forward with the guys currently on the roster and called Kaepernick a "big part of it."

"We're probably over with Kaepernick," Broncos GM John Elway said Thursday night.

The Broncos were the last team remaining in the Kaepernick discussion after the Browns and Jets quickly dropped out. They were reportedly trying to get Kaepernick to agree to a pay cut, but one never materialized. The Broncos filled their quarterback need this offseason by trading for Mark Sanchez and then trading up in the first round to draft Lynch.

Kaepernick, who signed an extension with the 49ers in 2014, is sitting on a guaranteed contract worth $11.9 million for 2016. But he also reportedly wanted to earn that money elsewhere after getting benched last season.

Kaepernick is getting paid big money, and he still has a multi-year deal that he can play on if he regains the starting job. However, new head coach Chip Kelly and Trent Baalke have maintained that Kaepernick will have to compete with Blaine Gabbert, the man he was benched for last season.

Yet, there's still reason for hope for Kaepernick. His skills could make him a great fit for Kelly's offense. Right before the draft, there was talk that Kaepernick "digs" his new head coach. The 49ers also traded back up in the first round to select guard Joshua Garnett, who could help bolster an offensive line that gave up 53 sacks last season., second-most in the NFL.

On the other hand, there is also the possibility that the 49ers land a potential starting quarterback in the NFL Draft. Connor Cook is still available, as are Christian Hackenberg, Cardale Jones and Dak Prescott. But the way it looks now, if the 49ers did draft a quarterback, he'd have to compete with Kaepernick.

Here is another interesting read..

Perhaps Kaepernick was on his way to being a 'man without a team' before the anthem debacle - yet no one will every hear about the events that were taking place during 2016 before the season began ..

Kaepernick opted out of his contract to become a free agent and no team seemed to want to pay what he thought he was worth - then he became a media circus .. teams do not like lightening rods, as it tends to distract from the purpose of being a TEAM.

I believe that attention should be paid to police shooting unarmed black men … and YAY for Kaepernick making his voice heard [yet he did not make his voice heard, he made his actions seen with NO one knowing what he was doing] I even thought at one point that he was a role model for the marginalized youth in America .. but then he chose not to vote.   What was that all about .. he will protest the anthem [not honor the flag that oppresses blacks] to heighten awareness of the plight of the black man/woman - but will not vote?  I saw the ad .. I think it speaks volumes .. too bad it has an individual in it that has been playing for the cameras and using race as a reason that he is no longer succeeding .. the hand writing was on the wall before he sat on the bench for the anthem ..  

Give Kaepernick a Nobel Peace Prize  

P.s... I recommend Georgia footwear...

Here is another interesting read .. article is about the San Diego game in September 2016

Junior Participates
19.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Colour Me Free @19    6 years ago
P.s... I recommend Georgia footwear...

I've been thinking about the Nike gear-burning protest and it seems that it's just not very powerful to watch a pair of runner burn in someone's back yard.  Now if those Nike owners are actually wearing the shoes and other garments when they light them on fire, now that would be a protest that could make change happen.  When Buddhist monks did it in Vietnam back in the 60s, it sure had an impact of the opinions of Americans about that war.  

Junior Participates
19.1.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Kathleen @19.1.1    6 years ago
Pretty much how I feel when someone burns the American flag. I wish they would wrap themselves in it first.

heh

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
19.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @19.1    6 years ago

I liked the clueless and butt-hurt white guy who burned his Nikes and proudly said he'd wear Converse from now on......unaware of who makes that brand.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
20  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I generally don't pay a lot of attention to this issue, because it is a stupid issue. 

To my knowledge no NFL player, including Kaepernick, has said or implied that they "took a knee" to protest the American flag, America, or the military. 

Those themes were inserted into this "controversy" by the asshole otherwise known as President Trump, in order to keep his political base incensed at "liberals" and minorities. Originally Kaepernick announced that whatever pose was taken during the national anthem was to draw attention to police brutality against blacks.  The ONLY ones who should have objected to Kaepernick , if they so chose, were his employers at the San Francisco 49ers.  Frankly, it was none of Trump's fucking business. 

Notice when trump falls back on this issue- it is after he has been shown to have acted like an idiot or a jackass in an unrelated matter and he is getting widely criticized. Then he falls back on attacking the NFL players. 

The players have a right to kneel during the anthem, as long as the NFL does not forbid it.  Even then it would become a form of "civil disobedience" in that it may be a moral action that could also carry with it the possibility of negative consequences such as the player being cut and unable to get another team to play on, as has happened to kaepernick himself. In any case, it's none of fuckhead Donald trump's business. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
20.1  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @20    6 years ago
To my knowledge no NFL player, including Kaepernick, has said or implied that they "took a knee" to protest the American flag, America, or the military. 

He is protesting against America for it's "oppression of black people".  

I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick said,

His words.  Whether you agree with him or not, that's what HE says he's doing.

Those themes were inserted into this "controversy" by the asshole otherwise known as President Trump

The protests pre-date the Trump presidency.

Out of curiosity, is there ANYTHING in this world for which to do not blame Donald Trump?  Give us an example.

Originally Kaepernick announced that whatever pose was taken during the national anthem was to draw attention to police brutality against blacks.

That's not actually what he said.  See above.

The ONLY ones who should have objected to Kaepernick , if they so chose, were his employers at the San Francisco 49ers.  Frankly, it was none of Trump's fucking business. 

The whole point of a protest is to make something everybody's business.  I would have thought that was obvious to a leftist.

The players have a right to kneel during the anthem,

Yes.  They also have the right to pick up the phone, call the mayors of their cities and the governors of their states and actually DO something about police violence.  But that would require them to break with the Millennial tradition of pouting and blaming.

Even then it would become a form of "civil disobedience" in that it may be a moral action that could also carry with it the possibility of negative consequences such as the player being cut and unable to get another team to play on, as has happened to kaepernick himself. In any case, it's none of fuckhead Donald trump's business. 

Really?  So the supposed oppression of American citizens is not the business of the President of the United States??  Do endeavor to explain that one.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
20.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @20.1    6 years ago

Are you oppressed, as a patriotic American, by the fact that people you don't know and have nothing to do with, kneel during the national anthem? 

Why would you even care? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
20.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @20.1.1    6 years ago

re you oppressed, as a patriotic American, by the fact that people you don't know and have nothing to do with, kneel during the national anthem? 

Is that your new standard? That you can't be bothered by what people you don't know and have nothing to do with do or say?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
20.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @20.1    6 years ago
Criminal justice reform is one of the top issues that NFL players have been supporting in their protests. [24] Kaepernick was initially moved to protest by the deaths of African Americans at the hands of police or while in police custody. These deaths gained prominence through the media and the Black Lives Matter movement in the years immediately preceding the protest. [25] During a post-game interview on August 26, 2016, he stated, "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color . To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder", adding that he would continue to protest during the anthem until he feels like "[the United States flag] represents what it's supposed to represent." [26] [27]

You want to use the purpose of the protest (to show dissatisfaction with the way blacks are treated in the criminal justice system) to discredit the protest. They are not saying that they are against the US flag in principle, they are kneeling to protest the flag until the flag represents equal justice , as they see it. 

You can agree or disagree with their reasons, but I don't see how it is unAmerican. If it offends you , change the channel. Trump is an asshole and is using this issue to divide the country for his own political advantage. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
20.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @20.1.1    6 years ago
Are you oppressed, as a patriotic American, by the fact that people you don't know and have nothing to do with, kneel during the national anthem? 

Not at all.  This action creates 0% oppression for any American.  (feel free to quote me :))

Moreover, I find the idea that it's "disrespecful to the flag" one of the more idiotic notions in America today.  It's somewhere on the list of Top Ten Moron Mantras with "building a wall will help our immigration issues" and "socialized healthcare will be an improvement".

Why would you even care? 

I don't.  But neither do they.  

When somebody cares about something, they spend more than three minutes a week on it.

My point to you is that these "protests" are easily defensible while maintaining full accuracy on them.  And Trump is a peripheral character, capitalizing on another wave of idiocy for his own gain.  He wants it to be about him, but it's not.  He's an afterthought.

Junior Participates
20.1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @20.1    6 years ago
That's not actually what he said. 

Oh, come on.  Don't pretend that's what he meant by the one small bit of the full quote from Kaepernick:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Of course it's understandable he would have a different perspective about the importance of those dead bodies than you have but that's what freedom of expression is about, right?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
20.1.6  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @20.1.3    6 years ago

Don't cite Wikipedia.  People who cite Wikipedia look stupid and/or lazy, and that's not what you want to be.

You want to use the purpose of the protest (to show dissatisfaction with the way blacks are treated in the criminal justice system) to discredit the protest.

The purpose of protest is as a force-multiplier.  Groups of people band together to become more powerful than the sum of their parts.  They are then able to achieve their objectives collectively where they could not individually.  If all someone is doing is "showing dissatisfaction", that's a tantrum, not a protest.

They are not saying that they are against the US flag in principle, they are kneeling to protest the flag until the flag represents equal justice , as they see it. 

Well...you read Kap's words.  Now, I think he and his colleagues have done an amazingly poor job communicating on this, so I'm willing to be flexible on what they actually mean and/or want.  But they're still doing a shit job communicating.  

You can agree or disagree with their reasons,

I actually don't disagree with their reasons.  I just don't think they're ever going to achieve anything using this tactic.

but I don't see how it is unAmerican.

It's not.

If it offends you

It doesn't.

Trump is an asshole

Yes.  Not exactly breaking news, though, is it.  We've known that since the 1980's, at least.

and is using this issue to divide the country

The country was already divided.  It's been divided for a long time.   That's not on Trump.

for his own political advantage. 

Yes.  Absolutely.  But so do Bernie, Liz Warren, and anyone proposing legislation to "stop Sharia Law".  It's a lot more common than people think.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
20.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @20.1.5    6 years ago
Oh, come on.  Don't pretend that's what he meant by the one small bit of the full quote from Kaepernick

I'm taking a college educated political activist at his word.  I agree that's probably not what he meant, but I hope you can agree that failure to communicate is hampering this entire endeavor.

Of course it's understandable he would have a different perspective about the importance of those dead bodies than you have

I'm quite a bit older than he is, so that's probably to be expected.   But do not fall into the juvenile trap of assuming that only one perspective represents the "caring" side.  

but that's what freedom of expression is about, right?

Absolutely.  Freedom of expression is the very first right symbolized by that flag, BTW.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
20.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @20.1.6    6 years ago
Don't cite Wikipedia.  People who cite Wikipedia look stupid and/or lazy, and that's not what you want to be.

No they don't. Don't make things up Jack. 

Wikipedia has a lot of footnoted information.  I know how to tell facts from bullshit.  Do you?

By the way, for someone who claims to not be very interested in this topic you have a funny way of showing it.  You have 10 comments on this thread and most of them are fairly sizable. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
20.1.9  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @20.1.8    6 years ago
No they don't. Don't make things up Jack.  Wikipedia has a lot of footnoted information.  

Tell you what....cite Wikipedia on your next college paper and see how that goes.

I know how to tell facts from bullshit. 

I look forward to a demonstration of this knowledge.

By the way, for someone who claims to not be very interested in this topic you have a funny way of showing it.

Don't confuse objectivity with apathy.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
20.2  Skrekk  replied to  JohnRussell @20    6 years ago
Those themes were inserted into this "controversy" by the asshole otherwise known as President Trump, in order to keep his political base incensed at "liberals" and minorities.

Bingo.   Trump needed to rile up his racist butt-hurt white guy base.    Those folks are too dumb and have too much white privilege to care about the issue of police brutality and the murder of innocent black folks.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
21  1stwarrior    6 years ago

nike.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.2  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @21    6 years ago

Lol just saw this ...... hilarious!

devangelical
Professor Principal
22  devangelical    6 years ago

Nike's are the sneakers I've worn for years since they make a 12EEEE shoe size. The number of fucking morons in the US  that are unable to comprehend the 1st amendment doesn't interfere with my shoe buying decisions.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
23  Sunshine    6 years ago

Here is Nike's next ad:

thWG3PX400.jpg

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
24  Sunshine    6 years ago

DmTMqN_VsAAP2gt.jpg

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
25  Sunshine    6 years ago

He certainly sacrificed everything....

DmSEMcbWsAMbUzA.jpg

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
25.1  cjfrommn  replied to  Sunshine @25    6 years ago

and that is a great example - he has all of that money and yet depending on the mindful actions of a racist cop all that means nothing. 

you see you have helped prove the point. you dont seem to understand that the few racist cops would put him through his paces because he is black. or would try to instigate a reason for them to use force on him. while a good cop would look at the legal p.c. and then react accordingly. 

sadly you seem to also forget that before he had those millions, he had less, and that is something that YOU CANT QUANTIFY. Meaning you dont get to suggest a picture of him on top changes what has happened to him in the past and the path it took for him to get there. 

that difference could be night vs day. and this is why there is a protest and reminder to fellow citizens. Being different shouldn't matter when you hire and retain the right type of good professional officers. But it time to get rid of the racist and bad acting ones that terrorize some communities for no other reason then them being different.  Thats not the american way....or is it to you?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
25.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  cjfrommn @25.1    6 years ago

he is fucking phony...get over it.

you have been more passionate about police brutality than this twat.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
25.1.2  cjfrommn  replied to  Sunshine @25.1.1    6 years ago

well again its not tough to find out what he has been doing behind the scenes.

your need to act like he is the problem only clarifies how confounded ignorance can be when you choose to use it as your reason to reply the way you do.

again the issue is very simple either you believe all citizens should be treated the same as a standard of interaction by the police or you dont. 

and with the help of video and documentation a lot of people can see for themselves this is not the case. Most folks dont need to have it be personal for them to recognize what this is.

in the end  it is really about just being honest about the sad fact that it is exists. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
25.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  cjfrommn @25.1.2    6 years ago

I didn't say he is a problem I said he is a phony, a jackass too if you like.

So what did Kaepernik do before he started his stunts?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
25.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sunshine @25    6 years ago

Can you tell Trump to fuck off then? Since having money means you cannot take a stand on an issue that is. 

Junior Participates
26  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

Nike's stock has already gained back 1% of that loss so it'll bounce up again soon.  I'm pretty sure Nike factored all this in before it decided to go with it.  After all,  no one would is surprised anymore that  this would be the predictable rightwing knee jerk response.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
26.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @26    6 years ago
this would be the predictable rightwing knee jerk response.  

Maybe they will gather together and hopelessly scream at the sky?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
26.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @26    6 years ago
Nike's stock has already gained back 1% of that loss so it'll bounce up again soon.

So are we going to be able to agree that boycotts are generally stupid and ineffective?

GregTx
PhD Guide
26.2.1  GregTx  replied to  Jack_TX @26.2    6 years ago

Good Lord, I hope not as that is the only real power the consumer has.

Junior Participates
26.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @26.2    6 years ago
So are we going to be able to agree that boycotts are generally stupid and ineffective?

Depends on the cause and who's doing it.   Boycotts like this one from the extreme rightwing or the one against Chik-Fil-A are rarely if ever effective.  On the otherhand, the multinational boycott of S. Africa during apartheid certainly helped speed its collapse.  So no,  I couldn't agree to that blanket statement.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
26.2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jack_TX @26.2    6 years ago

99 time out of 100 yes. They rarely, if ever, actually achieve anything. Really all a boycott is in most cases is people depriving themselves of something they like or is convenient, in order to bitch about something that is ultimately dumb. I have never participated in a boycott, if I don't go somewhere, watch something, or buy something it is because I either have a better alternative or just don't give a shit about the product in the first place. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
26.2.4  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @26.2    6 years ago

Yes since it's only the morons who spent good money on their Nike merchandise who are burning their shoes, etc.  Let the fools throw their money away.  Good riddance to bad rubbish 

charger 383
Professor Silent
27  charger 383    6 years ago

maybe nike wants to sell stuff to people who hate the USA and they found somebody for their ad who hates the USA

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
27.1  Cerenkov  replied to  charger 383 @27    6 years ago

Plausible. I'd say they could count on millennials but only the ones with jobs...

lib50
Professor Silent
27.2  lib50  replied to  charger 383 @27    6 years ago
maybe nike wants to sell stuff to people who hate the USA and they found somebody for their ad who hates the USA

If they wanted to do that they would market to old white farts who don't understand the protests at all (since they keep misstating what they are about, which has nothing to do with disrespecting the flag or anthem, its about injustice).   Trump and his affinity for Putin and Kim while he pisses on America and Americans is as hateful as it gets.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
28  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Nike will be just fine. They might take a very small, very short term hit, but in a matter of weeks it'll be like nothing happened because honestly, most people have far more important things to give a shit about. Like I have to decide if I want to make something for dinner or just have a protein shake. That's an important issue folks. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
28.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Thrawn 31 @28    6 years ago

Wow, big fucking shock, they are doing better than ever. Did I not say something like that? Honestly if you thought the, absolutely retarded ,idea of destroying your own money would make them change direction, you are even dumber than I thought. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
29  bbl-1    6 years ago

Nike down four per cent?  Taking a knee in the presence of the flag causes dissent, fear and confusion?  Putin's henchmen are still here.  Maybe Trump can order the Justice Department to arrest the football. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
30  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago

I just returned my nike shoes.  They made my feet hurt when I stand for the flag and anthem.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
30.1  Tessylo  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @30    6 years ago

That's nice.  Good for you.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
30.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @30    6 years ago

You didn't notice they make your feet hurt when you tried them on? Save yourself some time and be a better consumer. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
31  MrFrost    6 years ago

Not to nit pick here, but Nike said their online profits are up just over 20% from this time last year. This article is BS..

But I do love watching people burn their Nike's that they paid for.. The only ones they are hurting is themselves.. LOL Seriously, why burn your OWN stuff? That's just dumb. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
32  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

And  just as I said, they are higher a week later. For real, if you think destroying shit you already bought and saying you won't buy more, is a an actual thing, you are fucking retarded. 

Junior Participates
33  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

I'm enjoying reading all the Nike bashers' righteous indignation for the plight of exploited foreign workers.  It's certainly the first time I've ever seen any of them reveal their concern.  I'm sure we can expect them to follow through by putting that indignation into political action to remedy the situation (jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif ).

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
34  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

Celebrities are paid to endorse products whether they use the product or not.  I rely on people that I know who might use a product I am interested in to give me their honest opinion.  Their endorsement(s) are what I go by, not those who push a product because they are paid to do so.

Krishna
Professor Expert
35  Krishna    6 years ago

I personally am not interested in arguing about the morality of what Kaepernick did, what Trump said about it, or the wages U.S. corporations pay foreign workers. However, when I see misleading information posted online, occasionally I feel the urge to correct it. (Often I don't bother, considering the fact that most NT users are more interersted in bashing the party on the other side of the aisle-- more interested in that than the actual facts!

But in this case  there's been a long discussion based entirely on misleading information.  Specifically this graph:

And this headline:

Nike Loses $3.75 Billion In Market Cap After Colin Kaepernick Named Face Of ‘Just Do It’ Ads

Why is it misleading? Because as anyone familiar with the market can tell you, a one or two day drop in stock price is meaningless-- if the stock recovers.

So--  the key question is-- after it plummeted, what actually happened right after that? Did it continue to plummet--or did it stay that low? From this graph we don't know, because the graph stops there,

Looking at the graph you posted, it looks like Nike was trading at about $82/share just before it plummeted (to just under $80/share). A significant drop! But was this a one or two day event-- or did the plunge continue?

Well, unlike so many people here on NT, I like to look at the actual facts-- so I did something unusual. I actually checked the relevant facts! And what I found was that the stock closed at $84.79 in today's trading! (Tues 9/25).

So-- its actually been up 5 points since the plunge.

Krishna
Professor Expert
35.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @35    6 years ago
Well, unlike so many people here on NT, I like to look at the actual facts-- so I did something unusual. I actually checked the relevant facts! And what I found was that the stock closed at $84.79 in today's trading! (Tues 9/25). So-- its actually been up 5 points since the plunge.

But besides how much its been up from its short plunge-- its now up a bit from eve before it tanked!