╌>

"Regrets are Rays of Light that Come Too Late"

Category:  Photography & Art

By:  a-macarthur  •  6 years ago  •  55 comments

I know I read it years ago, but cannot remember, nor, find the name of the author … but it is to this day, prophetic regarding a certain circumstance in my life.

Some years ago, I used to fish a spot until sunset on a mountain lake, and, on many of those early evenings, the gentleman in the photo below, would fish there with me. 

I do not see that kindred spirit-fisherman these days, and, have not seen him for, I would estimate, at least six or seven years although I fish at the same lake, often at the same place he stands and fishes as seen in the photo.

In recent times, as I fish looking into that setting sun, I sadly think about the silhouetted gentleman in my picture, and wonder several things; first, I wonder where he is, if he is doing well, and, I wonder even …  if …   he is.

I also now wonder, why I never asked him his name … nor anything about him … and why we only exchanged "hellos," "see ya' next times," and "how they bitin' this …''?

That Pocono Mountain lake, the fishin' … good or poor … are a wonderful part of my life to this day … but the sunsets are not just colors of the "magic hour," or, the spiritual and crepuscular rays of light … they are also, when I think about a friend and occasional compadre, "rays of light that have come too late," …

… alas … if only I had asked him his name and who he was …

original

I hope he is alive and well and catching the big ones … and I hope the Great Spirit Who sends the light, will forgive my foolish oversight.

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

I will do better … both with current friends and friends I have yet to know.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    6 years ago

Will a rose, by any other name, smell as sweet? Will a twinkling star be any less impressive even if you don't know its name? Your connection to this fellow human and occasional fishing companion can be just as fulfilling with or without a name. If you need a name, call him Ray, your own personal Ray that came too late, and know that he's likely thinking the same of you, maybe he's even given you a nickname too.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.2.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2    6 years ago

Thank you for that thoughtful and hopeful comment!

CB
Professor Principal
1.3  CB  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    6 years ago

There you are 'doing amazing' photography. Love the pictures, especially the depth, light, and shadow in the second one. (Smile.) I hope you find this friend again. . . . It means something to you and that speaks volumes.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    6 years ago

Good flare application on the second photo.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

You have always been a good friend and NT wouldn't be here if it wasn't for your help in those early days. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Going fishing for trout in a couple of days. I hope I catch some.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4  Nowhere Man    6 years ago

Last May out on the Yakima River....

original

The biggest one I caught all day, but I let him go.....

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
5  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Now THAT'S a Rainbow!

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
5.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  A. Macarthur @5    6 years ago
Now THAT'S a Rainbow!

Everyone on the boat after taking the pic all decided that the expression on his face deserved a reprieve.....

"OH SHIT!!!"

That's why we let him go.....

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    6 years ago

This discussion brings back memories of fishing with my Dad when I was a kid.

My Dad always knew these places that were off the map for fishing, hunting and archeological digs.

Whenever the farm raised fish were released the trout would find their way to these locations. These farm fish had no idea how to survive in the wild and would hit anything.

There is a plant, maybe it is a type of grass, that has seeds like air bubbles. As a 3rd or 4th grade kid I would put one of those seeds on a hook and and get an instant strike as soon as it hit the water.

Mac, really, it is often the thought that counts.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

This is the result when I was a young teen and went fishing with my dad on Lake Erie. At Turkey Point (Ontario) there are captained fishing launches which my dad and a few of his friends would rent for the day, and my dad always took me along. We always got a good catch of Bass (we believe in "catch and eat") and these are the ones I got.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    6 years ago

Great picture Buzz.

Another memory here, when in second grade I went fishing with my Dad and one of his friends on the Potomac, I want to say Swains Lock but not so sure right now. 

You had to take your boat under the canal to get to the river. The area is very rocky and we broke a shear pin. After getting to shore for repairs, my Dad set a rod for shore fishing.

As the repairs are getting finished Dad's line gets a hit. BTW, Dad was the king of the light weight lines. Out there he may have been using 6lb, which is the heaviest he has ever used.

in a hurry he realizes this thing is serious. We all get in the boat and start following the fish as he is trying to wear it down.

We went all the way across the Potomac, then all the way back again and then half way again before it was brought on board. We needed a bigger net. LOL.

36lb Carp. Lot of gefilte fish there. (we catch and eat too).

Next day at school, of course I am talking about it and the teacher hands me an envelope to give to my parents.

Mom reads it. Turns out the teacher said I should stop telling tall tales.

Mom set her straight. No more complaints.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.1    6 years ago

LOL.  Great story.  Two movies come to mind.  A River Runs Through It, when Brad Pitt was dragged down the river by a really big trout, and Big Fish - did you ever see Big Fish?  Now that I think of it, a third movie - Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Ring, when Schmeigel's friend gets pulled out of the boat by a big fish, and when he goes to the bottom, he discovers the "Ring". 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6.1.3  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1    6 years ago

Impressive stringer of fish, Buzz!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6.1.4  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1.1    6 years ago

Hope you had enough horse radish!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6.1.5  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.1.2    6 years ago

Don't forget The Old Man and the Sea.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.6  dave-2693993  replied to  A. Macarthur @6.1.4    6 years ago
horse radish!

Of course, it's a staple food!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @6.1.5    6 years ago

I should not have - I've read the book, seen the movie, which was part of my NT Classic Cinema posted essay on the movies made about Hemingway stories, and one of many of my Chinese students' favourite English books to read. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago
Mac, really, it is often the thought that counts.
A comforting thought for which I thank you.
BTW, I mailed the Milkweed seeds and a pair of matted photos to you and Charger earlier this morning; watch for a Priority Mail envelop in two or three days.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  A. Macarthur @6.2    6 years ago

Thank you Mac, I will keep an eye out.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
7  Nowhere Man    6 years ago

Hey Brother,

I know I read it years ago, but cannot remember, nor, find the name of the author

I regret that my mediocre search skills have been unable to find it after three days searching, I still have some feelers out but it's doubtful....

But a beautiful sentiment none the less.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @7    6 years ago

LOL. I just tried to search the quote and came up with two references to this very article.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7.2  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Nowhere Man @7    6 years ago

I was thinking it might be Merritt Malloy or Ken Keyes.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     6 years ago

512 These are largemouth bass. They are known as  ''Hawg's'' since their over 10 lbs.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
9  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

WOW and WOW!

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     6 years ago

7 lb plus rainbow caught on the Upper Klamath River just south of the Oregon border. All the fish were returned to the water to fight another day. The rainbow is a replica I had made from a photo and measurements of the fish.

a

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @10    6 years ago

I think the only 2 fish I've caught that are as big as or bigger than those you've caught were a Muskie on Stony Lake in the Haliburton Lakes District of Ontario, and the Mahi Mahi I caught off the Kona coast of the big island of Hawaii (which was the only time I've ever gone deep sea fishing) and unfortunately I don't have photos of either of them.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
11  Nowhere Man    6 years ago

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous!!!!

The fishing up here in the GPNW is absolutely spectacular. (just wish I could get out more)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
12  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Some fishing-inspired artwork.

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
12.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  A. Macarthur @12    6 years ago

I don't think we've ever been in Kansas........

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13  It Is ME    6 years ago

To much "Wondering" A.Mac.

The important part is remembering the day.

Example:

Took two of my kids to the Jacksonville/Patriots game in Jacksonville this year. of course, we are huge Patriots fans. Sitting in a sea of Jacksonville fans is a bit raking, but we were there to watch our team together. There was a guy sitting next to me that was a Jacksonville fan.

He was about as radical as  I was about our teams (Not much, but big fans. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif ). We just got to talking about halfway through the 1st quarter. he had praise for Brady, I had Praise for Bortles, and we just got along. The entire game we talked about certain plays, certain mess-ups, certain calls, messed up fans, etc....

We bought beers for each other, and just had an overall good time the entire game. At the end, I shook his hand because Jacksonville won, and he smiled and said he doesn't count out the Patriots one bit. After all, he said, they have Brady. He even said he hoped to see me again.

For the life of me, I can't remember his name and I can't even remember what he was wearing.

BUT THE ONE THING I DO REMEMBER, was the great day I had with a total stranger.  jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

That's what's IMPORTANT.  jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
13.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @13    6 years ago

A well-considered evaluation ... perhaps, in the grand scheme, a name need not be attached to a good memory and a kindred spirit.

Interesting revelation just now ... I don’t know your name and the names of many friends herein, only the screen names ... but I’d go fishing with you and some of the others first opportunity, and/or buy you/them a beer and a turkey leg at Walt Disney World.

I appreciate the wisdom and advice from those who shared it here. Many thanks.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
13.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @13.1    6 years ago

We'd get along just fine. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

After all, this is just another Blog. Not something to go all "Verklempt" over as a "Life Changing" moment !

Basements are cold places to be in all the time. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif