╌>

What kind of candy are you giving out for Halloween?

Category:  The Lighter Side/ Humor

By:  kathleen  •  6 years ago  •  96 comments

What kind of candy are you giving out for Halloween?

So, What are you all giving out for Halloween?

I make ghost pops every year. 

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    6 years ago

I always give out the miniature candy bars.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Ender @2    6 years ago
I always give out the miniature candy bars.

I wish I'd thought of that. I gave out little miniature bars of soap last years. Not a good idea. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1    6 years ago

When I was a kid there was always a house that gave out pennies.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    6 years ago

The kids in Toronto carried little boxes for UNICEF pennies.

Sophomore Guide
2.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Ender @2.1.1    6 years ago
When I was a kid there was always a house that gave out pennies.

Sorry I don’t remember you.  Did you come here each year ya should have cause later on we gave out nickels.

lol

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.1.5  zuksam  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1    6 years ago

It's a good Idea if you want your car widows soaped.

Sophomore Guide
2.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  zuksam @2.1.5    6 years ago
It's a good Idea if you want your car widows soaped.

LOL yeah thinking things through is probably a good thing ta do. 

No more soap for trick or treaters !!

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  lady in black  replied to  Kathleen @2.1.7    6 years ago

In my area it is called Beggars Night......certain parts of the City of Buffalo only gave candy out on this night.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

There is no trick-or-treating here, no knocks on the door, but back in Toronto we gave out candies that were in small sealed packages. (If I recall Smarties i.e. Canadian style M&Ms, had little packs sealed in cellophane.) There had been stories about some really evil people who gave things that made kids sick.  We had a neighbour who made her own candy apples to give out, and she attached a little note to the stick with her name, address and phone number because of the scare. As well, since parents accompanied their young kids, we also gave the parents a cup of coffee, since it was usually a pretty cold night.

Sophomore Guide
4.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago
we also gave the parents a cup of coffee, since it was usually a pretty cold night.

Hot Toddies ? 

Where ya live ?

lol

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.2    6 years ago

Well, we DID ask them if they would like a little Bailey's Irish Cream whitener in their coffee (hardly anyone ever refused).

Sophomore Guide
4.2.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.2    6 years ago
(hardly anyone ever refused).

Bingo !!! 

As you said, It was cold out. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.3  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    6 years ago

I remember the good old days when I was a kid...   candied apples,  popcorn balls,  all sorts of home-made treats.  That's what was good in growing up in a small town. We heard about the razor blades in apples and the such but that was the big city and we  were safe from all of that.  Life sure has changed since then..

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.3.2  zuksam  replied to  Snuffy @4.3    6 years ago
We heard about the razor blades in apples and the such

I read an article a few years back and it said those rumors were just myths and that there were no documented cases of that ever happening.

Sophomore Guide
4.3.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  zuksam @4.3.2    6 years ago
I read an article a few years back and it said those rumors were just myths and that there were no documented cases of that ever happening.

I think the article maybe wrong, When I was young we did have some assholes putting sewing needles into candy bars around where I lived, I saw the police xray photos at the time on TV.  

Yeah, Razor blades,  I dont know about that for sure though. 

Sophomore Guide
4.3.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kathleen @4.3.4    6 years ago
That's just horrible, I would tell my daughter to only eat things that were wrapped,

We were told and didn't eat any candy till my folks checked it out.

After seeing the x-ray pictures they would cut into the candy bars with a knife even before we could eat any of it. 

Yep, Peoria Illinois was a tough place to grow up. Not probably as bad as chicago but a strong second at the time. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Something chocolate. I eat the leftovers. 

little MilkyWays and Three Musketeers

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    6 years ago

BAHH HUMBUG, nothing.  Now get off my lawn you rotten kids!

Besides it started snowing pretty hard today and is not supposed to stop anytime soon, so pretty sure there's not going to be a lot of kids out and about.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
7  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Kathleen: We give out kit kat bars, as some cannot have peanuts or tree nuts.

We also have sugar free bars for those who cannot have sugar.

Finally, for those who keep kosher or Hallal we have Elite varieties of Israeli chocolate bars and Turkish Delights confections.

We spend about $50, to make sure there is more than enough so no child leaves without something they can have.

Whatever we don't give out, and there are always left overs, we give to a local half way house so the children there can feel part of the holiday. 

If there isn't enough for all, we go buy first, and then bring.

"No child left unsmiled".

Peace, Abundant Blessings and Scary Costumes.

Enoch.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8  lady in black    6 years ago

M&M's, Hersey chocolate bars, Hershey's with almonds chocolate bars, reese's peanutbutter cup and twix bars.

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
8.4  nightwalker  replied to  lady in black @8    6 years ago

Ohhhh, aside from the plain Hersey bars I like all on your candy list.

If you get a trick-or-treater this year that's bigger and taller then the other kids and wearing a very realistic ugly-man mask and isn't holding a goodie-bag, slip him a extra Reese's or almond Hershey's, ok?

You just know he'd appreciate it. (wink)

jrSmiley_72_smiley_image.gif

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8.4.1  lady in black  replied to  nightwalker @8.4    6 years ago

Whoever comes to my door gets candy....I don't care what age.....my son went into his teen years but wore a mask in case someone whined about the "big kids"....

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
8.4.3  nightwalker  replied to  nightwalker @8.4    6 years ago

Always wondered what that smiley was for. Halloween, of course. LOL

zuksam
Junior Silent
11  zuksam    6 years ago

If any kid comes to my house they'll get a whole pack of candy bars ! I live in a small 1950's Plat Development of about 200 houses called Oak Grove and People from other areas actually bring their kids to my neighborhood because it's a safe low traffic family neighborhood. The Problem is my street is the first right when you enter the neighborhood and it's a cul-de-sac with only two houses. So on Halloween night the visitors all park their Cars on both sides of the main entrance road and some even park on the top half of my cul-de-sac but they all take their kids towards the hundreds of houses in the main part of Oak Grove but not one of them will walk 150 yards down my dead end to knock on my door. Every year I buy really good candy because I know if I get some kids there won't be many but for five years not a one. Last time I had kids come it was because my neighbor on the cul-de sac had young grandkids who would come to show their grandparents their costumes and get candy and they'd come over because their grandparents would tell them to. This year I bought ten packs of the "Fun Size" candy bars in the flavors I like since most likely I'll end up eating them, but if any kids do come I'm going to give each kid a whole pack.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
12  lady in black    6 years ago

Not about candy but Halloween related, take warning:

Alabama woman’s zombie Halloween costume turns into medical nightmare after $3 fake teeth get stuck

Sophomore Guide
13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

Right from the news article: Tew used the glue that came with the teeth, however, the adhesive wasn't temporary. 

Says who ?

I doubt the manufacture included super glue, LOL, but IF they did SUE the hell outta them. 

the adhesive wasn't temporary. ..... LOL probably more like the lady was in pain and it seemed like an eternity, That's my guess. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
15  Kavika     6 years ago

I'm not a fan of Halloween and tend to follow W.C. Fields leanings. 

“I like children. If they're properly cooked.”

― W. C. Fields

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16  Jasper2529    6 years ago

We buy candies that all children can have, especially those who have peanut/tree nut allergies and those with braces/dental appliances. Soooo ... we give Smarties, Hershey Bars (plain), Kisses, Dum Dum Lollipops, SweetTarts. Nothing sticky or with nuts. 

I'd rather buy what I like to eat - Milky Ways, Butterfingers so I have leftovers - but I can buy those on other days. Halloween is for kids and my happiness is seeing their costumes and happy faces when they come to my door. SweetTarts are always a big hit!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
16.2  Freefaller  replied to  Jasper2529 @16    6 years ago

Lol what about diabetic kids, just to be safe everyone should just give out rice cakes (blehh)

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
16.2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Freefaller @16.2    6 years ago
what about diabetic kids

Fear not, Freefaller. We have them covered as well. Have a good day!  jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
18  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Actually, this year I'm taking my grandson out Trick or, Treating for the first time for me, it should be fun, he wants to go as the Flash and, Crystal already has his costume, she says there is a neighborhood that is always "rich in candy" so, I will see what kind of "treasures" the Flash can get.

Sophomore Guide
18.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @18    6 years ago
I will see what kind of "treasures" the Flash can get.

True to the name and costume, Ill bet he zooms around and gatherers lots O treasures. . 

Good luck keeping up with him !

(I'm insisting my grandson go as a ninja Turtle.)  

lol

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
18.2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @18.2    6 years ago

He is ADHD so, it will be something to keep up, Isaiah went as a Ninja Turtle several years ago so, I think this time he wanted to match his personality.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
18.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago

Maybe, he watched the Addams family recently, I know its been on TV.

Sophomore Guide
18.2.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @18.2.2    6 years ago
I think this time he wanted to match his personality.

So, you have your running shoes ready to go eh ?  

lol

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
18.2.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @18.2.4    6 years ago
So, you have your running shoes ready to go eh ?   lol

No, LOL, mom is going to, I'll let her do the running, I'll be safe and, sound sitting in my truck watching the fun.

Sophomore Guide
18.2.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @18.2.5    6 years ago
I'll be safe and, sound sitting in my truck watching the fun.

LOL warm, toasty, comfy and candy, sounds good. Enjoy !

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
18.2.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @18.2.6    6 years ago
LOL warm, toasty, comfy and candy, sounds good. Enjoy !

I plan on it.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
18.2.8  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @18.2.7    6 years ago

So, the Flash went trick or, treating with me and, Mom and, made out like a bandit with a wagon and, a machine gun.

384 Me and, Isaiah after the fun.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
19  Tacos!    6 years ago

When we lived in Santa Monica, trick or treat was insane, so we handed out the little size candies. Our last year there, we had 800 kids. They drive in from other neighborhoods. It was pretty much just a non-stop line of kids for 3 or 4 hours. Actually, I know people in the area who have gotten double or triple that - literally trick or treaters by the thousands.

Where we live now (state secret), we only get about 70-100 kids, so we hand out the full size ones (Hershey's, Reese's, that kind of thing). We set up in the driveway and in addition to the candy, we serve hot chocolate (with marshmallows if you like) to both kids and parents.