© A. Mac/A.G.

original

2) Pocono Mountains Autumn

© A. Mac/A.G.

original

3) Canada Geese, Autumn Stream

© A. Mac/A.G

original

4) The Deeper One Walks Down this Trail, the more Likely it is, He will See a Black Bear

© A. Mac/A.G.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

A potentially spectacular time of year!

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.1  Old Hermit  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    6 years ago
A potentially spectacular time of year !

Too true.

Had an propane delivery scheduled last week that never came.  The driver left me a voice mail saying that I had let the driveway overgrow so much that he wouldn't risk his truck getting down to the cabin until I trimmed things back a bit.

Well I got a crew to come out with to work on the drive.  Unfortunately, (for my bank account), it looked so good I went crazy.

It was all, " Hey Gary, while you're here with your 7 man crew and all that heavy construction equipment, how bout clearing out around the cabin? ".  " Dam, place hasn't looked this good for years!  Go ahead and clear out those three acres leading down to the neighbors pasture ".

Should have stopped with the driveway, (could have bought a new car for the total cost of the two days worth of work), but " Whoa Doggy " it sure turned out nice.

It's been raining most of the week so these two are all I have for now.  More pictures will come later (smile )

45266932_10209886951450376_7939101236811268096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=35a4920eb6ff6fed1bd47822f100fdd8&oe=5C7F9D7E

45463602_10209886952490402_2905427156769177600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=50bdd42334ba05317e5d44b731ea291b&oe=5C84476F

Imagine the shot below, aged nearly 15 years with out a good trim back, and you might get a sense of just how big a change took place this week.

original

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Old Hermit @1.1    6 years ago

Thank you so much for your photos … they are wonderful additions to the discussion!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Old Hermit @1.1    6 years ago

Although your third photo is open, I don't understand why your first two did not open for me.  Did you post them in some other way, or is the source different?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.1.3  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    6 years ago

If you still can't open any of the photos, let me know and I'll post them un the comment boxes and hope they are accessible to you.

There are 4 in all (at the top of the article).

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  Old Hermit @1.1    6 years ago

Beautiful AH. You have a lovely place there !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @1.1.3    6 years ago

I never have a problem viewing your photos.  It's the first two photos A.H. posted that don't open. I only get to see a code.  The third photo was no problem - I'm curious why one works and the other two don't.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.6  TTGA  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.2    6 years ago

Buzz,

I checked and the difference between the first two and the third is that the first two are PNG files and the third is a JPG file.  Sometimes, in some situations, PNG files don't work well.  If AH says it's OK, I'll download them to my computer, change them to JPG files and upload them back here.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @1.1.6    6 years ago

Thanks, TTGA.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.1.8  Old Hermit  replied to  TTGA @1.1.6    6 years ago

A. Mac

Thank you so much for your photos

Just happy to have something to add this go round.

Buzz

Although your third photo is open, I don't understand why your first two did not open for me the first two photos A.H. posted that don't open.

Sorry you had trouble with the photos Buzz.

Looks like TTGA might have found the problem, (JPG File vs PNG File).

TTGA

If AH says it's OK, I'll download them to my computer, change them to JPG files and upload them back here.

Thanks for that TTGA. 

Know that if something like this should occur in the future there's no need to ask me if it's OK to try a fix, just go ahead, do your thing, and help another member out.

Pat

Beautiful AH. You have a lovely place there !

Thanks Pat.

Love living the hermit life in such beautiful surroundings. ( big smile )

See if this works for you Buzz.

Changed to JPG

original

original

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Old Hermit @1.1.8    6 years ago

They're perfect, A.H., and will you please stop making me jealous?

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
1.1.10  Old Hermit  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.9    6 years ago

Found a couple of shots that highlight just how over grown things had gotten around here and how dramatic the changes were after the work was done.

(heart problems have really slowed me down over these last 5 years) .

A FEW WEEKS BEFORE

original

original

AND AGAIN, THE DRIVEWAY AND FRONT YARD AFTER

original

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.1.11  TTGA  replied to  Old Hermit @1.1.10    6 years ago

Far out guys.  Glad the problem was solved.

AH,

I'll make note of your permission to adjust your photos whenever there is a problem.  Whenever I spot such a problem with pictures or other things from people who haven't given such permission, I always ask first.  I figure it's the polite thing to do and I don't wish to offend anybody in that way.  What the heck, I have plenty of other ways to offend them.  jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    6 years ago

Three absolutely fabulous photos. Canada geese? Makes me feel at home. LOL

I would post something if I had anything new that fits the theme - but I blew my load on your last article.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    6 years ago

Look at the pretty colors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My fav. time of year !

Still hunting for that one babbling brook affordable property.  I WILL PREVAIL ..... one day jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @3    6 years ago
Still hunting for that one babbling brook affordable property.  I WILL PREVAIL ..... one day

One more thing that makes us kindred spirits!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1    6 years ago
One more thing that makes us kindred spirits!

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

I'm in the "Quiet Time" years now. 

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
4  Uptownchick    6 years ago

Gorgeous...I love fall colors! Taking a drive through Michigan during peak season is a favorite thing to do!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Beautiful Mac. You really captured the fall! 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
6  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

More to come.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
7  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Third picture posted (hopefully to GOOSE UP viewership).

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
8  Robert in Ohio    6 years ago

The most beautiful time of year in NE Ohio

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Robert in Ohio @8    6 years ago

Thanks, RIO … keep 'em coming folks!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Robert in Ohio @8    6 years ago

So it is.

TTGA
Professor Silent
8.3  TTGA  replied to  Robert in Ohio @8    6 years ago
The most beautiful time of year in NE Ohio

And in Southern Michigan.  Have you noticed that the predominant color of the leaves this year is yellow?  The types of trees around here (Oak, Maple and Hickory) are essentially dependent on sugar content for color.  The bright orange and red colors indicate a high sugar content.  Unfortunately, this year we have had so much rain in the early Fall that the sugar content, particularly in the Maple trees, has been watered down.  That means that most of the leaves are yellow (pretty but not spectacular).  I'm hoping for less rain next September and October.  Meantime, even though it's of a different season (my second favorite) and seems to me like cheating since I've already posted this about ten years ago, here's one of the shots that I've enjoyed most.  Hope you all like it.  It was taken in early June up in Clare County (Northern part of Lower Peninsula) on some property I used to own.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @8.3    6 years ago

Good "leading lines" photo - and thanks for your explanation about sugar content determining colours.  That was news to me.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     6 years ago

Fantastic photos everyone.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
10  author  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Posted picture 4).

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @10    6 years ago

I must bare my thought that I bear the concern of not walking where a bear could be.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
10.1.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.1    6 years ago

There is an exhilaration in the combined fear and hopeful anticipation of seeing a black bear in the wild. I regard that experience as both an honor and a blessing.

It is a sublime experience when it happens … which is just infrequently enough to make it a thrill every time … 

original

© A. Mac/A.G.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
10.1.2  pat wilson  replied to  A. Macarthur @10.1.1    6 years ago

That is awesome !!! I was in the presence of a black bear a few years ago. I believe it was her/his territory. I didn't see her/him but observed fresh scat that indicated a not too happy bear. My friend and I made a calm retreat.

TTGA
Professor Silent
10.1.3  TTGA  replied to  A. Macarthur @10.1.1    6 years ago
There is an exhilaration in the combined fear and hopeful anticipation of seeing a black bear in the wild. I regard that experience as both an honor and a blessing.

Yup, been there a couple of times and it's great.

Buzz,

The actual danger around Black Bears is minimal, except for a couple of situations (Grizzly, Kodiak and Polar Bears are another thing entirely; they regard Humans as potential food).  First, if you see a Sow with Cubs, stay away from that area.  Like any mother (including humans), if you seem to be threatening their young, they will kill you.  Second, don't bother them by approaching any bear when they have just come out of hibernation.  They are very grumpy, hungry and dangerous.  It doesn't take much provocation to annoy them enough to attack.  Most other times, they will simply SEEM to be ignoring you.  Don't make any big bets on that though; they know where and what you are and are watching you, even when they don't seem to be doing so.

TTGA
Professor Silent
10.1.4  TTGA  replied to  TTGA @10.1.3    6 years ago

Oh yeah, the behavior of bears just out of hibernation sounded familiar.  When I thought about it, I realized that it's just like my behavior when I first wake up.  I've warned all of my grandchildren that, if they present me with a problem in the morning, that requires putting more than three coherent thoughts together, I'll probably solve it, but I may just yell at them too.  To be safe, bring me coffee with your problem.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TTGA @10.1.3    6 years ago

LOL.  The only bears I expect to see here are Panda Bears, and they are usually in zoos or in the guarded reserves for them.  However Panda bears can be dangerous as well. Although they look really cute, there have been cases of some people trying to hug them and they got mauled.

charger 383
Professor Silent
12  charger 383    6 years ago

Love the bear picture

I think color season in Shenandoah Valley is going to be short this year. Very wet and warm fall and now rain so I expect leaves to fall soon