╌>

Trump cancels US cemetery visit as diplomatic embarrassments mount

Category:  World News

Via:  lets-get-lost  •  6 years ago  •  136 comments

amidst ceremonies in the French capital to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war, a planned presidential visit to the American cemetery at Belleau, a site of immense importance to the US military, was cancelled because it was raining.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

amidst ceremonies in the French capital to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war, a planned presidential visit to the American cemetery at Belleau , a site of immense importance to the US military, was cancelled because it was raining.

========================================================================

In Paris, president cancels first world war graves visit due to rain and faces Le Monde report he muddled Baltics and Balkans

5625.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

Donald Trump is currently in Paris visiting Emmanuel Macron. Photograph: Blondet Eliot-POOL/SIPA/REX/Shutterstock

As Donald Trump met Emmanuel Macron in Paris on Saturday, he was beset by potential diplomatic embarrassment.

First, the French newspaper Le Monde reported that on a previous diplomatic occasion in Washington, the American president caused embarrassment by mixing up the Baltic states and the Balkans.

Then, amidst ceremonies in the French capital to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war, a planned presidential visit to the American cemetery at Belleau , a site of immense importance to the US military, was cancelled because it was raining.

Amidst brewing international consternation, Trump was criticised in harsh terms by Winston Churchill’s grandson. Nicolas Burns , an American diplomat who served both Republican and Democratic presidents, called that choice “astonishing”.

The Le Monde report concerned events in Washington in early April this year, when the leaders of Estonia, Lithuania and Latvia visited the White House for a meeting and a joint press conference. At the press conference , Trump praised his visitors and their countries for being good members of Nato and for not producing “fake news”.

But Le Monde perhaps risked provoking a presidential tweet on the latter subject when it reported that at the private meeting, “Trump opened by attributing to [the Baltic leaders] the responsibility for the war in Yugoslavia”.

Dalia Grybauskaitė of Lithuania , Kersti Kaljulaid of Estonia and Raimonds Vējonis of Latvia, the paper said, took “a moment to realise that ‘Baltics’ and ‘Balkan’ were getting mixed up in the mind of the American president”.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

They didn't cancel WW I because it was raining. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
Nicholas Burns   @ RNicholasBurns
Follow Follow @ RNicholasBurns
More

Nicholas Burns Retweeted Jill Colvin

Did the President really not visit the American military cemetery today in France? It is his duty to honor our soldiers who fought in 1917-18. Astonishing.

Nicholas Burns added,

Jill Colvin Verified account   @ colvinj
The White House says the president’s visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery this afternoon has been canceled because of bad weather. Kelly, his wife and Pompeo expected to go instead.
8:04 AM - 10 Nov 2018

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Way to go John - good to see your hate threads will continue.

Armistice Day is today - that's when I and millions of Veterans and non-Veterans will honor those who fell in combat and those who have proudly served in our military's.

Why don't you do the same and quit hating for one day?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2    6 years ago
Armistice Day is today - that's when I and millions of Veterans and non-Veterans will honor those who fell in combat and those who have proudly served in our military's.

And your President won't.

We're all allowed to have and express an opinion on that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2    6 years ago

I was looking at twitter a little bit about this yesterday into the evening. I searched for the keywords Trump Rain. At one point there were hundreds of new tweets every 5 minutes or so. 

This is not about me or my "hate" of Trump as you imagine. It is about the president*. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.1    6 years ago

Trump's has already honored the military and fallen way more than any Democrat president ever has, especially Obama and Clinton. Clinton said he "loathed" the military and ran off to Oxford to avoid serving.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2.3    6 years ago

John McCain would probably disagree with you on the subject of Cadet Bone Spurs.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

Damn sad situation. Raining or not there are thousands of Americans buried there and he could have taken a frickin' car as did other European leaders. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

You run out of words with which to describe this national embarrassment of a presidency. 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.1  epistte  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago
You run out of words with which to describe this national embarrassment of a presidency. 

Maybe this was the decision of his staff because they know that he is not mentally capable of the ceremony. They are trying to save face.  Either that or his orange skin dye would run and his toupee would come part in the rain. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  epistte @2.1.1    6 years ago

Shade  Of  the Reagan Presidency.....?

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.3  epistte  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.2    6 years ago
Shade  Of  the Reagan Presidency.....?

Ronnie Reagan could pull together a few hours of sanity, even in his worst periods of Altzhimers. I wonder how Mitch McConnell and Kelly Anne Conjob will defend Cadet Bone Spurs?

Trump couldn't attend the memorial because of 50°F and light rain, but he is flying back to DC where it is 31° and snowing. That makes complete sense. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  epistte @2.1.3    6 years ago

The Sikorsky Sea King is one of the finest all weather helos ever built.

The Sikorsky VH60 Whitehawk (just a dressed up Blackhawk) is also one of the finest all weather helos ever built.

It's rather an insult to believe that low clouds and drizzle could ground either of America's finest air frames and air crews.

I would rather he said he had a migraine than insult the 800 members of HMX-1

384 384 384

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.6  epistte  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.5    6 years ago

If Trump is going to lie, he needs to find a lie that cannot be broken via Google in under 3 minutes.

I live about 3 blocks from the hospital and the UH-60 that appears to be flown by the Medivac service has no problem flying in rain and even light snow. It comes in so low that the rotor wash makes the house shake.

I read something that said that the POTUS can also take advantage of the VTOH Osprey. That was news to me. The last I heard that plane had stability problems. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    6 years ago

And yet again this pos buffoon cannot act presidential.....he is an embarrassment to the U.S.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  PJ    6 years ago

I’m sure all the trump loving vets will surely be upset by this.......

This is an odd plan to make America great again.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

They had no reason to support them to begin with after how shabbily some of their brothers and sisters have been treated by this draft dodger.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.1  PJ  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    6 years ago

Apparently, the Trump loving Vets are not at all upset about Mr. Trump's slight to their " brothers and sisters ".  They've deemed it unimportant or not as important so all Vets need to move on. 

Weird that one of the principles they fought to protect they are now trying to suppress.......jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  PJ @4.1.1    6 years ago
Mr. Trump's slight to their "brothers and sisters".

That's because Vets are not pussy hat wearing snowflakes that cry about every action committed by this President.

No one care about President Trump foregoing the ceremony other than the same people who have been crying for two years...…...hear that? Listen....It's nobody caring about the lefts constant crying other than the left getting themselves into a circle jerk frenzy. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    6 years ago
this draft dodger

You must be referring to Bubba Clinton.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.4  PJ  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.3    6 years ago

Clinton can certainly be included, I agree.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  PJ @4.1.4    6 years ago

Mentioning Clinton on this seed is just an attempt to change the topic. This is about Trump blowing off an obligation as president of the United States to honor the war dead of the nation on occasions when those displays are in order. 

Trump wants to pick and choose his responsibilities and some are not his choice. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.6  PJ  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.5    6 years ago

You're right.  I fell for a whataboutism!  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  PJ @4.1.1    6 years ago

It bugs me that we paid for him to fly to Paris, just for him to ditch part of the reason he was going.  But he's also planning to meet with Putin.  Wanna bet that doesn't get cancelled?

And yet he complains about spending tax money for fire prevention in California.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.8  PJ  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.7    6 years ago

Yes, he seems to have perfected "do as I say, not as I do".  

Maybe if his supporters would acknowledge these moments the country wouldn't be so divided.  But they continue to make excuses for him.  This is more of a reflection on his supporters than on him.  I've always said as much.  

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.9  CB  replied to  PJ @4.1.1    6 years ago

And that is the way it goes. . . .! These "so-so" veterans ought to SEE THE PRESIDENT gallivanting back and forth across the United States in in-climate weather for at least a month heading up to the Mid-term elections last week. BUSTED!

This international show of unity was not important to Trump, it simply did not rise to the level of something he wanted to be a part of—so he did not go!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

This is just shameful.

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5    6 years ago
This is just shameful.

He is an embarrassment, both as a human and as an American diplomat. I'm sure that Comrade Putin is proud of his angry orange puppet. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  epistte @5.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.1    6 years ago

So, you're good with Trump not commemorating the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day because of a little rain?

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.3  epistte  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.1    6 years ago
Oh! Oh! They used up all their insults and none of them worked so it looks like they are going to recycle the Russian / Putin ones again. 

Trump slobbers over Putin like a puppy with a squeaky toy. It's sickening. It's understood that Trump will defend any dictator but his support of Putin goes above and beyond what is rational. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  arkpdx  replied to  epistte @5.1.3    6 years ago

[dleted]

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.5  epistte  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.4    6 years ago
removed for context

If the allegation of Trump involvement with the Russians is not serious then why is Trump so eager to try to discredit, muzzle or shut down the Mueller investigation? 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  arkpdx  replied to  epistte @5.1.5    6 years ago

[deleted.]

epistte
Junior Guide
5.1.7  epistte  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.6    6 years ago
Still the same old moldy material. Come on I know you can do better .

Please address my previous statement about Trump's obsession with Robert Mueller. 

lib50
Professor Silent
5.1.9  lib50  replied to    6 years ago

As opposed to the right going off the rails over ......... kneeling at a football game?  Or hysterical fearmongering over some downtrodden people walking up to ask for asylum (still hundreds of miles away)?  Or bitching about every democrat that didn't wear a flag pin one day?  Take a look in the mirror.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7  dave-2693993    6 years ago

It's raining?

Really?

(Baltic? Balkans? 220 - 221 whatever it takes?)

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  dave-2693993 @7    6 years ago
220 - 221 whatever it takes?

I still love that movie.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago
TJ   @ TJishsh
Follow Follow @ TJishsh
More

2,288 American troops, mostly Marines, are buried at # AisneMarne American Cemetery, where # Trump will not be visiting because of rain. They died in the mud of the Battle of Belleau Wood, which the French later renamed "The Woods of the Marine Brigade." Here they lie:

DrpRSGaWkAAZpEl.jpg
5:32 AM - 10 Nov 2018

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @8    6 years ago

DrpSiJDUUAAziwg.jpg

55 degrees with drizzle discouraged the president from paying honor to american ww 1 war dead 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    6 years ago

Well I guess it will go down with that Memorial Day in 2010 when Obama decided to skip the Arlington National Cemetery ceremony

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    6 years ago

Is Arlington the only national cemetery?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.2    6 years ago

Is there one in Illinois regarded as a national cemetery?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.3    6 years ago

Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.4    6 years ago

That's where Obama went, when he got called out for not going to Arlington....Humm, I guess I was a little ahead of the game, huh?

Dig
Professor Participates
8.1.6  Dig  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    6 years ago
Well I guess it will go down with that Memorial Day in 2010 when Obama decided to skip the Arlington National Cemetery ceremony

1) He didn't just blow it off. He went to Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery instead.

2) George W. Bush (R) wasn't at Arlington on Memorial Day in 2002.

3) George H.W. Bush (R) never went once during his term, and was actually vacationing in Kennebunkport 3 of his 4 Memorial Days in office.

4) Ronald Reagan (R) wasn't at Arlington on Memorial Day 4 times out of 8.

5) Clinton (D) went all 8 times.

source

Not to mention the painfully obvious fact that U.S. Memorial Day in 2010 wasn't nearly as momentous as the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.5    6 years ago

Is it a national cemetery?

Yes.

Are there fallen soldiers and veterans buried there?

Yes.

Do only those buried in Arlington matter?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @8.1.6    6 years ago

Apparently, IOKIYAR.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1    6 years ago

Maybe he thinks he will melt like the wicked witch if he gets wet.  Hey Trump!  There is new thing called an umbrella.  But he should use the kind like NY street vendors do.  It is the only size that will fully cover his fat head.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.10  epistte  replied to  Dig @8.1.6    6 years ago
1) He didn't just blow it off. He went to Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery instead.

2) George W. Bush (R) wasn't at Arlington on Memorial Day in 2002.

3) George H.W. Bush (R) never went once during his term, and was actually vacationing in Kennebunkport 3 of his 4 Memorial Days in office.

4) Ronald Reagan (R) wasn't at Arlington on Memorial Day 4 times out of 8.

5) Clinton (D) went all 8 times.

Fox News didn't mention those details in their attempt to spin Trump's decision.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.11  bbl-1  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.5    6 years ago

Well.  Obama was also called out by the Trump on the Birther thing.  The right wing is anti-American.  Anti truth.  Anti everything good and holy.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.12  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.2    6 years ago
Is Arlington the only national cemetery?

No. There is one is San Diego as well. It's Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, located on Point Loma 

My Father, Brother and Grandfather are all interned there. My Father and Grandfather are WWII Disabled Veterans, and my Brother was a Disabled Veteran from the Vietnam War. 

Trumps snubbing the soldiers who gave their life and are buried in France is the same as Trump snubbing all the other men and women in uniform who gave their life for America and buried in all parts of the world.  This shame will never be forgotten.

And how does it make our soldiers now fighting in other parts of the world and here at home feel about putting their life on the line when they see our own President thumb his nose at those who have already sacrificed their life?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1.12    6 years ago

There are 136 national cemeteries, according to the VA.

Vic is upset because Obama wasn't at the "right" one in 2010, but he was at a national cemetery, honoring those who served and died, either during that service or later.

Your father's, grandfather's, and brother's sacrifices are no less deserving of remembrance than the sacrifices of those who are interred at Arlington.

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.14  epistte  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1.12    6 years ago

Western Reserve National Cemetary is about 15 minutes from me. My aunt and uncle are interred there. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.15  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.13    6 years ago
There are 136 national cemeteries, according to the VA.

I know there re a good many other National Cemeteries, but, not sure where they all are. Thanks for the link, sandy. It is good information to have.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.16  Raven Wing  replied to  epistte @8.1.14    6 years ago
Western Reserve National Cemetary is about 15 minutes from me. My aunt and uncle are interred there.

Thank you for the info on the Western Reserve National Cemetery, epistte. May your Aunt and Uncle rest in peace.

I feel sure that many of our Veterans, their families, and those who are currently serving in our military, are not feeling happy about how our President has acted to snub those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the country he represents simply due to some light rain. This shameful action on his part will not go unnoticed, nor will soon be forgotten.

You can piss in my face all you want, but, not in the face of our brave men and women in uniform who have laid down their life to keep our country free, and protect the freedoms that allow Trump to act in such a totally disgraceful manner to all our military, current and past, who are and have served this country.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.17  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.13    6 years ago
Your father's, grandfather's, and brother's sacrifices are no less deserving of remembrance than the sacrifices of those who are interred at Arlington.

Thanks, sandy. My Mother, Grandmother and S-I-L are also buried there. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.18  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.9    6 years ago
Maybe he thinks he will melt like the wicked witch if he gets wet.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif   jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.19  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  epistte @8.1.10    6 years ago

So, if they did it, it is okay that Trump does it?

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.20  epistte  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.19    6 years ago
So, if they did it, it is okay that Trump does it?

That is not what I am saying. I am saying that Fox News didn't tell the whole truth about what the other Presidents did in their attempt to defend Donald Trump's failure to take part in a Veteran's Day observance.   The fact that they might not have been at Arlington National Cemetary doesn't mean that they didn't take part at another national cemetary.  Trump failed to show up in France at the scheduled ceremony, despite the fact that other world leaders did. He had to send a member of his staff to do his job. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8.1.21  lady in black  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.1.1    6 years ago

Trump, Pence miss Veterans Day observance at Arlington Cemetery

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10  Raven Wing    6 years ago

I wonder what would have happened during WWI and WWII if our men and women in uniform decoded not to fight against the enemy because it was raining? Or snowing? Or too hot and humid?

Trumps excuse is shameful,. There is no acceptable excuse for the President of the US not to pay respects for those who sacrificed their own life for their country no matter what the weather. To snub paying his respects to our military forces who gave their life for the country he is supposed to represent the American people is the biggest embarrassment of all. 

Trump's shameful embarrassment as the President of the United States knows no bounds. 

I would like to see how many of his supporters are standing and cheering him for thumbing his nose at our dead soldiers because he didn't want to get his feet wet from the rain. I guess it would cause his bone spurs to act up again.  /s

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I have only one question - and PLEASE do not tarnish me with interpreting it as making me a Trumpista - was the visit cancelled or postponed?  I agree that it was shameful to cancel rather than postpone it.  I think that it is still at this moment in time still November 11 in Europe, and only November 10 in the USA.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
11.1  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    6 years ago

It wasn't cancelled. They sent John Kelly and some other W H staffer in place of trump and his third wife.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @11.1    6 years ago

I would not blame any American military person, active or vet, for resenting that omission.  November 11 is not ignored by Canadians.

image14.jpg

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1.1    6 years ago

Trudeau was very eloquent in his remembrance of those who fought.

epistte
Junior Guide
11.1.3  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1.2    6 years ago
Trudeau was very eloquent in his remembrance of those who fought.

Trudeau is also bilingual, which would be to his benefit in France.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  pat wilson @11.1    6 years ago

Kelly's wife and Pompeo attended.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1.2    6 years ago

In Canada, EVERYONE buys a cloth poppy pin from the Legion member veterans who sell them, and wears it on November 11th.  Whenever I see poppies it makes me think of November 11th which is "Remembrance Day" in Canada.  If I see them here in China, as long as I have my camera with me, I photograph them, as I did here, in the Pudong District of Shanghai.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11.1.5    6 years ago

I remember when they used to do that in the US, but I haven't seen it for years.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
11.1.7  luther28  replied to  sandy-2021492 @11.1.6    6 years ago

Bought one yesterday, ours are made of paper now.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11.1.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  luther28 @11.1.7    6 years ago

I remember the ones made of paper, but I don't think I've seen them since the late 80s or so.

epistte
Junior Guide
11.1.9  epistte  replied to  luther28 @11.1.7    6 years ago
Bought one yesterday, ours are made of paper now.

In the past there was always somebody from the VFW in the vestibule of the grocery store distributing those paper poppies. I would typically give them a few dollars plus the coins in my purse.  I didn't see anyone there yesterday. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2  MrFrost  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @11    6 years ago
was the visit cancelled or postponed?

No. In fact other US delegates DID attend the memorial. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
12  pat wilson    6 years ago

The real reason trump went to Paris was to meet with putin.

Dig
Professor Participates
12.1  Dig  replied to  pat wilson @12    6 years ago

Bet he won't miss that because of some drizzle.

Also, great that we had to learn about it from the Russian press instead of from our own White House... AGAIN.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
12.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  pat wilson @12    6 years ago
The real reason trump went to Paris was to meet with putin.

No doubt to receive further orders. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
13  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Maybe if they had died of venereal disease he would have pad them more respect.  Probably not though.  Trump only considers those who didn’t get captured or die as heroes. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

The decision prompted a rash of criticism on Twitter, with Nicholas Soames, a British member of parliament who is a grandson of former Prime Minister Winston Churchill, saying that Trump was dishonoring U.S. servicemen.

“They died with their face to the foe and that pathetic inadequate @realDonaldTrump couldn’t even defy the weather to pay his respects to the Fallen ”, Soames wrote on Twitter.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
15  bbl-1    6 years ago

The WH said nothing.  However, news reports from the Kremlin, relayed through Russian media stated that Putin and the Trump were going to have a meeting.

If the Russian news media is accurate in their reports, then it is safe to assume that 'this meeting' like the 'last meeting' in Helsinki will also be secret and the Trump's trip to Paris on the taxpayers dime will not have any details of what was said, what was agreed to or...…………….what else the American president promised Putin for nothing in return.  Except maybe a continuation of low OIL per barrel prices in the short term.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Evidently the official Trump excuse is that he couldn't go because the Marine One helicopter was grounded due to the weather, and there wasn't time to plan a motorcade.

-

We are led to believe that the Trump contingent doesn't look at the local weather forecasts when they travel. 

The truth appears to be that the White House always has a alternate plan in the event weather effects local travel. The best guess is Trump didnt think the event was worth his time. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
16.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @16    6 years ago

Ben Rhodes Retweeted David Frum

I helped plan all of President Obama’s trips for 8 years. There is always a rain option. Always.

Ben Rhodes added,

David Frum Verified account   @ davidfrum
Two words: contingency plans. Previous White Houses made them. https:// twitter.com/jbarro/status/ 1061264416526737409  
6:49 AM - 10 Nov 2018

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
16.2  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @16    6 years ago

The best guess is Trump didnt think the event was worth his time. 

Not when Putin, or is that Poot'in, is waiting  in the wings.

epistte
Junior Guide
16.3  epistte  replied to  JohnRussell @16    6 years ago
Evidently the official Trump excuse is that he couldn't go because the Marine One helicopter was grounded due to the weather, and there wasn't time to plan a motorcade.

Why should we believe that ordinary medivac helicopters can fly in rain and snow but Marine One lacks the flight technology to fly in anything but VFR conditions? 

The government says that the Apache attack helicopter can fly in almost any conditions but apparently Trump's helio can't. 

The AH-64 was designed to perform in front-line environments, and to operate at night or day and during adverse weather conditions. Various sensors and onboard avionics allows the Apache to perform in these conditions

user image
Freshman Silent
16.3.1    replied to  epistte @16.3    6 years ago
The government says that the Apache attack helicopter can fly in almost any conditions but apparently Trump's helio can't. 

E.A    A List of Reasons::

1) Load Restrictions

2) Vehicle Set Up Specs

3) Security Advise

4) Decoy unavailability

5) Myriads more to the logical Mind!!

epistte
Junior Guide
16.3.2  epistte  replied to  @16.3.1    6 years ago

Trump might ant to tell Barack H. Obama that Marine One cant fly in the rain.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
17  MrFrost    6 years ago

Imagine all the misery involved in being a combatant in WWI. It had to be really horrific. But our POTUS couldn't attend a memorial...because it was raining? Just when you think that stupid bastard couldn't possibly sink any lower, he does. What a POS. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
17.1  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @17    6 years ago
Just when you think that stupid bastard couldn't possibly sink any lower, he does.

His totally arrogant, base behavior knows no bounds.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
17.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Raven Wing @17.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
17.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @17.1.1    6 years ago

removed for context

JBB
Professor Principal
18  JBB    6 years ago

My Grandfather was still fighting in France 100 years ago today.

I have a steamer trunk he took to war and back. A favorite thing.

November 11, 1918 was Armistice Day. 37 million died in WW1...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
19  Split Personality    6 years ago

Note Kelly and Dunford dedicating  a large wreath in the  "torrential downpour" /s  ?  ( Note the ground is barely wet and the honor guard leaves no wet footprints )

sad & weak on Trump's behalf...........116,561 Americans died in battle in US uniforms,  .........not worth getting wet for?

Not to mention those who fought for Britain, France and other nations...

epistte
Junior Guide
19.1  epistte  replied to  Split Personality @19    6 years ago

Thankfully Marine General Kelly was able to display the decorum and dignity required of this situation. 

Apparently, Trump only wants to dress up and play President when it is fun or possibly profitable. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
19.1.1  PJ  replied to  epistte @19.1    6 years ago

One decent action doesn't erase all the pathetically bad ones.  I give kelly  no credit but I appreciate Dunford going and representing the military. 

epistte
Junior Guide
19.1.2  epistte  replied to  PJ @19.1.1    6 years ago

I'm not sure I understand your reply. Marine General Kelly did the honorable thing and took part in the Veteran's Day ceremony, Donald Trump did not.

PJ
Masters Quiet
19.1.3  PJ  replied to  epistte @19.1.2    6 years ago

You’re right but I’m not a fan of Mr. Kelly.  I think he’s been divisive in his own right. In this instance he did the right think but in my mind it doesn’t make up for other actions like lying about congresswoman Wilson and never retracting it when the video came out showing he is a liar. I lost respect for him. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
20  Kavika     6 years ago

Last night my wife and i attended a Veterans Day dinner/dance held at our community and sponsored by our local Vet's club. 

I had the honor of sitting next to a WWII veteran who flew 21 missions with 6th Air Force over Germany before he was shot down and survived a year in a POW camp. He was in his 90's but quite spry and very sharp. 

After the dinner was over and we'd be talking for a hour or so he took my hand and said ''thank you and welcome home trooper''....I was quite surprised and I felt I should have been the one welcoming him back to the world. Anyhow it was a wonderful evening and a great reminder of the wars many of our fellow citizens fought in and those that gave the ultimate sacrifice. 

Perhaps you have had to be in the military to understand what this day can mean to us.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
20.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @20    6 years ago
Perhaps you have had to be in the military to understand what this day can mean to us.

Or perhaps a close family member, who tries, but, never seem to succeed, in forgetting all the horrors of war no matter how long ago it was. Those anxiously waiting at home for them to return, and fearing the day might come that they will be told that their loved one will never be coming home again. They fight a battle of their own in many ways. And they too, find it hard to ever forget that time in their life, even if their loved one(s) do return not as whole mentally, emotionally or physically as when they left.

Sometimes, that is the hardest battle to fight, as it never ends. 

For all our Veterans here on NT....Thank you all for your dedicated service. It will never be forgotten.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21  Sparty On    6 years ago

Yesterday was our 243rd .... happy belated birthday Marines.    Today is Veterans Day and POTUS plans to visit this cemetery today on Veterans Day.

Respects will be paid on Veterans Day (Armistice Day) .... nothing to see here ..... on to the next excuse to hate on Trump.

Happy Veterans Day to all my brothers and sisters!!!

PJ
Masters Quiet
21.1  PJ  replied to  Sparty On @21    6 years ago

Nice job......You politicized your Veterans day message by declaring some vets and families that paid the ultimate sacrifice didn't have the right to be upset with Mr Trump for not participating yesterday.  

"Happy Veteran's day to all my brothers and sisters" ..... .. but apparently only those who agree with you.

You do know that some vets are not supporters of Mr Trump.  They have a right to certain expectations on how they want to be honored and respected by this man.  If you don't care that's your choice but your decision isn't any more valid then theirs.

Our country is doomed  jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  PJ @21.1    6 years ago

I’m not politicizing jackshit.    And I have NEVER excluded recognition of ANY Vet who served honorably.  So you can can that shit.    Right now.

The folks who are politicizing this are the people who overreacted to him not going to that ceremony yesterday.    I simply pointed out what a hateful partisan overreaction it was.    Just like your response to me was.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
21.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @21.1.1    6 years ago

LOL. So now the people who pointed out what Trump did are as bad as the one who did it. 

Trumpism at it's essence. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @21.1.2    6 years ago

Yawn .... yours is just the typical partisan overreaction from a typically overly partisan source.

SOSDD John.

PJ
Masters Quiet
21.1.4  PJ  replied to  Sparty On @21.1.1    6 years ago

We see it differently.  Don't get upset because you were called out on it.  Just own it.  You're okay with him ditching his responsibility and accept his excuse.  Some Veterans and families of Veterans aren't as happy with his decision.  They are permitted their feelings.  They've earned that right and nothing you can say will take that away.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  PJ @21.1.4    6 years ago

Post bullshit and that’s what you get.   And your entire response to my post so far has been bullshit.

I own that ....

PJ
Masters Quiet
21.1.6  PJ  replied to  Sparty On @21.1.5    6 years ago

Once again you are transferring your shortsightedness on to me.  I am not responsible for the comment you made in which some, including me, felt it discarded other Veteran's POV on Mr. Trump's actions yesterday.

I tell you what......  jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif I'm feeling generous today so I'm going to give you the answer.  

"My comment wasn't intended to represent all Veterans.  I understand that some Veterans may have been offended by Mr. Trump's actions yesterday.  I believe Mr. Trump made up for his slight during today's ceremony".

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  PJ @21.1.6    6 years ago

Lol ..... 

Once again you are transferring your shortsightedness on to me.

Nope, not even close

I am not responsible for the comment you made in which some, including me, felt it discarded other Veteran's POV on Mr. Trump's actions yesterday.

Never said you were and did not discard or disrespect anyone’s viewpoint.    Not even a nice try there PJ .... try harder.

I tell you what......  I'm feeling generous today so I'm going to give you the answer.  

Generous?   Nope.    Sanctimonious?    Yep!    That said, i’ll fix all the misrepresentations made in yourcomment below:

"My comment wasn't intended to represent all Veterans.  I understand that some Veterans may have been offended by Mr. Trump's actions yesterday.  I believe Mr. Trump made up for his slight during today's ceremony".

My comment WAS intended to represent all Veterans.  And it did.   Regardless of any partisan rheroric that some might try to push that it didn’t.    Any allusion otherwise is a sophomoric attempt at pushing a complete, bullshit narrative.

I understand that some Veterans may have been offended by Mr. Trump's actions yesterday but also realize that any reasonably unbiased person could accept how plans may change.

That said, Trump clearly meet his obligation of respect to all Veterans, past or present, American or otherwise, the next day (the real Veterans Day) at a different cemetery, on the same soil, from the same war.

Any “reasonably” unbiased Vet would accept that.

PJ
Masters Quiet
21.1.8  PJ  replied to  Sparty On @21.1.7    6 years ago

I'm wounded ...... I think it was rather a very good try.  jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

I think I succeeded in some areas but I'll concede in others. I do agree that my help did come off as sanctimonious but that wasn't my intent.  I was trying to being sarcastic.  lol

I'm off for a bit but I'll be back to aggravate you later.  jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

ps - you do not speak for all Veterans.  I hope you will at minimum concede this point.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  PJ @21.1.8    6 years ago
ps - you do not speak for all Veterans.

I never said i did.   You reached and incorrectly went with that one.   I've said my piece on what i still think was mostly just a hateful partisan over reaction.   Nothing new there when it comes to trump.

Perhaps i should not have included my well wishes for Veterans in the same post but i tend to do that when ever i get the chance.   Sincerely thank all Vets for their service that is.   So if you're a Vet, i hope you had a great day yesterday and thank you for your service.

PJ
Masters Quiet
21.1.10  PJ  replied to  Sparty On @21.1.9    6 years ago

Oh for heavens sake.  

Go back and read your comment.  You most certainly did claim you speak for all Veterans and you reiterated it a second time when I pointed it out.  

Typical man amnesia.......  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

No, I'm not a veteran but I have several family members who are including my father who served in the Marine Corp.  I have family members who served and represent all branches of the military.

Happy Veteran's Day - thank you for your service 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  PJ @21.1.10    6 years ago
Go back and read your comment.  You most certainly did claim you speak for all Veterans and you reiterated it a second time when I pointed it out.  

If that is how you read what i wrote, I can't help you.    And no need to get all "she woman man haters club" on me about it.   I have an opinion ..... it differs from yours ..... i know ..... oh the humanity!!!

Happy Veteran's Day - thank you for your service 

Thank you, much appreciated.

PJ
Masters Quiet
21.1.12  PJ  replied to  Sparty On @21.1.11    6 years ago

I'm not a man hater and I'm not a feminist.  Good-bye

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  PJ @21.1.12    6 years ago

Buh bye and hope you have a nice day PJ

MrFrost
Professor Expert
21.2  MrFrost  replied to  Sparty On @21    6 years ago
Happy Veterans Day to all my brothers and sisters!!!

Happy Veterans Day Brother. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
21.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @21.2    6 years ago

You as well.    

Semper Fi Teufel Hunden!

luther28
Sophomore Silent
22  luther28    6 years ago

Have you no compassion?

He being the stuff that dreams are made of (sugar plums), may have easily had melted in the rain, what a tragic loss to humanity that would have been. Additionally His bone spurs were acting up in the dampness, really what do you expect of the man.

Unmitigated sarcasm on my part.

PJ
Masters Quiet
22.1  PJ  replied to  luther28 @22    6 years ago

I didn't consider the "bone spurs".  Yes, that may have been the deciding factor.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
22.2  Greg Jones  replied to  luther28 @22    6 years ago

Of course, when the Democrats are in power, the military and our fallen soldiers are pretty much forgotten and ignored.

Ender
Professor Principal
22.2.1  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @22.2    6 years ago

You are posting info from a website listed as actual fake news.

One that is trying to blame Obama for a republican run congress government shutdown. Then actually says that it was a disgrace that Clinton showed up to honor people that died at Normandy.

Bias:   Extreme Right, Hate Group, Propaganda

Notes: Clash Daily is a website founded by Doug Giles, an extreme christian right pastor.  The content of the website is extreme right wing that often is   not factual , unscientific and biased.  It demonstrates opposition toward LGBT people, atheists and Muslims through wording and political affiliation. Clash Daily is on   Politifact’s Fake News List . (10/19/2016) Updated (6/19/2017)

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
23  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Great seed. 

A misstatement from April and Trump listening to the secret service who nixed the trip are now diplomatic embarrassments..

Typical far left wing media freak out just to freak out and get their ignorant readers to give them clicks.  

Ender
Professor Principal
23.1  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @23    6 years ago

From what I gather, there is always a backup plan. If Marine One is grounded for weather, there is another plan in place.

trump canceled on his own.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
23.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @23.1    6 years ago

Nobody else seemed to have trouble getting there.

Ender
Professor Principal
23.1.2  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @23.1.1    6 years ago

Exactly. So once again, instead of placing blame where it belongs, on trump, they are going to kick the can and now try to blame the secret service.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
23.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @23.1.1    6 years ago
Nobody else seemed to have trouble getting there.

Yeah....maybe, out of respect for those who gave their all in the line of duty to the country he represents, could have lowered himself to ride along with those of his cabinet who found a way to get there to do what should be done. 

The reality of life is that not things revolve around a helicopter ride.