╌>

Meta: Discussion Photos

Category:  Meta for use by Perrie RA and moderators. Member meta goes into the group Metafied found on top tab

By:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  39 comments

Meta: Discussion Photos
Creativity ends with copyright

Dear Members,

When posting photos for your seeds, you must post the photo that came with the article. Otherwise, it can be construed as a copyright issue, since you are misrepresenting the article as written. 

Thank you in advance for your consideration

Perrie Halpern RA

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Please make sure you are using the photo that came with the article. If there is no photo, please use one that best fits the article. 

Thank you. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

bwah ha ha. I was wondering how long that HRC photo shop would last on the front page. good call.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

Sorry to disappoint, but he was not the cause of this. There has been an ongoing issue with me changing the photos to the correct one. I had 5 today alone. 

Let's all be nice and not point fingers. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    6 years ago

Many news articles don't have a photo with them. What do we do then, put up a smiley face emoji? 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    6 years ago

I've had that issue, too. 

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.4  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    6 years ago
"If there is no photo, please use one that best fits the article."  - Perrie says.

Answered!

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.5    replied to  CB @1.1.4    6 years ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.6  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  CB @1.1.4    6 years ago

There you go CB. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.6    6 years ago

If one does an original article (like my mushroom meme), we can use any photo, can't we?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.8  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    6 years ago

That is correct. Original articles can use any photo they deem fit as long as it is not copyright reserved. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

I had a situation where the original article had a photo of a politician and I could not get the photo to save to my computer in order to use it to complete the posting form.  Nor could I copy it to post with the article.  I therefore searched images of the politician on the internet and found a photo of him that was similar, and it would save to my computer so I used it to post the article.  Would it have been better if I had just posted my avatar in that case and posted no photo?  Is it okay with copyright law if I omit the photo in that case, and just use my avatar to post, since nothing can be posted unless an image is included?

user image
Freshman Silent
1.2.1    replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    6 years ago
and just use my avatar to post, since nothing can be posted unless an image is included?

E.A That Make it unlawful as per Her Now Admission!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    6 years ago

Buzz,

You can make a screenshot of the photo and use it from there. If you are unsure how to do that, please notify me privately. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2    5 years ago

I am updating my comment.  I have often found that if I do a search of relevant images on the internet I can find the exact photo that was used on the article that I could not save or copy, and it was possible to use the internet one - no problem.  As well, there are photos I've been able to copy but not save, in which case I copy and paste the photo to the article so it appears to be and is the same as the original, and the photo I use required to post the article could be another, but that just promotes the article, so as long as the article appears the same as the source article there is no copyright infringement.  In fact, I see nothing wrong with using a group avatar or even my own for the photo required to post, which is merely a promotion of the actual article, if necessary as long as the posted article appears with the same photo as the source article.

user image
Freshman Silent
1.3    replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago
Please make sure you are using the photo that came with the article. If there is no photo, please use one that best fits the article.  Thank you. 

E.A SO why has the " Autosellect " been Disabled  needing the SEEDER  to do Two Unnecessary DANGEROUS  Steps?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago
Please make sure you are using the photo that came with the article. If there is no photo, please use one that best fits the article.  Thank you. 

One of your moderators has a seed where he uses a photo that did not come with the article. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4    6 years ago
One of your moderators has a seed where he uses a photo that did not come with the article.

Did you flag it, or bring it to Perrie's attention for her to look at? If not, then you are are part of the problem.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    6 years ago

The only problem I have come across is sometimes an article will have a video instead of a picture.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @2    6 years ago

I have had that problem as well because there are many videos I simply am unable to open, so if I post an article with a video I add a comment at the end that the article has a video I cannot open and post a link to the original article and suggest that the reader click the link to go to the original article in order to watch the video.  As well, if there is no still photo and only a video and you are unable to copy or save an image from it then you have the same problem I have had and posted a comment about that above.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @2    6 years ago
The only problem I have come across is sometimes an article will have a video instead of a picture.

If you can do a drop and drag, the photo at the start of the video will become the photo. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2    6 years ago

I'm not sure how to drop and drag.

Here is an example. I was going to post this article about fake news from Politifact.

The first picture is an embedded vid from Vimeo. I can't seem to copy the video to even put it in the body of an article. Much less make it the main picture.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @2.2.1    6 years ago

This is how you drop and drag. You reduce the side of your screen by dragging it over a bit to the right. Then you go to the pic you want and click on it and holding down the mouse, you drag it to the desktop. From there you can use the embed to get it anywhere on the site. 

I just checked at the site you linked to and I could get the pic. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.2    6 years ago

I tried and nothing. Oh well. I click on the vid and it just starts plying. Nothing grabs for me to drag.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.4  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @2.2.3    6 years ago

OK to help you, I need your operating system and your browser. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Ender @2.2.3    6 years ago

Ender, have you tried the step-by-step instructions on the Help files under " How To Post A Non-YouTube Video In NT" 

Not sure if it will work with the video that you are wanting to insert, but, it might be worth a try.

Hope it helps.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.4    6 years ago

Win7 & Chrome.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2.7  Ender  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.5    6 years ago

Thanks Raven. I actually did that with the last article I seeded. The one about fracking. Thanks to your article on it. It helped. : )  It let me copy the vid and I embedded it at the top of the article. For that one I had used another pic that was in the article as the main photo.

This one, the one I gave as an example, for some reason will not let me do anything with the vid, odd.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.8  Raven Wing  replied to  Ender @2.2.7    6 years ago

Ender I have it now. I did checked a few steps and have now got it on my where it can be played. I have tested in on my end and it does work. You can try the steps below and see if it will work for what you want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go to the webpage where the video is located.
Right click on the video
You will see a "Share" and under it will be a link
Click on the link.
It will take you to the webpage where the video is located
The name of the video will now be "Addressing Hoaxes and Fake News"
Beneath the video there is a Download tab
Click on the Download tab to download the video to your hard drive where your download files are stored

Go to file where your download files are stored and look for "Addressing Hoaxes and Fake News"

Here the the file will be listed as an .mp4

Then prepare your article as usual and then insert this video and see if it will work.

Hope this helps.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.9  Raven Wing  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.8    6 years ago

Sorry......I forgot to nullify the link, and saw it too late here to edit it. I didn't mean for it to show up here. But, at least you can see how it will work. 

Perrie you can delete it if you wish...I didn't intend for it to show up here.  Oy!

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.10  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2.9    6 years ago

LOL.. no biggie. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.11  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.10    6 years ago

Thank you, thank you. It will much easier to follow the steps now.  (smile)

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    6 years ago

I have seen some articles/seeds that use a much different image supposedly in some relation to the article/seed but more in order to promote more the agenda of the poster than the actual intention of the article/seed. I refuse to read that kind of deceptive posting.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Raven Wing @3    6 years ago

Amen sis, we have several here that are famous for doing such... (I don't participate in those either)

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.1    replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1    6 years ago

E.A   See ::

1.3  Eagle Averro