╌>

‘God Is Surely Moving in This Nation’: Christian Musicians Worship Jesus at the White House

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  231 comments

‘God Is Surely Moving in This Nation’: Christian Musicians Worship Jesus at the White House
The “Faith Briefing” meeting was designed to give an update on all the faith-based initiatives that have been introduced by the Trump administration.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Several worship leaders and Christian artists have posted footage of a spontaneous praise session that took place in the White House yesterday. The “Faith Briefing” meeting was designed to give an update on all the faith-based initiatives that have been introduced by the Trump administration.

In one clip posted by Christian singer Tauren Wells, a group of worship leaders can be seen belting out “What a Beautiful Name” by Hillsong Worship.  

The lyrics take on particularly poignancy when you think of the historic location in which they are being sung:

“What a beautiful Name it is
What a beautiful Name it is
The Name of Jesus Christ my King

Nothing compares to this
The Name of Jesus”

Bethel Music’s director of events, Dominic Shahbon, also took to social media to express his delight at the occasion.

“Wow. What a day,” he wrote on Instagram. “Had the honor to go the White House for a #FaithBriefing with key administration officials and faith leaders. Specifically, to hear about faith initiatives that are happening. Great things are taking place whether the media tells us or not! Let’s just say that I’m leaving Washington, D.C. stirred, hopeful, convicted and informed with TRUTH.  

“God is surely moving in this nation and through His Church,” Shahbon continued. “Let’s be a people that are not letting a day go by without praying for our President and this incredible administration. Thank you @paulamichellewhite for all you do and for helping making this happen. It’s truly powerful to watch and I’m moved beyond words.”

Leaders could also be seen praying together.

The gathering appeared to be organized by Pastor Paula White, a megachurch pastor from Florida and the chair of President Trump’s faith advisory board. White’s husband is former “Journey” keyboard player, Paul Cain, who was also in attendance.

It was certainly cool to see the name of Jesus lifted high in the most famous building in America!  

What a privilege to declare the name of Jesus in worship and in prayer today at the White House. I was challenged, informed, convicted, & inspired at the # faithbriefing w/ many peers in the CCM industry. The church has a great opportunity to rise with grace & truth in this hour.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“Wow. What a day,” he wrote on Instagram. “Had the honor to go the White House for a #FaithBriefing with key administration officials and faith leaders. Specifically, to hear about faith initiatives that are happening. Great things are taking place whether the media tells us or not! Let’s just say that I’m leaving Washington, D.C. stirred, hopeful, convicted and informed with TRUTH.”

epistte
Junior Guide
2  epistte    6 years ago

They should be the time learning logic and science rather they deluding themselves with bronze-age mythology and crappy music. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago

“• Providing recommendations on programs and policies where faith-based and community organizations may partner and/or deliver more effective solutions to poverty;

• Apprising the Trump Administration of any failures of the executive branch to comply with religious liberty protections under law; and

• Reducing the burdens on the exercise of free religion.

The Initiative will be led by the newly created position of Advisor to the White House Faith and Opportunity Initiative and be supported by experts and various community and faith leaders from outside of the Federal Government, says the White House. All executive departments and federal agencies that do not already have Centers for Faith and Opportunity Initiatives will designate a liaison to the Initiative.”  https://www.google.com/amp/blog.acton.org/archives/101474-president-trump-creates-a-new-white-house-faith-based-initiative.html/amp

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.1  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago
Providing recommendations on programs and policies where faith-based and community organizations may partner and/or deliver more effective solutions to poverty;

What part of the strict separation of church and state confuses you?

Some dude named Tommy Jefferson wrote this, 

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

The actions of the government are to be kept absolutely secular at all levels for the protection of the secular and religious rights of all people. I  will not be forced to live my life by your religious fantasies and I damn sure will not pay for them to be forced on myself or anyone else. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @2.1.1    6 years ago

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.4  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.2    6 years ago

This is all very obvious to rational people. I feel like a fool for having to post it, again and again.

Why would anyone be proud of being a member of an group whose goal it is to convince a group of people to ignore reality and believe in what has no evidence of existng?  3+3 doesn't equal 26 just because you believe that it does.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2.1.1    6 years ago
I  will not be forced to live my life by your religious fantasies and I damn sure will not pay for them to be forced on myself or anyone else. 

Good, because none of that is happening.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.6  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.5    6 years ago
Good, because none of that is happening.

It is under the banner of "faith-based iniatives". 

Stripped from all excess language, the faith-based initiative would have houses of worship -- pervasively sectarian institutions in this nation -- become the recipients of federal funds and the employees of the federal government to do social services. That is a violation of the establishment of religion clause [in the Constitution.]

blank.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @2.1.4    6 years ago

I suppose reality is too difficult for some to deal with. So religion offers emotional comfort and/or fantasty to help one escape from reality. Kind of like when people play immersive world or online games to escape the real world, even to the point of getting "lost" in the game world.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2.1.6    6 years ago
It is

Do tell then. How are you being forced to live by someone else's religion? Tell us about your trip to church last week where you were forced to pray. Exactly how much of your money has gone to forcing someone else to conform to a certain religion. How many people are we talking about? What are their names?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.7    6 years ago
I suppose reality is too difficult for some to deal with.

Is that why you live in this paranoid delusion where you think people are forcing you to be Christian?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.9    6 years ago

When have I ever said anyone was forcing me to be christian? Or are you just spewing random nonsense? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.8    6 years ago
How are you being forced to live by someone else's religion?

Do you think public schools should be forced to display "In God We Trust" posters?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.12  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.10    6 years ago
When have I ever said anyone was forcing me to be christian? Or are you just spewing random nonsense? 

Oh, so when epistte wrote,

I  will not be forced to live my life by your religious fantasies and I damn sure will not pay for them to be forced on myself or anyone else.

and you gave it a thumbs-up that was an accident? Are you now saying you disagree with that statement?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.13  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.12    6 years ago

It seems your issue is with epistte, not me. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.14  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.11    6 years ago
Do you think public schools should be forced to display "In God We Trust" posters?

Should they? No, I don't see why they should be forced to, but I acknowledge that government could force them to. It's an official government motto, after all. Frankly, I see a lot of things on the walls of public schools I don't necessarily agree with. None of them force me to live life differently than I would choose to.

So I ask you a question relevant to your concern: Does that sign force a person who sees it to trust in God?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.14    6 years ago

I have problems with that particular "motto". It doesn't promote a secular government.

Does that force a person who sees it to trust in God?

Children are impressionable. Religion is something that must be left up to their parents, not their school or their government

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.15    6 years ago

The national motto isn’t a religion.  Nor is there any any religion that it promotes.  

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.17  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.16    6 years ago
The national motto isn’t a religion.  Nor is there any any religion that it promotes.  

It is a state-sponsored promotion of a belief in god, which is very obviously religious.  Its also illogical because why should people believe in what does not exist? 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.18  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.8    6 years ago
Do tell then. How are you being forced to live by someone else's religion? Tell us about your trip to church last week where you were forced to pray. Exactly how much of your money has gone to forcing someone else to conform to a certain religion. How many people are we talking about? What are their names?

There are laws based on religious belief (blue laws) and as such they are a state-sponsored promotion of religion. All religious belief must be absolutely separate from the actions of the government, so that all people have equal religious and secular rights.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.19  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @2.1.17    6 years ago

And you know for a fact that God doesn’t exist?  How did you discover this info? What is your evidence? 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.20  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.19    6 years ago
And you know for a fact that God doesn’t exist?  How did you discover this info? What is your evidence? 

That isn't how logic works. Believers are making a positive claim of god existing but there is no proof to support that claim of god existing. In the absence of any empirical proof of God we automatically revert to the previous stance that your claim of God is unproven.  Religious belief is the absence of empirical evidence. The Bible is the word of man so it also isn't proof of god. 

How many times does this need to be explained to you? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.1.21  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.19    6 years ago

Where is your evidence for a god, other than mere belief? The follow up question is, do you understand what constitutes actual evidence?

The national motto isn’t a religion. Nor is there any any religion that it promotes.

Are you suggesting the motto: "In god we trust" is not referencing the monotheistic Abrahamistic god? Or that "god" is not the basis of some religions?

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.1.22  Phoenyx13  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.19    6 years ago

i know for a fact God doesn't exist as much as i know for a fact that Unicorns, Leprechauns, Odin, Zeus, Wood Nymphs and Pegasus don't exist. Now, can you provide evidence for any of these entities existing ? They all have stories written about them in books, they all have/had worshippers - so let's see your proof that any of these entities exist. Thanks :)

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.23  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @2.1.21    6 years ago
Are you suggesting the motto: "In god we trust" is not referencing the monotheistic Abrahamistic god? Or that "god" is not the basis of some religions?

Apparently, in the eyes of XXX-does-MBFC, Thomas Jefferson's mention of a naturalist creator as the giver of rights is proof of the Abrahamic god, but the blatant mention of god in the supposed motto is claimed to be non-denominational. 

I'll buy that claim, just after a buy a suspension bridge in Death Valley

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago

I think their faith, education, how they spend their time , or what music they listen to really isn't any of your business.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.1  epistte  replied to  Tacos! @2.2    6 years ago
I think their faith, education, how they spend their time , or what music they listen to really isn't any of your business.

It most definitely becomes a public issue when it happens while they are working as elected representatives and is paid for by taxpayer dollars. Go to church on your own time and off the public time clock. When they are at work their duties are to be absolutely secular.   You'd be offended if they were praying to Mecca, Thor or Krishna on the Senate floor but you have no problem when they are praying to your god and promising to legislate your beliefs as public policy.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @2.2.1    6 years ago
It most definitely becomes a public issue when

No it really doesn't.

You'd be offended if they were praying to Mecca

I can't imagine why I would be offended. This is your hangup, not mine.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @2.2    6 years ago

You make great points.  Some it seems expect Christians to be unique in having to check our free speech and free exercise rights at the door if we are part of or are participating in an event of government.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @2.2.2    6 years ago

Exactly!  jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.5  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.3    6 years ago
You make great points.  Some it seems expect Christians to be unique in having to check our free speech and free exercise rights at the door if we are part of or are participating in an event of government.  

Maybe we atheists should start legislating our non-beliefs in government and public schools, instead of just being secular? We can start by erecting 2 meter tall bronze Humanist icons in public square and teaching the Humanist motto in public schools via recitation. After they repeat the Humanist idea they will bow to Mecca and recite the Shaddah, just for religious equality

After lunch, the students will read the Bhagavadgita and the I-Ching.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @2.2.5    6 years ago

I think we should just start with blue laws....like alcohol sales on Sunday

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.7  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.6    6 years ago
I think we should just start with blue laws....like alcohol sales on Sunday

Abortion is between a woman and her Dr. LGBT people have absolutely equal rights to us heteros in all areas. Then we start taxing church income.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @2.2.7    6 years ago

We have a lot of places to start

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @2.2.7    6 years ago
Then we start taxing church income.

Sure thing but we won't stop there.   We can tax other tax exempt entities like museums, art galleries, private schools and universities ..... credit unions and tax exempt public groups like the United Way ...... YMCA's , labor unions and tax exempt fraternal groups like the Shriners ...... etc, etc

Man think of all that new tax money we'll be collecting ...... we'll be cutting a fat hog in the ass!

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.10  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.9    6 years ago

You can't compare multi-millionaire televangelists and worldwide religious orgs' such as the Vatican to any of those other groups. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.11  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @2.2    6 years ago

It is when, what they spend their time on, effects me.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.9    6 years ago

Isn’t it interesting how that the only non profit tax exempt organizations the secular progressives want to tax are the ones reflecting our beliefs? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @2.2.10    6 years ago
You can't compare

Sure i can and just did.   Because it's absolutely a reasonable comparison.   One needs to be unbiased about such things to see that.  

Having a huge chip on one shoulders towards any component of such a discussion automatically disqualifies one from having a truly unbiased viewpoint on such matters

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Sparty On  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.12    6 years ago
Isn’t it interesting

Not really.   Its not an "us" vs "them" sort of thing like it appears to be for some here.

Its about not governing in a politically selective manner.   Going after one tax exempt group and not others does reek of partisan hypocrisy in that regard.

Big time!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @2.2.5    6 years ago

We always knew atheism is a religion and content control of those who believe other than they do is their chief operating function.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.6    6 years ago

Government Blue laws have no legitimate place or purpose as they favor some beliefs over other beliefs.  There would have to be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Blue laws to treat the three Abrahamic religions equally.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.17  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.15    6 years ago
We always knew atheism is a religion

Just like you always knew not collecting stamps was my favorite hobby and bald is my favorite hair style.

And an interesting fact, there are as many hobby stores catering to not-collecting stamps as there are atheist Churches.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.18  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.8    6 years ago

Ah, from a war on Christmas to a war on all religion. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.16    6 years ago

Didn't I basically say get rid of all blue laws?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.18    6 years ago

Oh, please, come down from that cross...we need the wood!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.21  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2.11    6 years ago

Government coordinating how it more efficiently dispenses aid during and after a disaster or more efficiently helps the poor and the homeless by involving charities that are run by faith based organizations affects you?  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.22  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.14    6 years ago

Without a doubt.  You have been right on in absolutely every word you have posted to this topic.  As usual, well said.  jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.23  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.20    6 years ago

Odd, I was about to type that very reply to you.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.23    6 years ago

I never had a hero who was nailed to a cross.......

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.25  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.24    6 years ago
I never had a hero who was nailed to a cross.......

I'm sure, much like his favorite President, HA believes Jesus is only a hero because he was captured, he prefers heroes who weren't captured and killed.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.2.26  Phoenyx13  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.16    6 years ago
Government Blue laws have no legitimate place or purpose as they favor some beliefs over other beliefs.

yet.. many states have those Blue Laws ... isn't that interesting ?

but we know it's ok because.... well... God , right ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.27  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Phoenyx13 @2.2.26    6 years ago

Actually, for the record, as a believer in a degree of separation of church and state, I oppose all blue laws.  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
2.2.28  Phoenyx13  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.27    6 years ago
Actually, for the record, as a believer in a degree of separation of church and state, I oppose all blue laws.

i agree with you on this particular comment  jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.29  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.21    6 years ago
Government coordinating how it more efficiently dispenses aid during and after a disaster or more efficiently helps the poor and the homeless by involving charities that are run by faith based organizations affects you?  

Taxpayer money should not be given to faith-based orgs because their support isn't always equal among all people.  They tend to benefit demographics of their own religion and that isn't equal.   Faith-based groups should disperse money and aid raised by their religious believers. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.2.30  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.27    6 years ago
as a believer in a degree of separation of church and state, I oppose all blue laws

How much rat poop should be allowed in ground beef? What degree of separation between the latrine and drinking fountain is a "good degree" of separation? Like, barely touching? One sort of spooning the other? While I applaud you for opposing all blue laws, I question your need for the word "degree" in that statement. Secular government and laws governing all Americans should be completely free from any religious influence. I want zero degrees of rat poop in my burgers, thank you very much.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.31  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.27    6 years ago
as a believer in a degree of separation of church and state, I oppose all blue laws.  

What exactly is a "degree?" Separation of church and state should be absolute! And I oppose blue laws too.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.32  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.31    6 years ago

Their church can play in  secular law but the state cannot regulate any religion or prohibit them from trampling the rights of others. "A degree of separation" a conservative euphemism for a theocracy of their religion. All other religions and non-believers have the religious freedom to worship as conservative Christians choose.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.33  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @2.2.32    6 years ago
All other religions and non-believers have the religious freedom to worship as conservative Christians choose.

I actually had someone tell me that once, to the effect that Christians allow other religions and beliefs here.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.34  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.33    6 years ago
I actually had someone tell me that once, to the effect that Christians allow other religions and beliefs here.

It is a common belief among a few of the religious crazies. They seem to think that one of their religious rights is to decide what the religious and secular rights of others are. 

Antonin Scalia didn't believe that there was a separation of church and state. His interpretation of the Establishment Clause should have been sufficient to deny him a seat on the federal bench. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.35  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @2.2.34    6 years ago
It is a common belief among a few of the religious crazies. They seem to think that one of their religious rights is to decide what the religious and secular rights of others are. 

Or they think their religion deserves special status or privileges.

Antonin Scalia didn't believe that there was a separation of church and state. His interpretation of the Establishment Clause should have been sufficient to deny him a seat on the federal bench.

Indeed. Not one of our better SCOTUS Justices.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.36  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.35    6 years ago
Or they think their religion deserves special status or privileges.

This is exactly why we have the strict separation of church and state, so as to keep all religions equal in the eyes of the law, despite their political/social power or the number of members in the population.

In the latest in a long line of bigoted diatribes against democracy and equality, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia declared Saturday, in remarks at a Catholic school in Louisiana, that there was no constitutional barrier to the US government discriminating in favor of religious believers against non-believers.

Scalia was speaking at Archbishop Rummel High School in the New Orleans suburb of Metairie. He rejected claims that the First Amendment requires the government to be neutral between religion and non-religion. “To tell you the truth, there is no place for that in our constitutional tradition,” he said. “Where did that come from?”

The First Amendment to the US Constitution reads as follows: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Thomas Jefferson, author of the Declaration of Independence and the state of Virginia’s declaration of religious freedom, described the First Amendment as establishing a “wall of separation” between church and state. That constitutional tradition was reaffirmed in such decisions as Everson vs. Board of Education (1947), when Justice Hugo Black wrote in his opinion, “Neither a state nor the Federal Government can set up a church. Neither can pass laws which aid one religion, aid all religions, or prefer one religion over another.”

Scalia adheres to a very different theory. He told his audience in Louisiana, “To be sure, you can't favor one denomination over another, but [you] can’t favor religion over non-religion?” On other occasions, he has specified Judeo-Christian religions, in particular, as legitimate objects of government support, provided no one sect is preferred.

In his remarks in Louisiana, Scalia elaborated a remarkable theory of American history: the United States won wars, and even specific battles, because of divine favor, a payoff from the divinity for lip service from American politicians.

"God has been very good to us,” Scalia said. “That we won the revolution was extraordinary. The Battle of Midway was extraordinary. I think one of the reasons God has been good to us is that we have done him honor. Unlike the other countries of the world that do not even invoke his name, we do him honor. In presidential addresses, in Thanksgiving proclamations and in many other ways.”

Scalia actually made a labored linguistic argument (too abstruse and indirect to detail here), tracing the separation of church and state back to words “spoken by a serpent, addressing a woman named Eve.” In other words, Jefferson’s “wall of separation” is really the spawn of Satan!

The Supreme Court justice claimed that the interpretation of the First Amendment to bar government support for religious institutions dates back only to the 1960s. Without acknowledging his real target, Scalia, an ultra-right Catholic, was aiming his fire at another Catholic, President John F. Kennedy, who made perhaps the most famous and categorical affirmation of the separation of church and state during his 1960 presidential campaign.
Indeed. Not one of our better SCOTUS Justices.

Scalia wasn't even a good Catholic because he died at a Texas resort on a Friday during Lent when Catholics are taught to live simply and eat subsistence meals without meat. He was a hypocrite till the very end. The fact that the resort weekend was paid for by an unknown someone suggest that he was bribed for a SCOTUS decision. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.37  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @2.2.36    6 years ago
Scalia wasn't even a good Catholic because he died at a Texas resort on a Friday during Lent when Catholics are taught to live simply and eat subsistence meals without meat.

I know not all Catholics adhere to that. It might be a Catholic denomination thing.

The fact that the resort weekend was paid for by an unknown someone suggest that he was bribed for a SCOTUS decision.

Hmm, curiouser and curiouser.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.38  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2.37    6 years ago
I know not all Catholics adhere to that. It might be a Catholic denomination thing.

Lent is required among all Catholics over the age of 14 and unless you have a medical/dietary problem it is a lifetime practice.  It is a common game to get a special dispensation on St Patrick's day and opening day of baseball to eat meat but I've never heard of any Catholics that get a pass on Lent otherwise. There are many old-school Latin Catholics like Scalia who still went meatless on every Friday, even outside of Lent. 

It is impossible not to pit different religions against each other because of Scalia's reading of the Establishment Clause. The fact that he puts believers over non-believers means that some religions enjoy more rights. Not all Christian religions agree, so his ruling on LGBT marriage denied some Christian sects their belief on LGBT equality. Scalia claimed to be an originalist but he commonly threw that idea out of the door when it suited him.  

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

Well I must say IF trump injects much religion into our government I will have underestimated him.

If he does he's more dangerous to our long term good than I thought. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3    6 years ago

He simply restored it to what it was under Bush 43 and undid all the anti religious liberty measures Obama took.  

Sophomore Guide
3.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    6 years ago
undid all the anti religious liberty measures Obama took.  

I didn't know our government had religious liberty. I always though it was supposed to be seperate. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.2  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    6 years ago
He simply restored it to what it was under Bush 43 and undid all the anti religious liberty measures Obama took.  

Dubya's "Faith-based initiatives" were unconstitutional because they violated the separation of church and state. The government cannot be permitted to use taxpayer dollars to support and enact legislation that endorsed any sort of religious belief. The fact that you cannot use your religiosity as a cudgel to trample the religious and secular rights of others is not in any way a violation of your religious liberty

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  epistte @3.1.2    6 years ago
Dubya's "Faith-based initiatives" were unconstitutional because they violated the separation of church and state.

Well, they seem to be going strong in spite of the High Court of Epistte pronouncing them unconstitutional. In fact, they were even expanded under Obama. You must really hate him. They were also upheld by the Supreme Court (inferior to your court of course) last year in the Trinity Lutheran case. That was a 7-2 decision, by the way.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @3.1.2    6 years ago

It would seem that Bush 43 did not violate the constitution.  There is no Supreme Court ruling saying he did.  It seems that some would rather see the poor unaided and still hungry if they got aid because government used a faith based charity to provide the aid more efficiently at a lower cost per person helped.  [deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.3    6 years ago

Secular progressives will not be happy til all evidence of religion existing in America is erased from the public square. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.4    6 years ago

[deleted]

lib50
Professor Silent
3.1.7  lib50  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.5    6 years ago

I'm not religious and not atheist, but if you want my opinion, religion would be less offensive if it was kept it to personal lives and not try to force those beliefs on others.  That would include women's healthcare and other public/governmental matters.  I want to erase their sanctimonious arrogance in assuming they are 'the truth'.  None of us can prove anything so everyone live their values,  let others live theirs, and one day we die and find out who was right.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.8  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.4    6 years ago

It's not just me who sees the separation of church and state issue in Dubya's religious idiocy, 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.9  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.5    6 years ago
Secular progressives will not be happy til all evidence of religion existing in America is erased from the public square. 

It belongs on private property, so I agree that it must be erased from the public square.  Religion is also illogical.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1.1    6 years ago

It is supposed to protect the religious liberty 🗽 and free exercise there of of all Religious belief of our citizens.  The free exercise clause is every bit as important as the establishment clause is.  

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.11  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.10    6 years ago
It is supposed to protect the religious liberty 🗽 and free exercise there of of all Religious belief of our citizens.  The free exercise clause is every bit as important as the establishment clause is.  

Your religious liberty does not include having the government enforce your religious beliefs with religious-based legislation paid for by taxpayer dollars. The actions of the government is to be absolutely secular for the protection of the religious and secular rights of all people. It is both unconstitutional and illogial for all religious groups to have their religious beliefs supported by the government just as you want to do with faith-based initiatives.

Sophomore Guide
3.1.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.10    6 years ago
The free exercise clause is every bit as important as the establishment clause is.  

I agree anyone should be able to believe and participate in any religion they chose. I just never felt that was threatened in America. I do see some religions and religious people it seems constantly pushing for more than that. I like it as it is. Practice what ever religion ya want just keep ALL religions out of our common government. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.13  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.1.12    6 years ago

I'd like to know how the religious beliefs of the Xtian majority are being threatened by enforcing the strict separation of church and state?   Our religious liberty is only the right to believe in god and the right to worship. Neither of those are threatened in any way by keeping the government absolutely secular at all levels.  The free exercise clause does not in any way mean that you can trample the religious and secular rights of others with yourown  religious beliefs because that would be illogical. If he can do it to others, because all rights must be absolutely equal, then they can do it to him when they exercise their full religious liberty. 

I need to schedule time to teach evolutionary biology, history, political philosophy, and first order logic at the Baptist church, if my religious rights are now being infringed by not doing so. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.14  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.5    6 years ago

Sounds like a paranoid delusion.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.15  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.10    6 years ago

The belief of citizens, not organizations or governments.  It also means that it protects the beliefs of ALL citizens EQUALLY.  Meaning one person's belief cannot be allowed to affect anyone else, without their permission.  many so called Christians seem to feel their beliefs are being attacked if they are not given special protections.  Anyone hear of the so-called "war on Christmas"?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.16  epistte  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.15    6 years ago
Anyone hear of the so-called "war on Christmas"?

I'm planning to carry out Operation Neptune Spear on mall Santas in a few weeks but don't tell anyone.

s/.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.15    6 years ago

There will be no war on Christmas this year.  We know that Jesus is the reason for the season.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.18  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.17    6 years ago
There will be no war on Christmas this year.  

When was there ever a "war" on X-mas?

We know that Jesus is the reason for the season.

You do realize other religious (and non-religious) celebrations occur around X-mas, right?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.19  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.17    6 years ago

There was never a war on Xmas except in the mind of Bill O'Reilly.

We know that Jesus is the reason for the season.  

Axial tilt is the reason for the season because not even the Bible says that Jesus was born in December.

Christianity: By the third century CE the main surviving Christian movement who were spiritual descendents of the first century CE Pauline Christians, had forgotten Yeshua of Nazareth's (Jesus Christ's) birth day. An anonymous third century document " The DePascha Computus," "placed Jesus birth on March 28. Clement, a bishop of Alexandria (d. ca. 215 CE), thought Jesus was born on November 18 ." 3 After much argument, the developing Christian church adopted the Pagan Emperor Aurelian's date as the birthday of their savior.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.17    6 years ago

Oh, for shit's shake.  Retailers have been pushing Christmas earlier and earlier every year, and that didn't start under Trump.  There's been no war on Christmas, but there sure has been one on Thanksgiving, with Christmas shopping starting before the damn turkey has even been put in the fridge.

Pretty soon "war on Christmas" folks will be waging war on the Fourth of July.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.21  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.20    6 years ago
Oh, for shit's shake.  Retailers have been pushing Christmas earlier and earlier every year, and that didn't start under Trump.  There's been no war on Christmas, but there sure has been one on Thanksgiving, with Christmas shopping starting before the damn turkey has even been put in the fridge.

Lowes had Xmas stuff on the floor before Halloween.  I was ticked.

The fake war on Xmas is just to push the persecution fantasy that most Christian need to feel alive.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.20    6 years ago

There is a war on Halloween, tho

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Sparty On  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.18    6 years ago

Sure, there's no war on Christmas and yet two of you can't even bring yourselves to type the word properly.

Xmas?   Hilarious!

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.24  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.23    6 years ago
Sure, there's no war on Christmas and yet two of you can't even type the word properly. Hilarious!

How is there a war in Xmas? Who has ever been arrested for saying Merry Xmas or not been able to celebrate Christmas in their home or their church?  Do you need to feel persecuted to be alive?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.25  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.24    6 years ago

See there you go ..... you spelled it out once.   Maybe there is still hope for you .....

Do you need to feel persecuted

Never said i was.   You?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.26  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.25    6 years ago

I don't celebrate fake holidays.  I'll celebrate my birthday and them my BF and I will do something  by ourselves on the 25th.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.25    6 years ago

Someone here a lot smarter than me can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but X is the Greek word for Christ. So writing "Xmas" is not irreverent or blasphemous

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.28  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.25    6 years ago
Never said i was.   You?

If you think that there is a war on Xmas then you must feel persecuted.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.29  Gordy327  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.23    6 years ago
Sure, there's no war on Christmas

Glad you agree.

and yet two of you can't even bring yourselves to type the word properly. Xmas?

You do know "X-mas" is the shorthand way of writing it, right?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.30  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.29    6 years ago

Well, two smart people basically said the same thing I did, so I don't think we'll see Sparty again in this thread

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.31  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.26    6 years ago

Fake to you, real to others.   Once you get a grip on that, drop the chip on your shoulder about it, you will likely be much happier.

Either way, no skin off my nose.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.32  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.27    6 years ago
So writing "Xmas" is not irreverent or blasphemous

You're preaching to the wrong person.   I could care less if people call it Xmas.   The reverse it not true for many others though.   Look no further than NT for proof of that.

Many people are who "purposely" call it Xmas and not "Christmas" are most definitely at war with the beliefs and traditions of Christmas.   No matter how hard some folks try to passively and/or aggressively rationalize otherwise.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.33  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.31    6 years ago
Fake to you, real to others.   Once you get a grip on that, drop the chip on your shoulder about it, you will likely be much happier. Either way, no skin off my nose.

There is no proof that Jesus ever actually existed.  I am a logical person so celebrating myths as fact is annoying.  Just admit that X-mas is really the pagan festival of Saturnalia or Yule and everything is fine.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.34  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.32    6 years ago

Then what are you getting all bent out of shape about? Let's not pretend this about "other" people at NT, because I doubt very much you really care what others think or about their feelings

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.35  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.32    6 years ago
Sure, there's no war on Christmas and yet two of you can't even bring yourselves to type the word properly.

Xmas?   Hilarious!

You're preaching to the wrong person.   I could care less if people call it Xmas.  

Your words, Sparty. I'm pretty sure folks around here don't think you're just shrugging it off

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.36  Sparty On  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.29    6 years ago
Glad you agree.

Don't quit your day job ....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.37  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.35    6 years ago

You of all people should not try to put words in other peoples mouths ..... since you dislike it so much when others do it to you.

I meant what i said and i'm very sure i didn't stutter it ......

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.38  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.37    6 years ago

I only repeated the words you typed on the screen. Now don't you feel kind of silly saying I put words in your mouth?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.39  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.33    6 years ago

I'm not taking this any further with folks lacking in faith.   No point to it.   I'm not going to convince you of anything nor will you change my mind.

Suffice it to say i'm not the one with the problem here.   Believe what you want since like i said earlier .... no skin off my nose.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.40  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.39    6 years ago
I'm not taking this any further with folks lacking in faith.

Yeah....the last desperate words of a man who knows he lost the argument

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.41  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.38    6 years ago

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.42  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.40    6 years ago

Off-base as usual there TG.

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.43  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.41    6 years ago

lol not in the least because I'm not the one playing word games

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.44  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.42    6 years ago

You responded, didn't you?

Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.45  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.44    6 years ago
You responded, didn't you?

So what?

Have a Happy Thanksgiving

Thx, I usually mange to and a very Merry Christmas as well ....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.46  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.45    6 years ago

Happy Holy Days!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.47  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.40    6 years ago

You were arguing?  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.48  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.47    6 years ago

You gave Sparty a thumbs up after he got his comment deleted.

And you wonder why I don't take you seriously.....

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.49  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.20    6 years ago

I’m opposed to stores being open on Thanksgiving Day.  We should not crowd out the day we thank God for all the blessings we have as a nation and individually.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.50  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @3.1.19    6 years ago

When we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ here on earth for his 1st coming is not important.  That we do celebrate it and remember why we do is.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.51  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.50    6 years ago

Why YOU do it.....not all of us give a shit. We're just there for the ham and the alcohol

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.52  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.51    6 years ago

I'm there for the turkey and whichever dessert contains chocolate.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.53  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @3.1.8    6 years ago

ACLU?  lol!  We hold them in the same lack of esteem and sheer and utter contempt that we hold for the SPLC and MBFC.  We rely on Judicial Watch, Alliance Defending Freedom, Liberty Council, and the ACLJ to protect and preserve our freedoms and liberty 🗽.  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
3.1.54  Phoenyx13  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.32    6 years ago
Many people are who "purposely" call it Xmas and not "Christmas" are most definitely at war with the beliefs and traditions of Christmas.   No matter how hard some folks try to passively and/or aggressively rationalize otherwise.

a great example of the persecution complex and constantly in the mindset of a "war" with everyone who thinks/acts/believes/types differently. Many people i know, including a LOT of Christians, write Xmas because it's shorter and easier to write than Christmas (and that includes their writing the word in their Xmas cards [or Christmas cards, wouldn't want you exploding because i didn't write the word Christmas] and on their church flyers for events around the Christmas holiday)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.55  Sparty On  replied to  Phoenyx13 @3.1.54    6 years ago
a great example of the persecution complex

Not really ..... not in the least actually.   But, since from what you're saying above, there clearly isn't a problem .... no one will have a problem putting the Christ back in Christmas.

Good to know ....

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.56  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.55    6 years ago

Well said.  The fear and selective outrage among some over the use of faith based charity by government, the free exercise of free speech by people visiting government regarding that issue of this seed and the true reason for this season is interesting to watch.  The Trump Administration actions on any number of issues gets far less attention than this one issue regarding the seeded article.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.57  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.49    6 years ago
I’m opposed to stores being open on Thanksgiving Day.  We should not crowd out the day we thank God for all the blessings we have as a nation and individually.

That's a mater of opinion and preference. I certainly don't waste time or energy thanking any non-existent god for anything. But you go right ahead.

When we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ here on earth for his 1st coming is not important. That we do celebrate it and remember why we do is.

See previous statement.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.58  Gordy327  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.36    6 years ago
Don't quit your day job ....

is that supposed to mean anything to me?

I'm not going to convince you of anything nor will you change my mind.

Try providing actual evidence and we'll see.

no one will have a problem putting the Christ back in Christmas.

When was it ever taken out?

Fake to you, real to others.

Most likely fake in reality too. but even children think their imaginary friends are real.

I could care less if people call it Xmas.

Odd that you felt the need to call me out for using the term 'x-mas." 

Many people are who "purposely" call it Xmas and not "Christmas" are most definitely at war with the beliefs and traditions of Christmas.

That's quite the erroneous presumption, with a hint of a silly persecution complex. BTW, many "traditions" of x-mas are not based on Christianity.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.59  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.29    6 years ago
You do know "X-mas" is the shorthand way of writing it, right?

He is offended by abbreviations and wants to declare war over their use.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.60  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.56    6 years ago
Well said.  The fear and selective outrage among some over the use of faith based charity by government, the free exercise of free speech by people visiting government regarding that issue of this seed and the true reason for this season is interesting to watch.  The Trump Administration actions on any number of issues gets far less attention than this one issue regarding the seeded article.  

1.) Having your religious beliefs subsidized by taxpayer dollars is not one of your religious rights.  Your free exercise religious rights are only the right not to be fined and arrested for believing in a god(s) and worshipping as you choose. Involving others in your religious beliefs against their will is not one of your religious rights because that would trample their equal religious rights. 

2.) You do not have the right not to have your religious beliefs critized because if that would happen then those who might criticize you are having their free speech rights trampled on by being prohibited from doing so.  Your free speech rights are only that you aren't fined and/or arrested by the government for your speech and that hasn't happened to religious people saying Merry Xmas to random people. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.61  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.55    6 years ago
Not really ..... not in the least actually.   But, since from what you're saying above, there clearly isn't a problem .... no one will have a problem putting the Christ back in Christmas. Good to know ...

Christ never was in the December 25th holiday because that is a Roman or Pagan festival of the winter equinox. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.62  Split Personality  replied to  epistte @3.1.61    6 years ago
Most Christmas customs are, in fact, based on old pagan festivals, the Roman Saturnalia and the Scandinavian and Teutonic Yule. Christians adopted these during the earliest period of Church history. The Church, however, has given this recognition and incorporates it into the Church year without too many misgivings

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.63  epistte  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.62    6 years ago

Absolute agreement.

The same goes for Easter, which is the pagan festival of spring fertility. Rabbits and eggs aren't there by accident.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.64  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  epistte @3.1.59    6 years ago
He is offended by abbreviations and wants to declare war over their use.

I can see him now, standing before a long mirror doing his best De Niro impression, "You talkin to me? You talking to me? You telling me Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas? You abbreviating my Christ's special holiday with your little X's? Huh? You want to go to war with me? Huh?...".

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.65  epistte  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.64    6 years ago

SNL needs to do that skit as soon as some religious loon cries about the fake War on Christmas. 

IIRC Sparty is a veteran, so I wonder if he is equally offended at the DoD addiction for abbreviations and acronyms?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.66  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.59    6 years ago

Is that what I said?     Nope, your words not mine.     Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.67  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.66    6 years ago
Is that what I said?     Nope, your words not mine.     Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

You have a problem with accepted abbreviations. Such as Xmas instead of Christmas.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.68  Sparty On  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.64    6 years ago

Next Atheist up?    Tag in now .... time to pile on those who are NYK.

Weak!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.69  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.67    6 years ago

Bullshit .... show me where I said that.    By specific please.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.70  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.69    6 years ago
show me where I said that.

"Sure, there's no war on Christmas and yet two of you can't even bring yourselves to type the word properly. Xmas?   Hilarious!" - 3.1.23

"See there you go ..... you spelled it out once.   Maybe there is still hope for you .." - 3.1.25

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.71  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.68    6 years ago
Next Atheist up?    Tag in now .... time to pile on those who are NYK. Weak!

What is NYK?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.72  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.66    6 years ago
You're preaching to the wrong person.   I could care less if people call it Xmas.   The reverse it not true for many others though.   Look no further than NT for proof of that. Many people are who "purposely" call it Xmas and not "Christmas" are most definitely at war with the beliefs and traditions of Christmas.   No matter how hard some folks try to passively and/or aggressively rationalize otherwise.

Do you remember saying this in 3.1.32, or am I putting words in your mouth again?

You're preaching to the wrong person.   I could care less if people call it Xmas.   The reverse it not true for many others though.   Look no further than NT for proof of that.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.73  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.72    6 years ago

Okay, let help you along with this.    Context being folks who refuse to EVER use the word “Christmas” and ONLY use words like Xmas or something other than “Christmas”.    I know there is people responding here on this thread that are like that

Regardless, I could care less if you call it FlyingSpaghettiMonsterMas but don’t try to BS me that some aren’t at war with “Christmas”.   Again, look no further than NT for proof of that.

So no, I have no problem with  “abbreviations” like Xmas.     I regularly use “Xmas” but not specifically and only like the folks “at war” with the concept of Christmas.   Get it now?

A simple “I apologize” will do ..... thx

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.74  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.71    6 years ago

A variation of NOK.    Not Your Kind.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.75  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.74    6 years ago
A variation of NOK.    Not Your Kind.

Can you translate this to English because I am having flashbacks of discussions with Eagle Avarro?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.76  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.73    6 years ago

Moving goalposts.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.77  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.73    6 years ago
Okay, let help you along with this.    Context being folks who refuse to EVER use the word “Christmas” and ONLY use words like Xmas or something other than “Christmas”.    I know there is people responding here on this thread that are like that

I commonly say Merry Christmas to people and I sent Christmas card to some people. I send more secular holiday cards to others, and there are a few that I send sarcastic cards such as "Maury Christimas" to. 

Regardless, I could care less if you call it Flying Spaghetti Monster but don’t try to BS me that some aren’t at war with “Christmas”.   Again, look no further than NT for proof of that.

The only war on Christmas is a religious delusion by Bill O'Reilly. 

So no, I have no problem with  “abbreviations” like Xmas.     I regularly use “Xmas” but not specifically and only like the folks “at war” with the concept of Christmas.   Get it now? A simple “I apologize” will do ..... thx

The only supposed X-Mas war would be cured with mass doses of Seraquel.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
3.1.78  Phoenyx13  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.55    6 years ago
Not really ..... not in the least actually.   But, since from what you're saying above, there clearly isn't a problem .... no one will have a problem putting the Christ back in Christmas. Good to know ....

why would that need to be done ? we have X-mas... does that offend you in some way ? it seems to get under your skin that X-mas is the common shorthand and used a lot by many religious and non religious people - or you wouldn't suggest putting the Christ back in Christmas since it never left. Good to know ....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.79  Gordy327  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.73    6 years ago
but don’t try to BS me that some aren’t at war with “Christmas”.   Again, look no further than NT for proof of that.

Who is at war with X-mas exactly?

and only like the folks “at war” with the concept of Christmas.

See previous statement!

Not Your Kind.

"Your kind?" Whom exactly is "your kind?"

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.80  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.79    6 years ago
and only like the folks “at war” with the concept of Christmas.

Id like for Sparty' to explain who and what concept of Christmas people are at war with. 95% of Christmas is retail gluttony.

Has anyone ever been threatened, assaulted, fined, or arrested for celebrating X-Mas as they choose to do?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.81  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @3.1.80    6 years ago

In the US?  Not since the Puritans.

Oh, and that guy in Ohio who had a zombie nativity.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.82  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.81    6 years ago
In the US?  Not since the Puritans.

In then US you are an social outcast if you choose not to take part in Christmas, even at just the retail and workplace level.

Oh, and that guy in Ohio who had a zombie nativity.

I forgot about him. Free speech!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.83  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @3.1.75    6 years ago

I can see why the flash backs.  Eagle 🦅 is generally speaking right on most of the time.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.84  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.75    6 years ago

The meaning is clear as day .....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.85  Sparty On  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.76    6 years ago

nope, they’re still in the same place they’ve always been.    In the field of reality.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.86  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.77    6 years ago

Yeah, considering the source, I didn’t really expect one.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.87  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.82    6 years ago

Bullshit, no one is making you do anything.    

Talk about your basic victims mentality.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.88  sandy-2021492  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.85    6 years ago

Please.  You complain about people using the abbreviation "xmas".  When it's pointed out to you that "xmas" has been used for centuries by Christians, then it becomes 'oh, well, just the ones who always use "xmas" are the problems".  Moving goalposts, because you couldn't carry your point.  Anyone reading the thread can see it.  Stop trying to pin your mistakes on others.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.89  Sparty On  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.88    6 years ago

Lol, pinning my mistakes on others?    I would have needed to make a mistake in the first place .... which I didn’t, regardless of your weak characterizations of such.

The fact is, people who will not say “Christmas” for the reasons i’ve Illuminated here very clearly, are being petty little bitches.    People who have no trouble using either?     Not so much!

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.90  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.89    6 years ago
The fact is, people who will not say “Christmas” for the reasons i’ve Illuminated here very clearly, are being petty little bitches.    People who have no trouble using either?     Not so much!

It is not in any way that people won't say Christmas. It's about saving a few key strokes. I used to use w/ instead of with but many people complained so I now type it out. Nobody is persecuting you or disrespecting your religious beliefs because they abbreviate Christmas as X-mas when we write it. We aren't afraid of Christmas. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.91  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.90    6 years ago
It is not in any way that people won't say Christmas.

You telling me you don’t anyone with that attitude?     That is, people who refuse to use “Christmas?”

It's about saving a few key strokes. I used to use w/ instead of with but many people complained so I now type it out.

Well now, that’s awfully big of you.

Nobody is persecuting you or disrespecting your religious beliefs because they abbreviate Christmas as X-mas when we write it.

You keep coming back to that even those i’ve proven to its not true.     I never said I feel persecuted by it, quite the opposite actually.    You have no interest in listening to anyone who you consider is not of like mind   That much is very clear

We aren't afraid of Christmas. 

Never said you were ....

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.92  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.91    6 years ago
You telling me you don’t anyone with that attitude?     That is, people who refuse to use “Christmas?”

Well now, that’s awfully big of you.

You still don't get it, despite it having been explained to you by multiple people. Nobody is refusing to say Christmas. They are using an abbreviation of Christmas to save ink or a few keystrokes. You are taking their lessened effort as a religious slight where there was none. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.93  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @3.1.92    6 years ago

The whole intent of some is to slight religion and it’s adherents in every way they possibly can.  

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.94  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.93    6 years ago
The whole intent of some is to slight religion and it’s adherents in every way they possibly can.  

Your persecution complex is out of control because nobody is trying to slight you or anyone else by typing X-mas instead of Christmas . Webster's dictionary states that it is an accepted abbreviation and doesn't mention any intended insult by the use of such.

You think that injecting logic into a discussion of religion is an insult and would prefer that your threads are limited to being conservative echo chambers. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.95  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.92    6 years ago
Nobody is refusing to say Christmas.

Yeah and I call bullshit on that.    Again!

Based on the breadth of of your posting here I highly doubt you have not run into someone with that position.    Actually probably many people.    

Heck, no matter what they say here, I know their are people responding here on this thread that have that attitude.     That much is very clear from their body of work here on NT.

Nah, I get it just fine.    It’s you that’s deluding yourself if you claim it doesn’t exist.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.96  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.95    6 years ago
Yeah and I call bullshit on that.    Again! Based on the breadth of of your posting here I highly doubt you have not run into someone with that position.    Actually probably many people.    

I have never heard of such a preposterous idea and I have certainly never run into anyone who refuses to say the word Christmas. I have never read about anyone who refuses to say the word Christmas as a form of atheist rebellion  You are the very first.

Heck, no matter what they say here, I know their are people responding here on this thread that have that attitude.     That much is very clear from their body of work here on NT. Nah, I get it just fine.    It’s you that’s deluding yourself if you claim it doesn’t exist.

It doesn't exist. It really doesn't. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.97  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.96    6 years ago

It does exist, it really does.     As evidenced by the many times i’ve witnessed and/or experienced it directly.

I find it extremely hard to believe that you’ve never experienced it but it’s clear at this point if you have, you’ll never admit it.

I’m out, have a great day.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.98  Split Personality  replied to  epistte @3.1.96    6 years ago

an oldie but goodie, lol

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.99  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.97    6 years ago
It does exist, it really does.     As evidenced by the many times i’ve witnessed and/or experienced it directly.

Unless you can post the reply in issue with some proof that the person in question used Xmas as a religious slight you have nothing to support your ridiculous claim.

I find it extremely hard to believe that you’ve never experienced it but it’s clear at this point if you have, you’ll never admit it.

I have never heard of such a bizarre idea, either here or on Facebook.  Your idea defies both logic and reality. If people wanted to insult religion they would do so but they wouldn't be so passive-agressive to simply use Xmas in place of Christmas. I still believe that you are seeing a slight that never was meant as anything but an abbreviation.

I’m out, have a great day.

Have fun.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.100  epistte  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.98    6 years ago
an oldie but goodie, lol

I've addressed some e-cards that will be sent on the 23rd. I'll buy paper cards for my few relatives that get upset at e-cards and those who aren't computer literate. I also need to remember to buy Hanukkah cards for 2 friends of the Jewish faith. 

I need to buy a wreath, but I haven't decided if we will go to the trouble of putting up a few strings of lights around the door. Its not that I want to celebrate the holiday that I obviously don't believe in, but I do like the way they look on the dark nights.  I don't plan to put up a tree since my daughter and son-in-law aren't coming home, because if I do my cat is convinced that I spent 3 hours assembling a 6' toy for his amusement.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.101  Split Personality  replied to  epistte @3.1.100    6 years ago
because if I do my cat is convinced that I spent 3 hours assembling a 6' toy for his amusement.

I was once married to  cat lady, and all of the cats thought that a xmas tree was just a gift that kept giving until every ornament was broken.

And the dog liked to eat tinsel - not a pretty site.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.102  epistte  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.101    6 years ago

The last time I put up a tree (2014) I was still finding little ornaments under the furniture all over the house in March and April. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.103  sandy-2021492  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.101    6 years ago

I had a cat who liked tinsel.  You're right - not pretty.

My cat and dog now pretty much leave the tree alone.  The cat sleeps under it, but rarely bothers the ornaments.  He might knock off one now and again, just to remind me he's a cat.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.104  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.103    6 years ago

I laughed when they astutely knocked an ornament off with their  tail and lock back over their shoulder in admiration of their own work.

or

when they accidentally knock one off and have a fright attack, lol !

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.105  sandy-2021492  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.104    6 years ago

When I first got my cat, I had both him and his brother, and the two of them together were holy terrors.  I lost a lot of ornaments that year.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.106  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.97    6 years ago

Great post.  Come back any time.  

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.107  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.99    6 years ago
Unless you can post the reply in issue with some proof that the person in question used Xmas as a religious slight you have nothing to support your ridiculous claim.

I just did ..... for at least the second time.

Are you calling me a liar?

Your idea defies both logic and reality.

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.108  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.40    6 years ago
'Yeah....the last desperate words of a man who knows he lost the argument'
Now he'll continue to tell you that he didn't lose the argument - and has to, just has to, get in the last word!  Reminds me of a poster from Texas.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.109  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.83    6 years ago
' Eagle 🦅 is generally speaking right on most of the time.'

Since when?  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.110  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.108    6 years ago

[deleted]

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.111  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.107    6 years ago
I just did ..... for at least the second time. Are you calling me a liar?

The idea that you take have chosen to take offense at the use of Xmas abbreviation does not in any way mean that offense was intended by the user. You have no proof that anyone has intended to insult Christians by the use of Xmas abbreviation.  

[deleted]

I assume that this was a personal attack that was deleted.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.112  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.109    6 years ago

As I said, most of the time.  

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.113  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.112    6 years ago
As I said, most of the time.  

Is this also a belief of yours because you agree with what he says?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.114  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.111    6 years ago
The idea that you take have chosen to take offense at the use of Xmas abbreviation does not in any way mean that offense was intended by the user.

Another fail.  

You keep trying to put words in my mouth that have clearly been refuted here ..... numerous times.   For a person who regularly claims to operate only on fact and information available it appears you actually operate more on bias and emotion than fact.    Whatever is convenient for the narrative you're pushing.   Sad.

You have no proof that anyone has intended to insult Christians by the use of Xmas abbreviation.

The proof was given and you didn't accept it.   That's your problem not mine.  

Disrespect noted .... 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.115  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.114    6 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.116  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.114    6 years ago
The proof was given and you didn't accept it.   That's your problem not mine.   Disrespect noted ....

There has been no proof put forth by you. The fact that you are insulted by the use of Xmas doesn't in any way mean that it was intended as an insult. Nobody is taking Jesus out of Chritimas by using Xmas abbrevaition.  I researched your claim and the only place on the internet that I can find people agreeing with you is on conservative Christian websites who are also upset also when anyone says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.  The world doesn't revolve around their religious beliefs. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.117  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.116    6 years ago
There has been no proof put forth by you

Sure there was.   You've just blatantly ignored/denied it.   Which is tantamount to calling my noted  experience lies.   Completely unacceptable but nothing new here considering.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.118  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.117    6 years ago

Where is the proof? Posts 73, 91,95,97,107,114.

Does the fact that someone says Happy Holidays also mean that they are trying to take Jesus out of Christmas? Is the use of "Happy Holidays" offensive to you?  I have never heard anyone verbally wish me "Merry Xmas" but I guess that it might be possible to say.

I have also never heard of Flying Spaghetti MonsterMas, but it might have possibilities, now that you bring it up.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.119  sandy-2021492  replied to  epistte @3.1.118    6 years ago
I have also never heard of Flying Spaghetti MonsterMas, but it might have possibilities, now that you bring it up.

Hot damn!  That could be the best holiday feast of the year!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.120  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.117    6 years ago

Is this your so-called proof?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.121  epistte  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.119    6 years ago

I'm going to spend a few hours tonight doing research and planning. This could be big enough that Martha Stewart has a special episode about how to decorate and what we should be cooking for FSM-Mas.  Retail could use a new holiday for a retail binge.

Bed. Bath and Beyond or Sur LaTable could sell holiday colanders with matching sweaters...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.122  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.119    6 years ago

Spaghetti and meatballs for everyone!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.123  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @3.1.121    6 years ago

I bet Bed Bath and Beyond has a great deal on red and white checked table cloths! And candles in chianti bottles

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.124  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @3.1.118    6 years ago
Is the use of "Happy Holidays" offensive to you?

I wonder if people realize that holiday is really an amalgamation (right word?) for Holy Day?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.125  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.124    6 years ago

I can't wait for conservative Christians to tell Jews, Zoroastrians, Muslims, and Buddhists, among many others that they are disrespecting their holiday by celebrating another religious holiday close to Christmas, especially when there is absolutely no evidence that  Jesus was born in December.  Most of those other religions predate Christianity,

Dec. 5, Ashura , the 10th day of the first month on the Islamic calendar. Sunnis, the largest group of Muslims, remember that the Prophet Muhammad fasted in solidarity with Jews who were observing Yom Kippur , the Day of Atonement. Shiites recall the death of Muhammad’s grandson in battle, an event that led to their differences with the Sunnis.

Dec. 8, Bodhi Day. Buddhists recall that Siddhartha Gautama vowed to sit under a tree in what is now Bodhgaya, India, and not to rise until he was enlightened. The title Buddha means “awakened one.”

Dec. 20, the Jewish festival of Hanukkah begins at sunset on this date and continues for seven more nights. It is a remembrance of an effort to restore the Temple in Jerusalem after a period of desecration. Faithful Jews found only enough oil to light the temple lamp for one day, but the flame burned for eight.

Dec. 21, Yalda, the Zoroastrian celebration of the winter solstice.

Dec. 22, Yule or winter solstice, the shortest day in the Northern Hemisphere. Juul, a pre-Christian festival observed in Scandinavia, featured fires lit to symbolize the heat, light and life-giving properties of the returning sun. Wiccans and other pagan groups celebrate Yule.

Dec. 26, Zoroastrians observe the death of the prophet Zarathushtra, known in the West as Zoroaster. Tradition says he lived in what is now Iran in about 1200 B.C. His teachings include the idea of one eternal God; seven powerful creations: sky, water, earth, plants, animals, humans and fire; and that life is a struggle between good and evil.

This is also the starting date for Kwanzaa, a weeklong, modern African-American and pan-African celebration of family, community and culture. For some people who keep Kwanzaa, the festival has spiritual overtones in its emphasis on imani, Swahili for “faith.”

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.126  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.122    6 years ago
Spaghetti and meatballs for everyone!

We could do the Feast of the 7 Meatballs or the Feast of the 7 Pasta Shapes as a Pastafarian alternative to the traditional Christmas Eve meal of Feast of the 7 Fishes. This could be huge!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.127  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.120    6 years ago

You're allegedly a smart girl, you can find it.  

I know you can .....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.128  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @3.1.125    6 years ago

I hope that some understand that the words "holy" and "sacred" are not limited to just the Christian faith

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.129  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.127    6 years ago

Let’s not get carried away!  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.130  epistte  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.128    6 years ago
I hope that some understand that the words "holy" and "sacred" are not limited to just the Christian faith

Everyone else is a heretic in their minds. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.131  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.127    6 years ago
You're allegedly a smart girl, you can find it.   I know you can .....

Why don't you point it out for all to see?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.132  Trout Giggles  replied to  epistte @3.1.131    6 years ago

That's the nicest thing he's ever said to me

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.133  Sparty On  replied to  epistte @3.1.131    6 years ago

Because i've already wasted enough time on the intentionally intellectually lazy and disingenuous in this seed.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.134  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.132    6 years ago

Not true and you know it.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.135  epistte  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.133    6 years ago
Because i've already wasted enough time on the intentionally intellectually lazy and disingenuous in this seed.

Your belief that people use Xmas as a way to supposedly remove Jesus from Christmas is not founded on fact. Xmas is merely an abbreviation with no attempt to insult anyone. 

Is the use of Xmas also part of the  War on Christmas?  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
3.1.136  Phoenyx13  replied to  epistte @3.1.135    6 years ago
Your belief that people use Xmas as a way to supposedly remove Jesus from Christmas is not founded on fact.

this is one of the many ways that the religious can claim "persecution" and keep up their mentality of "religious vs non religious" and indulge in their imaginary wars, they can feel like they are fighting for the "right" thing and against those "evil" non religious people. If they realize that little things like these in no way indicate any kind of "war" then they lose purpose with their war mentality, remember religion is all based upon emotions and belief (it's all about their feelings) - not facts, so why should their imaginary wars be any different ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.137  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.133    6 years ago

Well said and right on!  jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4  Mark in Wyoming     6 years ago

Years ago , when I was but a wee nubbin , and not even a sprout , I was told by someone that most would consider very religious , and to me was very wise, when I questioned the many different practices , that it was always best to remember the reason for the season.

Over the years I came to a conclusion that works well for me .

If a Christian friend wishes me a merry Christmas , I accept it , and say and the same to you and yours . 

If jewish friend wishes me a happy hannukah (sp) I accept it and reply and the same to you and your family.

If someone wishes me a happy Kwanza , I still say the same .

If some one wishes me a happy holidays I accept it  and repeat it to them.

What is important I think is each of these greetings is one of well wishes , dependent on the individuals beliefs and or faiths , but in the end they are ALL well wishes from one to another, and these wishes are an expression of hope , and caring and recognition of others as people , be it comes from family , friends or complete strangers. to the one giving the greeting or saying? it may very well be the reason for the season.

Oh and the one I consider wise? was my grand mother , may she rest in peace. 

and I will excuse myself from the conversation to dig out my turkey fryer and get it ready for tomorrow , the woman is most likely rolling over , with all the time she wasted teaching me how to oven roast a perfect turkey now that I deep fry them.....

My hope is when someone gives you a greeting , you all stop and see the positive in it they are conveying and smile, a statement of well wishing and not offence.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4    6 years ago

A well thought out post.  Thanks for putting it here.  It is all about the intent of the one wishing well wishes to another person.  Then it’s up to the recipient to be graceful in reply.  There likely aren’t many who would deliberately say the greeting they know will offend the one they address.  A non believer saying something other than Merry Christmas to one they know to be a Christian is the most likely deliberate intent wrong greeting.