╌>

Four European countries to stop Saudi arms sales

Category:  World News

Via:  pj  •  6 years ago  •  58 comments

Four European countries to stop Saudi arms sales

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The ongoing conflict in Yemen spurred Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands, and Finland to sign on to an arms embargo against Saudi Arabia, according to a new report.

The embargo has already earned the support of the European Parliament, along with Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, and Norway.

The Independent reported the countries are joining the weapons ban in response to Saudi Arabia's support of the Yemeni government, which is battling Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, who control much of the country, including its capital.

The war has led to a humanitarian crisis the United Nations has described as "the worst famine in the world in 100 years," along with a death toll of at least 10,000 not withstanding deaths from the famine. Civilian targets have included schools, school buses, hospitals, food supplies, water infrastructure, and weddings.

The United States has pressed for a ceasefire and peace talks in the region, announcing this month it will stop refueling of Saudi warplanes involved in the conflict earlier. Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., sponsored legislation defeated earlier this month to stop a $300 million sale of Lockheed Martin missiles and launchers to Bahrain, part of the Saudi-led coalition involved in the war.

“I think that the war in Yemen is counterproductive. I think that our involvement there is leading to more chaos, I think the Senate has abdicated their duty and their role,” said Paul.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
1  seeder  PJ    6 years ago
The war has led to a humanitarian crisis the United Nations has described as "the worst famine in the world in 100 years," along with a death toll of at least 10,000 not withstanding deaths from the famine. Civilian targets have included schools, school buses, hospitals, food supplies, water infrastructure, and weddings.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2  Ronin2    6 years ago

Another mess started and left by the Obama administration. This is what happens in a proxy war. Of course no one is talking about forcing Iran to stop backing the Houthi rebels; but unless Russia or China step Iran will not listen to anyone else.  The real question is are the Saudis (our ally and #1 customer for weapons) more evil than Iran (backed by our two biggest rivals Russia and China).

Who buys U.S. weapons

India
India
Others 51.6%
Saudi Arabia 18.0%
UAE 7.4%
Australia (6.7%)
Taiwan (5.7%)
Iraq (5.5%)
India (5.3%)
Also, of the countries that are suspending arms sales- only Germany is a major supplier. Which means the Saudis will fill the void with US weapons more than likely; increasing sales.
Denmark and Finland are not major suppliers of weapons to Saudi Arabia, but Germany certainly is. It had already suspended new arms deals to Saudi Arabia, but on Monday it widened that ban to include the transfers of weapons on existing orders as well.
So where is Saudi Arabia getting its weapons from?  Arms deals are often done in secret or with little publicity. The  Stockholm International Peace Research Institute  (SIPRI) tries to track deals involving major weapons, and a database of Saudi imports from the last decade shows the United States as the biggest supplier, followed by the United Kingdom, France, Spain and then Germany.

French exports of major weapons to Saudi Arabia were worth $174 million in 2015 but dropped to $91 million in 2016 and $27 million last year.
The value of Spanish exports also dramatically decreased in that time period, but the Spanish government confirmed this year it would go ahead with arms deals it had previously suggested it would freeze, bowing to pressure from Spanish manufacturers, according to reports.

US dwarfs other exporters

Despite these decreases, the overall value of Saudi weapons imports actually increased by 38% between 2016 and 2017.
That was almost entirely because of a huge uptick in transfers from the United States, which almost doubled its exports in terms of value from $1.8 billion to $3.4 billion in that time. Germany also multiplied its exports from $14 million to $105 million, although it is expected to be much lower this year following its suspension.
This is as fucked up as it gets. Do we back an Iranian Houthi government in Yemen against ISIS/ISIL- and the Saudis? Seems we are already doing that in Iraq.  Of course just to prove US foreign policy is crafted by morons we are backing Kurds and moderate Sunni (yeah right) factions against the Syrian government that is backed by Iran (And Russia and China).
Risking pissing off the Saudis is not worth it; especially since they are the #2 supplier of oil to the US.
But that doesn't mean it can afford to ignore Saudi Arabia's threat to retaliate against possible sanctions related to the disappearance of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
The United States still imports 7.9 million barrels of foreign crude per day and a sizable chunk comes from Saudi Arabia, the world's largest oil exporter.
Despite soaring US oil production, the United States still imported 876,000 barrels of crude a day from Saudi Arabia in July,according to the most recent government statistics .
Even though imports from Saudi Arabia have declined sharply from 10 years ago, the kingdom remains the No. 2 supplier to the United States, behind only Canada.
Saudi oil represents about 11% of total oil imports, roughly on par with 1973, the year the kingdom sent oil prices spiking by launching an embargo that crippled the American economy.
"Anyone who thinks our shale oil boom means we can rely less on Saudi Arabia, doesn't understand how the oil market works," said Bob McNally, president of consulting firm Rapidan Energy Group and an energy official under President George W. Bush.
In fact, even as US oil production ramped up in September, so did purchases of Saudi oil. The United States imported 1.1 million barrels per day of Saudi oil last month, a 16-month high, according to unofficial statistics from research firm ClipperData.

'Maxed out'

The problem is that the shale oil coming out of the Permian Basin in Texas and elsewhere is a very light blend that doesn't fit well with America's Gulf Coast refineries.
To quench America's thirst for gasoline and jet fuel, these decades-old refineries require a steady dose of medium and heavy grades of crude. Saudi Arabia's crude is the perfect match. The United States consumed almost 20 million barrels per day of petroleum products last year.
US refineries are already geared as much as they can be to US shale, said Matt Smith, director of commodity research at ClipperData.
"They are maxed out," Smith said.
That's why US oil exports have spiked since Congress lifted an export ban. Gulf Coast refineries simply can't process all that shale oil, so it gets sent to Europe, China and South America.

The central bank of oil

Beyond the crude it ships directly to the United States, Saudi Arabia has unmatched influence in world oil market. The kingdom is known as the central bank of oil. Mere words from Saudi Arabia's oil minister can send prices surging or tumbling.
Saudi Arabia's enormous sway is derived from the belief that it's the only major oil producer with the firepower to quickly ramp up oil production . That so-called spare capacity gives Saudi Arabia vast power, especially now.
"That's where Saudi Arabia's real power comes. It's not the cargo arriving at the terminal," said McNally.
Take the Saudi oil and money; and stop letting mental midgets decide US foreign policy.  Also, stop with all of the damn proxy wars- they just go on forever and the countries will never stabilize.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  Ronin2 @2    6 years ago

It started way before the scary black man.  Take a deep breath.  You're safe again, there's white people back in the white house.

Saudi Arabia is slowly losing its edge in oil .The Russians are closing the gap.  Further Saudi has been bankrolling its economy which is not sustainable.

Now what I don't understand is why the U.S. exports oil and then turns around and imports oil.  Someone needs to explain that to me.

We should be finding ways to be more self sufficient but that's not profitable.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @2    6 years ago

Who buys U.S. weapons

India
India
Others51.6%
Saudi Arabia18.0%
UAE7.4%
Australia (6.7%)
Taiwan (5.7%)
Iraq (5.5%)
India (5.3%)

Pretty sure it wasn't Obama that just sold Saudi Arabia 1.4 billion dollars worth of weapons.

Pretty sure it wasn't Obama that just gave thanks to Saudi Arabia after they murdered a US resident.

Pretty sure it wasn't Obama that just said the CIA doesn't know if a crown prince ordered the murder of a US resident, (the CIA DOES know he ordered the murder). 

Pretty sure it wasn't Obama that, on Thanksgiving Day, 2018, gave thanks to himself, and Saudi Arabia. 

Your ODS is showing.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  MrFrost @2.2    6 years ago

I'm not sure why he felt the need to bring Obama into the conversation.  He made some good relevant points that could stand on their own but it was lost in his desire to point the blame at Obama.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  MrFrost @2.2    6 years ago

You’re right I’m pretty sure Obama’s arms sales to the Saudi’s was closer to one hundred fifteen billion. 

I’m pretty sure Khashoggi was a Saudi and not an American citizen. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.3  seeder  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.2.2    6 years ago

Yes, Obama contributed to the problem and Bush pushed for Saudi Arabia to have nuclear weapons.   Which may come to pass under this Administration.

Saudi Arabia is not an ally.  They are a necessary evil.  We are making deals with the devil when we should be finding ways to avoid dealing with these types of regimes. 

He was a US resident.  Whenever I think I've figured you out you surprise me with your callousness.  Anything is acceptable as long as your stocks go up.  jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.2.2    6 years ago
I’m pretty sure Khashoggi was a Saudi and not an American citizen. 

I am pretty sure I never claimed he was an American citizen. 

So are you saying Obama and trump were both wrong or were both right? 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.2.6  Dean Moriarty  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.4    6 years ago

I’m not educated on all the complexities of the deals to make an informed decision. I generally favor free trade but am opposed to the US making deals to aid other countries in warfare. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.7  seeder  PJ  replied to    6 years ago

You asked for an example and I gave you one.  Here's another one. 

Trump and Kushner working behind the scenes to influence Turkey not to expose Saudi Arabia by offering up another US Resident, Fethullah Gulen, to cover up the Saudi Prince's involvement in Khashoggi's murder.

There are a lots of US  "residents"  that certainly DON'T have our best interests in mind. To the contrary in fact.

Let me add another faction of residents that don't have our country's best interest in mind, Trump's base.

The country needs to find ways through technology and other methods to cut out these evil regimes rather than selling our souls to the lesser evil.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.8  seeder  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.2.2    6 years ago

Your Rights as a Permanent Resident

As a permanent resident (green card holder), you have the right to:

• Live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable under immigration law
  • Work in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing. (Please note that some jobs will be limited to U.S. citizens for security reasons)
  • Be protected by all laws of the United States, your state of residence and local jurisdictions

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.2.9  Dean Moriarty  replied to  PJ @2.2.8    6 years ago

The United States has no law protecting Saudi’s from being killed by other Saudi’s outside of the US that I’m aware of. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.10  seeder  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.2.9    6 years ago

BUT your earlier comment suggested they have no rights as a US Resident which is false.  

One would think that as a US Resident and a representative/employee of a US company that the US President would speak out against their murder rather than work behind the scenes to cover up the Prince's culpability and even going as far as to offer up the life of a 2nd US Resident.  

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.11  JBB  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.2.9    6 years ago

Butt, there are such things as international laws and world courts...

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.12  Studiusbagus  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.2.2    6 years ago
You’re right I’m pretty sure Obama’s arms sales to the Saudi’s was closer to one hundred fifteen billion. 

That's so fucking hilarious! 

Those were the sales proposals to Saudi that Trump took credit for that his crack team negotiated....now that it comes to question it suddenly is Obama's

None of which has been delivered...

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.13  seeder  PJ  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.2.12    6 years ago

It's another deflection and whataboutism but Dean is correct, Obama did offer the largest arms deal in our history to Saudi under his Administration.  

It gives me no pleasure to admit Dean is right.  hahahahaha

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.14  Studiusbagus  replied to  PJ @2.2.13    6 years ago

Oh, I know he's correct about Obama making the proposal.

What's funny is that the offer that Trump held a big signing ceremony and hooplahed about how great he is to "Win" again and took all the credit for suddenly becomes Obama's bad move again. It was Obama's negotiation and proposal that Dean is referring to.

I love how these references are coming up, and how Absurd it is to go against Saudi on this because Iran and their terrorist ways...

They seem to ignore the fact that Saudi is the only country that financed the most effective and deadly terrorist attacks in US history...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.15  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
Trump is discovering what previous presidents have come to accept....that keeping a stable relationship with Saudi Arabia is a necessary evil.

So you endorse the murder of a human being, so you can save .02 cents a gallon at the pump? Gee, and here I thought trump was all about American values. Who knew that American values included endorsing murder to save a buck or two. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.16  MrFrost  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.2.6    6 years ago
I generally favor free trade but am opposed to the US making deals to aid other countries in warfare. 

On this, I will agree. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.18  seeder  PJ  replied to    6 years ago

Wally - this was a US Resident who was lured to his death.  Yes, technically he is not a US Citizen but as Frost pointed out there are international laws that the US could have solicited.

What is wrong with Trump's base that there is no humanity or decency.  This is why there is so much objection to Trump and why so many despise his base.  There is no line he won't cross and no horrible act his base won't defend. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.2.19  KDMichigan  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.2.14    6 years ago
They seem to ignore the fact that Saudi is the only country that financed the most effective and deadly terrorist attacks in US history...

Gee It didn't seem to bother people when Obama was groveling at the feet of the Saudi King.

Didn't the great Neighborhood organizer threaten congress he would veto if they allowed victims to sue Saudi Arabia for 9/11? 

It's funny how people ignored the facts back then and now it is the end of the world...

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.20  Studiusbagus  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.19    6 years ago
Obama was groveling at the feet of the Saudi King.

Wasn't that after Bush gave him one (or maybe another in a different location) lip lock kissing of the king?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.21  MrFrost  replied to  PJ @2.2.1    6 years ago
I'm not sure why he felt the need to bring Obama into the conversation.

It's the only way they can defend trump....deflection.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.22  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @2.2.19    6 years ago
Gee It didn't seem to bother people when Obama was groveling at the feet of the Saudi King.

Because it didn't happen.

Didn't the great Neighborhood organizer threaten congress he would veto if they allowed victims to sue Saudi Arabia for 9/11? 

When did trump say that? And would you rather have a neighborhood DISORGANIZER?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.23  Ronin2  replied to  PJ @2.2.1    6 years ago

I am pretty sure you are ignoring the fact that Obama supported an Iranian backed Houthi government in a fight against ISIS/ISIL after their coup; which stabilized their position. Also, gave them political backing from the US.  Pretty sure you can see why the Saudis are upset with that.

As in Iraq, the United States appears less concerned with the spread of Iranian influence and more concerned about the vacuum of power in ungoverned spaces. The United States is urging Yemenis to form a new government under the Peace and Partnership Agreement in the hope that the national government can stabilize, even under Houthi leadership. The United States, as outlined by Obama in the above quote, is most preoccupied with an attack on the homeland. Al-Qa‘ida in Yemen made two attempts at bombing planes over U.S. skies, and al-Qa‘ida in Yemen possesses skilled innovators in concealable bombs. Hence, the United States is most concerned with maintaining the capacity of the Yemen state’s military and security forces and collaborating with local partners to fight al-Qa‘ida on the ground. The Houthis’ vehement opposition to al-Qa‘ida and their demonstrated ability to stabilize society in the areas they control may buy them some support from the United States.

The effectiveness of the Houthis, at least thus far, contrasts markedly with the incompetence of America’s partners in Yemen.  Creating governed spaces is far more complicated than building alliances with the domestic security forces and having USAID promote good governance.

Yet Obama’s real legacy in Yemen is the rain of drones. For Obama the world is divided into governed spaces and ungoverned spaces. Drones neutralize threats from ungoverned spaces, and building the military and police capacities of domestic partners helps extend central state control into ungoverned spaces.  Obama declared Yemen an example of successful use of this strategy, but his bar for success is quite low.

Drones have not degraded al-Qa‘ida’s capabilities. Al-Qa‘ida in Yemen shows remarkable resilience and by all measures is stronger than when Obama began the drone program. The use of drones has generated anti-U.S. sentiment among the Yemeni public, though not support for al-Qa‘ida. The strategy of extending the military and police capabilities of the state has not succeeded. Saleh used U.S. support to build the forces under the command of his son and to deepen divisions within the Yemeni military.  As Saleh’s rule unraveled, the United States and the Gulf states tried to mend Yemen’s state with the GCC agreement that put President Hadi in power, but Hadi’s interim government failed miserably.  The only success in the Obama strategy is the lack of any new attempt by Yemen’s al-Qa‘ida branch to attack the U.S. homeland, but this comes at the cost of contributing to the destruction of Yemen.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.24  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @2.2    6 years ago

It wasn't Trump that caused the instability in Yemen; but the left is sure as hell trying to blame him for it. 

Your choices are either the Saudis (our ally) expanding their power based; or the Iranian backed Houthi taking power in Yemen, and pissing off one of the better allies in the area that supplies the US oil.

Since you (multiple comments from the left) can't seem to answer a simple question I will repeat it.

Are the Saudis (our ally) worse than the Iranians (that are backed by our two biggest adversaries in Russia and China)? 

Simple enough for you? 

Sorry, you don't get any other choices.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.25  seeder  PJ  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.23    6 years ago

Nope, that's not what I'm doing.   What I am doing is staying focused on current events. 

pssssst ......here's a secret.......we can't change what's happened in the past but we can avoid the same or similar mistakes going forward.   Let's focus on that. 

I'm feeling pretty generous tonight so that little bit of advice is free.  The next time it may cost ya something.  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    6 years ago

This doesn't seem like much of a solution to a very complex situation. Al-Qaeda and ISIS have been part of this fight for a while now. All this will do is make life easier for them and any other Iran-backed groups. There is a huge humanitarian crisis in Yemen, but weakening the stronger side seems more likely to prolong the agony than relieve it. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  seeder  PJ    6 years ago

Yes, but America under this leadership doesn't care about murder as long as the rich keep getting richer

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5  lennylynx    6 years ago

Well, now that Trump has decided to switch sides and join the ranks of the world's despots, the free world (what's left of it) will be looking to Germany and England for guidance.  Fortunately, people in those countries are not as stupid as Americans.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

This is beyond me.  There is an embargo on weapons to Saudi Arabia that is supporting a legal government that is battling a rebel group that is supported by the world's greatest promoter of terrorism - Iran, so that Iran can extend its hegemony even further than Hamas and Hezbollah.  And this is a good thing?

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    6 years ago

Can you break it down a little more Buzz.  I think you are highlighting a good point but I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on Saudi Arabia's actions and potential actions going forward.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ @6.1    6 years ago

As I said, PJ, it's beyond me - I can't explain it any further. I was the one who asked "Is this a good thing?" because the whole thing confuses me.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    6 years ago

This is beyond me.  There is an embargo on weapons to Saudi Arabia

I could be wrong, but I believe the U.S. is by far the major supplier of weapons to Saudi Arabia. (Some other countries also supply them with weapons, but apparently that's insignificant compared to to the amount the U.S. sells them).

The U.S. is not currently embargoing weapons to the Saudis (some of those other countries, who are relatively minor suppliers are embargoing weapons sales to S.A.).

The Saudis are using U.S. supplied weapons to attack numerous civilian targets. Doing some really horrific stuff-- on a large scale. Of course it should be noted that their enemies-- the Houthis (who are supplied with weapons by Iran), are also committing atrocities as well...

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    6 years ago

Why isn't Khashoggi's religion taking up his cause?

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
7.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  charger 383 @7    6 years ago

Do you have anything that says Muslims aren't reacting to the murder?

Otoh...why aren't all Catholics or Christians for that matter rising up against the church for generations of child rape?  

In some cases you'll get a similar answer..." I'm not Wahabbi" "I'm not Catholic" 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  Krishna  replied to  charger 383 @7    6 years ago

Why isn't Khashoggi's religion taking up his cause?

While Saudi Arabia is a theocracy, in the case of the Khashoggi murder, religion had nothing to do with it-- it was strictly political.

Khashoggi was a journalist who was writing things that were extremely critical of the Saudi Ruler Salman. So Salman had him killed. 

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    6 years ago

Sarah Connor : Yeah, right. How are you supposed to know? Fucking men like you built the hydrogen bomb. Men like you thought it up. You think you're so creative. You don't know what it's like to really create something; to create a life; to feel it growing inside you. All you know how to create is death and destruction...