╌>

Nearly 10 percent of college grads think Judge Judy is on Supreme Court

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  166 comments

Nearly 10 percent of college grads think Judge Judy is on Supreme Court
The report, titled "A Crisis in Civic Education," was based on a survey of 1,000 adults in August

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Nearly 10 percent of college graduates think television’s Judge Judy serves on the Supreme Court, according to a new report released this month.

The report , titled "A Crisis in Civic Education," was based on a survey of 1,000 adults in August and concludes that "recent college graduates are alarmingly ignorant of America's history and heritage.”

"They cannot identify the term lengths of members of Congress, the substance of the First Amendment, or the origin of the separation of powers," the report said, referring to college graduates. 

The lack of civic knowledge extended to the Supreme Court, where 9.6 percent of college graduates incorrectly identified Judith Sheindlin — who handles small legal disputes on the TV show "Judge Judy" — as a justice. Another 5.5 percent of college grads picked   John Kerry , the former senator who is now secretary of State, as a member of the court.

Of those surveyed, the report found only 28.4 percent of college graduates identified James Madison as the father of the Constitution, while 59.2 percent thought the answer was Thomas Jefferson. 

Nearly 40 percent of college graduates didn't know Congress has the power to declare war and less than 50 percent of the college graduates surveyed were aware that presidential impeachments are tried before the U.S. Senate.

The American Council of Trustees and Alumni, which released the report, said the results of the survey show students are being short-changed.

“Instead of demanding content-based coursework, our institutions have, in too many places, supplanted the rigorous study of history and government — the building blocks of civic engagement — with community-service activities,” the report says.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. As a retired teacher, I am appalled. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. As a retired teacher, I am appalled.

Cry first. Laughing comes when your mind is finally blown from contemplating how many stupid people are out there. Remember, this is a nation where a significant percentage of the population believes in creationism (or a flat Earth) and/or rejects evolution and other scientific facts. Appalling is putting it nicely.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    6 years ago

Alexander Hamilton was right the masses are asses. Move on.org is doing us no favor by helping them register to vote. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    6 years ago

Gordy, 

Still.. even if you don't believe in science, you should know your houses of government and they don't. How can we expect people to make educated choices when they don't get how their government works?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.1    6 years ago

Adams and Jefferson and Franklin wanted to make sure that the masses were well informed. Something happened along the way...

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.4  epistte  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.1    6 years ago
Move on.org is doing us no favor by helping them register to vote.

Are you suggesting that all of the stupid people vote Democratic?

John Stuart Mill had a few choice words on this subject,

Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.'

Conservatism appeals to ignorant people because they don't have to consider answers to problems and how things would change. Conservatism is about preserving the status quo, despite the problems that are not solved.  Change is scary to people who cannot or refuse to think. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.2    6 years ago
Still.. even if you don't believe in science, you should know your houses of government and they don't.

Just for the record, I am all about science (not that I'm saying you're implying otherwise). But I use science as an example of the collective ignorance and/or stupidity within our nation today. But that also extends to the socio-political realm (such as your government example) as well.

How can we expect people to make educated choices when they don't get how their government works?

To be fair, I don't think the government makes educated choices either. But I digress.

Adams and Jefferson and Franklin wanted to make sure that the masses were well informed. Something happened along the way

I can think of one thing as a generalization.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.6  epistte  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    6 years ago
Adams and Jefferson and Franklin wanted to make sure that the masses were well informed. Something happened along the way...

A taxpayer-supported high school education might have been sufficient in 1900 but we need to do much more and make lifetime education subsizided by the government because we are not keeping up with the worldwide standard.  The internet and PBS are not be properly utilized for this goal because they are valuable tools in addition to brick and mortar schools. I am not supporting charter schools because for the most part they have been an expensive mistake when compared to not-for-profit public education.   Teachers are insultingly underpaid for the work that they do. My older sister teaches learning disabled students and we help her buy supplies because the school budget has been slashed by Republicans.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.7  Gordy327  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.1    6 years ago
Alexander Hamilton was right the masses are asses.

Quite possibly no truer words ever spoken.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.8  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    6 years ago

Yeah politics happened...

There was a reason that GW hated politics, took a specifically stated non-political administration and thought politics had no place in government....

Those that think education should be political? Look to history to identify those people.... (and what happened to their nations)

The masses MUST be informed to make good decisions, but when it is decided politically what information is correct to be disseminated (taught) you no longer have education, you have brainwashing with propaganda......

Politics has no place in a classroom...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.9  Nowhere Man  replied to  epistte @1.1.6    6 years ago
A taxpayer-supported high school education might have been sufficient in 1900 but we need to do much more and make lifetime education subsizided by the government because we are not keeping up with the worldwide standard.  The internet and PBS are not be properly utilized for this goal because they are valuable tools in addition to brick and mortar schools. I am not supporting charter schools because for the most part they have been an expensive mistake when compared to not-for-profit public education.   Teachers are insultingly underpaid for the work that they do. My older sister teaches learning disabled students and we help her buy supplies because the school budget has been slashed by Republicans.

Nice political spiel there, right out of the NEA's campaign book...

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.10  epistte  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.9    6 years ago
Nice political spiel there, right out of the NEA's campaign book...

Do you have a rational rebuttal instead of a sweeping generalization? I do support unions because the higher wages create a stable middle class and organized labor is on a more equal footing to management.  I want well-educated teachers in the classroom instead of people with 6-month certificates who just read out of a workbook or tell students to follow the prompts on a tablet/laptop.  I've had excellent teachers and I've had horrific teachers/profs who couldn't teach the subject, even if they had a working knowledge of it. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.11  Nowhere Man  replied to  epistte @1.1.10    6 years ago

One of the most frustrating things I've had to deal with is when my local community college has a course I'm interested in taking, they make me take a basic education test to make sure I can handle education level of the course material..... (ace every single one they throw at me to the testers amazement)

I went to school back in the 50's and 60's back when they actually taught something worth using to manage your everyday life, or needed to understand the world around you....

Politics or being taught to what the teachers opinion of right was unheard of and when discovered the teachers doing such were separated from their teaching credentials.....

Today, the union specifies who gets to teach and in some cases what they are going to teach.....

And of course out here, they have the students on the picket line with them when they illegally go on strike....

What's being taught?

It certainly isn't rational thinking, looking at both sides and making a judgment? No, it's not, critical thinking skills are lost when education comes with the thinking already decided...

It's known as propaganda..

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.12  epistte  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.11    6 years ago
I went to school back in the 50's and 60's back when they actually taught something worth using to manage your everyday life, or needed to understand the world around you....

I take continuing education credits and often a course a year just for my knowledge.

Politics or being taught to what the teachers opinion of right was unheard of and when discovered the teachers doing such were separated from their teaching credentials.....

Professors should keep their opinions out of the classroom, even when asked.  They teach the material and don't editorialize.  Their opinions become public knowledge only after the material is taught or on the last day of class. 

Today, the union specifies who gets to teach and in some cases what they are going to teach.....

That should not happen. The teachers should get a voice on what books are used.

And of course out here, they have the students on the picket line with them when they illegally go on strike....

I support teachers if they feel that they deserve a raise (they usually do) or if the education system is being attacked by a partisan idea.

What's being taught? It certainly isn't rational thinking, looking at both sides and making a judgment? No, it's not, critical thinking skills are lost when education comes with the thinking already decided...

You don't teach them what to think. You teach them how to think. 

It's known as propaganda..

Everyone has an opinion.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.13  Nowhere Man  replied to  epistte @1.1.12    6 years ago
Everyone has an opinion.

Well unfortunately the teachers union in this state has a direct link into the government and the state supreme court.

Teachers union money has perverted equal representation in this state...

I only wish they taught how instead of what.....

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.14  Dulay  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    6 years ago

Considering the fact that only landed men voted, and participated in governing, they denied the right to vote to as many of 'the masses' as possible. 

Waiting until they are in college is way too late. In the 60's, we were reading the Constitution and learning civics in grade school. It used to piss me off that teachers were more into making sure we memorized dates than in making sure we understood the principles and what the events MEANT to our civilization. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  epistte @1.1.12    6 years ago
"You don't teach them what to think. You teach them how to think."

That's an idealistic statement when one sees the overly liberal bias on university campuses including the banning and shouting down of conservative or Israel-supporting, or Islamist-critical speakers on campuses. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.1.16  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.15    6 years ago
"You don't teach them what to think. You teach them how to think."

That's an idealistic statement

To me it was freedom. My parents were very conservative. They didn't really strive to teach us especially to think for ourselves it was more like they put out what they needed to control us. To them there was only one way to think and one way to do things, everything else was WRONG. 

They insisted we think and do as they did. 

It didn't last. I am my own individual. I know how to think for myself. I also learned how to learn and IMO: that is "teaching them how to think"

PS: Knowledge of a subject is not thinking, its memorization. 

Problem solving involves thinking. I'd rather know how to think about that than what day a president took office a hundred years ago. 

Just my opinion Buzz. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.16    6 years ago

You have to take into consideration the whole of my statement, not just the first few words of it.  but you are absolutely correct that memorizing facts does not indicate intelligence.

Sophomore Guide
1.1.18  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.17    6 years ago

I guess we both used the same statement to help point out different things. 

As far as anything becoming liberal my question always is about the same, Where the hell were the conservatives when this "Take over" was taking place ? 

Like with google, twitter, the media and the colleges I see a lot of anger coming from some on the right about these things but I don't see too many right wing advancements to match what they complain about. 

To me I see the world as in constant state of change. IMO: you either change, grow and adapt or be left behind, that goes for people, institutions, businesses, countries and damn near anything. 

Complaining about it or the changes doesn't change reality. 

the overly liberal bias on university campuses including the banning and shouting down of conservative or Israel-supporting, or Islamist-critical speakers on campuses. 

Did not just happen Buzz, it didn't just pop up, it has happened over time. Where were the conservatives as it happened ? 

Many I'd say were busily involved in gaining wealth, having families , jobs and controlling what they could of our political system.  The two income family was born and thrived as conservatives did this and liberalism grew as the country both gained more rights for the minorities and the population became even more diversified.

Now it seems to me that both ideologies would like the control of it all, The conservatives to kinda turn back time, I dont see that happening, its too late the world done changed too much and the liberals who seem to have some delusions about every human being equal and free stuff being the answer over personal responsibility.

I personally subscribe to neither philosophy or ideology.

PS: Buzz, I didn't address israel, I dont care to with my religious belief system being what it is. 

Thanks and have a nice whatever time of day it is there...lol :) 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.19  Nowhere Man  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.18    6 years ago
To me I see the world as in constant state of change. IMO: you either change, grow and adapt or be left behind, that goes for people, institutions, businesses, countries and damn near anything. 

But there is something that needs to be considered, societies do not change that fast, people do not change that fast. Over time anything is possible....

The issue with the campus rejections of anything conservative (the anti free speech movement) has only started since T-rump was elected and have only intensified into a media circus in the last year or so......

And it's all coming from one direction, a political direction....

The other part is that it gets more and more intensified when the political leaders make calls for it to intensify....

Given the plain evidence, minus the medias attempts to drive it further, it is an actual political movement to squelch the opposition.....

If they succeed, toss the constitution out the window..... what's to stop the other side from doing the same? The law doesn't matter and this isn't a nation of laws anymore....

Self reliance becomes critical as will self defense..... the system we have is designed to change with the times while preserving everyone's voices....

The people pushing the opposition off campuses, are the ones who want the anarchy of one voice from above in the name of progress.....

To me it isn't progress, but a step backwards towards a much more harder, evil world where law doesn't matter...

And part of the process of pushing this "progress" is deliberately failing to teach the kids the difference. they do not want the young to have the requisite knowledge to make reasoned decisions...

Sophomore Guide
1.1.20  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.19    6 years ago
But there is something that needs to be considered, societies do not change that fast, people do not change that fast. Over time anything is possible....

The issue with the campus rejections of anything conservative (the anti free speech movement) has only started since T-rump was elected and have only intensified into a media circus in the last year or so......

And it's all coming from one direction, a political direction....
a political direction.... OR  a igology position ?

As I said before where were the conservatives ?  

And NO this just did not start with trump, here are just a couple of links to back in 2013 and one of the links shows a uninvite for a same sex marriage speaker as well.   

Again the conservatives move slowly, then complain the world has changed in ways they dont like.

That's how realty and life works...  ya snooze ya lose.  

University BANS Conservative Speakers From Campus

Warner Todd Huston

September 5, 2013 4:02pm PST

Our “tolerant” Universities strike again. This time its the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill barring two conservative women from speaking on campus.

………………………………………………………………………

Who Can Speak at Providence?

Facing faculty and student outrage, college says it will permit an academic speaker in favor of same-sex marriage, under certain conditions.

By 

Scott Jaschik

September 26, 2013 

John Corvino

Providence College announced late Wednesday that, under certain conditions, it would permit a lecture by a philosopher who is an advocate of same-sex marriage. 

The other part is that it gets more and more intensified when the political leaders make calls for it to intensify....

Given the plain evidence, minus the medias attempts to drive it further, it is an actual political movement to squelch the opposition.....

Sorry the same could be said about our newest president on how he treats "the opposition" and he has plenty of republican supporters at this time.  including Fox news. 

Both ideologies seem to want to rule America, neither really want to compromise any longer. One nation divided with both opposing parties wanting full control.

That's why I no longer belong to neither political party. IMO: They both suck and only represent a smaller and smaller segment of Americans and themselfs of course. 

and so I say  Good Luck America  I Think we're gonna need it. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.21  Nowhere Man  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.20    6 years ago
That's how realty and life works...  ya snooze ya lose.  

If your talking business or financials I would agree with ya.

Your talking abut the exogenous of a society? I completely disagree.....

The conservatives were there, who do you think are getting run off campus? And yes this dumbing down of America has been going on for a long time...... It is only since T-rump has been elected that the hate has actually come out into the open.....

LONG TIME.... they stopped teaching history for social studies way back in my junior high days.... so no it's not something that has just happened.....

Point is what has happened, T-rump represents hate to those that live in hate..... so they respond in the manner that comes natural.

My question is, who taught them it is ok to hate, hate is acceptable, acting on hate is a good thing?

Because hate isn't a switch that can be flipped, it is something that has to be imbued first before you can turn it on.....

All I have to do is look towards history to see who thrives on hate to get my answer......

Unfortunately history also tells us it is going to get a lot worse before it is going to get better.

Sophomore Guide
1.1.22  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.21    6 years ago
My question is, who taught them it is ok to hate, hate is acceptable, acting on hate is a good thing?

Good question and I don't know.

My first thought was though, in the absence of love comes hate.

Perhaps with the breakdown of the family unit to a degree with the two income system that could possibly be a contributing factor. 

trump and his insults from the get go may also have helped open the door just a crack further, probably as with most stuff it's probably a combination of factors. 

But good question. 

Sophomore Guide
1.1.23  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.21    6 years ago
The conservatives were there, who do you think are getting run off campus?

It would seem if they were there in numbers they wouldn't be being run off though. 

I guess that's why minorities dont like being outnumber as well. 

Like dad used ta say son, Sometimes life just isn't fair. 

PS: I'm not advocating for anything here, I'm just trying to life in reality.which these days seems is getting harder and harder...lol 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.24  Nowhere Man  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.23    6 years ago
PS: I'm not advocating for anything here, I'm just trying to life in reality.which these days seems is getting harder and harder...lol 

I get ya my friend. same here.... My Dad used to say the exact same thing.

He also said, it isn't abut what they are doing, what are YOU going to do?

I just wish those on the college campuses had dads that taught them the same wisdom....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.21    6 years ago

Just from your comments I think you're quite a bit older than me. I had history all the way up to the day I graduated high school. In 9th grade it was PA History, 11th grade it was American History, and 12th grade it was Problems of Democracy. So....in my teeny, tiny, backward rural school, it seems like I got a lot more educated than some.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1.1.26  cms5  replied to  epistte @1.1.4    6 years ago
Conservatism appeals to ignorant people because they don't have to consider answers to problems and how things would change. Conservatism is about preserving the status quo, despite the problems that are not solved.  Change is scary to people who cannot or refuse to think. 

That's interesting as I've run into many people who should fit into your postulation...yet they are not conservative...because they are told how they should vote.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.2  TTGA  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago
As a retired teacher, I am appalled. 

Me too.  When I was teaching, the State of Michigan required one semester of American Government and two semesters of American History at the high school level (not nearly enough in my opinion).  Now, no requirements; Math and Science took up the time used for those.  Those may be important, but there are other things just as important that have been dropped.  As Robert Heinlein once wrote, "We are now in the second generation of illiteracy".

Also, the plebs have found that they can vote themselves "Bread and Circuses" at will; so they will do so endlessly, at least until the wealth that is subject to theft runs out.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TTGA @1.2    6 years ago

I don't know if this is an indictment of some of our public schools or not. My daughters took 2 years of civics and were on the debate team, so I know that our public school did its job. As you said, maybe we need national standards. Yes, as a science teacher, I understand the importance of STEM, but we also are creating tomorrows citizens. They need to understand government. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Snuffy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    6 years ago

I think the problem comes about when you have people who create standards based on their biases rather than what would make a well-rounded educated citizen.  You are correct that the students need to be taught government, unfortunately they are taught politics.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Snuffy @1.2.2    6 years ago
You are correct that the students need to be taught government, unfortunately they are taught politics.

I'm not even sure they are taught that since they do think Judge Judy is part of the Supreme Court. I'm really not sure what they are taught. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    6 years ago
hey need to understand government. 

Among many other things too. 

I'm really not sure what they are taught.

Perhaps what they are learning comes more from reality TV than actual school. I always knew Survivor was the beginning, or at least the turbo boost, of our intellectual downfall. Lol 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.3    6 years ago

Perrie, that article is almost 3 years old. Has there not been any change since then?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.5    6 years ago

Buzz,

The actual story was in the NYT 2 days ago, but I have used up my limit. Apparently not much has changed. 

Here is the more current story dealing with this:

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.6    6 years ago

China blocks a lot of, but not all, news sites. I can't open the NYTimes, Reuters, CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp), etc. but there are many that I do open such as Bing, Yahoo, MSN, ABC, NPR, CSM, etc so I'm not left without news.  Maybe China knows how much bullshit the NYT publishes.  

Sophomore Guide
1.2.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.7    6 years ago
but there are many that I do open such as Bing, Yahoo, MSN, ABC, NPR, CSM, etc so I'm not left without news.  Maybe China knows how much bullshit the NYT publishes.  

That kind of surprises me that you can get all of that. That's pretty cool. Do you get Cnn or Fox  ? or does china consider them shit stations as well ? 

most of America seems to depending on which side you are on these days. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.8    6 years ago

No problem getting CNN and Fox News.  Contrary to common belief, China does not completely censor what's happening in the world, but if the news is critical of China there's a possibility it's not seen here.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.2.10  Nowhere Man  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.7    6 years ago
China blocks a lot of, but not all, news sites. I can't open the NYTimes

Here is the basic text my friend....

By Dana Goldstein

Nov. 28, 2018

Aleita Cook, 17, has never taken a class in government, civics or economics. In the two social studies classes she took in her four years at a technical high school in Providence, R.I. — one in American history, the other in world history — she learned mostly about wars, she said.

Left unanswered were many practical questions she had about modern citizenship, from how to vote to “what the point of taxes are.” As for politics, she said, “What is a Democrat, a Republican, an independent? Those things I had to figure out myself.”

Now she and other Rhode Island public school students and parents are filing a federal lawsuit against the state on Thursday, arguing that failing to prepare children for citizenship violates their rights under the United States Constitution.

They say the state has not equipped all of its students with the skills to “function productively as civic participants” capable of voting, serving on a jury and understanding the nation’s political and economic life.

The state allows local school districts to decide for themselves whether and how to teach civics, and the lawsuit says that leads to big discrepancies. Students in affluent towns often have access to a rich curriculum and a range of extracurricular activities, like debate teams and field trips to the State Legislature, that are beyond the reach of poorer schools.

The lawyers for the plaintiffs hope the case will have implications far beyond Rhode Island, and potentially prompt the Supreme Court to reconsider its 45-year-old ruling that equal access to a quality education is not a constitutionally guaranteed right.

“Our real hope for reinvigorating our democratic institutions comes with the young people and the next generation,” said Michael Rebell, the lead lawyer for the plaintiffs and executive director of the Campaign for Educational Equity at Teachers College, Columbia University. “What we’re really seeking is for the courts, especially the Supreme Court, to take a strong stance on getting back to first principles on what the school system was established for in the United States.”

Horace Mann, an early advocate of compulsory public schooling, wrote in 1847 that education’s purpose was to foster “conscientious jurors, true witnesses, incorruptible voters.”

More recently, the retired Supreme Court justices Sandra Day O’Connor and David Souter have called for a revival of civic instruction. Since the election of President Trump, politicians from both parties have proposed civics lessons as a way to combat political ignorance and division.

The case is riding a wave of bipartisan anxiety about a national lack of civic engagement and knowledge, from voter participation rates that are among the lowest in the developed world to pervasive disinformation on social media.

We've now had at least one full generation that hasn't had civics in school. The result has been a crisis in our democracy, caused by candidates (especially one named Trump, but there are many others) who exploit citizens' ignorance of how our government works. People accept these candidates' rosy promises but lack the knowledge to realize those promises don't make sense.

Fewer than half the states hold schools accountable for teaching civics, according to a review in 2016 by the Education Commission of the States. Only 23 percent of American eighth graders were proficient in civics on the 2014 National Assessment of Educational Progress, a test that included questions on the Constitution and the roles of the various branches of government.

Rhode Island does not require schools to offer courses in government or civics, does not require standardized tests in those subjects or in history, and does not provide training for teachers in civics, the lawsuit says.

Beyond civics classes, the suit also argues that the state’s neediest children, particularly Latino immigrants and students with special needs, are failing to acquire the basic academic skills they need to effectively exercise their rights to free speech and voter participation. Among eighth grade English-language learners in 39 states, those in Rhode Island ranked last in math and second to last in reading on the 2017 National Assessment of Educational Progress.

The Rhode Island Department of Education declined to comment on the allegations in the suit.

The argument Aleita’s lawyers are making will be a heavy legal lift, as federal courts have, for four decades, been hostile to education inequality claims.

In the 1973 case San Antonio v. Rodriguez, the Supreme Court ruled 5 to 4 that the State of Texas had not violated the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment by funding schools in low-income neighborhoods at lower levels than schools in more affluent areas. In July, a federal judge in Michigan declined to challenge that precedent, ruling that “access to literacy” was not a constitutional right for schoolchildren in Detroit.

The plaintiffs’ lawyers in the Rhode Island case believe that, by focusing on civics, they can take advantage of an opening in the Rodriguez ruling. Justice Lewis F. Powell, writing for the majority, agreed with a dissenter in the case, Justice Thurgood Marshall, that educational inequality might rise to the level of a constitutional violation if it prevented students from exercising their “right to speak and to vote.”

A spotlight on the people reshaping our politics. A conversation with voters across the country. And a guiding hand through the endless news cycle, telling you what you really need to know.

Still, the difficulty of overcoming the Rodriguez precedent has led many education advocates to forgo federal courts in favor of state courts.

Nearly every state constitution guarantees the right to an adequate education. But “there is broad skepticism, even on the part of many legal liberals, that the Constitution of the United States gets involved in these sorts of matters,” said Justin Driver, a law professor at the University of Chicago and an expert on education litigation.

Mr. Rebell, the plaintiffs’ lawyer, represented New York students for 13 years in a state-level case, which led to a landmark 2003 ruling in the students’ favor over equitable school funding. But he said he continued to believe in the importance of a federal strategy. He said the civics case would make a novel, and nonpartisan, appeal to the nation’s most prominent judges and justices.

“Schools are the place where students can, and should, learn about democratic institutions, their importance, their values and disposition,” Mr. Rebell said. “I’m banking on the fact that what you might call establishment Republicans like John Roberts will really look at this on the merits, and will consider the broad implications.”

Chief Justice Roberts recently rebuked Mr. Trump for referring to a judge who ruled against the administration’s asylum policy as an “Obama judge” — and in doing so, offered a civics lesson of sorts on the independence of the judiciary.

History and civics have become curricular “stepchildren,” said Luther Spoehr, a professor of history and education at Brown University in Providence, because of the pressure on schools to raise test scores in reading and math and prepare children for work in an unforgiving economy.

Though he acknowledged that standardized tests are unpopular with many parents and teachers, Professor Spoehr said that without higher-stakes exams in government or history, schools would probably never give priority to those subjects.

“What’s taught is what’s tested,” he said.

Even if the Rhode Island lawsuit is not legally successful, he said he hoped it would create political pressure for better education in citizenship.

Aleita Cook, the plaintiff, is finally getting a powerful civics lesson by participating in the case. Though she will soon graduate from the Providence Career & Technical Academy, with plans to study photography in college, she said she wanted Rhode Island public schools to improve for her siblings’ sake.

“I don’t know what I’m supposed to know,” she said. “We’re hoping we win this lawsuit and change it to where my younger brothers can have a really good education, and go into adulthood knowing how to vote, how to do taxes, and learning basic things that you should know going into the real world.”

A version of this article appears in print on Nov. 28, 2018, on Page A18 of the New York edition with the headline: Lawsuit Says Rhode Island Failed to Teach Students to Be Good Citizens.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.2.10    6 years ago

Thank you, my friend. You know, all through school and university I never was taught civics or citizenship, or politics, or how to vote - How did I ever survive?

Sophomore Guide
1.2.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.9    6 years ago
No problem getting CNN and Fox News.  Contrary to common belief, China does not completely censor what's happening in the world, but if the news is critical of China there's a possibility it's not seen here.

O .. So that 's how they work it. Let the people see the fucked up rest of the world and control whats known about their own country. I'm glad we dont have that here !!!

We are pretty fucked up here i want to know how bad it's getting. Unfortunately not long ago COX cable tried to push my cable bill from 125 a month to over 170 bucks a month, I  literally told them to shove their cable where the sun dont shine and to drop my paid cable service..  Now I have a digital antenna and Hulu, I no longer get CNN or Fox. And I live in America. 

Go figure !!!

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

When Mom taught 5th & 6th grade social studies we had to know who was on the Supreme Court to pass 6th grade. I say we because I had her both years. We also had to memorize the states and their capitals in 5th Grade and, by continent, all the nation's of the world in 6th grade. I can still name all the states alphabetically by rote. Ours was a well funded small town school district with only about 80-90 students per grade but the standards were high in the 60s and 70s. Memorization is not stressed nearly as much today but by my own thinking memorizing the multiplication tables and learning how to do math quickly in my head was the most valuable skill I learned in school. 

My Dad's parent's rural one room school only went to eighth grade but few today could pass the strenuous exam required to graduate eighth grade. Both of my grandparents had their final exams and i am sure i could not pass them. No doubt, we lowered our educational standards. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @1.3    6 years ago

JBB,

So we are about the same age, and yes I had to know what you had to know. I have to say that my kids' school was really on top of that, too. I really don't think that is the case anymore, nationwide. That makes for an impending scary generation of voters.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.3  JBB  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.3.1    6 years ago

Someday everybody is going to figure out you talk lots of bullshit...

Which, BTW, is what I suspect some respondents did to surveyors.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.3.1    6 years ago

I remember that.. but you ended up always in trouble and I had to make you go to the board. 256

JBB
Professor Principal
1.3.7  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.2    6 years ago

Despite the claims of failing schools young people I know are informed...

I wonder if our system isn't being unfairly maligned for political reasons.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

So much for those degrees we give out to so many

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    6 years ago

They must all be graduates of liberal arts colleges!jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    6 years ago

Ed,

This level of education is supposed to be at the high school level so that they can be ready to vote at the end of high school. As for what they teach in liberal arts schools, I can't tell you personally. My girls went to Hopkins, which is almost totally STEM. 

Sophomore Guide
4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

I'm not surprised, 20% or more probably dont know how to change a car tire either. 

Hell I had a 60 year old lady ask me a while back what Washington DC was. 

and some of these people probably vote. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    6 years ago

All very true Steve. And yes, my daughters can't change a tire, LOL.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.1    6 years ago

They have AAA. And they are a bit old to drive their bikes to school.. not that they ever could ride one of those right. Here is a demo of how my kids rode their bikes: 

and no I am not kidding. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    6 years ago

When my now adult daughter was a young teenager, I taught her how to change a tire, do oil changes, jump start dead batteries, and check brake and radiator fluid levels. She does that to this day and made sure her 19 year old son can do all that as well. She does so to this day in her early 40's. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.1.3    6 years ago

Ed, 

My dad did the same thing to me, and we tried with my daughters. They are very smart but total spazzes, never mind their total lack of spatial perception, which makes them crash test dummies. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2  lady in black  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4    6 years ago

I can't change my truck tires and I'm 56.  I have AAA.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @4.2    6 years ago

I just found out I don't have a spare tire....

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    6 years ago

Better now, than out on the highway.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.3    6 years ago

It didn't come with a spare but it did come with an electric air pump....

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.5  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    6 years ago

Mine's underneath the back of the truck....it's a pain to even get it out much less trying to change it.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.6  dave-2693993  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.4    6 years ago

Better than nothing, but I can imagine some scenarios where the pump will be useless. Does it have room for one of the mini spares?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.6    6 years ago

I could put one in the hatch

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.8  dave-2693993  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.7    6 years ago

That could be a good idea.

Though not often needed, they are invaluable at the times they are needed.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5  pat wilson    6 years ago

She should be, lol.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  pat wilson @5    6 years ago

Tru dat.

JBB
Professor Principal
7  JBB    6 years ago

10% think Judge Judy is a Supreme Court justice butt 36% approve of Trumpism... 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    6 years ago

Being a citizen of a democracy means you have a responsibility to understand at least the basics of how our system works. I won't say you have to know everything about everything or the names of all the important people, but a working knowledge of the basic framework - and the history behind it - is critical. Too many people think they have no such responsibility and so the kind of knowledge described here is just "stupid trivia" to them.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @8    6 years ago

I have to agree with you Tacos!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @8.1.1    6 years ago

Sometimes Tacos repeats on me, but only when the site is malfunctioning. 

TTGA
Professor Silent
8.2  TTGA  replied to  Tacos! @8    6 years ago
a working knowledge of the basic framework - and the history behind it - is critical.

Tacos,

My standard final exam essay question for my American Government classes was always the same one; "Explain how a bill becomes a law".  Many of these students were adults who were returning to school to obtain diplomas after quitting school at a young age.  The answer didn't have to be particularly detailed to pass.  Among those students still in high school, the average passing that question was 55% (this was in the early to mid 80's; it's far worse now, I have friends still in the profession who keep records).  Among those in the adult ed classes, it varied by generation.  Among those who quit school during WWII to join the military or take industrial war jobs (including my own mother), the average passing that question was 96%.  Among those who left school later, it was 43%.  (Yes, I too kept records).

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
8.2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  TTGA @8.2    6 years ago

I learned most of what I know about bills from Bill Cosby. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.2.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @8.2.1    6 years ago

Hey Dean thanks for the video... 

I had forgotten that Cosby did them. How the mighty have fallen. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9  dave-2693993    6 years ago
Nearly 10 percent of college graduates think television’s Judge Judy serves on the Supreme Court, according to a new report released this month.

You mean she's NOT?!!! (BTW, is "/s" really required at the end of that sentence?)

Alright, so, I am not a fan of stupid people influencing the direction of our country, but who draws the line? Where is it or they drawn?

Is it IQ determined? IQ of civics? What passes and what fails? Are there grading curves for some and not for others?

What about psychological balance? What determines imbalance with regard to this?

Will there be new demographic categories from such measures?

Just looking at the tip of the iceberg here, and a little curious.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @9    6 years ago

Dave, 

I was thinking more in the way of national standards for the future. Of course, even these nimrods can vote, but let's not repeat the same mistake.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    6 years ago

Thanks Perrie.

Then how would these national standards be enforced come election time?

Again, I refer back to the question of curves.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @9.1.1    6 years ago

Well, traditionally, during your junior and senior year you are supposed to take civics. We could just start from there. That would at least get the next group of voters ready. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
9.1.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    6 years ago

I can see something like that could be a help.

At voting time would an assumption exist that the voters are well equipped to assess the issues and vote according to educated understandings?

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     6 years ago

I can't believe that some people thing that Judge Judy is on the Supreme Court...I though that everyone knew that she was on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Geez people.

Pay attention there us going to be a test at the completion of this article.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @10    6 years ago
I though that everyone knew that she was on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit

She was? I always thought they introduced her as a family court judge

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
11  lennylynx    6 years ago

She's a helluva lot more qualified than Kavvyboy will ever be.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
12  Nowhere Man    6 years ago

Of course this was released in January of 2016, so it is almost 3 years old, and done during the Obama Administration hence the reference to Kerry as the SoS.....

Finally, something T-Rump didn't have anything to do with.... jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent
12.1  TTGA  replied to  Nowhere Man @12    6 years ago
Finally, something T-Rump didn't have anything to do with...

Doesn't really matter.  This situation has been ongoing since Kennedy was President (and getting worse as it goes along).

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.2  Dulay  replied to  Nowhere Man @12    6 years ago
Finally, something T-Rump didn't have anything to do with....

Yet Trump is a perfect example of someone who lacks a basic understanding of the role of government. Trump still thinks that the Attorney General is his personal lawyer and that the DOJ are his personal hit squad. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
12.2.2  Dulay  replied to    6 years ago
Trump has much understanding as the most liberal they think the government is there to take care of them and to punish their political opponents.

Isn't that EXACTLY what Trump has been demanding for two years? 

Trump thinks the AG is his personal lawyer it's a wash.

Nope. Trump has used the government to punish his political opponents and tried to force others to do his bidding.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
13  Dulay    6 years ago

BTW y'all, as bad as the data in the survey is on College graduates, the data from the answers from the 'American public' are worse. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
14  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

I wonder if the headline shouldn’t read “10% of college grads have a healthy sense of sarcasm”.  I find this hard to believe.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
16  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

I bet the number of Americans who can actually name a SCOTUS judge is even less. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
17  Sparty On    6 years ago

I always like the late night segments ( i think Leno might have started it) when they would go out on the NYC streets and ask random people easy questions.   Like who is our VP?   What holiday celebrates our Independence?    Who was our first POTUS, etc.     

I'm sure they only took the funny ones for effect but regardless, some of the answers or lack thereof were more scary than funny .... crazy stupid stuff there.