╌>

Thinking about what's right in America

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  mbfc-is-censorship-tool  •  6 years ago  •  105 comments

Thinking about what's right in America
This all tells me that America is still a land of dreams and opportunity. Are there things wrong with this country? Certainly. But there still is plenty that is right. Those who choose to uproot from nations all over the world to come here and start their lives anew are interested in what is right, not what is wrong. I like this quote from former TV personality Art Linkletter, who observed, "Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." There's an...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Those who choose to uproot from nations all over the world to come to America and start their lives anew are interested in what is right, not what is wrong. The U.S. is still a land of dreams and opportunity.

Amid this holiday season of reflection, I'm thinking about America's future.

A new poll from Gallup serves up some sobering data regarding how young Americans feel about their country.

Gallup asked the question, "Do you think the U.S. has a unique character that makes it the greatest country in the world, or don't you think so?"

Eighty percent said "yes," America is the greatest country, in 2010 and 78 percent said yes in 2018.

However, among 18- to 34-year-olds, 80 percent said yes in 2010 but this dropped by 18 percentage points in 2018 to 62 percent.

It's troubling to think that now 4 out of 10 young Americans do not see their nation as exceptional and the greatest in the world.

Maybe there is a sense creeping into our youth that America is no longer the land of opportunity that it once was.

In a 2017 Pew Research Global Attitudes & Trends survey , only 37 percent of Americans said they believed so when asked, "When children today grow up, will they be better off financially than their parents?" This compared with 82 percent in China (in 2016), 69 percent in Chile and 50 percent in Israel.

According to recent data from the Brookings Institution , just 50 percent of those born in 1984 earn more than their parents, compared with 61 percent of those born in 1970 and 79 percent of those born in 1950.

But if America's youth are losing a sense that this is a land of dreams, this sentiment doesn't seem to be shared by the million immigrants who arrive in the U.S. every year.

According to a new study by the National Foundation for American Policy, 55 percent of privately held startup companies in the U.S. now worth more than a billion dollars were started by immigrants from 25 different countries.

The study reports that the collective value of these firms founded by immigrants is $248 billion and each company employs an average of 1,200 people.

Most of these immigrant entrepreneurs came to the U.S. to study as international students and chose to stay and become citizens. However, some arrived as refugees and were sponsored by family members.

This all tells me that America is still a land of dreams and opportunity. Are there things wrong with this country? Certainly. But there still is plenty that is right.

Those who choose to uproot from nations all over the world to come here and start their lives anew are interested in what is right, not what is wrong.

I like this quote from former TV personality Art Linkletter, who observed, "Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."

There's an important point here. Success is not just about one's circumstances, but also what is happening inside of each individual – one's character.

The holidays are a good time to think about this.

I suggest two things. First, let's look at what is right about America. And second, let every American ask themselves if they truly believe they are the best they can be, and if not, why not?

Let's each take personal responsibility to make ourselves and our country as great as possible and stop thinking that it's others and circumstances that block our path.

I think the nation would soar, even with the things that are wrong, if all Americans got out of bed each morning with the sense that what happens to them is not because of anything but what they themselves choose to do. And, if at the same time, we related to ourselves and everyone else as created in the image of God.

We all would discover how much power each of us has and we all would discover how great America is, because it is free.

COPYRIGHT 2018 STAR PARKER
DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS.COM

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“Let's each take personal responsibility to make ourselves and our country as great as possible and stop thinking that it's others and circumstances that block our path.

I think the nation would soar, even with the things that are wrong, if all Americans got out of bed each morning with the sense that what happens to them is not because of anything but what they themselves choose to do. And, if at the same time, we related to ourselves and everyone else as created in the image of God.

We all would discover how much power each of us has and we all would discover how great America is, because it is free.”

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago
And, if at the same time, we related to ourselves and everyone else as created in the image of God.

Then stop seeding articles that declare all on the left, the progressives and the liberals are all the spawn of satan.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @1.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.1    6 years ago

removed for context

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.2    6 years ago

Neither one of them....

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @1.1    6 years ago

I can’t help it that that is what they really are.  Nice way to inject negativity into a positive seed. deleted

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.4    6 years ago

removed for context

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.4    6 years ago
I can’t help it

Yes, we are all very aware of that fact.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.7  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.4    6 years ago

You inject negativity into this forum on a daily basis, you've got no room to talk.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.1.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.4    6 years ago
I can’t help it that that is what they really are.

Then why bother conferring with us ? 

There are other chatrooms much more conservative that you could spend your time at. 

Chatrooms that wont even let people like me have a say.

Yet each day you chose to come spend time with us. Why ?

Nice way to inject negativity into a positive seed.

Reality is what it is.

Sophomore Guide
1.1.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    6 years ago
Some can't help themselves.

True and that's not ideologically exclusive. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.8    6 years ago

You are a progress now?  I thought you were passing yourself off as an independent moderate, conservative on fiscal issues and liberal on social issues and now when I say something about progressives you refer to them as if you are one.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.11  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.8    6 years ago

You are coming out as a progressive now?  I thought you claimed to be independent?   I have conservative friends here who appreciate and like my seeded content.  I’m Not going anywhere.  

Sophomore Guide
1.1.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.11    6 years ago
You are coming out as a progressive now?  I thought you claimed to be independent?

I consider myself {a pragmatist, realistically moderate, an independent and progressive Deist with both some conservative and liberal tendencies, depending on the issue or subject.}

Hard to pigeon-hole that one. Drives me nuts sometimes, but I’m not. My mother had me tested.

Although it has been suggested, I be retested. But, At this point, I see no point of it.  lol

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.13  Studiusbagus  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.11    6 years ago
I have conservative friends here who appreciate and like my seeded content.  I’m Not going anywhere.  

Don't bet on it. You are so close to the exit door I can feel the cold draft coming from under the sill. No matter who you think your friends are, you won't be followed.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.14  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Studiusbagus @1.1.13    6 years ago

I’m not going anywhere and I’m certainly not asking anyone to follow me anywhere else. I can understand that you wish that I’d leave. 

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.15  Studiusbagus  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.14    6 years ago

I don't give a fuck if you leave or not. I love being able to point out the hypocracy of calling oneself a Christian and being caught promoting lies. 

And nobody cares what trolls follow you that you want to call friends.

You can bleat that you're not going anywhere as your defiant stand when the fact is you may not have a choice and you and I both know it.

And if you doubt me, keep swimming in that pool.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.16  cjcold  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.8    6 years ago

[Removed

Sophomore Guide
1.1.17  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  cjcold @1.1.16    6 years ago
He/it has been paid for many years to disrupt liberal sites.

I hear that from time to time about different posters, But I've yet to see a poster who I believed that much about. Including HA. 

Personally I haven't seem anyone I'd pay ta post anyway. Including me. LOL And especially back on nv. I never saw anyone there that I would have paid even a dime an hour ta post...lol 

I've taken the time and watched how I put stuff and have had the pleasure of interacting with many different people of different ideologies on here. Including HA. We seem to actually have some stuff in common especially in childhood.

I do think sometimes some people (including myself occasionally ) get too wrapped up in our believes and push it too far. I used to go to the Fox web chat room. I think HA's ideology would be much better accepted at a more conservative site yet he continues to come here.

In a way I dont blame him. One sided chat rooms or echo chambers aren't worth patronising in my opinion either. That's one of the reasons I tried Fox, Unfortunately they didn't agree, soon my posts were poofed instantly. that of course sucked and I was done there. 

I appreciate this site for keeping up what I post and what others have to say as well.

And many times I wish we were all more cordial to each other, IMO: Our politicians and our media are all of our real enemies at this point, They divide us for their profit and power. Not us. We are their pawns and when needed cannon fodder. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.19  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @1.1    6 years ago

Why would I deny the truth of what you just described?!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.20  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1.17    6 years ago

Good post.   

Sophomore Guide
1.1.21  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.20    6 years ago
Good post.   

Thanks

Sophomore Guide
2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

It's troubling to think that now 4 out of 10 young Americans do not see their nation as exceptional and the greatest in the world.

Personally I dont find this surprising, Although I have always known that we really are one of the best if not the best country in the world by nature of our constitution and how our government is designed puting the people themselves in charge.

(At least in theory) 

I think the youth of today have grown up in a devided America. This division shows the ugly side of both sides quite often it's no wonder the young people don't want more of it. It's disgusting actually. We all share ONE land both ideological sides can not have their own way all the time. 

With Today's american government working to get elected usually takes so much money the candidates are actually more indebted to their financial backers than they are to the people who vote for them. That's a major problem. That problem ripples throughout the whole system corrupting it, no wonder the USA is losing admiration. It should.

Just my opinion and I dont think it's gonna change easily. This division is too profitable both in wealth and power for the politicians and media. 

In a way We the people have lost control of our country. I hope we wake up soon but, I don't know that we will.

Good Luck America

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2    6 years ago

That’s why so many went with Trump.  To drain the swamp and overturn the establishment.  

Sophomore Guide
2.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago
That’s why so many went with Trump.  To drain the swamp and overturn the establishment.

To me it looks like the swamp changed hands but it sure still seems like a swamp.  Still sucking and stinkin like one at least.  

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
2.1.2  livefreeordie  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1.1    6 years ago

Until we purge the intelligence community, the career bureaucrats, and the lifetime politicians in Congress we will continue to have a swamp.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  livefreeordie @2.1.2    6 years ago
Until we purge the intelligence community

Until we get money out of politics nothing will change. The career intelligence community are one of the few groups mostly free of big donor money influence. They are civil servants whose careers are not dependent on making a campaign fund minimum every two or six years. You just currently hate the fact that they're investigating the career criminal now in the white house.

Sophomore Guide
2.1.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  livefreeordie @2.1.2    6 years ago

IMO: Until our politicians start putting our country's best interests ahead of their own interests and their parties interests not a damn thing will change for the better. 

Sophomore Guide
2.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.3    6 years ago
Until we get money out of politics nothing will change.

Bingo, Grab a handful of cigars from the pile. 

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.6  Studiusbagus  replied to  livefreeordie @2.1.2    6 years ago
Until we purge the intelligence community,

That's already been shown by looking at his base.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago
That’s why so many went with Trump.

Funny....he lost the majority of voters too. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1.8  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  livefreeordie @2.1.2    6 years ago
Until we purge the intelligence community, the career bureaucrats, and the lifetime politicians in Congress

in progress.... patience is a virtue :)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2  Sparty On  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2    6 years ago

It is very complicated but IMO there is plenty of blame to go around and it starts with previous generations.   Every generation wants the next (their kids) to have it better than they had it.   Thats just human nature and hard to argue against.  

And in trying to do so i believe we are rapidly approaching (or have passed) a point of no return where that is realistically possible.   Expectations of the younger generation are high and largely unrealistic because previous generations promised them that way.   So much drives it.   Here's a couple of them:

- Participation trophy mentality.   God forbid anyone doesn't feel like they came in "first place" in any life related activity.   No losers and all winners is not a realistic expectation.   This mentality does no one any favors.

- Education indoctrination, every kid is encouraged to get a college degree when some clearly aren't meant to do so and there simple aren't enough good paying jobs for everyone if they did.   So they are justifiable pissed off for being given that false promise.   Not their fault.   Blame the people making those unrealistic promises

That said i agree money is corrupting government but its naive to think that removing that influence is going to fix everything people want fixed.   Some of that lobbying gets you what you want, so you'd be losing that influence as well.

With that in mind i think much of the angst in the US has always been here in some form or another.   It ebbs and flows with historical events.   Don't believe me?   How do you think most Americans were feeling in 1862 after Fredricksburg?

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @2.2    6 years ago

HOLY SHIT!!

I read that all the way through twice and actually thought. "That's a well writtent, thought out comment" 

Somebody pick my fat ass up off the floor please?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  cjcold  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.2.1    6 years ago

In spite of the poor grammar and spelling?

Sophomore Guide
2.2.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  cjcold @2.2.2    6 years ago
In spite of the poor grammar and spelling?

spelling and grammar are memorized intelligence. That is not the only kind of intelligence. 

Myself I screwed around at the age we learned those skills. Later I got serous, I still have plenty of problems with both spelling and grammar but I sure dont consider myself dumb, stupid or not intelligent.

PS:I also happened to agreed with sparty on's post and had no problem following what he meant. In fact If not for your mentioning It I wouldn't  have given it a second thought and still think it was just fine for this or any chat room especially.  I dont even bother to fix all my own screw ups some times on here that I see. So.... 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.2.3    6 years ago

Yeah but there is always at least one "Sister Mary Edith" ready to wack knuckles in every blog.   I guess we have found one of ours.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @2.2.4    6 years ago

Indeed.  Always a spelling and grammar cop around to comment on that when they can’t disagree with something written by one who is usually an ideological opponent.  

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.3  Studiusbagus  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2    6 years ago
I think the youth of today have grown up in a devided America. This division shows the ugly side of both sides quite often it's no wonder the young people don't want more of it. It's disgusting actually. We all share ONE land both ideological sides can not have their own way all the time. 

I respectully disagree. And I'm delighted to feel that most youths are not political. And very happy they're leaving us behind. Today's youth for the most part are already global.

The phone that you and I fumble over after we fumbled with laptops after we fumbled on desktops...is just as much tool and appliance to them...no big deal.

I actually am so happy to see how they're progressing in many ways. Another cool thing is for the most of them they don't understand our prejudices. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.3    6 years ago

Yeah but can they use a slide rule ........

Sophomore Guide
2.3.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Studiusbagus @2.3    6 years ago
"  I think the youth of today have grown up in a devided America. This division shows the ugly side of both sides quite often it's no wonder the young people don't want more of it.
It's disgusting actually. We all share ONE land both ideological sides can not have their own way all the time. "

I respectfully disagree.

After reading the rest of your post I think we actually do agree. 

I tend to word stuff weird, sorry. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.3.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @2.3.1    6 years ago

I remember all the pre calculator math tools.  

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.3.4  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @2.3.1    6 years ago

Way beyond a slide rule.

Many grew up learning how to write programs.

Have you ever noticed how young the app makers are?

They aren't afraid to be self employed either.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.5  Sparty On  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.3.4    6 years ago

Meh ..... each generation i guess.   When i started college computers were the size of buildings.   By the time i left we had PC's

This generation we have oodles of kids who can write programs but not enough of those jobs to go around and yet few are willing to pick up everyones garbage.

We are not going in a good direction IMO.   I experience it every day in my business.    Its tougher than ever to hire motivated entry level people and for that matter qualified management people.   Our business will ultimately shut down prematurely because of it.

Not good.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.3.6  Sparty On  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.3.3    6 years ago
I remember all the pre calculator math tools.  

Abacus?

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.3.7  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @2.3.5    6 years ago

On the new hires I understand...the entitlement made me crazy.

But, it's not specifically about programmer jobs I was referring to. And it happens with each generation there is an advancement that is seen. 

In my reference was that I can barely answer my damn phone which I'm using now, the 8 year old down the street would have had this comment written yesterday fast, and would reconfigure my phone before I got it back.

Did you teach an older person how to use their phone? I have.

We were impressed with speakers you could seperate as long as the wire lasted. 

Now we're greeting people at our front door while we are at the office.

Other than the last slackers of our time...I think we'll do fine .

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    6 years ago
... as created in the image of God.

blah, blah, blah.

A bullshit seed from a bullshit source. Nothing but a bible thumper tap dance around their silly beliefs that America has turned to shit ever since the SCOTUS rightfully kicked religion out of public schools and that white xtian immigrants deserve to get fast tracked into the US first. America will never truly be free until we're free of the parasitic subculture fringe that demands a seat at the head of the national table, without bringing a single covered dish to the American buffet. Free will is an inalienable right, granted by the creator, to not choose to be associated with any self ordained and self empowered religious organizations created by man with the sole purposes of subjugating others and negating their individual freedom of choice, in other words, their free will. Why would some omnipotent and universal entity need the assistance of a group of self righteous morons that have twisted his ideals to benefit themselves exclusively?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @4    6 years ago

Well according to secular progressives there is nothing right about America worth protecting and preserving since as the democrat governor of NY said that America was “never that great”.  We disagree.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    6 years ago
there is nothing right about America worth protecting and preserving

context matters. read it again.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @4.1.1    6 years ago

There is no legitimate context for maintaining that America was never that great or that there’s nothing right about our God given country.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.2    6 years ago
no legitimate context for maintaining that America was never that great

Really ? Then why all the maga maga bullshit ? America was great in many ways, long before the petulant fat toddler was somehow elected.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.4  Phoenyx13  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.2    6 years ago
There is no legitimate context for maintaining that America was never that great or that there’s nothing right about our God given country.

i can agree - but i'm a bit surprised you are making that point since you currently support "Making America Great Again" which means, if you know English, that you thought America wasn't that great and support it having to be made great again. So was America great under Obama ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.3    6 years ago

He was elected by the will of God.  He is as another seed said, on a mission from God.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Phoenyx13 @4.1.4    6 years ago

Not as great as it was before him or after him.  

Sophomore Guide
4.1.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.5    6 years ago
  He is as another seed said, on a mission from God.

That's about as realistic as this:

Sophomore Guide
4.1.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.6    6 years ago

Your enthrallment with this manipulator is sad to me. Good luck to you. 

Sophomore Guide
4.1.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to    6 years ago
 It is no different then what we got with Obama sycophants are abound in this country. 

Maybe not , But Somehow I never saw Obama an d his supporters as cult like as trump and his followers seem to be. There is some similarities but trump has people in thralled beyond seeing reality way more in my opinion. 

Sophomore Guide
4.1.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to    6 years ago
What was hope and change what exactly was Obama changing?

The stock market,the housing market and the job report. cause when Obama took office all that was in the shitter. 

It Wasn't when trump took over though so...  I'd say it worked. 

My question is how is much of what trump has done made America great so far ?

Maybe after the investigations are all done it'll be great, Right now it all seems kinda messy though. 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
4.1.13  Phoenyx13  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.6    6 years ago

so you do agree that America was great under Obama and not terrible so there was no need to "Make America Great Again" since it was already great ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.5    6 years ago
He was elected by the will of God.

Huh? You can't be serious. God helped elect a man that has cheated on all three of his wives, paid off porn stars he had sex with behind his wifes back while she was caring for their infant son and openly admitted that he walks in and out of teen girls dressing rooms? 

God did NOT help trump win. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.15  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.5    6 years ago
He was elected by the will of God.

Don't blame the election day results due to the activities of some ignorant lowlife scumbags in America on God.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @4.1.15    6 years ago

I didn’t blame God for Election Day results in 2008 or 2012 for “the activities of some ignorant lowlife scumbags in America” then.  

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.18  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.16    6 years ago

... that's because most of them didn't vote for Obama. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.19  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @4.1.18    6 years ago

Obama would not have been president without all those supporters of his, most of whom met that description. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.20  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.19    6 years ago

that sounds a bit contradictory and confused. go figure.

lib50
Professor Silent
5  lib50    6 years ago

At this point in time, the USA has little to be proud of.  We are led by a compulsive liar who has humiliated, embarrassed and damaged the reputation of the country, something that won't  be easy to get back, if ever.  He doesn't know anything about governing and spends most of his time watching cable news.  We are the asshole country of the world at the moment, led by the big one.  I don't blame the young for not considering America exceptional, we most assuredly are not, and are falling further behind every day.  And what's with the sudden love of immigrants?  Kind of a weird pivot.   Conservatives are not even for legal immigration these days and use fear of immigrants to win political battles.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lib50 @5    6 years ago

There is much to be proud of in America.  We are an exceptional nation, a shining city on a hill.  The American experience is one of greatness.  The more disgusted and less proud progressives are with America,  the better we and it’s principles are doing.  God bless America! 🇺🇸 

Sophomore Guide
5.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    6 years ago

I agree with most of your post. I think the youth of today and some progressives are just sick of the two parties doing more fighting  with each other than working together to build a better nation. ME included. 

When and IF the majority in both parties realize that not ONE party can have it all their own way and the nation returns to compromising to solve our problems I think we will all be better off. 

As an American who refuses to be a part of the division much I sit by and watch this shit show and feel sad hoping and waiting for this to change. 

So far its been a long wait, and I see NO end to it in sight. So fight on folks I got more popcorn cookin and an easy chair waiting. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    6 years ago
There is much to be proud of in America.

Very true, just not the racist conservative underbelly that Trump and his base represent.

I'm proud of America for eliminating slavery, for ditching segregation, for overturning the conservative bans on interracial marriage and gay marriage, for supporting workers right to unionize, for pushing for racial and gender equality in every facet of American life, from the military to our businesses, working to make America a more perfect union. I'm not so proud of that segment of America who continue to pine for the days of old, when their race, their culture and their religion reigned supreme, those who call themselves conservative Republicans. They and their Dear Leader are the ultimate embarrassment for patriotic Americans. I've voted for Republicans, Democrats and Independents over the last 40 years, and none of them looked anything like the swamp creature now sliming the oval office with his putrid filth. How anyone could be proud of that narcissistic perverted waste of space is truly beyond me.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.2  Spikegary  replied to  lib50 @5    6 years ago

If you can only find little to be proud of, I encourage you to emigrate to a country that you can be far more proud of. 

We are still the nation of peole that give more than any other cvountry on earth, to herlp others.  We do R&D on medicines to help people live longer more fulfilling lives while trying to eradicate as many diseases as possible.  Our inventions, big and small are used around the world.  It's sad to see people that have no appreciation for the country they live in-again, please feel free to move on to some place you appreoctae more.  Sitting here whining about the country that provides you the life you have fixes nothing.  Man (or Woman) up and hit the road to find your happiness.

Sophomore Guide
5.2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Spikegary @5.2    6 years ago

IMO: Most Americans do that stuff more for the money and power than to help anyone much more than themselves. 

Personally I dont have much faith in humanity. Including americans. It seems too me pretty much we are all in it more for ourselves than others.  There is the exception but for the majority of humans  they will throw anyone under the bus to get what they want. 

Including most of our politicians and our current president. 

lib50
Professor Silent
5.2.2  lib50  replied to  Spikegary @5.2    6 years ago

Not that I would mind emigrating to a few places I've lived overseas, but for now I'll work within to make things better.  The overt and public racism is nothing to be proud of, seems pretty easy for conservatives to overlook that. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.3  Jasper2529  replied to  lib50 @5    6 years ago
At this point in time, the USA has little to be proud of. 

If that were true, we wouldn't have thousands from other countries illegally crossing our borders.

We are led by a compulsive liar who has humiliated, embarrassed and damaged the reputation of the country, something that won't  be easy to get back, if ever. 

MSM talking points. 

He doesn't know anything about governing and spends most of his time watching cable news.

MSM talking points.

We are the asshole country of the world at the moment

MSM talking point.

I don't blame the young for not considering America exceptional, we most assuredly are not, and are falling further behind every day. 

Millennials can thank growing up during Bill Clinton's sexcapades, Obama's international apology tours, and the Left's overall identity politics for this.

And what's with the sudden love of immigrants?  Kind of a weird pivot.   Conservatives are not even for legal immigration these days and use fear of immigrants to win political battles.

Please learn the difference between a LEGAL immigrant and an ILLEGAL ALIEN. They are not the same. Conservatives definitely support LEGAL immigration, and you cannot dispute that fact.

lib50
Professor Silent
5.3.1  lib50  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.3    6 years ago

I know the difference between legal and illegal, now you learn to curb the double standards and hypocrisy coming from conservatives.   You all seem to overlook everything illegal and shady thing republicans ARE DOING TODAY and want to focus on the groups you love to hate.   Conservatives don't even want legal immigration, I do dispute that.   They have taken steps to limit it, so can the bullshit.  Chain immigration?  Used to be called family reunification, you know, like Melania's parents.  And did you know Melania also broke the law on her visa? 

Here, just for you.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.3.2  Jasper2529  replied to  lib50 @5.3.1    6 years ago
I know the difference between legal and illegal,

I'm glad you do.

now you learn to curb the double standards and hypocrisy coming from conservatives.   You all seem to overlook everything illegal and shady thing republicans ARE DOING TODAY and want to focus on the groups you love to hate.   Conservatives don't even want legal immigration

If Conservatives didn't want legal immigration , the following wouldn't have happened in the past 2 years:

Here, just for you.

According to NT's left wing gold standard - MB/FC - Pacific Standard Magazine's bias is left of center. Your PS Mag article clearly discusses ILLEGAL immigration while conflating it with LEGAL immigration. Please focus on this sentence:

In the case of those trying to renew their visas while they're still in the U.S., they could be placed in deportation proceedings the moment their visas expire.

LEGAL immigrants make sure that their visas and green cards are always current. That's why they do not worry about deportation.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.3.2    6 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifGreat post on all the points you made.   jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.3.4  Jasper2529  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.3.3    6 years ago

Thank you.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.3.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.3.4    6 years ago

You’re welcome 😊. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    6 years ago

Uh, maybe the younger generation does not buy into the bullshit that we have the greatest country ever.

The younger generations have a world at their fingertips. Travel is much more easy and accessible. 

They are not stuck into one small corner of the world.

When talking about wages, there is proof all over the internet, if one looks, that real time wages have been mostly stagnant since the 70s.

This so called article touts looking at the positive yet at the same time is criticizing a large segment of society.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @6    6 years ago

Ok so who in history was a better country to live in than America?  Where in the world now is there a better one?  There’s been a lot of negative coming from the progressive left about our exceptional American nation. America 🇺🇸 love ❤️ it or leave ✈️ It. 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1    6 years ago

Australia is really nice. England, Norway, Japan is really cool.

This nationalist crap does nothing.

It is 2018. This my dog is better than your dog crap is antiquated.

It sounds childish.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @6.1.1    6 years ago

Meh, some people tend to concentrate on the warts, others concentrate on the rest of the body.    Nothing wrong with pride in country nor is there anything wrong with looking out for your own countries interests first over other countries.    All countries do it.

Have never understood some people’s tendency towards self deprecation on such things.    It’s very obtuse.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    6 years ago

Nothing wrong with pride in country.

Nothing wrong with criticizing ones country when warranted.

Announcing to the world that "My country is the best in the world and the best that has ever been" is nothing more than a kid boasting that his bike is the best in the neighborhood.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @6.1.3    6 years ago

Well in the neighborhood that is planet 🌎 🌏 earth, America 🇺🇸 really is simply the very best.  Exceptional actually.  

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Ender  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.4    6 years ago

Then why does it need to be made great again?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @6.1.5    6 years ago
Then why does it need to be made great again?

Kick trumps stupid ass out of office? 

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Ender  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.6    6 years ago

That would definitely be a step in the right direction.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @6.1.3    6 years ago
Nothing wrong with criticizing ones country when warranted.  

Clearly "warranted" is a matter of opinion.   Always will be.   

Are you an American citizen?   If so you sound very unhappy here.   Perhaps England or Australia would be a better fit for you.   Australia is very nice this time of year.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.8    6 years ago

I hear that it is very nice in Siberia this time of the year.  jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.10  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @6.1.5    6 years ago

It doesn’t now.  Trump won back the greatness that Clinton and Obama squandered.  It’s now all about Keep America Great!  

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.11  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.8    6 years ago
Australia is very nice this time of year.

Are you kidding?  It's hot as balls 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Studiusbagus @6.1.11    6 years ago

We call that summer.  It’s like that here in July and August.  

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.13  Studiusbagus  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.12    6 years ago

Ever been to Australia? Obviously not.

You live in the Pac NW, I live in the sub-tropics of the US...you wanna tell me about summer again?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  Studiusbagus @6.1.11    6 years ago

Nope, not kidding in the least ..... I'll take hot as balls over colder than a frozen well diggers ass any day he sez ...... as he just got done shoveling his sidewalk ....

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.15  Studiusbagus  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.14    6 years ago

Lmao

Been ther, done that, got the frostbite scars.

That doen't mean I don't have to don thermal underwear at rare times, but Summer here can and will kill ya.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  Studiusbagus @6.1.15    6 years ago

Yeah i BTDT as well which spawns a fine old saying when in conditions like that ....... yeah but its a dry heat .....

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.16    6 years ago

There are so many fine things that are right about and with our fine and exceptional America.  It’s too bad that progressive leftists see only bad things about us and live to accentuate the negative.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.18  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Studiusbagus @6.1.13    6 years ago

I can say that it gets very hot here in the summer season.  We have had our share of being one of the hottest places in the USA over the years.  

Why are summers so darn hot in Redding?

MARC BEAUCHAMP | REDDING |

I asked Scott Mobley, former weather expert for the Record Searchlight, who now lives in Portland.  His response:

Hi Marc,

Hope you can escape to the coast! You've already endured a pretty brutal summer, probably the worst since 2009 or even 2006.

Here's my take on Redding summers:

Redding routinely experiences the hottest summer temperatures anywhere in California north of the Mojave Desert. Daily maximums in Redding often top out a few degrees higher than other notoriously broiling Central Valley cities like Fresno and Bakersfield, even though these places are farther south with higher sun angles.

Daily maximum temperatures above 90 degrees are the rule in Redding from about early June well into October. Triple digit afternoons are common from about late June through at least mid-September. In a typical summer temps will hit 100 degrees or higher at least a couple dozen times. Redding's triple-digit tally so far this summer stands at 28 days as of July 20.

The Redding area is also infamous for enduring many consecutive days with triple-digit heat. Strings of 10 to 14 days are fairly common. The longest streak on record for Redding is 26 days in July and August, 1978.

The city has recorded 100-degree heat as early as May 4 and as late as Oct. 14. The highest temperature on record in Redding -- 118 degrees -- is a mark hit not just once but on three afternoons, most recently in July 1988. Still, Red Bluff, which hit 121 degrees in August 1981, holds the region's all-time top temperature.

Why such heat? Blame the scenery.

The mountains that give Redding its rugged backdrop also wall it off from any tempering ocean influence. Breezes fanning out from the Sacramento/San Joaquin delta will dramatically cool Sacramento, Stockton and other inland cities. These winds have typically lost most of their coolant by the time they've traveled 160 miles up the valley to Shasta County.

But the Delta Breeze does influence summer temperatures even in the far northern valley. You can tell when the wind arrives -- the air turns hazier, tinged with agricultural dust and what little humidity survives the long, dry trip. During a heat wave earlier this summer, a forecast of 115 degrees went bust when a robust Delta Breeze capped temperatures at 110 degrees before pushing them back into the mid-90s. In Redding, mid-90s spell relief.

During periods of extreme heat across interior Northern California, prevailing winds typically blow from the north, down the Klamath Mountain slopes into the far northern valley. These winds warm and dry with compression as they descend toward the valley floor, heating up much the way a bicycle pump tube gets hot to the touch with repeated use.

The Redding area is more prone to this so-called adiabatic warming than any other in Northern California. Winds in Redding are blowing down slope from most directions, thanks to the city's location at the head of a mountain horseshoe. So it's no surprise Redding experiences its most intense heat during such down slope wind episodes. These winds may keep temperatures in the 80s or even the low 90s through the night.

Down slope winds are largely responsible for the "dry heat" about which Redding city boosters sometimes boast. Dew point temperatures -- a measure of how "sticky" or heavy the air feels -- may drop into the 30s or lower as northern Sacramento Valley temperatures soar.

But sometimes upper-air circulation draws more humid, subtropical air across Northern California and the heat may feel particularly painful. Monitor dew point temperatures on such days. Generally, readings 55 degrees or higher are considered uncomfortable -- especially when air temperature climbs above 100 degrees.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.redding.com/amp/96810058

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7  pat wilson    6 years ago

You know you're not exactly promoting tourism or any other economic development for Redding, Ca. with your above linked article, right ?? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @7    6 years ago

We take pride in our summers.  And our 2nd most sunny days a year along with the 30-40” of rain in our wet season.  Our tourism industry thrives on that heat for our mountains, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, and so much more.  We have the houseboat capital of the world, great fishing, lots of river rafting, great trails, majestic vistas and views, camping and so much more.  Our spring and fall seasons are the best .  We have a waterworks park, an aquatic center, a fun center, big league dreams, and Redding Soccer park, Turtle Bay and the Sundial bridge along with many city parks and river trails in town.  And an awesome highly attended Freedom Fest 4th of July celebration.  As for business and industry all that is a plus as well as very good schools and hospitals and a great public library.  https://www.visitredding.com/mobile/                 

Sophomore Guide
7.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    6 years ago

Damn HA you are fortunate we had corn fields and baseball fields and poverty.

and 40 years later it's still all there for anyone who wants it.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1.1    6 years ago

Looking at my link you can see why I don’t leave here