╌>

Johnson & Johnson knew for decades about toxic baby powder

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  split-personality  •  6 years ago  •  28 comments

Johnson & Johnson knew for decades about toxic baby powder
Fighting for every breath and in crippling pain, Coker hired Herschel Hobson, a personal-injury lawyer. He homed in on a suspect: the Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder that Coker had used on her infant children and sprinkled on herself all her life. Hobson knew that talc and asbestos often occurred together in the earth, and that mined talc could be contaminated with the carcinogen. Coker sued Johnson & Johnson, alleging that “poisonous talc” in the company’s beloved product was her killer.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Having failed to persuade the FDA that up to 1 percent asbestos contamination was tolerable, J&J began promoting self-policing as an alternative to regulation. The centerpiece of this approach was a March 15, 1976, package of letters from J&J and other manufacturers that the CTFA gave to the agency to show that they had succeeded at eliminating asbestos from cosmetic talc.

“The attached letters demonstrate responsibility of industry in monitoring its talcs,” the cover letter said. “We are certain that the summary will give you assurance as to the freedom from contamination by asbestos for materials of cosmetic talc products.”

In its letter, J&J said samples of talc produced between December 1972 and October 1973 were tested for asbestos, and none was detected “in any sample.”

J&J didn’t tell the FDA about a 1974 test by a professor at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire that turned up asbestos in talc from J&J – “fiberform” actinolite, as he put it. Nor did the company tell the FDA about a 1975 report from its longtime lab that found particles identified as “asbestos fibers” in five of 17 samples of talc from the chief source mine for Baby Powder. “Some of them seem rather high,” the private lab wrote in its cover letter.

read the whole article here. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/johnson-and-johnson-knew-for-decades-about-toxic-baby-powder/ar-BBQX1AH?ocid=spartanntp

Article is LOCKED by moderator [smarty_function_ntUser_get_name: user_id or profile_id parameter required]
[]

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Split Personality    6 years ago

I just scoured the house to find and destroy any Johnson products.

I used this crap on three kids, all of whom were diagnosed with asthma as infants

who remarkably were "cured" when they grew out of diapers.

Coincidence?

This makes me sick to my stomach.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @1    6 years ago

My mother had a form of cancer, endometrial?, and she used Shower-to-Shower every day, even in the winter months. I used to use it in the summer but when all of this came out, I stopped.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    6 years ago

Who doesn't love the smell of baby powder?

I'm presuming if one can smell it, some has made it to their lungs...

and it tends to fly far in small clouds when you change a diaper.

smh.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.1    6 years ago

I loved the smell of Shower to Shower. And it helped keep me cool

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    6 years ago

I had heard years ago that Talc alone was questionable for women. So I stopped using it. When my daughters were born, I used a non talc product. Now I am so happy that I did that. Johnson and Johnson has lost all credibility with me, and I will never use any of their products now.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    6 years ago
Johnson and Johnson has lost all credibility with me, and I will never use any of their products now.

If you think their powder is bad, imagine what their shampoo must be like. No credibility indeed.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.5  seeder  Split Personality  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    6 years ago

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    6 years ago

Weird !

My family has used Johnson powders......like FOREVER !

NEVER had a problem ……. NOT ONE TIME over our lifetimes !

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    6 years ago

I used this all the time when I was a teenager....knowing this makes my skin crawl.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4  seeder  Split Personality    6 years ago
Since 2003, talc in Baby Powder sold in the United States has come from China through supplier Imerys SA, a co-defendant in most of the talc litigation. Both companies said the Chinese talc is safe. An Imerys spokesman said the Paris-based company’s tests “consistently show no asbestos. Talc’s safe use has been confirmed by multiple regulatory and scientific bodies.”

J&J, based in New Brunswick, New Jersey, has dominated the talc powder market for more than 100 years, its sales outpacing those of all competitors combined, according to Euromonitor International data. And while talc products contributed just $420 million to J&J’s $76.5 billion in revenue last year, Baby Powder is considered an essential facet of the healthcare-products maker’s carefully tended image as a caring company – a “sacred cow,” as one 2003 internal email put it.

Prior to 2003 it was always in company memos as an acceptable risk,

ever watch HGTV and watch an asbestos removal company remove floor tile, plaster or asbestos siding? 

The only acceptable risk from asbestos is ZERO % asbestos.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

I'm sure all of our parents used this on us, and many of us used it for our kids.  By the time my son was born, this was public knowledge, and I used cornstarch, instead.  But I don't think the news had been out for very long.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Perhaps the problems have to do with the individuals' tolerance as well.  My father's business was buying, reconditioning and selling used bags, usually burlap and cotton but sometimes asbestos bags. When my brother and I were teens we worked at my father's factory where one of our jobs was cleaning with a suction machine used asbestos bags.  We did not wear masks and the dust flew all over in clouds.  We virtually BREATHED asbestos.  Neither of us ever had any allergies, asthma or serious related illnesses and we are now both still kicking in our 80s.