╌>

Doctors Save Boy—After Finding Chopstick in Brain

Category:  Other

Via:  randy2  •  9 years ago  •  15 comments

Doctors Save Boy—After Finding Chopstick in Brain

2211_discussions.jpeg

Newser) He's OK now, but a toddler in China went 10 days with part of a chopstick in his brain. It seems young Hanhang tripped and fell with the chopstick in his hand, and it went straight up his nose, according to a report by Central European News spotted by Fox . His parents saw it happen, removed the chopstickor so they thoughtand took him to the hospital to be safe. Unfortunately, doctors didn't realize about 2 inches of the chopstick had broken off and sent him home.

When we got home after our first visit to the hospital, my husband broke all the chopsticks in half and threw them away as we were worried something like this could happen again, says his mother, Yu Liao. When the boy grew increasingly lethargic and sick, his parents brought him back, and only then did an X-ray reveal the reason. Hanhang showed immediate improvement once it was removed. The Mommy Files blog at the San Francisco Chronicle rounds up two similar stories and concludes, "Note to parents: Chopsticks are to only be handled by children sitting at the dinner table."

Source Link

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Randy
Sophomore Participates
link   seeder  Randy    9 years ago

OUCH!!!!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    9 years ago

There have been people who have lived their whole lives with things stuck in their brains and actually sometimes it is more dangerous to remove them, then leave them in.

I am glad that this little chap is doing well with a happy ending.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

I remember seeing X-Rays of people who have shot themselves in the head with a nail gun and survived. Our run a piece of re-bar through their skull and come out fine too.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
link   Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    9 years ago

Believe it or not, this kid is extremely lucky.

Here are a few other lucky people:

2212_discussions.jpg Magnets.

2213_discussions.jpg 350 coins, several necklaces, and a few needles.

2214_discussions.jpg A Buzz Lightyear action figure.

2215_discussions.jpg A Coke bottle. This guy told emergency room doctors that he had been robbed, and that the suspect took the time to forcea bottle up his rear-end. Sure, buddy. Whatever you say.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

When I was an EMT another crew told me about a run they'd just had where a fire medic had gotten a dildo to far up his ass and couldn't get it out, so he ended up in the ER.Smile.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    9 years ago

OK, all together now:

Is that a chopstick in your brain--or are you just glad to see me?

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    9 years ago

Some of the most horrific examples have been victims of Palestinian terror. The put BB's, nuts, bolts, nails on their explosives so they lodge deep within the victims bodies. And frequently they coat them and other objects with rat poison. (Israeli doctors have become rather skilled at dealing with these cases-- but many survivors lead horrible lives afterwards.)

See, for example, The X-Ray Project :

INSIDE TERRORISMis a photography exhibit which uses actual X-rays and CT-scans from the two largest hospitals in Jerusalem to explore the most important social issue of our time:the effects of terrorism on civilian population.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
link   Buzz of the Orient    9 years ago

Eating with chopsticks is difficult enough, but having them go up your nose is a skill I've not yet mastered.

Professor Guide

Yes, Krishna, those are appalling examples of man's crueltyto man. Frankly, I have come to hate anyone capable of inflicting such gross inhumanity on another human being, especially children.

But I have to say, there is a bit of difference between those eye-opening examples...and chopsticks up a kid's nose.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I'm glad the boy is ok! What are the odds of this? Must be astronomical!

Randy
Sophomore Participates

Eating with chopsticks is difficult enough

I gave up trying...

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    9 years ago

This, too, shall pass....

Professor Guide

Yeah...withring-forceps, a vacu-medand an emergency room full of snickering medical staff.

Randy
Sophomore Participates

It didn't take long for it to get around what Fire Medic it was. I felt sorry for him because he probably never lived it down. He couldn't sit down to drive himself, so he had to call 911 and it was a crew from his station that responded. Like I say, I felt sort of sorry for him and I don't even want to know how they got it out of him. I'm just gladI wasn't one of the responding EMT's.Grin.gif

Professor Guide

Poor guy. Too bad he couldn't drive himself out of town to anotherhospital...waaaayy out of town.