╌>

The Divine Right of Democrats to Drool

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  donald-trump-fan1  •  6 years ago  •  58 comments

The Divine Right of Democrats to Drool
Thoughtful people like law professors Jonathan Turley and Alan Dershowitz, who understand that the nation’s polity will be far healthier if both major parties approach real issues seriously, are unable to understand why so few Democrats see that the perpetuation of puerile nihilism driven by unabated hatred of President Trump will end in disaster.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Many longtime liberals find themselves bewildered at the continued antics of the Democrats at a time when they have a real, albeit small, window of opportunity to demonstrate that they have some acquaintance with the art of responsible governance. Thoughtful people like law professors Jonathan Turley and Alan Dershowitz, who understand that the nation’s polity will be far healthier if both major parties approach real issues seriously, are unable to understand why so few Democrats see that the perpetuation of puerile nihilism driven by unabated hatred of President Trump will end in disaster. Turley puts it thus :

In this age of rage, voters seem to have no patience, let alone need, for leaders speaking of abstract principles. They want immediate unequivocal action.… For Democrats, that all consuming purpose has led to the abandonment of core unifying values, including many that first drew me to the Democratic Party.

The explanation for this loss of the party’s soul to an unquenchable and wholly emotional desire to destroy Trump is captured in a one-sentence observation by Cicero with which Turley is certainly familiar: “Those who do not know history will forever remain children.” There is very little chance that the kindergartners of the Democratic resistance would recognize Turley’s allusion to the fabled “Days of Rage.” Nor do they grasp that their collective tantrum and lurch to the left is reminiscent of that which eventually produced the suicidal Democratic nomination of George McGovern and President Nixon’s 1972 landslide.

Thus, like so many angry children, nothing less than Donald Trump’s head on a platter will mollify them. It doesn’t matter to this bumptious brood that someone has to produce at least a plausible case proving his guilt of the “crimes and misdemeanors” without which no majority in the House of Representatives will try to impeach the President. This is what Alan Dershowitz, who leans farther to the left than Turley, has been trying to tell anyone who will listen, but that’s an ever shrinking audience in the media. Most want to hear that Trump is going down. In a recent discussion with Joe Concha for the  Hill , he said :

I used to be, for example, on CNN more often than on Fox. I was a regular, not paid, but just a person who was on all the time debating with Toobin, debating with others…. I haven’t been on CNN, now, since the summer, and Fox calls me all the time.… I’d love to be available to people who watch all channels.”

But Dershowitz is in the unfortunate habit of dealing in realities not well suited for les enfants en colère . They want Trump impeached pursuant to the meandering Mueller investigation. Unfortunately for them, that farce is unlikely to do the job or it would have been leaked to the media by now. What about Flynn? What about the great Cohen bust? The Flynn plea was obviously a piece of FBI legerdemain whereby they entrapped him using a law designed to manufacture crimes rather than detect them and there’s nothing there than can hurt Trump. As to Cohen, this is what Dershowitz has been trying to explain :

The president doesn’t break the law if, as a candidate, he contributes to his own campaign. So if he gave $1 million to two women as hush money, there would be no crime.… So it is a catch-22 for the prosecution. If they claim that the president authorized him to do it or directed him to do it, it’s not a crime for anybody.

But impeachment is, of course, a political rather than legal process. And the Democrats know their querulous constituents are going to tear the romper room to pieces if they don’t see some action soon after Nancy Pelosi takes the Speaker’s gavel from Paul Ryan’s grateful hands in January. She and various accomplices on the committees hope to keep them sedated by creating as much sound and fury as they can manage with endless investigations of Trump personally as well as his administration. The media is reporting that the Democrats are, for the first time ever, actually creating a hiring boom — for staffers and lawyers :

House committees gearing up to investigate President Trump are experiencing a boom in applications. Some have posted job applications like one that CNN discovered for the Oversight Committee that outwardly advertised a need for staffers with executive branch investigative counsel.

Among other things, the Democrats will try to pry into the President’s income taxes and personal business dealings. Trump’s taxes in particular have been a longstanding and morbid obsession for these people. Consequently, instead of moving forward with constructive legislation that will benefit the voters, the Democrats will abuse all the power that comes with their new House majority for purposes of dumpster diving in the hope of coming up with something they can use as a pretext to impeach Trump. In order to achieve this dubious goal, they will exhume a long-dormant statute. As Kansas Congressman Ron Estes writes :

Democrats hope to use an arcane 100-year-old law that allows Congress to inspect anyone’s tax returns as justification for essentially breaking into the IRS and releasing the president’s tax returns to the public without his permission. Such a move would… set a dangerous and chilling precedent.

It may, on the other hand, prevent their temperamental constituents from breaking their toys. They know they can’t disappoint these little darlings or there will be a lot of spinning heads and projectile vomit. If the Democrats accomplish nothing during the next two years beyond a protracted and almost certainly doomed attempt to remove a duly elected President — and that is how at least half the voters see him — they will have revealed to their own voters that they can’t deliver on impeachment while once again demonstrating to the rest of us that they are incapable of governing responsibly. That won’t sell well in 2020.

Mark Dixon/Flickr-Creative Commons

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“If the Democrats accomplish nothing during the next two years beyond a protracted and almost certainly doomed attempt to remove a duly elected President — and that is how at least half the voters see him — they will have revealed to their own voters that they can’t deliver on impeachment while once again demonstrating to the rest of us that they are incapable of governing responsibly.”

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

I’d like to thank Real Clear Politics for featuring this fine article in their contrasting articles on their site today.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    5 years ago

They will try to remove him. They will impeach and the US Senate will not convict. The Presidents term will be tarnished, but the consequences will be significant for democrats. They will most likely forfeit the House in the next election and the GOP will likely gain a super majority in the Senate. That will mean real reform legislation will take place. So let them keep on with their hate motivated coup.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    5 years ago

That’s about the way it is.  A hate filled attempted coup against the constitutional results of the 2016 election.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    6 years ago

Yes, the drool is on.

Doesn't matter. "Grab em' by the pussy" has proven to be the conservatives winning strategy.  "I like beer" and "Do you black out" has proven to be the finest points of success and the conservatives are riding that wave to its conclusion.  Putin is laughing.  The usefulness of the Trump is coming to its predetermined inglorious end.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @2    6 years ago

Trump will be our President for a little over six more years. We will not back down in any way and will force the other side to literally ruin the whole country to get rid of him over every lawful and peaceful measure that exists to preserve him in office.  We will defend him legally to the extent that the resistance can only remove Trump by means outside of the constitution, that we will stay within in protecting him in the office. Maybe they will find a reasonable moderate and behave responsible The next two years and actually win an election within the constitution but I doubt that will happen.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    5 years ago

Happy New Year and a Merry Christmas...………..and also my sincere heartfelt thanks for proving that conservatism has succeeded in debasing the American Politic to the grandeur of a simple "Grab em' by the Pussy."  This great nation knows no bounds.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    5 years ago

[deleted

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @2.1.1    5 years ago

We found our bounds by keeping that witch Hillary out of the Presidency.  Trump saved America from her evil clutches.  Happy New Year to you all too.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.4  lennylynx  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.3    5 years ago

Hillary's a witch too??  Ok, we will look into this allegation when we get a chance, but our witch hunters have been working overtime with other cases all last year and this year looks quite busy too! 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.3    5 years ago
Trump saved America from her evil clutches.

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @2.1.4    5 years ago
Hillary's a witch too??

No, she isn't. She hasn't paid her Coven dues in years so we took her broom away

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.6    5 years ago

She tried to start her own coven.

I knew it wouldn't work out well.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  bbl-1 @2    5 years ago

It replaced "I did not have sex with that woman" and the car somehowwent off the bridge.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    5 years ago

You have to go all the way back to Ted Kennedy?  You have long memories for any Democrat mis-deeds but no memory whatsoever of all the republican mis-deeds.

How convenient.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.2  lennylynx  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.1    5 years ago

Bill Clinton got a blowjob too, don't forget about the blowjob!! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.1    5 years ago
You have to go all the way back to Ted Kennedy?

"All the way back"? What Ted did at Chappaquiddick happened less than 50 years ago. It's not every day that a sitting US senator gets away with murder.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.3    5 years ago

Most likely a double murder....

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Jasper2529  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.4    5 years ago
Most likely a double murder....

Very possible.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.5    5 years ago

I can’t imagine any other motivation for him to act the way he did regarding her and perhaps the car ending up in the water in the 1st place was no accident 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Sunshine  replied to  lennylynx @2.2.2    5 years ago
Bill Clinton got a blowjob too, don't forget about the blowjob!! 

He got more than a blowjob.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.8  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @2.2.7    5 years ago

What else did Bill get besides a blow job

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.5    5 years ago

Wow.....got any evidence for that accusation or you just going with pure speculation?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.9    5 years ago
'Wow.....got any evidence for that accusation or you just going with pure speculation?'

Well you know TG, it's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.8    5 years ago
What else did Bill get besides a blow job

I bet she doesn't have an answer for that

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.10    5 years ago

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.13  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.9    5 years ago
Wow.....got any evidence for that accusation or you just going with pure speculation?

A possibility is neither an accusation nor a speculation. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.13    5 years ago

Go peddle that bullshit to somebody who's buying. Your "possiblity" is mere speculation because you have no proof

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.15  Jasper2529  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.14    5 years ago
Go peddle that bullshit to somebody who's buying. Your "possiblity" is mere speculation because you have no proof

I never stated that I had proof, which is why I used the word possible. Get it now? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2.15    5 years ago

phhffffttttt......

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.19  MonsterMash  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.17    5 years ago

[deleted. Please keep disgusting comments like that off] of [this site.]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.20  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.17    5 years ago

Not funny.  Not surprised either that you went there

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.21  Tessylo  replied to  MonsterMash @2.2.19    5 years ago

Didn't think you could go lower than the prior comment.  

Congrats!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.22  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.17    5 years ago

Who passed it on to ........

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.23  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @2.2.20    5 years ago

Well Bill did once say that Hillary got more than he did....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    6 years ago

If I posted an article like this it would have been shut down immediately.

But oh no, no bias here.   

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @3    6 years ago

Your side pushes anti Trump and anti Republican articles all the time.  You are free to post the opposing article from Real Clear Politics that was paired with this one.  But you would rather have content control than combatting free speech with more speech, you know, the American way.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @3    6 years ago

You could have seeded this:  https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/29/donald-trump-impeachment-congress-house-senate   Or this: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-30/press-is-not-the-enemy-of-the-people-president-trump?srnd=opinion         These articles sandwiched the one I seeded and I think that anyone here can handle anything that Real Clear Politics finds fit to feature on both sides.  They aren’t snowflakes and neither are we.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.3  KDMichigan  replied to  MrFrost @3    5 years ago

Awe you poor thing. Are all them left leaning mods picking on you?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  KDMichigan @3.3    5 years ago

They are most of them that alright.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.3.2  MrFrost  replied to  KDMichigan @3.3    5 years ago

I am not a poor thing, I feel sorry that you see me as such. I fought hard for your right to denigrate me, and put me down, so I will just say, "you're welcome", and move on. I wish you well and my the shining light of success shine upon you and yours. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @3.3.2    5 years ago

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.4  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @3    5 years ago
'If I posted an article like this it would have been shut down immediately. But oh no, no bias here.' 

That's why I spend less and less time here anymore.  I haven't been on Newstalkers since December 21st.  Didn't miss it at all, especially 'pieces' like this.  

I took a much needed vacation from all the hatred from a certain side.  Did wonders for my blood pressure.  I think I'll spend a lot less time here.  

It sucks when the lunatics take over the asylum.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.4.1  lennylynx  replied to  Tessylo @3.4    5 years ago

I still check in every day, but I make a lot less comments.  It's pointless discussing things with people who refuse to accept obvious realities.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.4.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.4    5 years ago

There are plenty of places where echo chamber status exists and is desired.  I’m glad that you feel you failed to turn this site into one of them.  That you don’t want to have to deal with a minority of members and their opinions and seeds is on you, not them.  Live and let live.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.4.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lennylynx @3.4.1    5 years ago

Is that how you deal with conservatives among your family, friends, and workplace?  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.4.4  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.4.2    5 years ago
' I’m glad that you feel you failed to turn this site into one of them.'

What the fuck are you talking about?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.4.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @3.4.4    5 years ago

An eco chamber.  There aren’t that many conservatives left here anymore and it seems you won’t be happy until all of us don’t seed or comment here anymore.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.4.6  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.4.5    5 years ago

Says you, not me.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    6 years ago
Alan Dershowitz, who leans farther to the left than Turley

The Thought Police won't allow Dershowitz to be a liberal anymore because he isn't frantically pulling his hair out over Trump like the rest of them.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @4    6 years ago

True.  One must be 100% resistance to be considered a democrat in good standing anymore.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5  seeder  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

Happy New Year everyone! 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Almost every comment on this seed contains a sweeping generalization, at least by the standards that are used here to remove comments as such.

The "sweeping generalization" reason for censorship should be ended. It allows uneven and inherently unfair censorship based on the dubious use of "flagging". It also encourages more visible activity by the moderators. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @6    5 years ago

John, as shocking as it may seem, on this issue, you and I are in 100% full agreement.  It is truly difficult for one to speak their mind if a persons opinion on a given topic is constantly censored 🤬.  

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    5 years ago
set a dangerous and chilling precedent

trump has done that on his own, yet somehow that is conveniently looked over by republicans.

This so called article is nothing but a weak attempt at turning a blind eye on what the presidency has become and trying to put blame on the other side of the lisle.

Major fail.