╌>

Bill Maher Segment Mocks "Both Sides Are At Fault" talk------..."THE REPUBLICANS ARE THE PROBLEM"

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  johnrussell  •  5 years ago  •  106 comments

Bill Maher Segment Mocks "Both Sides Are At Fault" talk------..."THE REPUBLICANS ARE THE PROBLEM"

If you want to skip over the unrelated part of the video, skip to the 1:50 mark and begin there.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

At the 4:10 mark he talks about Trump's constant lying and the 'argument' people make that all presidents lie.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Well, they do but, not one of them did with the expertise that Trump has, in two years he has lied 8000 times that I know of, that's the times he was on Twitter or, in front of a camera.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1    5 years ago

I wouldn’t characterize anything Trump does as ‘expertise’.  Quantity is not the equal to quality.  A good liar fools the majority.  Trump fools the foolish minority.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1.1.1    5 years ago
I wouldn’t characterize anything Trump does as ‘expertise’.

I only used that word to describe that Trump lies with the ease of a P.T. Barnum type huckster, it does in some ways remind me of W.C. Fields characters, the truly sad part about it is, is that he has people within his orbit that repeat the lies over and, over to try to give them some kind of credit and, his minions in the rest of the country fall for it hook, line and, sinker. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to    5 years ago

What a moronic comment.  I’m embarrassed for you.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to    5 years ago
in two years he has lied 8000 times
So what? 

?

So what?

Wally, do you realize the standards the Conservative 'right' and the GOP hold ALL OTHERS TOO, asz

for an 8000 times, that we know of, LIAR in Chief, a so what...?

SO WTF,

would be with the embarrassing hypocrisy ?

How the Hell can one comfortably say So What, after the lock her up cause she wears pant suits, that make most of the Repubs pant, heavily, as this has become so absurd,

it's not really feasible any more, for me to take any Trumpp defender seriously, (as F I ever did to begin with, but I tried to give em the benefit of a doubting Thomas's English Muffin Top

ped off with crab meat and a Hollandaise sauce increased by its reduction)

but,

that's just silly ole me.

The one stupid enough to see what a LIAR has done to US, and

sadly see, people would rather defend a POS, than just admit, hey, maybe I was wrong about the guy. I wanted someone different than the two party stATUS quo, I didn't realize how he was such a lying treasonous unstable stable boy, who obviously has mental issues , requiring warehouses of palleted facial tissues, to wipe off the egg, or what ever been Putin all over his face, and to of course, deal with his killer Mt. Kilimanjaro mole hill of issues.

"So what"

Too FCKN MUCH 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago

Maher is a complete and total hateful dweeb!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    5 years ago

Mr. "Alley Chicken" is a "lying Racist" !

"Maher falsely citing a quote from Ryan that was actually from Michelle Obama. It was a delicious moment, though its impact was lessened by Maher having resorted to deceit. Maher put it this way -- "Here's something else Paul Ryan said. He said, when it comes to getting an education, too many of our young people just can't be bothered. They're sitting on couches for hours, playing video games, watching TV. Instead of dreaming of being a teacher or a lawyer or a business leader, they're fantasizing about being a baller or a rapper."

Oh wait, that wasn't him, that was Michelle Obama. "

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

The main problem I see with being an independent or a moderate is that you then become committed to criticizing both sides of the political spectrum and both major political parties equally.  If you criticize Trump or the Republicans only or more than you criticize liberals you may get the feeling that people will no longer see you as moderate or independent.

This is all well and good , s. , until we have a situation where the president of the United States is totally unfit to hold the office, and his party, the Republicans , is enabling him daily in order to please their own base, and "independents" still insist that the "both sides" mantra be equally applied. The effect is to further enable Trump.

Bill Maher summarizes the situation through humor, and the country needs people to get the message.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

Maher is so good at what he does.  I was surprised to see Chris Christie on Real Time this week, as part of his recent media blitz.  I thought Maher handled him very well, getting the fat jokes out early on.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    5 years ago
 I was surprised to see Chris Christie on Real Time this week, as part of his recent media blitz.

I actually wasn't surprised, Christie has been down on Trump for some time and, he says that there is a lot of evidence that during the transition there were "mistakes" made by those in charge of it and, he wouldn't be surprised if it turned out people ended up in serious trouble over it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.1    5 years ago

Yes, but Christie has been the big fat butt of many a Maher monologue in the past.  It was a brave move.  Clearly Maher wasn’t buying the BS line about Christie not knowing anything about the bridge closure, but he let it die and moved on.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.3  JBB  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.2    5 years ago

Friday night Bill Maher said that, "Chris Christie has too many skeletons in his past to have a future in politics. Cow Skeletons". Lap Band Failure!

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.4  CB  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    5 years ago

Christie is actually on a book tour. His book tour. It is contractual that he expend 'shoe leather' promoting the book. I have been watching him appearing in 'odd' (but the usual tour spots) venues for himself all week. True to form, he is talking freely about what he believes on various subjects—including President Donald Trump. If he is not careful, he is going to accidentally step negatively into Donald's 'hot' media light: And, we know Trump's knives cut both ways!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.2    5 years ago
Clearly Maher wasn’t buying the BS line about Christie not knowing anything about the bridge closure, but he let it die and moved on.

Yeah, I don't buy that either.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Jack_TX  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    5 years ago
Maher is so good at what he does.

"Pandering to nonsensical angry liberals?"  

Yes.  He's amazing at it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.7  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.6    5 years ago

"Pandering to nonsensical angry liberals?"  

Yes.  He's amazing at it.

[Deleted]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

And you believe Bill Maher - an actor - an entertainer - whose only expertise is a sarcastic attitude, political satire and sociopolitical commentary????

Have at it.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2    5 years ago

And you believe Bill Maher - an actor - an entertainer

Believe him?  Lol - no, I agree with him. We think almost identically.  I don’t watch Real Time to be educated, I watch him to be entertained by humor that 95% of the time fits squarely in my perception of American politics.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2    5 years ago

Well, very few people have trained expertise in commenting on politics and current events, rather , it is something that people acquire. Those who studied political science in college don't often end up on tv or in the media giving commentary.

Since the early 60's and the advent of Dick Gregory and Lenny Bruce there has always been comedy based on political and current events.

Please though, tell us how Maher is more of an entertainer than Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh or Mark Levin?  I saw an online comment recemtly from someone who saw Levin on Fox News for the first time . "Why is this man yelling?" the comment asks, not realizing the Levin yells many times during any of his programs. That is how he entertains his audience.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Ronin2  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2    5 years ago

Of course they believe him. He is giving them all the red meat they want, with no facts or accountability to back it up. A typical talking head.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2.4  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.2    5 years ago

Oh yeah John - just like Nancy Darlin' Piglosi was given a "Rock Star" Treatment at the Grammy "Gala" and Barbara Staisland was given a standing ovation for "Walls", a song no one has listened to and no cares about???  So your hollyweed stars/starlets are who you get your information from - got it.

Now, go tell DeNiro how much you luv him because he "hates" Trump almost as much as you do - not quite.  And I'm sure Whoppi and Kathy Lee and RoseAnne would love to let you help them move outta the U.S.A. since Trump won the election.

Yup - keep believin' your hollyweed types have got the intelligence and knowledge needed to discuss politics.  Ya gonna vote for'm????

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.5  author  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2.4    5 years ago

1st warrior, you support the biggest ignoramus ,to ever occupy a high office, in history.

You have no bullets in your gun with which to fire at others.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
2.2.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2.4    5 years ago
Yup - keep believin' your hollyweed types have got the intelligence and knowledge needed to discuss politics.  Ya gonna vote for'm????

My, oh, my.  What a display of rage that whole comment is.  Is the fact that that Scumbag you support without question is daily shown to be a snivelling mafia-boss-wannabe, coward, sociopath and traitor finally getting to you?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2.4    5 years ago
Nancy Darlin' Piglosi

What is your purpose in this kind of childish name-play?

Whom are you really demeaning? Pelosi or... yourself?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2.8  1stwarrior  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.2.7    5 years ago

Don't think the reply was to you.

Musta hit a nerve though.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.2.9  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.5    5 years ago

Doing battle with many on NT - you should know what shooting an empty gun feels like.

No, I "supported" Gary Johnson - don't know who I'll support this next time, but I sure as hell don't see any Dems that are promising.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.2.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  1stwarrior @2.2.8    5 years ago

I'm always curious about behavior.

I've always thought you would like to be perceived as a "sage"... so this sort of childishness is surprising.

CB
Professor Principal
2.4  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago

The main problem I see with being an independent or a moderate is that you then become committed to criticizing both sides of the political spectrum and both major political parties equally

I would alter this sentence slightly, to say: "The main problem I see with being an independent or a moderate is that you may then become committed to criticizing both sides of the political spectrum and both major political parties uncritically. "

Degrees matter. Context matters.

Maher takes the time to proper point this out and he does it in an odd fashion. You can see why context matters, because by comparing Trump to some major league good achievers at first glance one could get the idea he is PRAISING Trump! No, he isn't. No, no, no.  Maher is playing around with degrees.

For my part, I barely can watch much cable news for long periods. Because the more things change-the more they stay the same. Trump is shameless; the country is handicapped (by republicans) by its rules of law and an inability to effectively make Trump care. Thus, Trump has become the United States time of "in-betweens."

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.5  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
The main problem I see with being an independent or a moderate is that you then become committed to criticizing both sides of the political spectrum and both major political parties equally.

Why do I think the main problem you see with being an independent is not getting to hate Trump every minute of your life?

The effect is to further enable Trump.

Enable him to do what, exactly?  What is this long list of achievements he's used to bring about the demise of the republic?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.6  dave-2693993  replied to  JohnRussell @2    5 years ago
The main problem I see with being an independent or a moderate is that you then become committed to criticizing both sides of the political spectrum and both major political parties equally.  If you criticize Trump or the Republicans only or more than you criticize liberals you may get the feeling that people will no longer see you as moderate or independent.

Against my better judgement, I'll make the statement you appear to actually believe that.

With that statement in place, what is the thought process which results in that conclusion?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.6.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.6    5 years ago
With that statement in place, what is the thought process which results in that conclusion?

I have excellent powers of observation.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.6.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @2.6.1    5 years ago
I have excellent powers of observation.

It's not your powers of observation John, it's those heavy thick prismatic lenses you see the world through that is.....

What you observe is so refracted by them it's hardly recognizable as the real world....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.6.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.6.2    5 years ago

whatever that means lol.

One thing I do know is that I will never have to look back and wonder why I ever went easy on Donald Trump.

That window has closed for a bunch of people here.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.6.4  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @2.6.3    5 years ago
One thing I do know is that I will never have to look back and wonder why I ever went easy on Donald Trump. That window has closed for a bunch of people here.

And you want to know the truth?

That window closed a long time ago. Pretty much everyone posting on boards like these will be dead in another 20 years or so.....

That includes you and me....

The world leaders in the next 20 years are graduating high school/junior college now.... The movers and shakers are about to take the stage....

WE, all of us, both sides on forums like this are old news..... (and pretty much irrelevant)

And all we can do is rail on and on about it.....

Just the facts

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.6.5  dave-2693993  replied to  JohnRussell @2.6.1    5 years ago

I think most would say the same of themselves, yet it does not explain the reasoning for such conclusions.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.6.6  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @2.6.4    5 years ago
And all we can do is rail on and on about it.....

Some rant, some pontificate and blowhard

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.6.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.6.5    5 years ago
I think most would say the same of themselves, yet it does not explain the reasoning for such conclusions.

After Trump is gone, I would rather be able to say that I berated him every day than have to admit at that point that I never berated him at all. He's the worst president in this history of this country, by far, and embarrasses the United States of America every single day and most of the time he opens his mouth.  If now is not the time to speak out about it, when will be?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.6.8  dave-2693993  replied to  JohnRussell @2.6.7    5 years ago
After Trump is gone, I would rather be able to say that I berated him every day than have to admit at that point that I never berated him at all. He's the worst president in this history of this country, by far, and embarrasses the United States of America every single day and most of the time he opens his mouth.  If now is not the time to speak out about it, when will be?

Do you see how that statement is different than your prior statement?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.6.9  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @2.6.6    5 years ago
Some rant, some pontificate and blowhard

And you do them all so well.

Especially when you do them all together, you have developed the technique into an art form.....

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    5 years ago

Since false equivalencies are on their faces false and thus considering these are such exceptional times those who will not or cannot decide which side of things they are on right now regarding creeping Trumposm must forever go into the same category of enablers and sympathizers as the goddamn Vichy French...

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.1  dave-2693993  replied to  JBB @3    5 years ago
Since false equivalencies are on their faces false and thus considering these are such exceptional times those who will not or cannot decide which side of things they are on right now regarding creeping Trumposm must forever go into the same category of enablers and sympathizers as the goddamn Vichy French...

Who was it that said to repeat the lie and it will become truth?

Hmmm? Let me think...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    5 years ago

Bothsidesism is not limited to politics.

NT is a "bothsides" site. Equal privileges for all, regardless of... whatever... and particularly, regardless of factual content. Lies and exaggerations "cannot be prevented because both sides do it".

The consequence is that NT becomes an accomplice in swiftboating neo-fascists' targets. The current target is AOC. There are a couple of articles every day, attacking her without actually giving any facts whatsoever.

If one side does 1% while the other does 99%... it is strictly true that "both sides do it". It is also totally misleading.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    5 years ago

This problem is common everywhere. The right wing/conservative media machine has been putting out false information daily for 25 or 30 years. I think the concept of constant propaganda wears people down and desensitizes them from being able to tell true from false. The sitting president of the United States has praised "Infowars" an internet "news" program almost entirely dedicated to making things up.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    5 years ago

Infowars is no different from Bill Maher both are entertainment shows not to be taken seriously. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1.1    5 years ago

I havent seen Maher make up facts. He has ridiculed those he thinks are wrong or are hurting the country, and if you want to call lampooning someone "extreme" than maybe Maher is "extreme" in his ridicule, but he doesnt make up facts.

He is nothing like Alex Jones.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1.1    5 years ago
Infowars is no different from Bill Maher

... because BOTH SIDES DO IT ! ! !

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    5 years ago
The consequence is that NT becomes an accomplice in swiftboating neo-fascists' targets. The current target is AOC. There are a couple of articles every day, attacking her without actually giving any facts whatsoever. 

Interesting thought process Bob .. not giving facts like: taking aim at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the equivalent to her being a target of neo-fascist swiftboating on NT ..? … which is interesting, here all this time I was thinking Ocasio-Cortez was the 'butt' of the joke - perhaps the Sarah Palin of the left ..? AOC makes about the same amount of sense as Palin...

It remains to be seen how things unfold .. but the view from my fence sitting high horse is that both side are being impacted by elements of 'party' extremes, which is not a good thing - yet to single out NT in such a manner is disingenuous at best Bob - one side does 1% .. the other side does 99% .. is this a confident statement of your belief, or is the statement facts as you see them?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.3.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.3    5 years ago
AOC makes about the same amount of sense as Palin...

That's exactly the kind of swiftboat-empty-attack that I was describing. Your sentence is untrue... and you don't bother to even make any pretense of supporting your attack.

Thanks for the demonstration... jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.3.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.3.1    5 years ago
. Your sentence is untrue... and you don't bother to even make any pretense of supporting your attack.

Awww, and where is your pretense of support for your assertion of 1% v 99% attack on NT ..

Somewhere along the way you missed the part in my comment about seeing Ocasio-Cortez as the 'butt' of a joke … selective outrage looks good on you Bob ....

Thanks for the demonstration... jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.3.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.3.3    5 years ago

[Removed]

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Extreme partisan blames other side, excuses his own!

maybe a dog bites man story, next?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  Texan1211    5 years ago

Come on, people. 

This is a freaking comedian we are talking about, FFS.

Bill Maher??

Phffft.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
6.1  arkpdx  replied to  Texan1211 @6    5 years ago
This is a freaking comedian we are talking about

No we are not! Comedians are entertaining and funny .

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  arkpdx @6.1    5 years ago

Well, you got me there!

LOL!

Junior Participates
6.1.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  arkpdx @6.1    5 years ago

Well, of course, you wouldn't find the truth funny considering that you're on the other side of it. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @6    5 years ago

Tex, ole Billy Boy is pretty damn on target.

Comedians or not, they spread an awful lot of truth about an awful lott

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.2    5 years ago

Look, I know many folks posting here get their "news" from late night talk show hosts and comedians.

I'm not one of them.

Try someone else to sell it to.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @6.2.1    5 years ago
someone else to sell it to

i'mmm not in the market to sell, what you may be intellectually deficient enough, to purchase, all I know, is I can't afford it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @6.2.2    5 years ago

You may be right, hang on to all you have because you may use it someday.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7  dave-2693993    5 years ago

giphy.gif

This article reminds me of something often attributed to Albert Einstein, though without research, I am not sure he was the actual source of the quote.

Then of course there is the same "oh, they have to make up their mind" nonsense from some, regardless of how many times they have been told how wrong that is.

What's saying about repeating a lie? Oh, and a hard right wing scum said that too. Hmm? The hard left leaning of some wouldn't be acting like hard right wing fascists would they?

Not possible. Surely they wouldn't be acting the same? Would they?

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    5 years ago

One of the "shame the devil" moments where an "Amen" can be heard is when Maher (@6:09) points out it would never have entered the minds of democrats to ignore the constitutional rule of proper "advice and consent" as Majority Leader McConnell did by not providing it to President Obama's pick for the highest court in this country. It was a new dirtiest political maneuver. Still, the engine and the wheel has not paused or stopped to assess the trauma it has done to our shared body politics!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  CB @8    5 years ago

Republicans are not small-d democrats. They are against democracy, unless it gives them their way.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1    5 years ago

Not an accurate and true statement.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.1    5 years ago

Mitch McConnell.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.2    5 years ago

Very good, Bob.

You managed to name a Republican.

You did not mange to relate it to your earlier inaccurate statement, but I'll give you points for at least typing something.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.3    5 years ago

Anyone who doesn't see that McConnell is against democracy, is being intentionally impervious.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.4    5 years ago

Hmmmmmm……………………...prove it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.5    5 years ago
……………...prove it

Nah. Mitch proves it all the time.

Junior Participates
8.1.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.1    5 years ago
Not an accurate and true statement.

And yet the facts fully support it.  Go figger. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.1.7    5 years ago

Prove it.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
8.1.9  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.8    5 years ago
Prove it.

Tex,

if you haven't seen enuff proof by now,

get your head out of the damn pudding

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  igknorantzrulz @8.1.9    5 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @8.1.9    5 years ago

In Texas, we have a saying for people who claim stuff but can't back it up.

All hat and no cattle.

Seems like we have a couple here doing that same thing right now.

Junior Participates
8.1.12  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.11    5 years ago
Seems like we have a couple here doing that same thing right now.

That old biblical verse:  "Look to thine own house" is certainly apropos here.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.1.12    5 years ago

Really?

Did I claim that Republicans, specifically McConnell, were against democracy and then refuse to substantiate that claim?

Why, no, no, I didn't!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.15  Bob Nelson  replied to    5 years ago

Why should I?

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.1.16  bugsy  replied to  Bob Nelson @8.1.6    5 years ago
Nah. Mitch proves it all the time.

It's OK...we understand you have nothing. Would have been easier if you had just said it outright...or said nothing at all.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
8.1.17  Bob Nelson  replied to  bugsy @8.1.16    5 years ago

jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Junior Participates
8.1.18  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.13    5 years ago
Did I claim that Republicans, specifically McConnell, were against democracy and then refuse to substantiate that claim?

No, you just have a built-in and always-ready double standard for morality, ethics, honesty and decency...that's all. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.1.18    5 years ago

So just the usual--deflection and avoiding answering.

Got it.

Gee, thanks for that.

I am sooo surprised!

Junior Participates
8.1.20  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.19    5 years ago
I am sooo surprised!

You shouldn't be, by now, at least.  I can't be the only person who's called out your despicable double standard.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.21  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.1.20    5 years ago
You shouldn't be, by now, at least.  I can't be the only person who's called out your despicable double standard.  

I didn't realize that I needed to point out sarcasm to adults. My mistake!

Of course, you could always just try to answer what was asked instead of going off on some wild tangent...…….

Naw, I know THAT won't happen!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @8    5 years ago

ne of the "shame the devil" moments where an "Amen" can be heard is when Maher (@6:09) points out it would never have entered the minds of democrats to ignore the constitutional rule of proper "advice and consent"

The senate’s rejection of garland was both constitutional and publicly advocated for by democrats the last two times they were in that specific  situation. Maher’s  taking advantage of democrats ignorance  of recent history  to make a blatantly dishonest argument.

And when in the White House, Obama was more than willing to make illegal recess appointments to avoid the senates right to advise and consent, before getting smacked down by a unanimous Supreme Court. 

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.1  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.2    5 years ago

The "things" are not the same. Moreover, you can continue to argue to the bottom of the barrel if you wish. Somebody should argue for raising up at the top of that same barrel!

We are on our way somewhere in this country, Sean. It seems to me, this direction: The 'every man or woman does what is right in his or her own eyes' doctrine.

This doctrine shall be uncharted political territory. Because some truly bad people shall be 'pushing up' and scoping out our political landscape too. If our politics becomes a ground of full and open expediency, where "anybody" can enter—do not act surprised when hardcore gangsters and life-long criminals see an opportunity to wield power and influence. That is, . . . when we drop all decorum (or pretense of it) and brute POWER becomes 'the thing.'

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  CB @8.2.1    5 years ago
The "things" are not the same

The only thing that distinguishes what McConnell did from what Biden and Schumer publicly claimed they would do, is that the McConnell was presented with the chance to act. 

Given the stated intent of Biden and Schumer to deny the Bushes a chance to have  a Supreme Court candidate confirmed, it's simply dishonest to claim that "it would never have entered the minds of Democrats." It clearly entered the minds of Senators Biden and Schumer, to the extent that Biden delivered a long speech justifying it. 

e are on our way somewhere in this country, Sean

We are. And its not good. But it's claims like this, that distort truth to perpetuate a partisan Manichean view where Democrats are perfect and Republicans evil, that is the real danger. 

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.3  CB  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.2.2    5 years ago
Manichean view. . . .

You stated yourself our direction "it's not good." So, where does this lead us?  We need a turn around. We can't maintain this high level of political suspense and angst. Something materially important is giving (or caving in) already-yet, the systems are self-correcting. Who (what) will come out on top? The literally old political party leaders on either side or the youthful first-timers who have no respect for all that has gone before?

All I am saying is lying, cheating, politically shallow victories, or well-carried out defeats to the system which undermine a democratic foundation will have expected consequences. Both sides can only dig so deep or gain so much mileage out of this, before something important and serious snaps. Wisdom should inform us all. When brute force politics becomes "the thing" know this: There are some 'players' in our society on the fringes itching to show the current teams what true political 'gore' can look and taste like.

We should start heading up towards the top of 'the barrel' while we have the chance. . . .

Junior Participates
8.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.2    5 years ago
The senate’s rejection of garland was both constitutional and publicly advocated for by democrats the last two times they were in that specific  situation.

That, of course, if completely false.  Let's see an actual citation for that claim and don't think we don't see the weasel wording of "publicly advocated" which is a far cry from actually preventing a hearing for a Rep SCOTUS nominee.  

Junior Participates
8.2.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sean Treacy @8.2.2    5 years ago
The only thing that distinguishes what McConnell did from what Biden and Schumer publicly claimed they would do, is that the McConnell was presented with the chance to act. 

Between "would do" (unfounded claim so far)  and "did" there's a vast ocean of difference.  What a pitiful attempt to justify the unjustifiable but it does indicate that even you know that and can't let yourself admit it. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8.2.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @8.2.5    5 years ago

Do you want to read this thread again and start over?

You don't seem to understand what's going on.