[]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1  author  A. Macarthur    5 years ago

Bright idea.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  A. Macarthur @1    5 years ago

Kindred Spirits - a VERY clever concept illustrated perfectly.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Beautiful photos Mac.

We had a very nice sunset here last night while sitting outside drinking a few brews with my neighbor last night.

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago

Here we have the only lighthouse in the US that is in the middle of a four lane road.

It is cast iron and was erected in 1848.

If this works, it is a cam on top of the lighthouse.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1  author  A. Macarthur  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago

It works perfectly!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago

I think I know that lighthouse,

You come out of Keesler AFB turn left and soon you  are at a lighthouse.

Just past it was a place that sold fantastic shrimp and the folks there scratched their heads watching me spice it up.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Ender  replied to  dave-2693993 @3.2    5 years ago

That's it. If you look at the cam, I use to live right on the right side of the screen. There were houses on the road frontage, I was one house back.

The house was destroyed by Katrina. Loved the old house. It was built in about 1917. Only one wall remained standing, the wall with the original fireplace.

spice it up

Not me, I like a little spice. :  )

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @3.2.1    5 years ago

Sorry to here about the house jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.2    5 years ago

I loved it.  The land it was on and other parcels are now a small park with a walking track around it.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Ender @3.2.1    5 years ago

That is a shame about the house. Beautiful area there.

Yeah, I like me some spice. Food is almost tasteless unless it is covered in cayenne or similar. I mean covered in a measurable depth of the good stuff.

I found a really good and tasty hot sauce. No where near the heat of Dave's Ultimate Insanity, which I think is tasteless. But good heat and great flavor.

Malinda's XXXX. When it comes to sauces, these days it's my top shelf. lol.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.3  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @3    5 years ago

▪  The lighthouse was civilian operated for 91 years, until 1939. It had several female lightkeepers, including Maria Younghans, who worked the lights for 53 years, according to the City of Biloxi. The U.S. Coast Guard later assumed light operations.

▪  The lighthouse was declared surplus property in 1968 and deeded to the City of Biloxi, which later opened the lighthouse for public tours.

▪  The lighthouse has withstood storms including Hurricanes Camille and Katrina. The latter, in August 2005, broke windows in the light cupola and destroyed its electrical system. Biloxi re-opened the lighthouse to the public for tours in March 2010 after a 14-month, $400,000 restoration project funded by FEMA and MEMA.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @3.3    5 years ago

That's it. Thanks.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @3.3    5 years ago

I thank you as well, SP, since I was unable to open the YouTube posted by Ender.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

I see the light. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    5 years ago

My New home town and my Old Home Town !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  It Is ME @5    5 years ago

Which lighthouse was your favourite?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    5 years ago
Which lighthouse was your favourite?

My Old Home Town Light ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Great place to live while a "Kid". But very expensive when you become an "Adult".

They don't call it "Taxachusettes" for nothing. jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Since lighthouses are of major interest in this article, the only lighthouse with which I am personally familiar was at the canal through the Burlington Beach strip that divided Burlington Bay from the far western end of Lake Ontario.  When I was a child I would spend the summers at my grandmother's cottage on the bay side of the beach strip, go fishing with my favourite uncle off the canal pier (Fisherman's Wharf) right near the lighthouse while watching the huge iron-ore carrying ships pass through the canal on the way to the Steel Company of Canada, and then while away the evenings watching the sunsets over the bay from the screened porch of the cottage, causing sparkles of light on the ripples, listening to the rustle of the tall poplar tree leaves when a storm was brewing, then joining the family playing pennyante poker on the dining room table - some of the happiest most carefree memories of my lifetime.  This was my lighthouse:

UPDATE-Lighthouse-Celebration-Poster-104