╌>

Trump exposes the hypocrisy of Christian Republicans

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  don-overton  •  5 years ago  •  33 comments

The dehumanization of migrants and refugees has been one of the most consistent themes of this president —

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The question is:  Are trump followers Christian or anti-Christian?

Three recent news items:

● At the Catholic Prayer Breakfast in Washington, House Speaker Paul D. Ryan   said : “We see moral relativism becoming more and more pervasive in our culture. Identity politics and tribalism have grown on top of this.” Ryan went on to talk about Catholic social doctrine, with its emphasis on “solidarity” with the poor and weak, as “a perfect antidote to what ails our culture.”

● In the Oval Office,   according to   new reporting from The Post, President Trump boasted in February 2017 about how easy it is to appeal to audiences with an anti-immigrant message: “Acting as if he were at a rally, he recited a few made-up Hispanic names and described potential crimes they could have committed, such as rape and murder. Then, he said, the crowds would roar when the criminals were thrown out of the country.” In The Post’s account, “[Stephen] Miller and [Jared] Kushner laughed.”

At the U.S. border, the brutal separation of confused, weeping children from parents who cross illegally is being implemented. Unaccompanied minors, too, are suffering. According to the Arizona Republic, “The Office of Refugee Resettlement reported at the end of 2017 that of the 7,000-plus children placed with sponsored individuals, the agency did not know where 1,475 of them were.” Some could be lost to abuse or trafficking.

What do these incidents add up to? A political, moral and religious failure of massive, discrediting proportions.

It is often difficult to apply theological doctrines to public policy. But if there is one area where the teaching of the Christian faith is utterly clear, it is in the requirement to care for the vulnerable stranger.   According to   the Hebrew scriptures: “When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born.” In the New Testament, Jesus employs compassion for an abused, reviled foreigner (a Samaritan) as the test and definition of neighborly love.

The dehumanization of migrants and refugees has been one of the most consistent themes of this president — including using the fact that some criminals enter the country illegally to fan a generalized hostility to Hispanic immigration. Can you imagine what would have happened if a White House staffer attending a policy meeting on family separation had said, “This is cruel. This is immoral. This is wrong”? They would have been quickly cleaning out their desk. The rejection of Christian teaching on this issue is pretty much a job requirement in the Trump administration.

And how did Ryan address the issue of Trump’s habit of dehumanization at the Catholic Prayer Breakfast? By avoidance, under a thick layer of hypocrisy. The Wisconsin Republican complained that politicians are too often in “survival mode” — trying to “get through the day,” rather than reflecting on and applying Catholic social teaching.

Ryan was effectively criticizing the whole theory of his speakership. He has been in survival mode from the first day of Trump’s presidency, making the case that publicly burning bridges with the president would undermine the ability to pursue his vision of the common good (including tax reform and regulatory relief). This, while a weak argument, is at least a consistent one. But by making the Christian commitment to human dignity relative to other political aims, Ryan can no longer speak of “moral relativism” as the defining threat of our time.

In the name of survival, Ryan has ignored and enabled the transformation of the GOP into an anti-immigrant party. This does not reflect his personal views. But it will be remembered as the hallmark of his time in office — the elevation of survival above solidarity.

My tradition of evangelical Protestantism is, if anything, even worse.  According to  a recent Pew Research Center poll, white evangelical Protestants are the least likely group in America to affirm an American responsibility to accept refugees. Evangelicals insist on the centrality and inerrancy of scripture and condemn society for refusing to follow biblical norms — and yet, when it comes to verse after verse requiring care for the stranger, they don’t merely ignore this mandate; they oppose it.

This represents the failure of Christian political leadership — not only from the speaker but from most other elected religious conservatives, too. Even more, it indicates the failure of the Christian church in the moral formation of its members, who remain largely untutored in the most important teachings of their own faith.

Ryan concluded his remarks by quoting Mother Teresa on God’s call to “be faithful,” not to “be successful.” But what if one is neither? Perhaps silence is the best option.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  Don Overton    5 years ago

Do you follow Christ and his teachings or do you ignore them and keep right on with  ignoring Christian morals and values

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Don Overton @1    5 years ago

walk into a born again scum fake xtian church on sunday morning during services and you can probably count the number of real christians there on 2 hands, if that.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.1  epistte  replied to  devangelical @1.1    5 years ago
walk into a born again scum fake xtian church on sunday morning during services and you can probably count the number of real christians there on 2 hands, if that.

I have often said that if we required religious conservatives to live by the teachings of the man that they claim to be their savior and the son of god that they would claim that they were victims of religious persecution. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2  cjcold  replied to  Don Overton @1    5 years ago

Seems all religions have gone political in the vain hope of keeping their ignorant sycophants in power.

Won't vote for an avowed religionist ever again (which really narrows the field).

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  cjcold @1.2    5 years ago

god told me to run has always been an automatic candidate disqualifier for me.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    5 years ago

Was just reading today that for the first time in the US religious nones make up the largest percentage of all religious groups. Assholes like Ryan are a perfect example of why religion is losing out more and more. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1  cjcold  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    5 years ago

Guess I'm out of touch. What is a none?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @2.1    5 years ago

Someone that has no religion?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Krishna  replied to  cjcold @2.1    5 years ago
What is a none?

A "None" is a Protestant Nun.

(They're a lot like Catholic nuns, but they have different habits jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

"The question is: Are trump followers Christian or anti-Christian?"

"Christian"....AND ….. "Law abiding" at the same time ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

In simple wording for the "Insane" ……. We do like the actual "Law" to be followed ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Political "Feelings" type "Rules" are something to fight against though ! jrSmiley_50_smiley_image.gif

There is a "Difference.....dontchyaknow ! jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1  SteevieGee  replied to  It Is ME @3    5 years ago

Applying for sanctuary is not a crime.  It seems like Christian should know that.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1    5 years ago

The Crime is …… "ILLEGALLY" crossing the border to get it !

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    5 years ago

Obviously you DON'T GET IT !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    5 years ago
you DON'T GET IT !

Don't Get What ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.3    5 years ago

EXACTLY !

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    5 years ago
EXACTLY

Exactly What ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1.6  SteevieGee  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    5 years ago

It is morally bankrupt.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1.6    5 years ago

[Removed]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1.6    5 years ago
It is morally bankrupt.

What is "Morally Bankrupt" ?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1.9  SteevieGee  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.8    5 years ago

[deleted.]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @3.1.9    5 years ago

deleted for context

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.11  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.1    5 years ago

Exactly.  If they are seeking asylum according to international law one must seek it in the first safe country they enter from their own.  

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.1.12  SteevieGee  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.11    5 years ago

So...  We should only let Mexicans in then?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    5 years ago

It would be nice if the shitstain in chief followed the law.  

That big fat turd believes he is above the law.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @4    5 years ago

What Actual "Law" has he actually broken ?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @4.1    5 years ago

What Actual "Law" has he actually broken ?

You mean besides campaign finance laws?  Can you say Stormy Daniels?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.1    5 years ago
Can you say Stormy Daniels?

Nope !

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.2    5 years ago

Nope !

Sure you can, just try....Ready?

Sssssttttooooorrrrrrmmmmmyyyyyyy

Dddddaaaaannnnniiiieeeelllllllsssssssss

Pronounced just the way it looks.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.3    5 years ago

oooohhhhh …..you just wanted me to say her name !

Got it. My Bad. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Stormy Daniels !

Happy ? jrSmiley_24_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.4    5 years ago
Got it. My Bad.

Yes I know.

You indicated that you couldn't say it, so just thought I'd help.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.5    5 years ago
so just thought I'd help.

Thaaaaanks ! jrSmiley_75_smiley_image.gif

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Well, this year old opinion piece (May 28, 2018?) by Michael Gerson was too late back then and is certainly out of date now.  Gerson, like Clinton's followers, is upset because Donald Trump defeated his brand of Republican.  The Republican Party was divided when Trump won the nomination in 2016.  And evangelical clingers, like Gerson, aren't trying to unify anything by using God for political advantage.

At least Democrats have no worries about being labeled hypocrite Christians.  Bitter Clinton followers must rely upon secular divisions with the Democratic Party.  It seems the political deadwood in both parties have nothing to offer except division.  

Cognitive dissonance won't transform a loss into a win.  These dead end clingers seem to think that they can't be happy until no one is happy.  It appears that cynical evangelicals and atheists have a great deal in common; God is only a means to a political end.  

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6  luther28    5 years ago

Though not all, many have managed to accomplish this without the assistance of Mr. Trump.

They are big boys and girls who have made the decision all on their own for reasons explainable only to themselves. Wrestle with the devil and you are bound to get dirty.