╌>

Pelosi appears to take new jab at Ocasio-Cortez, says ‘a glass of water’ with a ‘D’ could win their districts

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  vic-eldred  •  5 years ago  •  53 comments

Pelosi appears to take new jab at Ocasio-Cortez, says ‘a glass of water’ with a ‘D’ could win their districts
“When we won this election, it wasn’t in districts like mine or Alexandria’s,” Pelosi said. “[S]he’s a wonderful member of Congress as I think all of our colleagues will attest. But those are districts that are solidly Democratic.” To drive the point home she picked up a water glass next to her and said: “This glass of water would win with a ‘D’ next to its name in those districts.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

House Speaker  Nancy Pelosi , D-Calif., on Monday made a point to heap more praise on Democrats who flipped Republican seats in the 2018 midterms and downplayed representatives like herself and freshman Rep.  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez , D-N.Y., who carried districts where a "glass of water" with a "D" next to it could win.

“When we won this election, it wasn’t in districts like mine or Alexandria’s,” Pelosi said. “[S]he’s a wonderful member of Congress as I think all of our colleagues will attest. But those are districts that are solidly Democratic.”

To drive the point home she picked up a water glass next to her and said: “This glass of water would win with a ‘D’ next to its name in those districts.”

Pelosi, who is traveling in   Europe   with a congressional delegation this week, made the comments during an appearance before the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Pelosi’s comment appeared to be her latest attempt to play down the influence of the Democrats’ progressive wing. During a Sunday interview with CBS News’ Lesley Stahl on “ 60 Minutes ,” Pelosi said that faction was “like five people.”

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Now that was what Iv'e been trying to understand....how Cortez and Omar managed to win elections in this country.

Thanks Nancy

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    5 years ago
'how Cortez and Omar managed to win elections in this country.'

Because they're bright and will represent their constituents.  Unlike the 'right' who only represent themselves and the wealthy.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    5 years ago

Thank you for the laugh. I really needed it this morning.

Which is why Cortez is already under investigation for campaign finance fraud.

Ocasio-Cortez's current chief of staff Saikat Chakrabarti helped found two groups, Justice Democrats and Brand New Congress, that aimed to elect progressive candidates to office. Ocasio-Cortez is also listed as a "governor" of Justice Democrats in a business filing.

Records show that in 2016 and 2017 political action committees operated by the groups paid over $1 million to a company that Chakrabarti also ran, which was called Brand New Congress LLC.

Limited liability companies are a tool sometimes used in politics to obscure the flow of money.

Ordinarily, individual campaign expenses are reported to the FEC. But by routing the money instead to Chakrabarti's company — which his lawyer says was founded to be a "one-stop" campaign vendor — they were able to label it as a "strategic consulting" expense and fulfill the FEC's disclosure requirements. Chakrabarti's company could then spend the money as it wanted without being obligated to report where it went.

Guess that it is only wrong when Trump or a Republican does it.

As for Omar, she is the mouth that won't stop giving- but for her sake she really should. Of course she has that all important D behind her name, so that makes her a "valued servant of the people".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

We're not talking about Rump here.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.3    5 years ago

You just did. jrSmiley_27_smiley_image.gif

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1.5  zuksam  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.1    5 years ago
Of course she has that all important D behind her name, so that makes her a "valued servant of the people".

If Omar keeps talking she'll lose her seat to an independent or another D will challenge her. There is no place so solidly Democratic that a well funded left leaning Independent couldn't beat her if the election was next month. All they'd have to do is run adds with her Talking.

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    5 years ago

What Speaker Polosi is actually saying is that despite, or maybe because of and thanks to, the far far far right wings's concerted organized efforts to defame, demoralize, degrade, dehumanize and demonize them AOC and Ilan Omar are more popular than ever and will both be overwhelming reelected by their grateful constituents, The righties are just indignant there is not one damn thing they can do to stop them both being reelected so we will be treated daily to this sort of vainass bullshit propaganda. Righties are terrified by honest representatives who are not owned by big banks, big oil and big defense contractors. Get used to it...

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

is that despite, or maybe because of and thanks to, the far far far right wings's concerted organized efforts to defame, demoralize, degrade, dehumanize and demonize them AOC and Ilan Omar are more popular than ever and will both be overwhelming reelected by their grateful constituent

Now that's funny.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago
AOC and Ilan Omar are more popular than ever and will both be overwhelming reelected by their grateful constituents.
We certainly hope so....as they will continue to ignore common sense and defy Pelosi....to the detriment of the Democrat party by allowing  these ignorant and out of touch wackos to keep making fools of themselves and alienating a majority of the American people.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2    5 years ago

Bernie Sanders seemed to be defending Omar, last night, saying "“It is not anti-Semitic to be critical of a right-wing government in Israel”.  I wonder how long he's going to cling to that defense?  How long will it take before Omar takes another shot at Jews?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.3  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago
What Speaker Polosi is actually saying is that despite, or maybe because of and thanks to, the far far far right wings's concerted organized efforts to defame, demoralize, degrade, dehumanize and demonize them AOC and Ilan Omar are more popular than ever and will both be overwhelming reelected by their grateful constituents. The righties are just indignant there is not one damn thing they can do to stop them both being reelected so we will be treated daily to this sort of vainass bullshit propaganda. Righties are terrified by honest representatives who are not owned by big banks, big oil and big defense contractors. Get used to it...

Nancy Pelosi is shrewd, unlike the young crazed leftist freshmen to whom she's having to explain life.  Nancy understands the House is won by winning seats in marginal districts.  AOC's seat is safe... unless a glass of water attempts to primary her.  Collin Allred's is not, and every time AOC or Omar embarrasses the Democratic Party, the Republicans gain ground in districts that are close.

Today's angry leftists have replaced the angry Falwellian morality zealots of the 1980s, and are missing the same lessons.  Most people are not extremists.  Most people don't want you interfering in their lives, no matter what your echo chamber tells you or how good you think your intentions are. 

Every time AOC makes an idiot of herself on television or Omar makes a bullshit comment about Islam, it reflects poorly on the Democratic Party and makes it less likely that Allred or Lucy McBath or Angie Craig or Abby Spanberger is going to be re-elected.

Nancy is smart enough to understand this.  Far too many liberals are not.

The "righties" absolutely LOVE AOC and Omar.  They are the biggest gifts to the Republican Party since Sheldon Adelson.  Just turn them loose and watch them destroy the Democratic Party from within.  It's almost impossible to believe they're not on some Republican payroll somewhere.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    5 years ago

Just being loud and obnoxious is not impressive or productive.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @4    5 years ago

Again, we're not talking about Rump here are we?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Tessylo @4.1    5 years ago

Correct, we are not talking about Trump.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @4.1.1    5 years ago

[Removed]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
4.2  Don Overton  replied to  Sunshine @4    5 years ago

Tell that to Trump, mcconnell, and the rest of the repugs congressional members 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5  Ronin2    5 years ago

Of course Pelosi has no room to talk. Her district is no better.  Democrat only to say the least.

Indeed, Pelosi typically draws a handful of challengers to her reelection, including Republicans, Independents, Green party members and, now and then, fellow Democrats. Rarely, however, has she drawn multiple opponents from her own party. In a district where only 7 percent of registered voters are Republican, it’s really the challenge from the left that’s notable.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ronin2 @5    5 years ago

She admitted that

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

She's not wrong.

The Democrats won the House by running "moderates" in moderate districts. If they run race obsessed, ignorant idiot AOC clones in moderate districts, the Republicans would easily control the House.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    5 years ago

And if they are unable to pass any significant legislation, while spending all their time opposing Trump they will loose the House right back in 2020

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago

Exactly.  AOC and Omar excesses will also damage the odds of these so called moderates getting re elected in swing districts.  

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.2  Don Overton  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    5 years ago

What significant legislation have republicans passed

Make me a list

[deleted]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.3  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Don Overton @6.1.2    5 years ago

Whataboutism?

You can do better than that, Don

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.4  Don Overton  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.3    5 years ago

I'm waiting, what century will you provide that list

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.5  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Don Overton @6.1.4    5 years ago

We passed legislation. We got a tax cut and The First Step Act.

Now back to you. What have dems passed?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.6  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.5    5 years ago

Our friend must be googling!   Let's see how long it takes?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.6    5 years ago
Our friend must be googling! Let's see how long it takes?

Highly doubtful.

Probably just doesn't know.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.8  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.7    5 years ago

What's that axiom of lawyers?  Never ask a question, unless you know what the answer will be.   I guess some forgot the TAX ACT & THE FIRST STEP ACT, but we should all know that the House hasn't put forward any significant legislation since the dems took over

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Jasper2529  replied to  Don Overton @6.1.2    5 years ago
What significant legislation have republicans passed

Make me a list

And it's really too bad you can't speak American English

It's really too bad that your caps lock, shift,  >.  and ?/ keys don't work. Glass houses and all that!  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Don Overton @6.1.2    5 years ago

Why can't you just admit that you hate conservatives and/or Republicans so much that you would just deny anything that anyone came up with as lies or falsehoods anyway. You have done so before on numerous other occasions, so why bother?jrSmiley_46_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.1.10    5 years ago
You have done so before on numerous other occasions, so why bother?

Sorry, Ed, but I think I have to correct something in that.

Really, shouldn't that be ALL instead of numerous other occasions?

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.12  Don Overton  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.3    5 years ago

Whataboutism  Is that gibberish? What do ou think it means

Where's my list?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @6.1.12    5 years ago
Where's my list?

Probably right there with the rest of your lists.

Look harder!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1.14  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.11    5 years ago

Very true. I was being charitable...jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Thanks again Nancy

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    5 years ago

Another gift to the GOP.jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.1  Don Overton  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1    5 years ago

Glad you like to dream 

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.2  Don Overton  replied to  Vic Eldred @7    5 years ago

The right is so scared of Nancy they pee their diapers when she says anything because the can't comprehend anything worth while

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Don Overton @7.2    5 years ago

Oh we are really petrified!

zuksam
Junior Silent
7.2.2  zuksam  replied to  Don Overton @7.2    5 years ago

The only thing scary about Nancy Pelosi is the way she looks. I'm pretty sure she's the Crypt Keeper's older sister.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  zuksam @7.2.2    5 years ago

And here I though she was his mother...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Don Overton @7.2    5 years ago

In your own words, "Glad you like to dream."jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.2.5  Don Overton  replied to  zuksam @7.2.2    5 years ago

The only things the right has is provision  of the Christian ethics and morality

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
7.2.6  Don Overton  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.2.4    5 years ago

The right lives on dreams because they have no reality

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Don Overton @7.2.5    5 years ago
The only things the right has is provision of the Christian ethics and morality

Anyone care to take a shot at deciphering this gibberish?

Anyone at all?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.2.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Don Overton @7.2.6    5 years ago

Oh come on Don, is that the best you can do? I expected better from you...jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.2.8    5 years ago

Since Pelosi admits that a glass of water could get elected in some Democratic areas, can we finally put to bed, once and for all, the myth some have perpetrated about how they all look at the candidates and make choices based on issues?

According to Nancy, they don't even need a stance on issues--just a "D" after their name.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Pelosi appears to take new jab at Ocasio-Cortez, says ‘a glass of water’ with a ‘D’ could win their districts."

It didn't "Appear" to me at all. It WAS A JAB !

I Actually luv'd it. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

AOC won't get it though. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1  Sunshine  replied to  It Is ME @8    5 years ago

It isn't saying much about those who vote in that district either. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Sunshine @8.1    5 years ago
It isn't saying much about those who vote in that district either. 

It was a dig at them too !

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.2  Jasper2529  replied to  It Is ME @8    5 years ago
I Actually luv'd it.

Pelosi has her hands full trying to control her most vocal 3 new kids on the block.

AOC won't get it though.

01b.jpg

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
9  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

I think Kevin Williamson summed up the state of the Democrat Party pretty nicely:

The Democrats are in a political pickle. They would very much prefer that the Jew-hating caucus shut up, and they are not crazy about the fact that the public face of the Democratic party is, at the moment, risible and demented amateurs such as Representative Omar and Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, i.e., the people who are even crazier than Senator Sanders. But intersectionality is a jealous god, and they cannot simply tell Representative Omar et al. to sit down and clam up. All they can really do is to try to raise the price of criticizing the nut cutlets on the Democrats’ menu by insisting that criticism of Representative Omar is an attack on Muslims as such, that criticism of Representative Ocasio-Cortez is an attack on Latinas who don’t know how a bill becomes a law, that criticism of Robert Francis O’Rourke is an attack on . . . whatever it is that “Beto” is pretending to be this week. The New York Times et al. are reliable allies on that front.

This is, incidentally, what all those fake hate crimes are really about: Redefining criticism of Democratic politicians and constituencies as violence. When there isn’t enough violence to make that case in a sufficiently dramatic fashion, then violence can simply be invented — and, if the case of Jussie Smollett is anything to go by, the cost of doing so is pretty low. When’s the last time you heard of a prosecutor dropping a 16-felony indictment in exchange for a firm handshake?