╌>

Why Is The President Of The United States Spreading Conspiracy Theories ?

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  59 comments

Doesn't the president of the United States have a responsibility to be level-headed, to be thoughtful, to be accurate?  Or is he supposed to be just another fool spewing out reckless, unproven, and almost always unfounded allegations on twitter which are designed to do nothing more than foster anarchy and distrust? 

There is a blogger named Larry Johnson. I first read of him in 2008 when he was spreading anti-Obama rumors akin to birtherism. After that election I didnt pay any attention to him any more and had totally forgotten he existed. But I guess he has been toiling away in the underbelly of the internet and now Trump is gurgling up a latter day Larry Johnson theory - that Britain helped Obama spy on Trump's presidential campaign. 

“Former CIA analyst Larry Johnson accuses United Kingdom Intelligence of helping Obama Administration Spy on the 2016 Trump Presidential Campaign.” @ OANN WOW! It is now just a question of time before the truth comes out, and when it does, it will be a beauty!

---------

Larry Johnson is in no way shape or form a reliable source of information, particularly when it comes to conspiracy mongering. He has been caught numerous times in the past fabricating stories.

Here are a couple

In 2008, he spread a false claim that Michelle Obama had been videotaped using a slur against white people.

In 2013, Johnson falsely accused then-Secretary of State John F. Kerry of having committed war crimes in Vietnam, alleging that Kerry had “raped some poor Vietnamese woman.”

More recently, he has maintained that the CIA rather than Russia might have been behind the 2016 hacking of the Democratic National Committee.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-promotes-baseless-accusation-of-british-spying-a-day-after-accepting-an-invitation-for-a-state-visit-from-the-queen/2019/04/24/b8e19632-6678-11e9-82ba-fcfeff232e8f_story.html

What I would like to know , particularly from Trump supporters, is why it is acceptable, to anyone , for the president of the United States to be spreading conspiracy theories. 

And in no way is this an anomaly for Trump. He either believes in or as advocated dozens of conspiracy theories in the past. I'm not going to mention them here, but if anyone doubts it just search Trump Believes In Conspiracies.

Of course , at one point Donald Trump actually led a conspiracy theory, the racist "theory" that President Obama was not born in the United States. 

-

Doesn't the president of the United States have a responsibility to be level-headed, to be thoughtful, to be accurate?  Or is he supposed to be just another fool spewing out reckless, unproven, and almost always unfounded allegations on twitter which are designed to do nothing more than foster anarchy and distrust? 

Donald Trump has dozens of profound malfunctions and dysfunctions that make him unfit to lead America. His reckless and stupid promotion of conspiracies deserves a prominent place on that list. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Trump promotes baseless accusation of British spying a day after accepting an invitation for a state visit from the queen

APRIL 24, 2019

UJBE6KCFZAI6TFFL2LO2HQG7KI.jpg

A day after accepting an invitation from Queen Elizabeth II for a state visit to Britain, President Trump on Wednesday promoted a baseless accusation that the United Kingdom had helped the Obama administration spy on his 2016 presidential campaign.

Taking to Twitter, Trump cited a report, attributed to the conservative One America News Network, that cited an accusation of British spying made by Larry Johnson, a former CIA analyst and blogger who has spurred controversies over other false claims as well.

“WOW! It is now just a question of time before the truth comes out, and when it does, it will be a beauty!” Trump wrote.

The spying claim was roundly denied by U.S. and British intelligence officials when it surfaced two years ago.

At that time, Fox News commentator Andrew Napolitano raised the prospect of British spying on air, and Johnson later acknowledged being a source for Napolitano.

Then-White House press secretary Sean Spicer angered the British government by mentioning the claim during a news briefing. The White House subsequently backed away from the claim, and Fox News disavowed it.

A spokesman for Prime Minister Theresa May said at the time that her government had made clear to U.S. authorities that Johnson’s claims were “ridiculous and should have been ignored.”

In a new statement Wednesday, Britain’s main intelligence agency, Government Communications Headquarters, again dismissed the claim.

“As we have previously stated, the allegations that GCHQ was asked to conduct ‘wire tapping’ against the then President Elect are nonsense,” the statement said.

During his planned visit to Britain in early June, Trump is scheduled to meet with May as well as the queen.

In a statement Tuesday, the White House said the trip would “reaffirm the steadfast and special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom.”

Johnson, a longtime critic of U.S. intelligence, has been at the center of several other controversies.

In 2008, he spread a false claim that Michelle Obama had been videotaped using a slur against white people.

In 2013, Johnson falsely accused then-Secretary of State John F. Kerry of having committed war crimes in Vietnam, alleging that Kerry had “raped some poor Vietnamese woman.”

More recently, he has maintained that the CIA rather than Russia might have been behind the 2016 hacking of the Democratic National Committee.

freepress
Freshman Silent
2  freepress    5 years ago

Totally unfit for office. If his family cared enough about him, they would have gotten him some professional help and encouraged him to fully retire. 

Instead we see his clearly failing memory, failing mind, failed thought processes, paranoia, and other signs of early onset dementia while no one steps in to help the man.

It is wrong to stand behind a person so clearly unfit for office pretending he is normal just because far right wing voters see him as their Messiah.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  freepress @2    5 years ago

You guys are so funny. If Trump is so bad, why don't the Democrats impeach him?  jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    5 years ago
If Trump is so bad, why don't the Democrats impeach him?

They just might. The only thing making them hesitate is the Republican controlled Senate that have completely abandoned any oversight responsibility and are now nothing but lap dogs of this monumentally unfit President who will no doubt refuse to confirm the impeachment leaving him in office anyway. They might as well spend their time preparing for the 2020 election, though, if they don't impeach him Democrats are abandoning their oversight role just as much as the Republicans have been.

Whether they impeach him or not, there will eventually be a Democrat nominee chosen for 2020, and when they are, I have no doubt the wide field will coalesce behind them in one massive message of "No More Trump!". I think the Democrats impeaching him now would actually be the way to go, his base is already consolidated as much as a constipated turd can be so it won't really trigger them anymore than they already are, but it would energize many on the left who know Trump needs to be formally rebuked for his outrageous conduct even if he doesn't ultimately get removed.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2  It Is ME  replied to  freepress @2    5 years ago
Totally unfit for office.

Economy now works better , People can keep more of the money they actually work for, Countries actually paying for their own shit, Stupid regulations are in the crapper, ALL Politicians falling all over themselves to try and  prove they aren't Swampy (even though they STILL are), Minimum wages now going up voluntarily, Crappy contracts with other countries being re-negotiated, Work (for those that do work) now a money pit, Folks being made to be an actual "Responsible Person", Unemployment is down in ALL sectors, etc.....

What's the problem again ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago

not only the UK but australia as well.

one only needs " 5 eyes " to see the truth.

when trump declassifies the fisa applications?  things will get interesting

until then, deny deny deny... LOL

cheers :)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @3    5 years ago

Which previous Trump promoted conspiracies turned out to be true? 

That Obama was born in Africa? 

That Cruz's father was in on the JFK assassination? 

That Anton Scalia was murdered ? 

lol

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago

Trump never "promoted" any of those so called "conspiracies".

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    5 years ago
Trump never "promoted" any of those so called "conspiracies".

Don't contaminate my seed. 

lib50
Professor Silent
3.1.3  lib50  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    5 years ago

Stop lying, the Obama birther conspiracy was Trump's main gig for years.  No need for a link to something the entire world witnessed.   And Trump did bring up the Cruz dad link to Kennedy's assassination.    He also discussed the Scalia 'murder'.

A day after accepting the Republican Party’s nomination for president, Donald Trump rehashed a conspiracy theory that claims the man who killed President John F. Kennedy once cavorted with Ted Cruz’s father. “I don't know his father. I met him once. I think he's a lovely guy,” Trump said at a morning-after rally in Cleveland. “All I did is point out the fact that on the cover of the National Enquirer there was a picture of him and crazy Lee Harvey Oswald having breakfast.”

During a call on Monday with talk show host Michael Savage , Trump said it was “pretty unusual” that Scalia was found dead with a pillow over his head on Saturday. 

“Donald, I need to come back to the topic we’ve all been screaming about here, which is Scalia, was he murdered?” Savage asked Trump. “I know it’s pretty brutal to say that, and I’m not wanting to drag you into this, but this is going to be bigger and bigger and bigger."

“I went on air and said we need the equivalent of a Warren Commission, we need an immediate autopsy before the body is disposed of. What do you think of that?” Savage continued. 

“I just landed and I’m hearing it’s a big topic,” Trump responded. “But they say they found a pillow on his face, which is a pretty unusual place to find a pillow."

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    5 years ago
Which previous Trump promoted conspiracies turned out to be true?

cms5
Freshman Quiet
4  cms5    5 years ago

I'm surprised he waited this long...after all, conspiracy theories were tossed about regarding his campaign for years.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  Tessylo  replied to  cms5 @4    5 years ago

So you're fine with this whackjob of a 'president' spreading these conspiracy theories.  Got it.  

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5  luther28    5 years ago

Well it has always been his MO, long before his Presidency generally utilized as a means of drawing attention to himself, so in that regard not much has changed.

But as he seems to be a bit of dolt, I suppose one must put some of it off to being a gullible dim wit.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  luther28 @5    5 years ago

He is the president of the United States. This is not acceptable. Where are the responsible Republicans to condemn this and put a stop to it? 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5.1.1  luther28  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    5 years ago

John is that not a bit of an oxymoron, looking for a responsible politician is akin to Diogenes search for the honest man.

The GOP abdicated any oversight of their master when they signed on to his insanity, do not expect any help from them.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  luther28 @5    5 years ago

"A bit of a dolt"?

You're being very kind, Luther

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5.2.1  luther28  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    5 years ago

Atoning for past sins:)

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.2.2  bbl-1  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2    5 years ago

Luther is being too kind, actually.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  bbl-1 @5.2.2    5 years ago

He's a nice guy

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    5 years ago

Seems to me that applying standards of acceptability after an election is too little, too late.

Everyone knew who and what Donald Trump was before the election.  And if they didn't, Hillary Clinton expended extra effort spreading dirt around to 'educate' the voting public.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @6    5 years ago
Seems to me that applying standards of acceptability after an election is too little, too late.

LOL. Are you seriously arguing that since he won the election, no one can object to his behavior after he takes office? 

The president of the United States is spreading a conspiracy theory about a US ally.  That is fine with you because Trump won the '16 election?  Yikes. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    5 years ago

He's blaming Hillary again for the turd Rump 'president'  jrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

That's just whack.  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1    5 years ago
LOL. Are you seriously arguing that since he won the election, no one can object to his behavior after he takes office? 

Political umbrage appears to be highly selective.  Political umbrage is nothing more than a political ploy utilized by both Democrats and Republicans to foment doubt, division, and hostility toward each other.  Politicians obviously do not possess sufficient moral authority to be creditably offended by anything.  No one takes any of this noise seriously.

The president of the United States is spreading a conspiracy theory about a US ally.  That is fine with you because Trump won the '16 election?  Yikes.

One of the functions of government intelligence services is to meddle in elections (both domestic and foreign).  The outrage over foreign intelligence services meddling in US elections apply to all foreign countries, including allies.  British intelligence meddling in US elections is just as wrong as Russian intelligence meddling in the election.

The episode has revealed that both political parties are quite willing to buy 'opposition research' from foreign intelligence sources.  Does political campaigns paying for foreign meddling make the practice acceptable?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @6.1.2    5 years ago

It's not humanly impossible that British intelligence agents spied on Trump for Obama in 2016 , just as it's not humanly impossible that Trump had Russian hookers piss on a bed in Moscow. 

Trump is the president of the United States, not an Infowars host. He needs to speak factually, not repeat internet conspiracies. Why is that a concept you seem to be struggling with? 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @6.1.3    5 years ago
Trump is the president of the United States, not an Infowars host. He needs to speak factually, not repeat internet conspiracies. Why is that a concept you seem to be struggling with? 

That's a highly prejudicial stance.  Donald Trump enjoys the same rights and freedoms as does Rachel Maddow or Rush Limbaugh.  Being elected to Federal office does not abrogate those rights and freedoms.

The President of the United States is just another citizen.  Don't try to transform the President into a king, Pope, or some sort of moral authority.  There isn't any requirement for a President to be more factual than Rachel Maddow or Rush Limbaugh.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  bbl-1  replied to  Nerm_L @6.1.4    5 years ago

Do not mean to offend-------but your last paragraph clearly explains why autocratic governments have such ease in influencing the minds of Americans at the expense of our freedoms, way of life and The Constitution itself.  I could say more, but I'll just let that set right where it is.

You mentioned Maddow.  Please list her lies.  Then be kind enough to do the same for Limbaugh and Trump.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  Nerm_L @6.1.4    5 years ago

One more thing.  You said, "The president of the United States is just another citizen."

Fine.  Prove his taxes and businesses are legit.  And everything else about him too. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
7  Jack_TX    5 years ago

Why Is The President Of The United States Spreading Conspiracy Theories?

Because everybody else is, and he doesn't want to be left out.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8  bbl-1    5 years ago

the Trump is not spreading conspiracy theories.  the Trump is the conspiracy. 

Speaking of conspiracies.  Something is lurking just over the horizon.  A hint--Melania will leave him.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
8.1  Greg Jones  replied to  bbl-1 @8    5 years ago

Oh, we can hardly wait.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @8.1    5 years ago

Neither can she.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @8    5 years ago

They were arguing at white trash resort Maralago and during the turds latest unhinged rant to the press Melania looked like she was thinking, when will he shut the fuck up?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
8.2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Tessylo @8.2    5 years ago

Something like this?

original

CB
Professor Principal
8.2.3  CB  replied to  KDMichigan @8.2.2    5 years ago

Well now yeah! That is pretty unflattering and uncalled for; one can only imagine what a 'raccoon' would look like pulling faces!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.4  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

Would I see you and your family there?

Doesn't your wife have some work for you to do?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  KDMichigan @8.2.2    5 years ago

Terrible photoshop there.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.8  Tessylo  replied to    5 years ago

So nice that your wife's family was able to give you a job.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2.9  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @8.2.8    5 years ago

Nice work if you can get it eh MUVA?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10  The Magic 8 Ball    5 years ago
Doesn't the president of the United States have a responsibility to be level-headed, to be thoughtful, to be accurate? 

LOL, I did not get to keep my doctor. but anyway, here is the one question I have about all this stuff.

why would anyone online think they have better intell than the president of the united states?

regardless of who the president is, what he says, orange skin or not, the president knows more about what's actually going on than some online blogger... LOL

3 months into office trump said his campaign was spied on before he won the gop nomination and everyone laughed,   but now, years later, we all know he was right.

and today's kerfuffle?

trump has read the complete fisa applications and all relevant documentation without any redactions.  to think otherwise is foolish.

trump just gave the uk a heads up like he did to our intelligence agencies before he removed the top officials who spied on him.

and whats the UK gonna do? publicly say he was right?  LOL  no chance. but they heard him loud and clear.

trip to the uk still on? or trip called off?

cheers :)

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10    5 years ago
trip to the uk still on? or trip called off?

you can bet "how much" of that fisa application and background information trump eventually declassifies is a huge bargaining chip.

let's see how the uk acts.. do they revoke the invitation? or do they want to negotiate?

interesting times :)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10.2  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10    5 years ago

'I did not get to keep my doctor'

Did you get to keep your mental health professional?

'why would anyone online think they have better intell than the president of the united states?'

Why would anyone think that the turd 'president' listens to his intel agencies or anyone else?  

katrix
Sophomore Participates
10.3  katrix  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10    5 years ago
why would anyone online think they have better intell than the president of the united states?

Generally I'd agree with you.  With Trump, though, since he refuses to read and accepts what his huge gut and conspiracy theorist news tells him, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of us have better intel than him.  He is willfully ignorant.  For example, I clearly knew better than he did what the casualties were in Sri Lanka the other day.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10.3.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  katrix @10.3    5 years ago
I clearly knew better than he did what the casualties were in Sri Lanka the other day.

LOL, everyone fuks up now and again. did not obama claim he visited 57states in the usa? is that why he was such a fuked up president? at the time  I figured it was just a mistake and he meant 57 stops along the way. was I wrong to give him the benefit of doubt there? people mis-speak and mis-type all the time.  cut em some slack. especially people as busy as a president.

we all fuk up, but regardless how many times I might type the wrong word it will never mean anyone on this site can beat me in a game of chess.   making that connection and assumption would be silly.

so if you want to write someone off because of a tweet? or other mistakes?       that will not change what's coming. only delay you seeing it coming.

have you read the art of war? it is not a bad thing to have your enemies think you are stupid.  it actually pays huge dividends.

I've learned thru the years to pretty much ignore peoples words and just watch their actions. it takes patience but I have time.

grandma always said, ignore the lips, watch the feet.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10    5 years ago
LOL, I did not get to keep my doctor. but anyway, here is the one question I have about all this stuff.

regardless of who the president is, what he says, orange skin or not, the president knows more about what's actually going on than some online blogger... LOL

Let's belabor the obvious. Trump CREDITS the blogger as the source of the information, so we can assume that the blogger "knows" more than Trump does on this topic.  Oh, one more thing , ITS A CONSPIRACY THEORY.  If we go by past performance, Trump gets much of his information from tv and twitter. Very little of what he talks about publicly seems to come from intelligence services. 

He got this story from a discredited blogger and blasted it out on his twitter. 

Do you have anything else to "add" to this discussion ? , because that one didnt work. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10.4.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JohnRussell @10.4    5 years ago
Let's belabor the obvious. Trump CREDITS the blogger as the source of the information,

sorry bud,  trump did not say that was " his" source of information.

he pointed out "another source of information that is telling it like it is also. and remarking that more will be saying the same thing soon enough. the truth always comes out in the end.

michael rogers told trump about the coup and that he was being spied on by obamas admin weeks after the election.    

NSA Head Meets With Trump Team But Doesn't Give Obama A Heads Up   

rogers told on obama... LOL

what happens after michael rogers goes to trump tower?

funny thing about the FISA court? it works on anyone. 

them illegally spying on trump opened the door to trump legally spying on them for the last 2yrs and running.

the NSA and the military back trump, this is why the coup failed, and why those responsible are in deep shit.

didja know the military can investigate things related to "national security" on its own without telling anyone?  a coup attempt using foreign nationals with ties to russia?   military intelligence has an open door, and the nsa at their disposal.   = game over.

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    5 years ago

A president aspires to lead a great people, and most of all to let the people cause in him or her an imminent stirring to meet destiny at its end; to be fit for pomp and circumstance; to merit 'Hail To The Chief'; to be a pleasant memory (and not a detested one) after the power, influence, and status have diminished. How can a 'chump' be level-headed. Or taken seriously?

President Donald Trump, if he was given the respect he properly deserves for that which he dishes out on a daily basis—would be publicly laughed at or proverbially it would be required to spit after the mention of his name.

This dishonest man, President 'Do as I say and not as I do,' is lugging around nuclear codes set to his state of mind, that mind being chumpishly imbecilic.

Am I lying on President Trump? Of course not!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12  dave-2693993    5 years ago

Probably done for the same reason, we are told somebody did something.

At least it is acceptable to shine the light on one turd.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
13  Sean Treacy    5 years ago

Why do you think the British government is denying claims that were never made?

No claim has been made that they "wire tapped" Trump.

Nor that GCHQ did thy spying..

The allegation is that British intelligence agents were used to try and set up Trump's campaign with false claims of Russia having Clinton's emails. (see Papadapolous)  Seems like a non-denial, denial. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
14  It Is ME    5 years ago

"Why Is The President Of The United States Spreading Conspiracy Theories ? 

Tits for tat I suppose ?

Our actual "Lawmakers" find it to be "Fun Times" ! Why can't Mr. Trump ? Isn't he supposed to be "Representing" what Congress and the People do and want ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @14    5 years ago

So your argument is that accusing our closest historical ally of misconduct is acceptable because it is "fun". 

Please never run for office or any other position of responsibility. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
14.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @14.1    5 years ago
So your argument is that accusing our closest historical ally of misconduct

Which "Closest Ally" would that be ?

By the By....which "Country" is "ALL Pure" again ?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
14.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  It Is ME @14.1.1    5 years ago

This will be my last comment to you on this seed because all you do is go around in circles in an effort to take the topic off topic. 

Trump mentions which ally it is in his tweet. You might want to look at it before you comment on it. 

I doubt if any country is "all pure". What does that have to do with the president of the United States repeating conspiracy theories? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
14.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @14.1.2    5 years ago
This will be my last comment to you on this seed because all you do is go around in circles

I asked a "Specific" question, and your answer is :

"Trump mentions which ally it is in his tweet."

Whom is it doing the "Circle JERK" thingy again ? jrSmiley_90_smiley_image.gif

"I doubt if any country is "all pure".

You doubt ? jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Why aren't you sure ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif