╌>

Qanta Ahmed: After Poway, Muslims, Christians, Jews must unite to fight perfect storm of modern anti-Semitism

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  5 years ago  •  32 comments

Qanta Ahmed: After Poway, Muslims, Christians, Jews must unite to fight perfect storm of modern anti-Semitism
As an American and as a Muslim, I refuse to tolerate this and I call on all who are empowered to join in the fight against the gathering storm of contemporary anti-Semitism.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Qanta Ahmed, Fox News, May 1 2019

Rabbi at Chabad of Poway who was shot in the hand. (William La Jeunesse reports.)

Seventy-five years have passed since the   Holocaust . Saturday afternoon in Poway, California, America was once again reminded that contemporary anti-Semitism is on the rise.

On the final day of   Passover , one of the most important Jewish holidays and the one marking the Jews’ survival of ancient Egypt’s genocidal persecution of the earliest Jews led by the Prophet Moses, an American synagogue congregation was forever marked by the murder of a Jewish woman (who gave her life to save her rabbi) and the maiming of other Jewish people while in worship.

The events at the Poway Chabad synagogue underline that even religiously pluralist America is also the site of so much anti-Semitism today.

Expressions of anti-Semitism have increased around the world.  We just never expected them here.

Anti-Semitism continues to be widespread throughout the Arab and Muslim world, propagated by Islamism, the political totalitarian imposter of Islam. Anti-Semitism has a very long history, described by acclaimed scholar Robert Wistrich as “the longest hatred,” referring to anti-Semitism’s inception over 2000 years ago.

Its causes, context, and manifestation constantly evolve. Expression of anti-Semitism is molded by local political, religious, economic, and social climates.

In an email correspondence with me hours after the shooting at the Poway Chabad Synagogue, Christian theologian and Executive Director of the USC Shoah Foundation, Dr. Stephen Smith, who was in San Diego at the time, described the Poway shooter as a 'Christian killing Jews.' That was based on the killer’s open letter, which was very clear about his motivation.

Smith observed the perpetrator’s open letter, referencing verses from the Bible, detailed an anti-Semitism derived from centuries of West European Christian anti-Semitism, clearly identifying his first motivation as “Christian” and his second as “white heritage” – chilling, especially given the shooter appears to have no formal affiliation as a white supremacist or neo-Nazi.

The statistics today are devastating.

Hate crimes against Jews in America rose by more than a third and accounted for 58 percent of all religion-based hate crimes, according to 2018 data released by the FBI  – an egregious burden on America’s Jews, who form only 1.4 percent of America’s population.

At the same time, awareness of the Holocaust - the greatest crime against humanity that led to the systematic genocide of more than six million Jews by Nazi Germany - is falling. The active denial or willful or otherwise ignorance of history fuels contemporary anti-Semitism on both sides of the Atlantic.

A recent poll of more than 2,000 people in the United Kingdom for the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust reveals that 45 percent were unaware of how many people were killed in the Holocaust, and nearly 20 percent said the number was exaggerated.

An earlier study in the U.S. shows that two-thirds of those surveyed between the ages of 18 and 34, did not know what Auschwitz was. Forty percent of all Americans reported being unaware of the Holocaust.

I am a member of the Shoah Foundation, and American Jews have privately disclosed to me that they are fearful to report crimes, and they notice many incidents of hate go unreported to the police, even in New York City.

Anti-Semitic hate crimes against America’s Jews are therefore underestimated.

With the fear of reporting hate crimes and bias incidents against Jews in America and the fading memories of the Holocaust, criticism of Israel has mounted while inhibitions against endorsing anti-Semitic views have weakened.

In a particularly perverse development, social justice movements claiming to advocate for Palestinians have penetrated America’s university and college campuses. The Boycott Divestment Sanctions (BDS) movement claims to advocate for Palestinians, while it agitates for the unrestricted, generational right of return of Palestinians, which would result in the eradication of the Jewish State. Its core founding documents are bent on the destruction of the State of Israel through the full right of return.

As the memories of the Holocaust fade and criticism of Israel has mounted, many inhibitions have weakened. Anti-Semitism has a global reach with a universal appeal across the political spectrum. Anti-Semitism is expressed as hate speech, lethal violence (and other violence) and the denial,  de-legitimization, and demonization of Israel.

This modern form of anti-Semitism is the “new anti-Semitism.” Scholar Deborah Lipstadt terms contemporary anti-Semitism a  "perfect storm," referring to anti-Semitism coming from the political left, anti-Semitism coming from the political right and anti-Semitism coming from Muslim Islamist ideologues, acolytes, and sympathizers.

Increasingly, we are seeing Islamist anti-Semitism find a home amid the political left, greatly empowering its impact and the impact of anti-Zionist leftist anti-Semitism, particularly in the United States and Britain.

This is what we have seen within Britain’s Labor Party under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn and what we are seeing already in America’s Democratic Party under Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator Chuck Schumer.

When presidential candidate Bernie Sanders comes to the defense of Congresswoman Ilhan Omar’s blatantly anti-Semitic remarks (she has openly dehumanized Jews, delegitimized Israel and demonized American Jewry and American-Israel relationships), he silences critics, including dissenting Muslims, with the radioactive charge of a fictional Islamophobia.

In doing so, he is empowering a bigoted  Islamist anti-Semitism, which has found an astonishing firmament in the U.S. Congress amid Rep. Ilhan Omar, Rep. Rashida Tlaib and Rep. Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez.

While coming to the defense of a neo-Nazi sympathizer in Congress would be unthinkable, defending an Islamist sympathizing anti-Semite is now lauded as an act of courage.

Certainly, Israel, like all democracies, is subject to legitimate critique, whether from its domestic population or the international community. But too often condemnation of Israel – as the Democratic far left now pursues through Omar and Tlaib - goes beyond the pale into a denigration and demonization that constitutes anti-Semitism.

Further, while many nations struggle with human rights violations, including the United States itself, their singling out of Israel, while remaining silent on gross offenders including China, North Korea Saudi Arabia and Pakistan among the most frequent and large scale offenders of freedom of religion and expression in the world - reveals an obsessive and hate-driven focus on Israel and a deceitful double standard that forms a ‘political mask’ for a socially approved anti-Semitism.

Finally, supporting the eradication of Israel, denying its right to exist by subscribing to the Boycott Divestment Sanctions movement is patent delegitimization. (Both Tlaib and Omar have endorsed the boycott movement ).

Facing this perfect storm of contemporary anti-Semitism is not easy, but decent people everywhere can unite. We can unite to repudiate the demonization of America’s Jewish population which is a mere 1.4 percent of the 320 million who call America home.

We can vote out politicians who pander to or engage in anti-Semitism, and shame politicians who protect anti-Semitism using the political and judicial shield of Islamophobia.

We can demand from our legislators that social media platforms everywhere be prosecuted for hosting and propagating anti-Semitic screeds. Certainly, anti-Semitism is tolerated under the privileges of Free Speech but we do not have to provide anti-Semitism a megaphone and an amplifier. Social media executives who refuse to take down anti-Semitic content must face heavy penalties. In the Rwandan genocide, media executives broadcasting hate speech were held culpable and imprisoned. We must bring the same standard to the propagation of anti-Semitism- which is always lethally genocidal in intent- here in the United States.

We must also pass laws to mandate Holocaust education in every school in the United States, so that denial and ignorance of genocidal anti-Semitism can be dismantled.

All who sympathize with anti-Semitism whether Muslim Brotherhood acolytes, Islamist sympathizers or the anti-Zionist, anti-Israeli far left who are also apologists for Islamists- bear a collective responsibility in the events in Poway.

Together they have normalized anti-Semitism through the dehumanization and demonization of Jews and empowered acts of lethal hatred.

As an American and as a Muslim, I refuse to tolerate this and I call on all who are empowered to join in the fight against the gathering storm of contemporary anti-Semitism.

Qanta A. Ahmed, M.D., is  a councilor at the USC Shoah Foundation and member of the Council on Foreign Relations. She is also an associate professor of medicine at the State University of New York.

BUZZ NOTE:  IMO the image of the Rabbi is misleading, as this is an op/ed by Dr. Qanta A. Ahmed.  However, there is a video of the Rabbi speaking which I cannot open, so to see/hear it please click the "SEEDED CONTENT" link at the top of the page.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago
"All who sympathize with anti-Semitism whether Muslim Brotherhood acolytes, Islamist sympathizers or the anti-Zionist, anti-Israeli far left who are also apologists for Islamists - bear a collective responsibility in the events in Poway."

Included with those are the anti-Zionist Jewish organizations such as J-Street, B'Tselem, and others who have no concern if Israel is wiped off the face of the Earth.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    5 years ago

JStreet is only a liberal arm of Jewish people. Just like AIPAC is a conservative faction.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @1.1    5 years ago

Not just liberal, but pro-Palestinian. 

AIPAC is made up of Jews of all movements of Judaism that are supportive of Israel's continued existence. Do you think a Jew has to be a conservative to consider Israel to be a homeland for the Jews, and an important ally of the USA?  "The biggest American aircraft carrier in the world and not requiring one American serviceman" (Alexander Haig)

Where do you get your information about Israel, Judaism and Jews?  New York Times? Mondoweis? Al Jazeera? Stormfront? Veterans Today?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago
Not just liberal, but pro-Palestinian

Bullshit. Where do you get your news in an internet censored country?

Must be nice to be an expat from Canada, living in China yet you know more about Jewish life in the US than an actual citizen.

Then ask about my sources. Laughable.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.1    5 years ago
Israel to be a homeland for the Jews

By the way, the Muslim people consider Israel to be their homeland, as do the Christians.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @1.1.2    5 years ago

If China censored all the internet, I wouldn't be here on NT, would I?  Some sources may be censored, like Facebook, google, Twitter, but I get to read most American news sources besides sources from around the world.

Well, it's not as if I've never been to the USA. Since I was a teenager I've travelled through the USA from Hawaii and California to Massachusetts, New York and down the coast to Florida - where, by the way I shared ownership of a golf condominium with my brother for a  number of years and spent lots of winters there, and many States in between.  And as for Jewish life in the US I think I know a lot more about it than you (judging from the comments I've seen you posting over the past few days) because of the time I've spent OVER MY LIFETIME with a lot of American Jews. Some of my information comes from my son who is the Senior Rabbi of a 1000 family member congregation in Wisconsin - that IS in the USA isn't it?  He DOES have his finger on what's going on there these days, maybe even a little more than you.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    5 years ago

More than me? So a so called Rabbi is more knowledgeable?

My Grandfather was a Methodist minister. Does that make him more knowledgeable than you?

My brother is married into a Jewish family. Quite a large one in Birmingham.

I am really getting sick of the put downs you always put forth. If you want to act like an adult and not some cult follower, hit me up. 

Otherwise, I will still continue to call out fucking bullshit when I see it.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @1.1.3    5 years ago

HOMELAND FOR THE JEWS

" Balfour  Declaration , (November 2, 1917), statement of British support for “the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people.” "

"The concept of a National Jewish Home in Palestine as set forth in the Balfour Declaration was approved by the  League  of  Nations  Council on July 24, 1922, and endorsed by a joint resolution of the United States Congress on June 30, 1922. The "Mandate for Palestine" was issued by the  League  of  Nations ."

https:// israel forever.org/state/Mandate_for_Palestine_Jewish_State

UN Partition was to create a Homeland for the Jews and a separate area for the Arabs. The Jews celebrated and accepted it, BUT THE ARABS DID NOT AND THE SURROUNDING ARAB STATES ATTACKED.

Do I really need a link for that? - just google it.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.6    5 years ago

And what point are you trying to make with that?

That they displaced Arab people from their homes?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @1.1.5    5 years ago

I never put you down - all I've tried to do is correct the misconceptions in your comments, unsuccessfully unfortunately.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.8    5 years ago

Bullshit again. You constantly put me down and say that I have no idea of what is going on.

Case in point this comment I am responding to.

My comments are only misconceptions in your mind. Tell me where I lied about anything.

Or where I am wrong...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.10  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @1.1.9    5 years ago

I NEVER CALLED YOU A LIAR -  I RESENT THAT INSINUATION - and that's probably just another misconception as well.  All I have done is disagreed with some of the things you have posted and posted what I thought was correct. I've spent two days pointing out where I think you were wrong and posted what I think is right WITH LINKED BACKUP.  Judging from the tone of your comments I assume you never bothered to read a lot of it, and if you still feel that you're right, don't get so upset about it.  There are people who still think the world is flat. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.10    5 years ago

[Removed]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @1.1.2    5 years ago
living in China yet you know more about Jewish life in the US than an actual citizen.

Well, I'm living in the US and I can attest to the anti-Semitism which has become rampant among the far left!

luther28
Sophomore Silent
1.1.13  luther28  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.12    5 years ago
Well, I'm living in the US and I can attest to the anti-Semitism which has become rampant among the far left

Sorry Vic, anti-Semitism knows no politics nor reason. It has reared its ugly head again due to some politicians ginning it up at the moment.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

An excellent piece made more powerful being said by a Muslim woman. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    5 years ago

She is an anti-Islamist Muslim reformer, and added to my list of Muslim heroes.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago

Isn't that a double negative? Sounds like you are saying she is an ex Muslim.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago

I remember seeding another article from her a couple weeks or so ago.  She’s right on in both articles.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @2.1.1    5 years ago

"Islamism is a concept whose meaning has been debated in both public and academic contexts. The term can refer to diverse forms of social and political activism advocating that public and political life should be guided by Islamic principles or more specifically to movements which call for full implementation of sharia."

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago

Thanks for seeding this, Buzz. Dr. Ahmed and Dr. Jasser are at the top of my list of anti-Islamist Muslim reformers. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.4    5 years ago

Fortunately there are many more.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    5 years ago

You used quotation marks - who are you quoting?

Somehow I don't think freedom-loving Americans would be too happy with Sharia.  Islamists want the world to be governed by Sharia. 

th?id=OIP.cH3HoCRxbqq_f2Az7srn3QHaFJ&w=227&h=160&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.57&pid=1.7

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.6    5 years ago

I copied/pasted the quote and found it in the first paragraph of this Wikipedia article:

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1    5 years ago

Buzz, I do think that you are a bit out of touch with what is going on in the US. I am not saying that anti Semitism isn't up, but it is up from everything.... left, right and radical Muslims. But to say that American Jews are OK with that is not correct. They are not and have been trying to deal with it on many levels. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.9  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.8    5 years ago
"But to say that American Jews are OK with that is not correct."

I just read over everything I said, and I'm sorry, Perrie, but will you please point out to me where I said that

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.9    5 years ago

I amended my comment.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.10    5 years ago

Thank you, so I amended mine.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    5 years ago

I join all in this discussion thread who support Dr. Qanta A. Amed in her efforts to speak out against terrorist acts of murder, and for a coalition of Muslim and Jewish among other peoples who want the following. Violence replaced by harmony, hatred giving way to fellowship, bigotry falling before acceptance and coexistence conquering conflict. 

All of us, whether by nature and/or choice religious, spiritual and/or humanitarian know we are all better off holding hands than making fists.

We are at our best when we find ways to get along not in spite of, rather because of the unique ways we approach life. 

P&AB.

Enoch.      

luther28
Sophomore Silent
4  luther28    5 years ago

After Poway, Muslims, Christians, Jews must unite to fight perfect storm of modern anti-Semitism

Why did they have to wait until now?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

It's 10 p.m. where I am - I'm tired and since I think this article may require constant moderating I'll have to lock it for (my) night. It will be unlocked about after the time most of you eat dinner tonight.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Okay, open again. Waiting for the expected attacks.