╌>

The Real Democratic Agenda

Category:  Op/Ed

Via:  make-america-great-again  •  5 years ago  •  44 comments

The Real Democratic Agenda
Democrats have a problem. The base wants to impeach President Trump, ASAP, but the public does not. Indeed, Trump's approval rating is the highest it’s been in the Gallup survey, right around Obama's at this point in his term. The brute facts of public opinion suggest that the impeachment of Trump would look more like Bill Clinton's trial than Richard Nixon's. Not only would Trump remain in office; the backlash might deprive the Democrats of their 17-seat House majority.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

And you thought Democrats won the House out of fear Republicans would drop coverage of preexisting conditions. That they wanted to spend this Congress addressing the cost of prescription drugs, building roads and bridges, resolving the legal status of DACA recipients, expanding gun background checks. Don't be silly! Rashida Tlaib let spill the real Democratic agenda back in January, when she said they were going to "impeach the motherf—er."

Democrats have a problem. The base wants to impeach President Trump, ASAP, but the public does not. Indeed, Trump's approval rating is the highest it’s been in the Gallup survey , right around Obama's at this point in his term. The brute facts of public opinion suggest that the impeachment of Trump would look more like Bill Clinton's trial than Richard Nixon's. Not only would Trump remain in office; the backlash might deprive the Democrats of their 17-seat House majority.

For months, Nancy Pelosi's solution has been to walk right up to the line of impeachment without actually crossing it. Unleash committee chairmen to fire their subpoena cannons in every direction. Make unrealistic demands of Attorney General Barr. Have Swalwell and Lieu and the rest of the cable gang keep alive the conspiracy theory that the Trump campaign was in criminal cahoots with Russia. Drag out the process into next year, when a weakened and bedraggled Trump faces the eventual Democratic nominee. That way Pelosi gets the political benefits of impeachment without the costs.

It's not working. Pelosi's rhetoric has moved in the direction of Rashida's (minus the profanity). She's gone from saying Trump isn't worth impeachment, to saying Trump is goading the Democrats into impeachment, to saying Trump is "self-impeaching," if that's even a thing. She jokes about the jail cell in the basement of Congress, her Judiciary Committee has found Barr in contempt, and she shares Jerry Nadler's hysterical opinion that the United States is in the midst of a constitutional crisis because he can't read the grand jury information of a report you can download for free . On the other side of the building, Chuck Schumer is accusing Mitch McConnell of aiding and abetting a crime that Robert Mueller could not bring himself to say actually happened.

What changed? President Trump's preference for confrontation over consensus is part of the reason, but only a part. Congress and the president fight all the time. The reality is that impeachment talk is the only thing holding the Democrats together. Pelosi's heralded agenda is a flop. Her party is divided on health care, on immigration, on abortion. Whatever legislation she does pass is destined to meet the Grim Reaper in the Senate. The two-dozen 2020 candidates are uninspiring. There's no war to defund. And the economic headlines are dynamite.

Legal warfare against Trump obscures these weaknesses. Doesn't matter if no voter brings up Mueller outside the Beltway. Without teasing impeachment, no one would care about Democrats inside the Beltway. Two of three cable news channels are desperate for Trump scandals, real or imagined. The Democrats might as well give it to them. Or at least pretend to.

In recent weeks the Democrats have turned into a bizarre version of the caricature of Trump they regularly denounce. They lambaste Trump for indulging in conspiracy theories, but the Russia investigation has become their Benghazi, a scandal too complicated and not quite substantive enough to inflame the public imagination. They went after Trump for the "lock her up" chants at his rallies, but flirt with jailing both the attorney general and secretary of the Treasury, passed a New York state law directed at a single individual (forbidden in the Constitution as a bill of attainder), and speculate endlessly about how the president might one day end up behind bars. Pelosi says she worries Trump might not accept a loss in 2020 as Hillary Clinton says the election was stolen from her and the entire Democratic party indulges in the ludicrous fantasy that Stacey Abrams is the legitimate governor of a state she lost by more than 50,000 votes amidst record minority turnout.

This is not a serious party. It has abandoned policy for litigation, and common sense for fantasies of Medicare for All, Green New Deals, abortion after birth, and slavery reparations. The Democrats assume impeachment will be Trump's Watergate. It may well turn out to be their Waterloo.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

“The reality is that impeachment talk is the only thing holding the Democrats together. Pelosi's heralded agenda is a flop. Her party is divided on health care, on immigration, on abortion. Whatever legislation she does pass is destined to meet the Grim Reaper in the Senate. The two-dozen 2020 candidates are uninspiring. There's no war to defund. And the economic headlines are dynamite.

Legal warfare against Trump obscures these weaknesses. Doesn't matter if no voter brings up Mueller outside the Beltway. Without teasing impeachment, no one would care about Democrats inside the Beltway. Two of three cable news channels are desperate for Trump scandals, real or imagined. The Democrats might as well give it to them. Or at least pretend to.

In recent weeks the Democrats have turned into a bizarre version of the caricature of Trump they regularly denounce. They lambaste Trump for indulging in conspiracy theories, but the Russia investigation has become their Benghazi, a scandal too complicated and not quite substantive enough to inflame the public imagination. They went after Trump for the "lock her up" chants at his rallies, but flirt with jailing both the attorney general and secretary of the Treasury, passed a New York state law directed at a single individual (forbidden in the Constitution as a bill of attainder), and speculate endlessly about how the president might one day end up behind bars. Pelosi says she worries Trump might not accept a loss in 2020 as Hillary Clinton says the election was stolen from her and the entire Democratic party indulges in the ludicrous fantasy that Stacey Abrams is the legitimate governor of a state she lost by more than 50,000 votes amidst record minority turnout.”

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  seeder  XXJefferson51    5 years ago

Their agenda is that of being a sore loser and trying to reverse their loss of the 2016 election by all means possible no matter how shady.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    5 years ago
Their agenda is that of being a sore loser

That's not it at all. It's not losing that's an issue, we've gone back and forth between Democrat and Republican Presidents for over a hundred years now. It's that in 2016 we had the choice between a distasteful but competent political ham sandwich and an incompetent shit sandwich, and through the electoral college the shit sandwich was stuffed in our collective mouths. Now the majority are disgusted with the shit sandwich we're being force fed and grimace every time we have to chew on another turd nugget coming from the white house which seem almost daily, but there is a minority who apparently love shit sandwiches almost as much as they love forcing those who they felt looked down on them, the "coastal elites", to eat shit. These folk are giddy with delight at Trump as are the white supremacists, KKK and wanna-be Nazi's and they all collectively make up Trump's solid immovable 37%.

What you mistake for being a "sore loser" is simply the left attempting to spit the Trump turd out of their mouths. It has nothing to do with Hillary or 2016, it has everything to do with Donald Trump being a clear and present danger to the United States.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    5 years ago

And our intent in Heartland America is to cram that sandwich down the throats of the bi coastal ivory tower liberal elites for four more years as we mock their condescending arrogance toward middle America working and middle class traditional values people.  Maybe you can beat us by 5 million votes in California next time and still lose.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.1    5 years ago
And our intent in Heartland America is to cram that sandwich down the throats of the bi coastal ivory tower liberal elites for four more years as we mock their condescending arrogance toward middle America working and middle class traditional values people.

Do you not get the meaning of irony. What you wrote is so utterly condescending and arrogant. Furthermore, it goes to prove you know nothing about either coast since both have loads of middle class and working Americans. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    5 years ago
It has nothing to do with Hillary or 2016

BS! 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.2    5 years ago

And dismayed deserved every word of it after comparing me and other  Trump voters/ current supporters to the kkk and nazis.  I note that you were not offended enough by those comments  to write a response.  You didn’t mention that I am a resident of the west coast of the bi coastal areas in the rural portion of California. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.5    5 years ago
after comparing me and other  Trump voters/ current supporters to the kkk and nazis.

I did no such thing. I simply stated the fact that some are "giddy with delight at Trump as are the white supremacists, KKK and wanna-be Nazi's and they all collectively make up Trump's solid immovable 37%."

So you might be giddy with delight, but I didn't call or compare you to Nazi's or the KKK, I just pointed out that they are part of Trumps base and have vocally supported him and his anti-immigration policies. So I am not in any way comparing you to a Nazi, I'm just pointing out some of the things you apparently share in common like support of Donald Trump and his anti-Immigrant, anti-Islam, anti-lgtbq, anti-diversity agenda.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.6    5 years ago

I am neither anti immigrant as I support adding more legal immigrants than we do now and allowing a guest worker program for temporary visitors to do work others don’t for three years of every five. I also support legalizing with permanent resident alien status all the illegals presently here who have committed no other crimes, are working or going to school, and learning English once the wall is completed to our satisfaction.  I’m not anti Islam either as I’ve seeded and mentioned a number of Muslim reformers I like.  I’m not anti LGB either as I don’t oppose them getting together or having the same insurance and hospital visitation rights as traditional married one man one woman couples get.  I also don’t oppose them adopting children as long as their unions don’t cause others to be forced to act against their faith and their adoption doesn’t coerce a faith based agency to act against its beliefs.  As for diversity I’m all for America being a giant melting pot where people come here from all over the world to become Americans and be out of many one, one nation under God, one constitution, one language. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  arkpdx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1.6    5 years ago
his anti-immigration policies.

You forgot the word "illegal" between anti and immigration. I why do you support those who openly break the law? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    5 years ago

You are correct.

The left hasn't gotten over 2016--no matter some claims to the contrary.

The Mueller Report was supposed to give the Dems all the ammunition for impeachment they would ever need, but where are the articles of impeachment?

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

The base wants to impeach President Trump, ASAP, but the public does not

Though I myself am not a Democrat, as an objective observer I must say that unlike the GOP the Dems do not allow their  extremists to dictate the agenda. They are a part of it.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  luther28 @3    5 years ago

Oh, I must disagree, sir.

It is the far left lunatic fringe that is controlling the democrat party right now, it is so painfully obvious. The pragmatic, common sense Democrats who have both feet on the ground, instead of chasing rainbows and unicorns, have been shoved aside in this insane quest to get rid of Trump. As was stated in the article....

This is not a serious party. It has abandoned policy for litigation, and common sense for fantasies of Medicare for All, Green New Deals, abortion after birth, and slavery reparations. The Democrats assume impeachment will be Trump's Watergate. It may well turn out to be their Waterloo.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  luther28 @3    5 years ago

The vast majority of the democrat party is made up of extremists.  The democrat party has moved much further left that the GOP has moved to the right.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2    5 years ago

Uh, no. Joe Biden is leading in every poll concerning the Democratic candidates for president. Anew poll in South Carolina shows him 30 pts ahead of everyone else. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3.2.3  luther28  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2    5 years ago

Bullshit

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3.2.4  luther28  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2    5 years ago

Well that is, absurd.

Your own Ronald Reagan would not piss on todays GOP if it were on fire.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.2    5 years ago

it’s sleepy 😴 creepy Joe now per our great 👍 President.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.6  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.5    5 years ago

Don't you agree it is childish for our president to give stupid nicknames to people?

Don't those nicknames only appeal to low information dumbasses who are basically conservative versions of Beavis and Butthead ?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.2.7  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.6    5 years ago

I’ll keep that in mind if Biden wins the nomination. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3  JohnRussell  replied to  luther28 @3    5 years ago

Donald Trump is completely unfit to be president of the United States. In a sane political climate he would have been impeached already.  However, sanity has left the building. There is a "debate" among congressional Democrats whether their duty to carry out a constitutional function , overseeing the executive branch, is more , or less, important than positioning themselves for the 2020 elections. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3    5 years ago
In a sane political climate he would have been impeached already. However, sanity has left the building.

So nice to see you admit that the Democrats are crazy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3    5 years ago
There is a "debate" among congressional Democrats whether their duty to carry out a constitutional function , overseeing the executive branch, is more , or less, important than positioning themselves for the 2020 elections.

And for so long you have been touting poll after poll after poll after poll supposedly showing how unfit for office Trump is to Americans, so what EXACTLY are Dems "positioning" themselves for?

According to all the stuff you've written, impeachment is supposedly what Americans largely want, so why wouldn't Dems run with that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.3.4  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @3.3.2    5 years ago

I'm not going to cite specifics for people who are not interested.

He has failed to uphold his duties as president of the United States.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3.3.5  luther28  replied to  XDm9mm @3.3.2    5 years ago

I'll take obstruction of justice for 1000.00 Alex.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.3.4    5 years ago
I'm not going to cite specifics for people who are not interested.
He has failed to uphold his duties as president of the United States.

Common sense dictates he wouldn't ask if he wasn't interested.

What duties has Trump failed to perform in your mind?

lib50
Professor Silent
3.3.7  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.6    5 years ago
What duties has Trump failed to perform in your mind?

His duty is for to the USA, but Trump's ONLY concern is for Trump.  He is not protecting us from the Russian and other foreign hacking going on right now, to protect us next year, nor doing anything about the previous ones.  He is not working most of the time, he's on 'executive time', meaning Fox and other rightwing media, twitter and not getting reports and not taking the time to be fully briefed.  He did work with Russia to benefit his campaign in 2016 and has openly obstructed the investigations at every turn.  He lies about literally everything and anything, so the world doesn't even trust our word.  He is being manipulated by Bibi and MBS, Kim and Putin for their own gains, getting us into wars (one is coming up the pike as we speak).  Congress's job is to oversee the executive branch and the dems are the only ones willing to do it.  Their hearings will eventually yield information despite Trump/gop efforts to the contrary.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @3.3.7    5 years ago
He is not protecting us from the Russian and other foreign hacking going on right now, to protect us next year, nor doing anything about the previous ones.

https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/ukrainerussia

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/apr/06/trump-russia-sanctions-election...

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.3.9  arkpdx  replied to  lib50 @3.3.7    5 years ago
He is not protecting us from the Russian and other foreign hacking going on right now, to protect us next year, nor doing anything about the previous ones. 

But you will give Obama a pass for doing nothing to stop it even though he knew of it in 2015.

He did work with Russia to benefit his campaign in 2016 and has openly obstructed the investigations at every turn

After two years investigating the Mueller report says he didn't. 

getting us into wars

What war has he gotten us into in the last two plus years? I missed them! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.12  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @3.3.10    5 years ago
All you know is Trump is guilty of 'something', but you don't have a fucking clue as to what it might be, but it's something because you wish it to be so.

The "I Hate Trump" train requires no thought, facts, common sense, or reason.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.14  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @3.3.13    5 years ago
Again, EVIDENCE of those insane claims. EVIDENCE.

Proof isn't required to join the insane I Hate Trump club.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.15  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.6    5 years ago

Careful...questioning a liberal might get you accused of becoming a sea lion 🦁! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.3.16  bugsy  replied to  lib50 @3.3.7    5 years ago

Well, that was a whole lotta "I hate Trump, but can only use feelings to express why". Nothing in your post was specific, but liberal talking points that piss the base off because they have nothing else.

If that same BS keeps up, and it probably will, Trump will be easily reelected in 2020.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.17  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @3.3.16    5 years ago

The "I Hate Trump" folks sure are emotional creatures, aren't they?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.3.18  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.17    5 years ago

Yep they are. All the while going off about what haters those on the right are. It would be funny if it was not so pathetic...jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3.3.19  luther28  replied to  XDm9mm @3.3.11    5 years ago

Well I would say that attempting to get his minions to lie for starters and here are a few more notions:

Did the Mueller report find Trump obstructed justice? I asked 12 legal ...

Apr 20, 2019 - Does the Mueller report exonerate Trump ? ... It also outlines 10 potential instances of obstruction of justice that suggest, at the very least, that ...
I suppose it comes down to whose lens we are looking through, to be quite honest the whole thing is not only exhausting, but it has become counterproductive at this juncture.
I may be in the minority, but at this point I am willing to let 2020 decide.

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.3.20  bugsy  replied to  luther28 @3.3.19    5 years ago

Then start the impeachment proceedings already. Get it over with. We are tired of hearing "one day Mueller's gonna....."

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3.21  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bugsy @3.3.20    5 years ago

jrSmiley_11_smiley_image.gif  Please bring on the impeachment debate and vote!  We can’t wait.  Just do it already?