╌>

Alex Trebek shares ‘mind-boggling’ news about cancer battle

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  34 comments

Alex Trebek shares ‘mind-boggling’ news about cancer battle
Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek has some good news in his battle with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, a diagnosis he shared with fans back in March. “Some of the tumors have already shrunk by more than 50 percent,” he told People Magazine.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

It's been slightly over 2 years since my mother in law died of this awful disease after beating it for 5 years. I am curious as to his treatment and if it will be available to others. 

I hope so.

Or maybe it's mind over matter?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

He said it was chemo, and from his apparent attitude, obviously very positive thinking.  And don't forget, although he moved to the USA and I think became an American citizen, he originally was a Canadian.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    5 years ago

So Buzz, are you saying that moving to the USA helps you with your cancer or gives it to you, LOL!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.1    5 years ago

You guess.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Mrs. Gee and I were just commenting last night on how good he looks.  He hasn't even lost his hair.  BTW  How about that James.  He's at about 2.3 million now and just seems unstoppable.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  SteevieGee @1.2    5 years ago
BTW  How about that James.  He's at about 2.3 million now and just seems unstoppable.

He is amazing. The first person to look at the board and think out of the box. Removing all the highest point questions first was brilliant and he has to be, too. 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Sunshine  replied to    5 years ago

Losing your hair is more difficult than most think. 

Thank goodness for wigs and hairpieces.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
Or maybe it's mind over matter?

I believe that it's a combination of medical science, positive thinking, and prayer ... all of which Trebek has in his life.

Here's what Dr. Nicole Saphier said about cancer, in general, and Alex Trebek in particular ...

CB
Professor Principal
1.3.1  CB  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.3    5 years ago

Jasper, I don't watch a lot of Fox News videos, but I did take the time to watch this offering. It is brilliant. The doctor is brilliant in her delivery. She says nearly verbatim what is being shared in our discussion! In particular, I like when she says, 'there are people walking around enjoying life with metastatic cancer and we wouldn't even know it - enjoying life.'

That is powerful stuff, right there!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  Jasper2529  replied to  CB @1.3.1    5 years ago

Hi CB - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    5 years ago

Something does not pan out for me. He is stage 4 pancreatic cancer, no? And if I remember correctly it had metastasized. I am not sure I can accept his announcement in full.  I will keep an open mind, nevertheless.

If cancer does not kill him, will something else. . . .?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  CB @2    5 years ago

CB,

I spent a lot of time at Sloan-Kettering (not for cancer) and I would hear amazing stories like this all the time. It sounds like they will get this round. There is no promise that there won't be one in the future, but it's all about buying time till a new treatment. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    5 years ago

I HEAR YOU! Loud and Clear.Thank Go—goodness for "mileage." I am just scared for Alex.

I remember back before 2000, a famous person (baller) who I can not recall his name right now, got himself pushed to the front of the line for a transplant (big news story) and then succumbed to cancer.  

Lastly, I have been so surprised by the cancer deaths in my own family - while I was keeping hope alive, that now I am guarded when I hear something like this from Alex. But, let me state emphatically, I am on "team Trebek!"

lib50
Professor Silent
2.2  lib50  replied to  CB @2    5 years ago

I look to Jimmy Carter and his stage 4 metastasized melanoma and the new treatment for that put him in remission, been over 4 years.  Gave me so much hope with my stage 3.  There's been so much improvement in cancer treatments. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.2.1  CB  replied to  lib50 @2.2    5 years ago

Sure thing! And you are correct! I forgot about brother Jimmy! So pleased about all of this! (Big Smile.)

Enoch
Masters Quiet
2.2.2  Enoch  replied to  lib50 @2.2    5 years ago

Dear Friend Lib50: I am available, if interested for such pastoral care and support as you may wish and need by site private note, then by private email.

Enoch.

lib50
Professor Silent
2.2.3  lib50  replied to  Enoch @2.2.2    5 years ago

Thank you so much Enoch, I appreciate that very much.  And may take you up on that one day.  I'm in the midst of so many life changes I can barely think about my health and when it settles I plan to bring more balance into my life.  Your posts are always so inspiring and remind me to brighten my light instead of my fight. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lib50 @2.2.3    5 years ago

Good luck with your stage 3, lib. Take good care of yourself and please keep me in the loop on how things are going, so I don't worry. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
2.2.5  charger 383  replied to  lib50 @2.2.3    5 years ago

good luck and best wishes

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  lib50 @2.2.3    5 years ago

Good luck, lib!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

There are times when people defy a cancer diagnosis , although stage 4 cancer is usually ultimately a death sentence. 

There are well known people who have survived cancer, sometimes even when it had already spread to other parts of their bodies. Lance Armstrong the bicycle racer had metastatic cancer in the late 1990's but is alive today.  The actress Valerie Harper said in 2013 that she had been given just months to live after her lung cancer had spread to her brain. She is still alive six years later. President Carter, as a 90 year old was diagnosed with cancer in his liver which then partially spread to his brain. Four or five years later he is of course, still alive. 

My sister in Texas has told me about the husband of a friend of hers. He had cancer for over 20 years, in virtually every part of his body. For much of those 20 years the cancer would go into remission only to return again and again. Unfortunately the man recently died, but I do believe he felt some sense of accomplishment and pride in having cheated death for so long. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

My late sister-in-law was in remission for more than 30 years.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

My father fought non-Hodgkin's lymphoma for 15 years. When he was first diagnosed, he was Stage 4 and there was a tumor in his kidney. They removed his kidney, got him started on chemo and he went into remission. He went in and out of remission for this 15 years. At the end, tho, there was nothing more they could do for him

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2    5 years ago

That is not uncommon with adult non-Hodgkins. But you did manage to get 15 more years with him. That is the name of the game with cancer. 

CB
Professor Principal
3.3  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

Amazing and incredible stories. A long-time survivor: Who can ask for more under the circumstances?  Stellar! To be able to be around longer and get some things done and set right.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    5 years ago

I wouldn't get my hopes up....my husband was diagnosed with stage 2 pancreatic cancer.....he had the whipple surgery....then started chemo....then 2 spots appeared on his liver and they were shrinking with chemo so no radiation.... the spots eventual got worse.....he then was in a clinical trial.....that didn't work and then there was nothing else they could do....he never lost any of his hair........he survived just over a year from diagnosis.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.1  pat wilson  replied to  lady in black @5    5 years ago

Same with a dear friend of mine that passed in 2013. She fought it for a year and a half.

Before her diagnosis she was one of the healthiest people I knew.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lady in black @5    5 years ago

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. Each case is different. My MIL had the whipple and only could stand taking oral chemo. She was 85 when she was dxed and lived to see her 90th birthday. It's a hard road watching someone you love die. Again, so sorry. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6  Krishna    5 years ago

There have been documented cases of people curing themselves of "incurable diseases". In many cases its because of"mind over matter'. Several decades ago I read Anatomy of an Illness (Norman Cousins) .

The work of Bernie Siegel...

There are also numerous cases where prayer seems to work. 

There are also many unconventional forms of medicine (some of these are not legit-- but some are). 

For many decades the powerful AMA lobby has succeeded in suppressing information about some of these alternative methods of healing, but times are changing. For example, at one tine Acupuncture was considered akin to Voodoo in the West-- now its gained much wider acceptance. And there are also forms of "energy healing" such as Reiki., . .the work of Barbara Brennen.... 

And modern breakthroughs in nutrition ...learning about The Microbiome .. .Mitochondria ...Genetics...Stem Cells... .Core Energetics ... Network Spinal Analysis (starting at about 4:45) a Higher Order Chiropractic).. .and so much more!