╌>

Why Mexico was pelted with hail on the last day of June

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  48 comments

Why Mexico was pelted with hail on the last day of June
In Mexico, summer usually means lots of sun and eighty-plus degree temperatures. But on Sunday, a freaky, shocking sight: More than three feet of hail came crashing down in the Guadalajara area, partially burying cars and damaging hundreds of houses.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

I thought that this bit of earth science would be interesting. How many of you knew how this could happen?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
How many of you knew how this could happen?

Not me, that's for sure. It looks like snow. That's a lot of freaking hail

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Had a few hailstorms up here last weekend, but nowhere near what the Guadalajarans received. Glad they got through it ok.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freefaller @1.3    5 years ago

Last time we had anything this bad (about 4 inches of the stuff) it trashed my cars. Lots of little dimples all over it.

Nothing beats mother nature. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  Freefaller  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.1    5 years ago

That sucks, sorry to hear.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.3  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.1    5 years ago

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Happens in TX occasionally

the hail was three feet high in the fields a few years ago,

then it melted in a few hours causing flooding.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    5 years ago

I've heard of freakish hail storms but this was exceptionally intense.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Was it caused by "Global Warming"?

(Sorry, but I couldn't open the article video.)

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1  cjcold  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

Hard to define what is AGW. We are living in a changing world.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.2  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

Maybe, maybe not.  It's pretty much impossible to pin a single short term storm on  long term climatic change.  People from both sides of the argument that try to do so just appear silly.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.2.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Freefaller @3.2    5 years ago

Of course, no single weather event can be used to confirm CAGW and I don't know of anyone who is up on CAGW that ever claimed that.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.2.1    5 years ago

I guess it was from people who weren't up on CAGW then

Junior Participates
3.2.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Freefaller @3.2.2    5 years ago

Good guess. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    5 years ago

No, it was not. It was caused by an unusually slow moving hail storm. The video made a point of saying it was not.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4  cjcold    5 years ago

So do we ignore an obvious trend?

Junior Participates
4.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  cjcold @4    5 years ago

Not so much as ignore but just deny,  deny, deny  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.1    5 years ago

Look, I believe in climate change, but these events have happened before. When it starts to happen weekly or so, then I will call it a trend. 

The item for the week that has to do with climate change was the shift in the jet stream that had Paris with an all-time high of 117 degrees F. 

Junior Participates
4.1.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.1    5 years ago
Look, I believe in climate change, but these events have happened before. When it starts to happen weekly or so, then I will call it a trend. 

I completely agree.  I was mainly responding indirectly to one commenter who was trying, albeit lamely, to use this event to ridicule the FACT that CAGW is with us and getting worse.  

Junior Participates
4.1.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    5 years ago
If that was true, you should be able to provide scientific evidence of it.

It's no use to keep giving the scientific evidence to people who've decided a priori to refuse on a political basis or religious one (often both) to accept any of it.  

Junior Participates
4.1.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    5 years ago
Show us the science, if you can.

It's no use showing scientific evidence to people who've decided a priori to refuse on a political basis or religious one (often both) to accept any of it.  

Junior Participates
6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    5 years ago

The usual science-denying troglodytes will start their "where's the global warming yuk-yuk-yuk" without, of course, understanding a single thing about what that means.  First of all, the full term for it the climate change model is "Catastrophic Anthropogenic Global Warming" and the consequences of that phenomenon are increasing randomness (see: "entropy") of weather events and paradoxical persistent weather anomalies.  For example, while the U.S. had a fairly hefty snowfall this past Winter, the Arctic was enjoying yet another relatively balmy one.  The Arctic sea ice is on track to having its greatest loss ever recorded this year:

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     5 years ago

Incredible, 3 feet of hail in June...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @7    5 years ago

Been there, not a bad vacation but you cannot drive at night, particularly outside of town, all sorts of cattle, mule deer and other wildlife collect on the hot roads to survive the cold nights, often freezing nights.

And they won't move...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
8  TᵢG    5 years ago

Nature be wild and crazy.   

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @8    5 years ago

Indeedy. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
9  Enoch    5 years ago

At least in upstate NY hail is usually something which happens in warmer times.

I lack the knowledge of weather science to give an account of why.

What is noteworthy here is the amount.

That's a lot of hail.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch @9    5 years ago

Exactly Enoch. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10  bccrane    5 years ago

Looks to me that a slow moving thunderstorm with heavy rain and hail accumulated in the streets after flowing off the roof tops (from the picture the street with the 3' of hail was the lowest point and natural catch all).  The storm may have only produced 3 to 6 inches it just sounds more impressive where the hail flowed to that it was 3 feet deep.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.1  Freefaller  replied to  bccrane @10    5 years ago
The storm may have only produced 3 to 6 inches

Multiple news and weather services state that over 3 feet (1 meter) fell (not flowed) on parts of Guadalajara.  One particularly telling photo was of some semi's parked in a big flat parking lot sitting in hail up to the tops of their front wheel wells

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10.1.1  bccrane  replied to  Freefaller @10.1    5 years ago

Not "fell" accumulated.  The trucks were parked up against a barricade that didn't allow the hail to flow on as evidenced by the picture of the man with bicycle with the same trucks in the background.  The picture of the street with the cars and vans, please note the cars are in a nose down position, meaning they were floating in water with hail stones, the cars wouldn't have been in that position if it were strictly hail stones.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.1.2  Freefaller  replied to  bccrane @10.1.1    5 years ago

While I'm sure what you described happened in places I'm also sure the multiple sources I looked at were correct as well.  Meh it's not important, cya.

Junior Participates
10.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bccrane @10.1.1    5 years ago

You seem to be fixated at trying to come up with reasons to downplay this event.  Why is that? 

Junior Participates
10.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bccrane @10    5 years ago

Here's a video that would seem to contradict your opinion:

While it doesn't show 2m deep hail at the time it was taken it shows a large wide street and no nearby pitched roofs that would have had the effect you described. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
11  bccrane    5 years ago

Yes I seen that video of a truck moving through hail stones floating in deep water.  

If there was three feet of hail stones on those roofs they would have collapsed, since the damage that was reported were windows and doors being pushed in by the weight of the hail and water, I believe that would mean the hail flowed off the roofs and into the streets.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
11.1  bccrane  replied to  bccrane @11    5 years ago

Atheist, that was supposed to be a reply to your 10.2, why it ended up as a new comment I have no idea.

Junior Participates
11.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bccrane @11    5 years ago
I believe that would mean the hail flowed off the roofs and into the streets.

Believe whatever you want.  You have yet to show any evidence for it though. And it seems you've run into some contradicting beliefs as well unless I misunderstood the roof references.  If the flat roofs had collapsed how could that have added to the street level of the hail and if they didn't collapse (and you shown no evidence that they did) then they would add anything either other than slowly through melting perhaps.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
11.2.1  bccrane  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.2    5 years ago

Sorry, just came across your reply.  The best evidence I have seen from the photos that the hail flowed to where it accumulated around the trucks to 3 feet deep, is the photo of the trucks in the background with the man next to the barriers and there being no hail on the barrier blocks and yet there is 3 foot of hail next to them.