╌>

Omar introduces resolution defending boycott of Israel, likens it to boycotts of Nazi Germany, Soviet Union

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  5 years ago  •  36 comments

Omar introduces resolution defending boycott of Israel, likens it to boycotts of Nazi Germany, Soviet Union

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S. Rep.   Ilhan Omar   proposed a resolution this week supporting the right to boycott Israel, likening the boycott of the Jewish state to boycotts of Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union.

Omar’s  resolution seeks to push back against U.S. laws banning the boycott of Israel and affirms the right of Americans to organize boycotts of foreign countries if they so wish.

While the resolution doesn’t explicitly name Israel or the pro-Palestinian Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, she told media outlets that the resolution concerns the Jewish state.

“We are introducing a resolution … to really speak about the American values that support and believe in our ability to exercise our   First Amendment   rights in regard to boycotting,” Omar told   Al-Monitor .

“And it is an opportunity for us to explain why it is we support a nonviolent movement, which is the BDS movement,” she added.

The resolution attracted some Republican detractors, with Rep. Lee Zeldin slamming Omar for introducing it, saying she brought “her hateful twist” by propping up the BDS movement.

“Israel is our best ally in the Mid East; a beacon of hope, freedom & liberty, surrounded by existential threats,” Zeldin wrote in a tweet. “Shame on Rep Omar for bringing her hateful twist on that reality to House Foreign today, propping up the BDS movement & blaming Israel for all of its challenges.”

The resolution affirms the right to boycott as an expression of free speech and cites examples of boycott movements against Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, and apartheid South Africa.

“Americans of conscience have a proud history of participating in boycotts to advocate for human rights abroad including ... boycotting Nazi Germany from March 1933 to October 1941 in response to the dehumanization of the Jewish people in the lead-up to the Holocaust,” Omar said in the resolution introduced Tuesday.

Omar’s measure will be co-sponsored by U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., the first female Palestinian-American lawmaker in Congress who openly supports a one-state solution in the Israeli-Palestine conflict, and U.S. Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga.

But the resolution will likely lead to yet another clash with her fellow Democrats who are mulling a resolution condemning the boycott movement.

The House Foreign Affairs Committee passed Wednesday a resolution that accuses the BDS movement of promoting “principles of collective guilt, mass punishment and group isolation,” the   Times of Israel   reported.

It remains unclear if the resolution will be introduced to the whole Congress next week amid fears over intra-party clashes.

“I think the timing would not be very wise to take up additional measures around the Middle East,” Rep. Mark Pocan told   Politico . “Donald Trump just brought us all together, so let’s take advantage of that.”

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Wonder what happened to the Congress folks who were elected to govern and support the U.S.??  This new group of Freshman - I just don't know where their actual loyalties are.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1.1  cms5  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago
Wonder what happened to the Congress folks who were elected to govern and support the U.S.??

Be careful here...you will be labeled a racist for questioning this woman of color.

I understand she and Talib are planning a trip to Israel. Will they allow them entry into their country?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  cms5 @1.1    5 years ago
Will they allow them entry into their country?

I wouldn't but that is exactly what they probably want.

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1.1.2  cms5  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.1    5 years ago

Which is why she proposed the resolution first. She wants to be a 'victim'.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  cms5 @1.1    5 years ago
"Will they allow them entry into their country?"

BDS supporters have been sporadically disallowed, but Omar and Tlieb have done this to challenge Netanyahu, and if he refuses them, because they are American Congresswomen, he is smart enough to know they are trying to start an international incident. I believe he won't stop them. In fact perhaps he will invite them to tour Yad Vashem, and the medical facilities where Israeli doctors provide free heart operations for Palestinian children.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.1    5 years ago

Either way I will LMAO when Netenyahu says not only no, But HELL NO!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.3    5 years ago

Excellent, insightful comment! Omar and her anti-American/anti-semitic/anti-Israel Squad are playing the pre-school Candyland board game while Netanyahu and other Free World leaders are playing 3-D chess. 

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago

I cannot pray enough that this hateful, racist, vindictive witch will get thrown out on the next election along with the other three "Horsewomen", and that she just vanishes back into the mediocrity she came from...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    5 years ago

She's trying to make this sound make this sound like an "individual" 1st amendment right when what it really would do would be to make it illegal for any "company" to do business with Israel in any way.

This will fail miserably and she knows it so one wonders what her endgame is.   Maybe she knows her time in congress is limited and simply wants to get her antisemitic bile out there front and center.   Who knows.

Her comparisons of boycotts on Germany and the USSR back in the day are almost childlike in their naivete.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @2    5 years ago
Her comparisons of boycotts on Germany and the USSR back in the day are almost childlike in their naivete.

whenever fools drag Nazis and Hitler into a debate, you know they have no real point and are really just trolling.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    5 years ago

A corollary of Godwins Law.  

We can call this Omars Law.

"Comparing anything to Nazi Germany in an attempt to support a particular narrative"

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    5 years ago

Pretty much the sheer height of desperation I'd say.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @2    5 years ago
She's trying to make this sound make this sound like an "individual" 1st amendment right when what it really would do would be to make it illegal for any "company" to do business with Israel in any way.

Resolutions don't create law Sparty. A Resolution can't make anything legal or illegal. Sheesh, hyperbolic much? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Dulay  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.1    5 years ago
It's a resolution of hate.

Are you pretending that you actually READ the resolution BF? 

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.4  Dulay  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.3    5 years ago

I take that as a yes. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2.5  Dulay  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.3    5 years ago

Your claim that I am deflecting is a deflection. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    5 years ago

It's great that Omar was elected by her "Constituents to the "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA's" congress. jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg

Would hate to see what she would be like if she was elected into office anywhere else (Duck). jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

I can't believe I'm living through it. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
6  SteevieGee    5 years ago

This is just another sortie in the great religious wars.  Omar doesn't like Israel because Israel hates Palestinians.  Palestinians are mostly Muslims.  American Christians support Israel because they hate Muslims more than they hate jews and the jews are killing Muslims which is good for Christians although there are lots of Christians who hate Jews also.  Am I making sense so far?  No?  It doesn't make sense to me either.  They are ALL a bunch of haters and killers.  As a proud atheist I don't have a horse in this race.  The whole mess is a bunch of superstitious nonsense.  They are all idiots.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    5 years ago

Trudeau: BDS is anti-Semitic, goes against Canadian values

'BDS IS ANTISEMITIC,' RULES GERMAN BUNDESTAG IN LANDMARK VOTE

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    5 years ago

Schumer: Boycott movement against Israel is ‘anti-Semitic’