╌>

Let’s talk about fruit

Category:  Wine & Food

By:  kathleen  •  5 years ago  •  79 comments

Let’s talk about fruit
What fruit would you pick if you only could pick one for life.

If you could only pick one fruit to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I know this is a hard question, because there are so many that are delicious.

Please be civil... thank you..

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

Avacado and durian.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1  Sunshine  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

Do you have an Avacado tree?  My daughter who lives Florida too has huge Avacados growing this year from hers.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Sunshine @2.1    5 years ago

No I don't have an avacado tree and I do live in Florida. 

I perfer the California or Mexican avacado's. They are smaller and have more fiber in them than the Florida avacado. IMO, a bit tastier as well. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    5 years ago
I perfer the California or Mexican avacado's. They are smaller and have more fiber in them than the Florida avacado. IMO, a bit tastier as well. 

I agree. I was staying with a Friend in Ft Myers FL for a month and tried some of their avacados and I found that although they are larger they are less flavorful and not as firm as the ones we have here in So Calif and from Mexico. When I made guacamole they turned a bit soupy after a short while. 

But, when in Rome.......(smile)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Fresh soft juicy peach cannot be beat. 

I have also come to love grapefruit. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    5 years ago

I would pick either watermelon or bananas.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Put me down for grapes.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7  Sunshine    5 years ago

Strawberries 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8  Raven Wing    5 years ago

Bananas - not so much for their taste, but, for their important nutritional value

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @8    5 years ago

I also think of bananas as a kind of comfort food.  I eat at least one a day.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8.1    5 years ago

As we age our bodies tend to deal with food a bit differently, and potassium is a must have nutrient. That was brought home quite drastically when my Mother collapsed and went into spasms one morning. When I called 911 the responders said she was in bad shape and rushed her to the hospital. The diagnosis was that she was very low in potassium and she was told to eat a banana everyday as they are very high in potassium. 

While I like many other types of fruit, if I could have only one kind I would pick bananas to maintain the necessary potassium level. While there are supplements that can do that, there is nothing that works as well as bananas.

TTGA
Professor Silent
8.1.3  TTGA  replied to  Raven Wing @8.1.1    5 years ago
potassium is a must have nutrient

That works both ways Raven.  Too little potassium can lead to convulsions, too much leads to congestive heart failure.  That's what killed my mother.  The potassium level in her blood went up and the doctors couldn't get it down.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  TTGA @8.1.3    5 years ago
That works both ways Raven. 

True. Too much of a good thing can be as bad as too little. That is why I have blood tests on a regular basis in order to make sure that the potassium and other necessary elements are at a good balance. I don't eat a banana everyday, but, at least once a week, in addition to other food that provide potassium, in order to maintain a good balance.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    5 years ago

Strawberries

TTGA
Professor Silent
10  TTGA    5 years ago

Apples.  Specifically, Granny Smith apples.  They have just the right blend of sweetness/tartness for me.  They also make really good pies.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10.1  Freefaller  replied to  TTGA @10    5 years ago
They also make really good pies

Love Granny Smiths, you may want to try stuffing a couple pork chops with some chopped up grannies mmmmm mmmmm good.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
10.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Freefaller @10.1    5 years ago

You should also try a softer apple like a McIntosh. It pairs nicely with some chopped up sweet onion and jalapeno stuffed into chicken breasts.

TTGA
Professor Silent
10.1.3  TTGA  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.1    5 years ago

Kathleen,

Great idea about the fruit.

Not too much time (grandson want's popcorn) but you sound like you enjoy cooking and food in general.  Have you ever thought of starting a food group to collect everyone's favorite recipes?  We used to have one that was full of good recipes but it got deleted by mistake.  If you or anyone else is interested in starting one, let me know on PN and I'll help explain the format that seems to work best.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
10.1.5  Raven Wing  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.4    5 years ago

Count me in for that one. I love to cook and have a wide variety of recipes from different cuisines. Some that were passed down from my Great-Grandmothers and Grandmothers. Old fashioned maybe, but, still delicious.

Plus, I really like to learn new recipes have a change of pace now and then. 

Sounds like fun! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent
10.1.7  TTGA  replied to  Kathleen @10.1.4    5 years ago

Far Out!!  Tomorrow should be good.  I'll have grandkids here but they don't get in my way when I'm on the computer.  See avatar.  We've got the younger three.  Kaylie, the oldest, is now 13 and doesn't need a babysitter (at least to hear her tell it).  Actually, she has a summer job with a local farmer.  She and a number of her classmates are spending the summer making an intimate acquaintance with hoes and weeds.  The farmer actually has a tiller on his tractor that would do the job but he figures it will give the kids some spending money and teach them about hard work.

charger 383
Professor Silent
11  charger 383    5 years ago

Oranges

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
11.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @11    5 years ago

I'm with Charger on this - oranges.  Here they are grown and fresh. My favourite juice as well, which used to be grapefruit juice, but it interferes with certain medications.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
12  Snuffy    5 years ago

This is a really tough choice as there are so many really good fruits that I enjoy all the time. And some good dietary suggestions above also.  But if I really had to pick only one fruit that I would be allowed to eat for the rest of my days I think it would be blackberries.

but turning my back on any other fruit????   Kathleen, I think you're being really mean here.   ;)

Enoch
Masters Quiet
13  Enoch    5 years ago

Honeycrisp Apple.

So much can be done with them.

By themselves, also very savory.

Great topic.

So many fruits, so little time.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
14  Paula Bartholomew    5 years ago

Watermelon. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
14.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @14    5 years ago
Watermelon. 

Me too. I remember when we lived in Ft Worth TX there was a watermelon stand just a few blocks from our house in the summer, and they had the most delicious long, stripped yellow watermelons. There were sweeter and meatier than the regular melons. They were brought in from the Rio Grande Valley. 

I can still taste them! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Enoch
Masters Quiet
14.2.1  Enoch  replied to  Raven Wing @14.2    5 years ago

Dear Sister Raven Wing: Growing up we used to have watermelon eating contests in summer camps.

Sticky, but a major yum!

Enoch Wiping My Mouth.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
14.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @14.2.1    5 years ago

Dear Brother Enoch,

When my Friends would come over in the summer we would also have watermelon eating contests. There would be 5 or 6 of us all sitting around scoffing down watermelon and spitting seeds. Which was another contest to see who could spit their seeds the farthest. 

As you say, quite messy and big mess to clean up, with all the seeds all over the place. But, it was worth it. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
15  MrFrost    5 years ago
Let’s Talk About Fruit

[Deleted]

luther28
Sophomore Silent
15.2  luther28  replied to  MrFrost @15    5 years ago

Yes She is, She's a peach of a girl.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
16  luther28    5 years ago

I would have to go with bananas.

Taste good and good for you.

Kavika
Professor Principal
17  Kavika     5 years ago

Am I the only one that picked Durian as a favorite fruit. 

Know as the ''King of Fruits'' it taste is remarkable. The down side is that the smell from the durian is terrible at best. It is a fruit from SE Asia and is banned in many resturants there because of the smell not the taste. 

durian+king+of+fruits.jpg

It Is ME
Masters Guide
18  It Is ME    5 years ago

Plums. If it's running down your chin when you bite into it, it's a GREAT Plum.